|Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in the United States of America, Focke-Wulf Fw 190
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in the USA,
Focke-Wulf Fw 190
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War preserved in the USA. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are as credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War in the United States of America would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
Data current to 15 Nov 2018.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 fighters of the Second World War preserved in the USA by aircraft type, serial number, registration number and location:
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-2 (Wk. Nr. 5476), JG 5, Reg. No. N6152P, being restored to airworthy status by Wade S. Haynes in Anson, Texas. This airframe is thought to be one of the oldest Fw 190s still in existence.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-5/U3 (Wk. Nr. 151227), "White A", coded DG+HO, 4./JG54. This aircraft was flown by Paul Rätz of JG 54 when it crash landed in a forest in Voibakala near Saint Petersburg on 9 July 1943 due to sabotage of the oil lines. It was discovered in the same location in 1988 or 1989 and was recovered in 1990 or 1991. Reg. No. N19027. It is currently the only airworthy Fw 190 with an original BMW 801 engine.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8 (Wk. Nr. 173056), "White 14", I./JG11. Built in 1944 at Marienburg, this aircraft is painted as a fighter flown by Oberstleutnant Hans Dortenman. It incorporated many parts made by Flug Werk. Reg. No. N91169, was owned by Don Hansen, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In 2015 Wk. Nr. 173056 went to Albury, New South Wales, Australia.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8 (Wk. Nr. 173889), "Yellow 4", 7./JG 1, being restored by Dr Mark Timken for the Collings Foundation in Stow, Massachusetts.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 (Wk. Nr. 210096), with the Collings Foundation in Stow, Massachusetts.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-6 (Wk. Nr. 550470), "White 7", 1./JG 26, being restored to airworthy status by Brian O'Farrell in Pembroke Pines, Florida. It is a composite aircraft using parts from (Wk. Nr. 140668). The aircraft was originally built by AGO Flugzeugwerke. It was previously owned by Malcolm Laing in Lubbock, Texas. Reg. No. N126JG.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 (Wk. Nr. 601088), coded <1+~ , “Black 8”. This airframe is from IV (Sturm)./JG 3 "Udet" Geschwader, and was captured by the RAF intact. Initially designated USA 12 or USA 15, it became No. 24, then after it came to the USA it was assigned the foreign equipment number FE-120 and later T2-120. It is on long term loan from the National Air and Space Museum, at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8 (Wk. Nr. 350177), "Blue 1", 12./JG 5. Texas Air Museum in Rio Hondo, Texas.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8 (Wk. Nr. 732070), "Blue 9", 12./JG 5. Also reported as (Wk. Nr. 350185), Texas Air Museum in Rio Hondo, Texas.
(Tomás Del Coro Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-8 (Wk. Nr. 732183), "Blue 4", 12./JG 5. This aircraft was previously located at the Texas Air Museum in Rio Hondo, Texas. It is displayed as the fighter flown by Ltn Rudi Linz in 12./JG 5, a German ace with 70 victories. He was shot down over Norway by a British Mustang Mk. III during the 'Black Friday' raid on 9 February 1945. Reg. No. N90FW, with the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 (Wk. Nr. 211028), "Black 8", 14./JG 26. This aircraft was lost on 18 March 1945, when the pilot, Ofw. Werner Zech (wounded), was shot down by P-51s of 503 Fighter Sqn near Ellinghausesn 5 km west of Twistringen. The aircraft was recovered in 1996 and is being restored by a private owner in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-13 (Wk. Nr. 836017), "Yellow 10", Stab der I./JG26, coded BH+RM, flown by Major Franz Götz. After capture it was donated to the Georgia Technical University, and then fell into disrepair. Later restored in Germany by William Flugzeuge and returned to the Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, Arizona. It was later loaned to the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington when the Champlin museum closed its doors, and is now on display in Everett, Washington as a part of Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection in Everett, Washington. The aircraft has been restored close to flyable condition, Reg. No. N190D, but it will not be flown because it is the only surviving D-13.
(Collings Foundation Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F-8 (Wk. Nr. 931862), built at the Norddeutsche Dormier Werke in early June 1944. This airframe is from 9./JG 5, "White 1", as flown by Unteroffizier Heinz Orlowski, who examined his former aircraft personally in 2005, during its restoration. During the Battle of Fordefjoird over Norway on 9 Feb 1945, “White 1” was in a group of 9 Fw-190s attacking a British raiding force consisting of 32 Bristol Beaufighters and 10 North American P-51 Mustangs. Orlowski shot down a Beaufighter and a Mustang, but in turn was was shot down by a P-51 during this aerial battle known as the "Black Friday" engagement. Wk. Nr. 931682 was recovered from its crash site in Norway and taken to the Royal Norwegian Air Force Aircraft Museum at the Flesland Airport. Originally under restoration in Kissimmee, Florida, USA by The White 1 Foundation, it was transferred to The Collings Foundation in 2012. Reg. No. N91FW. It is being restored to airworthy status by American Aero Services for the Collings Foundation in Stow, Massachusetts.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F-8/R1 (Wk. Nr. 931884), “White 7", I./SG2, coded KT+ZS. This aircraft was initially built as an A-4 (Wk. Nr. 640069), but was later rebuilt as an F-8. It was captured intact by the US and was assigned the foreign equipment number FE-117 and later T2-117. This aircraft is preserved in the National Air and Space Museum (NASM), Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Virginia.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N
In 1997, Flug + Werk GmbH, a German company, began building new Fw 190 A-8s, with a run of 20 aircraft being produced. These aircraft are new reproduction builds from the ground up, using many original dies, plans, and other information from the war. The construction was sub-contracted to Aerostar SA of Bac?u, Romania; both companies have been involved in a number of warbird replica projects.
Werk numbers (Wk. Nr.) continued from where German war production numbers ended, with the new Fw 190 A-8s being identified as "Fw 190 A-8/N" (N for Nachbau, meaning "replica"). A fewof these Fw 190s were fitted with original tail wheel assemblies salvaged from a small cache remaining from the Second World War. Initial flights of the Fw 190A-8/N were carried out in November 2005.
As original BMW 801 engines were no longer available, a Chinese licensed Soviet-designed engine, the Shvetsov ASh-82FN 14-cylinder twin-row radial engine of similar configuration and slightly smaller displacement (41.2 litres versus 41.8 in the original BMW powerplants) was installed. The Soviet engines powered a number of the Fw 190s former opponents including the Lavochkin La-5 and La-7. A few customers specified American Pratt & Whitney R-2800 motors be installed in their model, even though those engines are larger than the ASh-82 with different mounting points requiring some modification. As part of the run of 20 examples, FlugWerk also produced a limited number of "long nose" Fw 190D examples powered by Allison V-1710s.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990002), painted as (Wk. Nr. 739447). Previously Reg. No. D-FMFW. Previously owned by the Military Aviation Museum, Reg. No. N447FW, Erickson Aircraft Collection, Madras Oregon. Airworthy.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 D-9 (Wk. Nr. 990003). Reg. No. N623TB, Military Aviation Museum, Virginia Beach, Virginia. Airworthy.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990005). Reg. No. N190BR, Military Aviation Museum, Virginia Beach, Virginia. Airworthy.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990010), painted as (Wk. Nr. 980574), Reg. No. N190RF, Rudy Frasca, Urbana, Illinois. Airworthy.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990011), painted as (Wk. Nr. 583661), Reg. No. N190AF, Tri-State Warbird Museum, Batavia, Ohio.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-5 (Wk. Nr. 990019), Reg. No. N190DK, Daniel L. Kirkland, Kingman, Arizona. Airworthy.
Focke-Wulf Ta 152H-0/R-11 (Wk. Nr. 1500010), coded CW+CJ, "Green 4", JG301, USA 11, Reg. No. 32. This Ta 152 is the only existing example of this fighter in the world today. The British recovered Wk. Nr. 1500010 in Aalborg, Denmark, at the end of hostilities. They turned the airplane over to “Watson’s Whizzers", an American unit charged with collecting Luftwaffe aircraft for further study. Lt Harold McIntosh flew ‘020 to Melun, France, where it was loaded aboard the British aircraft carrier HMS Reaper and shipped Newark Army Airfield, New Jersey. From Newark, McIntosh flew this Ta 152 to Freeman Field, Indiana. The airplane was later transferred to Wright Field, Ohio, to undergo extensive flight testing. This aircraft was assigned the foreign equipment number FE-112, later T2-112. After testing, the Army stored the aircraft and then turned it over to the National Air Museum in 1960.
Research conducted late in 1998 may have revealed the airplane’s true identity as Werk-Nummer 150010, not 150003 or ‘020 as has been widely reported. This places the airframe toward the end of the range of pre-production H-0 models, a variant marking the transition from the Ta 152 prototypes to full production Ta 152H-1 airplanes. It was probably built at Focke-Wulf’s production facility at Cottbus, Germany, in December 1944, and delivered to Erprobungskommando Ta 152 at Rechlin, Germany, for service testing. As with most Ta 152s produced, ‘020’ was apparently transferred to Jagdgeswader (fighter squadron) JG 301 in early 1945. A Green ‘4’ was painted on the fuselage and this may have been the squadron identification and radio call sign “Green 4”. The aircraft has a wooden tail and only (Wk. Nr. 150003) and (Wk. Nr. 150010) were fitted with this and on historical photos the overpainted remains of the code CW+CJ is visible which belongs to (Wk. Nr. 150010). (Wk. Nr. 150020) was coded CW+CT. Data courtesy of Peter W. Cohausz. This aircraft is stored in the National Air and Space Museum (NASM), Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Virginia.