|Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in the United Kingdom, Vickers Wellington
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in the United Kingdom,
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War preserved in the United Kingdom. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War in the United Kingdom would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in the UK, including captured German and Japanese warplanes, are listed on separate pages on this web site.
Data current to 5 Feb 2020.
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in the United Kingdom by aircraft type, serial number, registration number and location:
(IWM Photo HU 107810)
Vickers Wellington Mk. I (Serial No. P9249), overhead view, ca 1940.
(IWM Photo HU 107812)
Vickers Wellington Mk. IC bombers of No. 149 Squadron in flight, circa August 1940.
(IWM Photo HU 107786)
Vickers Wellington Mk. IC, with aircrew from No. 75 (New Zealand) Squadron at Feltwell, UK, October 1941.
(Alan Wilson Photos)
Vickers Wellington Mk. IA (Serial No. N2980), "R-for-Robert", built in 1939 at Brooklands. This aircraft flew with 149 Squadron and later 37 Squadron, Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, Surrey. This aircraft took part in the RAF's daylight bombing raids on Germany early in the Second World War but later lost power during a training flight on 31 December 1940 and ditched in Loch Ness. Most of the aircrew survived except for the rear gunner, who was killed when his parachute failed to open. The aircraft was recovered from the bottom of Loch Ness in September 1985 and restored in the late 1980s and 1990s.
Vickers Wellington Mk. T10 (Serial No. MF628). This Wellington was delivered to RAF No. Maintenance Unit (18 MU) for storage at RAF Tinwald Downs' Dumfries, as a Wellington B Mk. X, on 11 May 1944. In March 1948 the front gun turret was removed and it was converted to a T.10 for its role as a postwar aircrew trainer; the RAF Museum later refitted the front gun turret in keeping with its original build as a B Mk. X (wartime mark numbers used Roman numerals, Arabic numerals were adopted postwar). In Autumn 2010, this aircraft was taken to the RAF Museum's site at Cosford for restoration. It is currently on display in the Royal Air Force Museum London, Hendon.