|Warplanes of the Second World War Preserved in Germany
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in Germany
(Note: Surviving Luftwaffe aircraft around the world are documented on other pages on this website)
Data current to 19 Nov 2018.
(Ra Boe Photo)
Arado Ar 96B-1, (Wk. Nr. 425462), NU+CF. This aircraft has been restored using parts of three wrecks and is currently displayed in the Deutsches Technik Museum in Berlin. This Ar 96B-1 has a newly minted fuselage based on a pattern made from a wreck salvaged from a lake. The wings came from an Avia C.2B, built in Czechoslovakia after the end of the Second World War. Sweden provided a number of parts to the museum from Sweden, from an Ar 96, which had been lost in 1944. This aircraft was salvaged and flown by the Swedish Air Force until 1954.
The Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin (German Museum of Technology), was founded in 1982 in Berlin, Germany. This museum exhibits a large collection of historical technical artifacts. The museum’s main emphasis is on rail transport, but it also features exhibits of industrial, maritime and aviation technology. The museum also contains a science center called Spectrum. A Douglas C-47 Skytrain is on display on the roof within view of the Tempelhof Airport. The museum contains an enormous railway collection and a large aircraft section which includes a Messerschmitt Bf 110, Flak cannon, Junkers Ju 87 Stuka and a V-1 flying bomb.
(Karsten Palt Photo)
Arado Ar 96B-1, (Wk. Nr. unknown), Avia AG, Prague, 1943, 410a (340 hp) motor. This aircraft is preserved in the Deutschestechnik Museum, Berlin, Germany.
Messerschmitt Bf 109B/V10a (Wk. Nr. 1010). This is the only surviving Bf 109 prototype airframe known to exist. Reg. No. D-IAKO, Oberschleißheim, Munich.
Bachem Ba 349A-1 Natter replica on display in the Deutsches Museum, Munich, Germany. This Natter is said to have been reconstructed partly from sub-assemblies that survived the end of the war. This machine is of the experimental type as launched from the steel tower and is painted to look like an M17.
(Andreas Fränzel Photo)
Bücker Bü 133C Jungmeister, aerobatic biplane trainer, on display in the Deutsches Museum, Flugwerft Schleißheim, Germany.
(Simmon Boddy Photo)
Bücker Bü 181 Bestmann, trainer and light transport on display in the Deutsches Museum, Flugwerft Schleißheim, Germany.
DFS 230A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120-02), KA+1-52, replica containing original parts on display in the Luftwaffen Museum der Bundeswehr, Berlin-Gatow, Germany.
(Dornier Museum Friedrichshafen Photo)
Dornier Do 16 Wal, reconnaissance flying-boat. Replica of the Dornier Wal N25 at the Dornier Museum Friedrichshafen.
Dornier Do 24T-3 fuselage at the “Technik Museum Speyer”, Speyer, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It was salvaged from Lake Müritz, Germany, in 1991.
Fieseler Fi 103 V-1, FZG 76 flying bomb, on display in the Deutsches Museum, Munich.
Fieseler Fi 103 V-1, FZG 76 flying bomb, being restored in the Militarhistorisches Museum (MHM) Flugplatz-Gatow (previously known as the Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr), Berlin-Gatow.
(Arjun Sarop Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-1 (Wk. Nr. 790), earliest surviving 109 to have seen combat, - ex-J/88/2 (Condor Legion) "6-106", ex-Bf 109 E-3, ex-Spanish AF "C4E-106", <- -="" span="" style="font-family: 'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14pt;" data-mce-style="font-family: 'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14pt;">Deutsches Museum, Munich.
(Ra Boe Photo)
(Ad Meskens Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 (Wk. Nr. 1407), ex-2./JG 77 "Black 2", ex-Bf 109E-4, ex-14/JG 77, "Red 5", Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-2 (Wk. Nr. 8993), ex GC + KQ, ex-2./JG 3, ex-Bf 109F-4, ex-JG 54 "White 2", ex-9/III JG 5 "Yellow 3", pilot Obgfr. Eugen Britz, crashed 3 April 1943.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 (Wk. Nr. 13605), Reg. No. G-JIMP, "Yellow 12" registered to Mark R. Oliver, Altrincham, UK.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 trop (Wk. Nr. 14753), ex-1./JG 27 "White 3", Aviation Museum Hannover-Laatzen.
(Petr Kadlec Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-4 (Wk. Nr. 19310), ex-BH + XN, ex-4./JG 52 "White 3" "Nesthäkchen", crashed 20 March 1943, Technikmuseum Speyer.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 (Wk. Nr. 410077), ex-RK + FY, ex-IV./JG 54 "<+", Reg. No. VH-BFG.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 (Wk. Nr. unknown), "Black 2+-", D-FD. Messerschmitt Museum.
Hispano HA-1112-M1L c/n 139 C4K-75, movie: Battle of Britain "Yellow 11", Red 7 + - , Reg. No. D-FWME, Messerschmitt Air Company, re-engined with DB605. Airworthy.
Hispano HA-1112-M1L c/n 156 C.4K-87 (D-FMBB), FM+BB , EADS, Messerschmitt Foundation, rebuilt with a DB605 engine. Airworthy.
Hispano HA-1112-M1L c/n 234 C.4K-169 (D-FMGZ), "Yellow 27", Hangar 10 Air Fighter Collection GmbH. Restored to Bf 109 G-12 (two-seat trainer) status with DB605. Airworthy.
Hispano HA-1112-M1L c/n 235 C.4K-172 (D-FMVS), movie: Battle of Britain, ex-Victory Air Museum, <- -="" fighter="" collection="" gmbh="" -----="">
(Piotr Witkowski Photo)
Hispano HA-1109-K1L C.4J-??, <<< Yellow 4 Luftwaffen Museum, Gatow, rebuilt as Bf 109G-2 with DB605 engine.
HA-1109-K1L c/n 54 C.4J-??, Messerschmitt Museum, Manching.
Hispano HA-1112-M1L c/n 194 C.4K-134, movie: Battle of Britain, ex-Victory Air Museum, On limited display at Wittmundhafen AB, marked as "Black 12", rebuilt with a DB 605 engine.
(Ad Meskens Photo)
(Hugh Llewlyn Photo)
Hispano HA-1112-M1L c/n 228 C.4K-170 (N170BG), movie: Battle of Britain "Yellow <", movie: Patton (as P-51B) "743652", "Yellow 4 + -" , Auto und Technik Museum, Sinsheim, rebuilt with DB605 engine.
Hispano HA-1112-M1L c/n 213 C.4K-1, (D-FEHD), "Black 15", Messerschmitt Foundation.
MS 505 Criquet, Reg No. D-EGTY post-war version of the Fi 156 built in France. This aircraft flies with the Fliegendes Museum (Flying Museum), located in Großenhain, Germany.
Fieseler Fi 156 Storch, (Wk. Nr. unknown), EA+WD, Reg No. G-EAWD, Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleissheim, Germany.
Focke-Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz, trainer biplane, on display in the Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleissheim, Germany.
(Clemens Vasters Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5, Red 10, at the Auto & Technik Museum, Sinsheim, Germany.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 (Wk. Nr. 210968), being restores at the Militarhistorisches Museum, Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow, Berlin. This airframe was flown by Karl Fröb of 2./JG 26 when it crashed in Lake Schwerin on 17 April 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-3 (Wk. Nr. 670071), 1./SchG 1, on static display in unrestored condition at the Flugplatzmuseum Cottbus in Cottbus, Brandenburg.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 (Wk. Nr. 400616). This airframe was on display at the Hangar 10 facility in Zirchow, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. It was sold by Platinum Fighter Sales in 2015, current location TBC.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N
In 1997, Flug + Werk GmbH, a German company, began building new Fw 190 A-8s, with a run of 20 aircraft being produced. These aircraft are new reproduction builds from the ground up, using many original dies, plans, and other information from the war. The construction was sub-contracted to Aerostar SA of Bac?u, Romania; both companies have been involved in a number of warbird replica projects.
Werk numbers (Wk. Nr.) continued from where German war production numbers ended, with the new Fw 190 A-8s being identified as "Fw 190 A-8/N" (N for Nachbau, meaning "replica"). A fewof these Fw 190s were fitted with original tail wheel assemblies salvaged from a small cache remaining from the Second World War. Initial flights of the Fw 190A-8/N were carried out in November 2005.
As original BMW 801 engines were no longer available, a Chinese licensed Soviet-designed engine, the Shvetsov ASh-82FN 14-cylinder twin-row radial engine of similar configuration and slightly smaller displacement (41.2 litres versus 41.8 in the original BMW powerplants) was installed. The Soviet engines powered a number of the Fw 190s former opponents including the Lavochkin La-5 and La-7. A few customers specified American Pratt & Whitney R-2800 motors be installed in their model, even though those engines are larger than the ASh-82 with different mounting points requiring some modification.
As part of the run of 20 examples, FlugWerk also produced a limited number of "long nose" Fw 190D examples powered by Allison V-1710s.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990000) is on static display in the Aviation Museum Hannover-Laatzen, Laatzen, Lower Saxony, Germany. It is painted as (Wk. Nr. 170393), "Yellow 11", coded 6./JG1. The largest original part is the tailplane from Fw 190F-8, (Wk. Nr. 583958). The original "Yellow 11" was flown by Feldwebel Alfred Bindseil in April 1944.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990007), painted as (Wk. Nr. 682060), Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr - Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow (Bundeswehr Museum of Military History - Berlin-Gatow Airfield), aka Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990007), painted as (Wk. Nr. 980554), Reg. No. D-FWMV, Airworthy.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990013), Meier Motors, Eschbach, Baden-Württemberg.
Flug + Werk Fw 190 A-8/N (Wk. Nr. 990017), Reg. No. D-FWJS, Manching, Bavaria.
(Alan Wilson Photos)
Commonwealth CA-18 Mustang, RAAF (Serial No. A68-192). Restored in Hong Kong for Ray Hanna during the 1980's as G-HAEC. Appeared in several films and TV productions, including 'Memphis Belle' and 'Empire of the Sun'. Later owned and flown by Rob Davies and then sold to Germany in early 2011. Painted as USAAF (Serial No. 44-72218), WZ-I, "Big Beatiful Doll", Reg. No. D-FBBD.
Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIB (Serial No. BW874), Reg. No. G-CBOE, Meier Motors, Munich. Built by Canadian Car and Foundry (CCF) (Serial No. R30040) as a Sea Hurricane, delivered to 118 Sqn RCAF at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia on 8 Jan 1942. Converted to Mk. XIIA in June 1943. Served with No. 1 Operational Training Unit, Bagotville, Quebec, from 20 Sep 1943 until lost on 15 Nov 1943.
Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (Serial No. 42-7924). This aircraft crashed at Ijsselmeer-Den Oever, Netherlands, 11 March 1943. The wreck is displayed as "QP-F" in the (now closed) Motortechnica Museum, Bad Oyenhausen.
Mitsubishi A6M5 Reisen (Zero), replica of the fuselage section on display at IWM London, Speyer Tecknik Museum.
North American AT-6A Harvard (Serial No. 76556), TA-556, Reg. No. D-FITE. This aircraft is owned by the Air Fighter Academy Collection, Zirchow, Germany.
North American T6J Harvard Mk. 4 (Serial No. 52-8578), Reg. No. D-FABE. Fliegendes Museum, Grossenhain.
North American P-51D-20NA Mustang (Serial No. 44-63473), "Little-ite", Reg. No. D-FUNN, FA. This aircraft is owned by the Air Fighter Academy Collection, Zirchow, Germany.
North American P-51D-20NA Mustang (Serial No. 44-63889), "Queen of Hearts", Reg. No. N4034S, being restored.
North American P-51D-20NA Mustang (Serial No. 44-72773), previously painted as "See Me Later", currently painted as "Lucky Lady VII", Reg. No. D-FPSI, Christoph Nöthinger, Eschbach, Bremgarten Airfield (EDTG). Airworthy.
North American P-51D-25NA Mustang (Serial No. 44-72811), Reg. No. D-FBUN, Stefan Bungarten, Eschbach, Bremgarten Airfield (EDTG). Airworthy.
North American P-51D Mustang (Serial No. 44-73871), Max Alpha Aviation, Eschbach, Bremgarten Airfield (EDTG). Airworthy.
(Alan Wilson Photo)
(Aldo Bidini Photo)
North American TF-51D-25NA Mustang (Serial No. 44-73871), Reg. No. D-FTSI. Meier Motors, Eschbach, Germany. This Mustang initially served with the USAF. It was transferred to the RCAF and served with No. 416 (F) Squadron based at Uplands in Ontario from 1951 to 1952, then moved to Trenton Ontario. It eventually went back to the USA and was sold to Israel in 1959. In 1964 Israel Aircraft Industries sold it to the Pioneer Aeroservice, based in Burbank, California, where it was registered as N7098V. Cavalier Aircraft based in Florida took ownership in 1970, selling it in 1978 to Albert McKinley of Hillsboro, Ohio. In 1990 Elmerward of Pioneer Aeroservice bought the aircraft in Chino. The Mustang was restored and then converted to the TF-51D configuration and flew again in 1991. It was sold to Biggin Hill Aircraft based in the UK, and then sold again to the Ice Strike Corp based in Dover in the UK in February 1996. In September 1996 the Mustang returned to the USA in the service of Mustang Air Inc., based in Wilmington, Delaware. This is where the TF-51D acquired the name "Stephanie", then later "Miss Stephanie" and "Dream Girl". In 2006 the aircraft was put up for sale in Florida, and in the autumn of 2008, the aircraft came to Meier Motors GmbH, based in Bremgarten, where it was registered as D-FTSI.
(Julian Herzog Photos)
North American P-51D-25NA Mustang (Serial No. 44-73254), RCAF (Serial No. 9571), "Louisiana Kid", Reg. No. N6328T. This aircraft was sold in 2012 to Wilhelm Heinz, Degerfeld Airfield, Germany.
(Ricardo Reis Photo)
Rheintochter Anti-Aircraft Missile, Fieseler Fi 103 V-1, FZG 76 flying bomb, and Henschel Hs 293 air to surface missile, on display in the German Museum of Technology Berlin.
(Dave Miller Photo)
Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk. XVIIIe (Serial No, TP280), c/n 6S/676372, Z, ex-HS654, ex-G-BTXE, ex- Reg. No. N280TP, Reg. No. D-FSPT. This aircraft is owned by the Air Fighter Academy Collection, Zirchow, Germany. It arrived at Meier Motors, Eschbach, Germany on 24 March 2015 for reassembly. TP280 was on display within the EAA museum at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, prior to shipment to Germany. It was previously owned by Rudy Frasca and flown from Frasca Field, Urbana, Illinois. It wears the markings of 50 Squadron, which flew during the Malayan Emergency in 1950 with distinctive yellow and black stripes
Supermarine Spitfire T-9, Reg. No. D-FMKN, NL-R.
Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk. VIIIc (Serial No. MV154), Reg. No. D-FEUR. This aircraft is owned by Max Alpha Aviation and operated from Bremgarten. It is painted as (Serial No. MT928), ZX-M, 145 Squadron when that unit was based in the Mediterranean Theatre during the mid to latter stages of the Second World War.
Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk. XIVe (Serial No. MV370), EB-Q, on display at the Luftfahrtmuseum, Hanover. MV370 is an Ex-Indian Air Force instructional airframe (marked T.44), is painted to represent an aircraft which flew with 41 Squadron RAF. This aircraft was airworthy until it suffered off-airport landing in field, near Woodchurch, Kent int the United Kingdom on 7 September 2015. Pilot uninjured. Awaiting repairs, it is currently stored at Biggin Hill in the UK.
Spitfire Tr. 9 (Serial No. MJ772), Reg. No. G-AVAV. Served with RAF 341 Sqn, NL-W, then with 340 Sqn, R, GW-A.
Yakovlev Yak-9UM, Reg. No. D-FAFA, 04. This aircraft is owned by the Air Fighter Academy Collection, Zirchow, Germany.