|Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in China
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in China
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War preserved in China. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are as credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War in Chinba would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
Data current to 23 Oct 2018.
The Chinese Aviation Museum also known as the Datangshan Aviation Museum is located 40 km north of Beijing, China. Part of the museum is located inside a cave in the side of Datangshan Mountain. The cavern was originally part of the tunnels and underground bunker system of Shahezhen Air Base.
(Allen Watkin Photo)
Curtiss C-46 Commando.
de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito
Fairchild PT-19 trainer
Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik.
Ilyushin Il-10, 33. From 1950 to 1952, 254 Il-10 attackers were imported, used by assault aviation divisions of PLAAF. They were used in combat during conflict with Taiwan on border islands in January 1955. The last 103 IL-10's retired in 1972.
Ilyushin Il-10, 1219.
Kawasaki Ki-48, 308.
Douglas C-47 Skytrain.
(G B NZ Photo)
Douglas DC-3, 311.
Lisonov Li-2, 4766.
(G B NZ Photos)
Lisonov Li-2, 8205, licence-built Soviet version of the Douglas DC-3, originally designated PS-84.
North American P-51D Mustang (Serial No. 44-73920). The Chinese Nationalist Air Force obtained the P-51 during the late Sino-Japanese War to fight against the Japanese. After the war, Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalist government used the fighters against insurgent Communist forces. The Nationalists retreated to Taiwan in 1949. Pilots supporting Chiang brought most of the Mustangs with them, where the aircraft became part of the island's defence arsenal. The Communist Chinese captured 39 P-51s from the Nationalists while they were retreating to Taiwan. Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution, Beijing.
North American P-51K Mustang (Serial No. 44-12458), People's Liberation Army Air Force Museum, Changping.
Polikarpov I-16, 5806.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. XVIe (Serial No. TE330. Displayed at the China Aviation Museum, Datangshan. This aircraft was acquired in 2008 from New Zealand where it underwent restoration to static display condition by the Subritzky family of North Shore and was then sold to China via auction.
(Max Smith Photo)
Tupolev Tu-2, 20.
(G B NZ Photo)
Tupolev Tu-2 (2nd of 2).
(Alan Watkin Photo)
Tupolev Tu-4 (Serial No. 4114), c/n 2806501), ex-KJ-1 AEWC, in storage.
Tupolev Tu-4 (Serial No. 4134), c/n 2205008.
(Marcus Smith Photo)
Northrop P-61B-15NO Black Widopw (Serial No. 42-39715), c/n 1234. This aircraft is on static display inside the Beijing Air and Space Museum (BASM) at Beihang University (BUAA) in Beijing, China. This aircraft was manufactured by Northrop Aircraft, Hawthorne CA and accepted by the USAAF on 5 Feb 1945. It was sent to Newark, New Jersey for deployment on 16 Feb 1945 and departed the USA on 26 Feb 1945. It was then assigned to the Tenth Air Force, China Burma India Theater of Operations, 427th NFS, on 3 March 1945. At the end of the war the Communist Chinese came to one of the forward airfields in Sichuan Province and ordered the Americans out, but instructed them to leave their aircraft. It has been reported that there had been three P-61s taken and sometime later the Chinese wrecked two of them. P-61B-15NO c/n 1234 was stricken by the USAAF on 31 December 1945. P-61B-15NO c/n 1234 was turned over to the Chengdu Institute of Aeronautical Engineering in 1947. When the Institute moved to its present location, it did not take this aircraft with them, instead shipping it to BUAA (then called the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics) in 1954 and placed on outside display with other aircraft as part of a museum. Sometime in 2008–2009 the museum closed and the display aircraft were moved to a parking lot approximately 200 metres south. The outer wing sections of P-61B-15NO c/n 1234 were removed during this transfer. By April 2013 the P-61 had been reassembled and repainted in the new BASM building with other aircraft that were previously outside.