|Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in Austria
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in Austria
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War preserved in Austria. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are as credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War in Austria would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
Data current to 24 Oct 2018.
Warplanes of the Second World War preserved in Austria by aircraft type, serial number, registration number and location:
Fielseler Fi 156 Storch (Wk. Nr.), A+WN. Museum of Military History, Vienna.
(Tony Hisgett Photo)
(Alan Wilson Photos)
(Julian Herzog Photo)
Lockheed P-38 Lightning (Serial No. 44-53254), c/n 8509, Reg. No. N25Y, previously "White Lightnin". Tyrolean Jet Service sponsored by Red Bull, Zeltweg, Austria.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-14 (Wk. Nr. 784993), IV./JG 53, "White 13", Aviaticum Wiener Neustadt.
North American B-25J Mitchell (Serial No. 44-86893). Tyrolean Jet Service sponsored by Red Bull, Zeltweg, Austria.
(Aleksandr Markin Photos) (Alan Wilson Photo)
(Julian Herzog Photos)
Vought F4U-4 Corsair (BuNo. 96995), c/n 9149, served with the Honduran Air Force (Serial No. 614), RB-37, Reg. No. OE-EAS. Tyrolean Jet Service sponsored by Red Bull, Zeltweg, Austria.
Austria during and shortly after the end of the Second World War
(IWM Photo, CL 2983)
Supermarine Spitfire Mechanics of RAF No. 43 Squadron, stationed near Klagenfurt, study literature relating to the General Election in Austria during the Allied occupation, ca 1945.
(IWM Photo, CNA 3632)
An abandoned Henschel Hs 126B reconnaissance aircraft on an Austrian airfield in June 1945. The Hs was commonly used as an artillery observation aircraft early on in the war but by 1942 had been relegated to training and glider towing duties. In the background of this photograph are an Arado Ar 96 trainer in Hungarian markings and a Siebel Si 204 liaison aircraft.