|Warplane Survivors USA: Hawaii
Republic F-47N-5-RE Thunderbolt (Serial No. 44-88566), 199th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Hawaii Air National Guard, 1954.
North American F-86L-50-NA Sabre (Serial No. 52-4270), 199th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Hawaii Air National Guard, ca mid 1950s.
Convair F-102 Delta Daggers, 199th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Hawaii Air National Guard, 1962.
Convair F-102 Delta Dagger (Serial No. 54-1372), 199th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Hawaii Air National Guard, 1964.
Convair TF-102A-30-CO Delta Dagger (Serial No. 55-4041), 99th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Hawaii Air National Guard, Hickam AFB, 1964.
(SSgt Bertram Mau, USAF Photo)
McDonnell F-4C-23-MC Phantom II aircraft (Serial No. 64-0793) of the 199th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 154th Composite Group, Hawaii Air National Guard, being armed with AIM-9P Sidewinder and AIM-7E Sparrow missiles at Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii on 21 March 1980.
McDonnell F-4C-20-MC Phantom II (Serial No. 63-7632), 199th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Hawaii Air National Guard, ca 1984.
McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagles, 199th Fighter Squadron, 154th Wing, Hawaii Air National Guard, 1987.
McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle (Serial No. 76-0052), 199th Fighter Squadron, 154th Wing, Hawaii Air National Guard, 1999.
(Tech. Sgt. Shane A. Cuomo, USAF Photo)
McDonnell Douglas F-15B Eagles from the 199th Fighter Squadron, 154th Wing, Hawaii Air National Guard escort the first Hawaii-based C-17 Globemaster III to Hickam AFB, home to eight C-17s. The 15th Airlift Wing and the 154th Wing jointly operate and maintain the aircraft.
(Senior Airman Gustavo Gonzalez, USAF Photo)
Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor, 199th Fighter Squadron operating from Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, 2010.
(Staff Sgt. Mike Meares, USAF Photo)
Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor, 199th Fighter Squadron of the Hawaii Air National Guard, 2009.
Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor, 199th Fighter Squadron of the Hawaii Air National Guard, 2015.
The purpose of Hawaii Warbird Survivors 2002 is to provide aviation enthusiasts with a simple checklist on where to find the surviving retired military aircraft that are preserved in the state of Hawaii. The majority of the "Hawaii Warbird Survivors" are on display outdoors as gate guardians at Hickam, Wheeler and Kaneohe. A number of volunteer organizations and museum staffs in Hawaii have done a particularly good job of preserving the great variety of American combat veteran aircraft displayed here. Hopefully, as more aircraft are recovered from their crash sites or are restored, traded or brought back from private owners, they too will be added to the record. The handbook lists the aircraft on display in Hawaii alphabetically by manufacturer, number and type. This list is also appended with a brief summary of the aircraft presently preserved within the state and a bit of their history in the US military.
Order book: http://bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000012244/Hawaii-Warbird-Survivors-2002.aspx
Order book in Canada: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Hawaii-Warbird-Survivors-Handbook-Where-Harold-A-A-Skaarup/9780595203796-item.html?ikwid=harold+skaarup&ikwsec=Books
Nook book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hawaii-warbird-survivors-2002-harold-a-skaarup/1004997560?ean=9781462048076&itm=53&USRI=Harold+Skaarup
Hawaii Warplane Survivors, updated 15 Sep 2016.
Hickam Air Force Base
Hickam Air Force Base (Hickam AFB) lies about nine miles west of downtown Honolulu, between Pearl Harbor and Honolulu International Air port and 12 miles West of Waikiki. It is the home base for Headquarters, Pacific Air Forces, the Air Force component of the Pacific Command; the host unit at the base is the 15th Air Base Wing. The base is located in some of the most beautiful country in the United States.
Hickam AFB was named in honor of Lieutenant-Colonel Horace M. Hickam, who died in an air crash in 1934. The Quartermaster Corps hacked the airfield from tangled brush and sugar cane fields with construction of the base being completed in 1938. During the Japanese attack on 7 December 1941, 124 people were killed, 37 were missing and 274 were wounded at Hickam. Throughout the Second World War, Hickam AFB was the hub of the Pacific aerial network. The Hawaiian Air Depot supported transient aircraft ferrying troops and supplies to forward areas. The base also played a major role as a training and staging sit and as a supply center for both air and ground troops. After the Second World War, Hickam AFB was represented almost exclusively by Air Transport Command and its successor, MATS (today’s Air Mobility Command), until 1957,when HQ Far East Air Forces moved from Japan to Hawaii, and re-designated Pacific Air Forces. In 1985, Hickam AFB was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Today Hickam AFB is a 2,700-acre work site for nearly 5,000 active-duty military and 2,400 civilian personnel. With dependents, the base population is over 12,000. The 15th Air Base Wing provides support for Air Force units stationed in Hawaii and other places in the Pacific area. For more information contact the 15th Air Base Wing, Public Affairs Division, Hickam AFB, HI 96853-5000, or call (808) 449-6367.
The aircraft on display at Hickam AFB can be viewed along O’Malley Boulevard as you enter the base from the main gate. Brief descriptions of each aircraft will be found at Annex A. From East to West the following aircraft are on display:
Convair F-102A Delta Dagger (Serial No. 54-1373), camouflaged.
Douglas RB-26C Invader (Serial No. 44-35596), BC-596.
Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star (Serial No. 51-6533), c/n 580-5865.
McDonnell Douglas F-4C Phantom (Serial No. 63-15796).
McDonnell Douglas F-4C Phantom (Serial No. 63-7540), c/n 568.
McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle (Serial No. 76-0018), c/n 197/A170.
North American B-25J Mitchell (Serial No. 44-31504), c/n 108-37479, former RCAF (Serial No. 5218), ex Reg. No. N9753Z.
North American F-86E Sabre (Serial No. 50-0653), FU-653, c/n 165-199, “Beauteous Butch II.”
Hawaii Air National Guard (HI ANG), Hickam AFB, 96853-53000, Tel: 808-422-0521. Aircraft on display include the following:
North American F-86E Sabre (Serial No. 51-2841).
Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star (Serial No. 51-04230). This aircraft was on display at Hickam AFB for many years, it is now on display in Toulouse, France, still wearing its HI ANG colors.
Rockwell OV-10 Bronco (Serial No. 67-14636). This aircraft was on display at Hickam AFB, it has been moved, current location unknown.
Hickam AFB Firefighting Unit
McDonnell F-4C Phantom II (Serial No. 64-00793), fire-fighting hulk.
McDonnell F-4C Phantom II (Serial No. 66-07540), fire-fighting hulk.
Schofield Barracks and Wheeler Field
Schofield Barracks was named in 1909 in honor of Lt. Gen. John M. Schofield, a Civil War veteran. Schofield Barracks presently consists of 14,000 acres and is home to the 25th Infantry Division (Light), “Tropic Lightning.” After distinguished service in three wars (the Second World War, Korea and Vietnam), the division is based at Schofield, which has been its permanent home since it was established there in October 1941. Schofield is located in the center of Oahu off the H-2 Freeway, 17 miles North West of Honolulu. The base is also home to the 45th Corps Support Group (Forward); the 703rd Military Intelligence Brigade; Hawaii National Guard; and Army Law Enforcement Command. The film “From Here to Eternity” was filmed at Schofield Barracks. Bullet holes from the Japanese attack on the morning of 7 December 1941 can still be seen in some of the buildings. Schofield’s population today includes about 15,600 military personnel, their 11,000 dependents, and 4,600 civilian employees.
As of 1 November 1991, Wheeler Army Airfield (formerly Wheeler Air Force Base) came under the control of Schofield Barracks. The landing strip at Wheeler was first cleared in 1922 and that same year named Wheeler Field in honor of Major-General Sheldon H. Wheeler. Today its 1,300 acres are home to the men and women of the 25th Infantry Division’s aviation brigade and other units. Helemano Military Reservation and Fort Shafter are also under the control of Schofield Barracks. For more information, write to: Public Affairs Office, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, HI 96857-6000, or call (808) 655-8729. The helicopters and aircraft on display at Schofield Barracks/ and Wheeler Army Airfield include:
Bell UH-1H Iroquois Helicopter (Serial No. 0-15127).
Bell UH-1H Iroquois Helicopter (Serial No. 27548), Medevac Helicopter.
Bell AH-1S Cobra Helicopter (Serial No. 68-15036), c/n 20570.
Bell AH-1S Cobra Helicopter (Serial No. 33068), (66-15298), location TBC.
Bell OH-58A Kiowa Helicopter (Serial No. 70-15358), c/n 40909.
Hiller OH-23G Raven Helicopter (Serial No. 64-15245).
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk (Serial No. 41-18P), No. 155, mock-up. This P-40 Warhawk was used in the film “Tora, Tora, Tora,” and donated to the Air Force by 20th Century Fox Film Corporation Studios. The aircraft mock-up was restored by the 22nd Tactical Air Support (TAS) Squadron, Wheeler AFB, in 1974. A plaque placed near this aircraft has the following dedication:
On the 7th of December 1941, Wheeler Field was the primary fighter base in the Pacific and a key target of the Japanese attack. At 0800 hours, waves of enemy planes bombed and strafed the flight line, the barracks and hangars. The resulting losses were 83 aircraft destroyed or damaged and 97 personnel killed or wounded. While the bulk of American fighter planes were caught on the ground, six pilots managed to get their aircraft airborne during the attack and, against overwhelming odds, scored the first American victories of the Second World War.
46th Pursuit Squadron, flying Seversky P-36 Hawk aircraft
1/Lt Lewis M. Saunders 1
2/Lt Philip M. Rasmussen 1
2/Lt Gordon H. Sterling Jr. 1
47th Pursuit Squadron, flying Curtiss P-40 Warhawk aircraft
2/Lt George S. Welch 4
2/Lt Kenneth M. Taylor 4
2/Lt Harry W. Brown 1
Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps Air Station
Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) (nicknamed “K-Bay”) was initially opened in 1918 at Fort Hase and later commissioned as Kuwaaohe Military Reservation. In 1939 the Navy constructed a small seaplane base. The NAS role expanded to include the administration of Kaneohe Bay Naval Defense Sea Area. In 1941 it was the home base for an Army artillery unit. On 7 December 1941, NAS Kaneohe Bay was the first US installation to be attacked by the Japanese. (It is reported that there are the remains of at least four Consolidated PBY-5 Catalinas still lying in Kaneohe Bay where they were sunk during the attack). After the war, the NAS was limited to small air operations and a small security detachment, as well as a federal communications center. Marines assumed control of the NAS combined air-ground team; and naval operations were moved to Barber’s Point NAS. The aircraft from Barber’s Point have been returned since that NAS closure in 1999. The location is ideal for deployment to the Far East as well as for intermediate refueling and as a maintenance stop for tactical support aircraft during transpacific flights.
Kaneohe Bay MCAS has grown into a major Marine Corps installation and home for over 15,000 Marines, sailors and their dependents. Also designated “Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH), the largest tenant aboard the station is the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade.
Kaneohe Bay lies on the north side (the windward side) of the island of Oahu, opposite Honolulu and across the Koolau Mountains, which rise to a height of 4,000 feet. Kaneohe Bay MCAS is situated on the Mokapu Peninsula, which forms the eastern shore of the bay and is the site of the University of Hawaii’s Marine Lab and the Kaneohe Bay Park. For more information write to: Joint Public Affairs Office, MCAS, Kaneohe Bay, HI 96863-5001, or call (808) 257-5743. Aircraft on display at Kaneohe Bay MCAS include the following:
Vought F-8U-2 (F-8C) Crusader (BuNo. 146973), WT-00.
Grumman S-2D Tracker (BuNo. 147870), 22, c/n 10C.
Lockheed P2V-5 Neptune (BuNo. 150279) VP-17 (1944-95) VP-6 (1943-93).
Lockheed TP-3A Orion (BuNo. 151392), c/n 185-5105.
McDonnell F-4S Phantom II (BuNo. 153689), VMFA-212, painted as (BuNo. 155894), WD-100, c/n 3542.
Sikorsky CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter (BuNo. 157740), 24, c/n 65-316.
Sikorsky CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter (BuNo. 158748) 1st MAW ASE.
Barber's Point Naval Air Station, Naval Air Museum Barber’s Point
Barber’s Point Naval Air Station occupied about 3,600 acres of land to the west of Pearl Harbor and Ewa Beach, Oahu, and is just south of the Farrington Highway. Commissioned in April 1942, the base was used to train pilots and to service aircraft from aircraft carriers in the Pacific Theatre, which included the USS Lexington, the USS Yorktown and the USS Enterprise. After the Second World War, Barber’s Point NAS served as a rapid demobilization center and provided support functions for all area aviation activities.
In 1949, the adjacent Ewa MCAS was incorporated into the NAS boundary. In 1950, Patrol Squadron Six arrived from NAS Whidbey Island, Washington, and many other units followed, establishing Barber’s Point as a major anti-submarine warfare aviation center. During the Korean War the NAS served as a major cargo forwarding and personnel replacement center for UN forces. In 1973 the NAS became the operational shore command of Commander, Patrol Wings, US Pacific Fleet. The station was known as the “Crossroads of the Pacific” and the “home of the Rainbow Fleet.” The station was the home port for a large number of military tenants who have been relocated since the base closure in 1999. Naval Air Museum Barber’s Point, 1792 Midway Road, Kalaeloa Airport aircraft collection includes:
Bell UH-1H Iroquois Helicopter (Serial No. 69-15708), c/n 11996.
Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldiver, lies in the waters off Barber’s Point (see list of air crashes on Oahu for further details).
Douglas C-47A Skytrain (Serial No.).
Douglas A-4E Skyhawk (BuNo. 149959), AH-300, c/n 13191. This aircraft is painted in the colours of the aircraft flown by LCdr John McCain when he was shot down over North Vietnam on 25 July 1967.
Douglas A-4E Skyhawk (BuNo. 150023), c/n 13076.
Douglas A-4E Skyhawk (BuNo. 151030), c/n 13200.
Douglas A-4E Skyhawk (BuNo. 153689).
Grumman F6F Hellcat.
Douglas A-4E Skyhawk (BuNo. 152061), UA-00, c/n 13449.
Grumman TBF Avenger (Serial No.).
Grumman (General Motors) TBM-3 E Avenger (BuNo.).
Lockheed P-3A Orion (BuNo. 152169), c/n 185-5139.
McDonnell F-4N Phantom II (BuNo. 152291), c/n 1093.
North American SNJ-5B Texan (Serial No.).
Sikorsky UH-3H Sea King Helicopter (BuNo. 148043), c/n 61021.
Sikorsky UH-3H Sea King Helicopter (BuNo. 152701), NF-611, c/n 61357.
Sikorsky CH-53D Sea Stallion (BuNo. 156964), c/n 65-211.
Sikorsky SH-60B Seahawk Helicopter (BuNo. 162102), TH-55, c/n 70-0392.
Marine Corps Base Camp H. M. Smith
The Marine Corps Base at Camp H. M. Smith is named after Lt. Gen Holland M. “Howlin’ Mad” Smith. Camp Smith was originally the site of Aiea Naval Hospital in 1942. When the hospital was deactivated, its medical facilities were consolidated into Tripler AMC. The site was acquired by the Marine Corps in 1955 for Fleet Marine Force Pacific, and dedicated in 1956 to Lt. Gen Smith, a pioneer of amphibious warfare techniques and the camp’s first commander. In 1957 it became HQ Commander-in-Chief US Pacific Command. In 1994, Marine Corps Base HI assumed operational responsibility for Camp Smith. It serves as the nerve center for all US military forces in the region, and is the only Marine Corps installation supporting a unified commander (CinCPac).
There are no aircraft on display at Camp Smith, but the site has an access route to the Aiea Loop Trail, where the remains of Consolidated B-24J Liberator (Serial No. 44-40332) which crashed on 5 May 1944.
Fort DeRussy Army Museum, Honolulu
The Fort DeRussy Army Museum, Waikiki has the following helicopter on display:
(Keith Oratz Photo)
Bell AH-1S Cobra Helicopter (Serial No. 67-15796), c/n 20460. This 1967-built G-model Cobra was reconfigured to the “S” model, and then restored to the AH-1S (Mod) with the TSU (Target Sighting Unit) on the nose and tube-launched, optically-tracked, wire-guided (TOW) missile launchers.
Pacific Aerospace Museum, Honolulu
The Pacific Aerospace Museum is located inside Honolulu International Airport, 300 Rodgers Boulevard #7, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819-1897. Tel: 808-839-077.
The Pacific Aerospace Museum has a variety of aerospace displays for the visitor to view. There are interactive multi-media displays illustrating how a plane flies, where airlines fly from Hawaii, and how one designs aircraft. There is also a first flight simulator where a flight instructor guides you through your first flight lesson in a single engine propeller aircraft over Honolulu International Airport. If you have 15 minutes you can also partake in a multi-media show/gallery which illustrates the history of aviation in the Hawaiian Islands from the Polynesian voyagers to the attack on Pearl Harbor. The attack is demonstrated by means of a computer display and model combination which teaches one exactly how the harbor was attacked. This museum is a great place to spend time waiting before you have to board a flight leaving the island of Oahu. Spacecraft on exhibit include an Apollo Mission Lunar Landing Display; Landsat Model; Landsat Image/Weather Display; Space Shuttle (Cockpit Mock-up); and a Space Station Mir/Buran Model. The Pacific Aerospace Museum is Hawaii’s only educational center dedicated to commemorating the aerospace achievements of the Pacific. The museum offers “a fascinating look at the technology of tomorrow, as well as the pioneering exploits of the region’s past.” The museum has an excellent audio-visual display of historical aviation events connected with Hawaii, as well as a number of “hands-on” exhibits, although there are no aircraft in it. There is however, a General Electric J-47-13 jet engine of the type used in the F-86 Sabre, on display at the front entrance to the museum. This engine was restored by members of the Hawaii Air National Guard.
Pearl Harbor Naval Complex
Pearl Harbor takes its name from the Polynesian wai momi, which means “water of pearl,” the name the ancient Hawaiians bestowed on the location after the pearl Oysters that once grew in the water there.
Pearl Harbor was established as a coaling station in 1902. At 7:55 a.m. on 7 December 1941, Pearl Harbor came under attack by the forces of the Japanese Empire. Today it is the site of the sunken hulk of the USS Arizona, which lies under 38’ of water in the harbor off Ford Island.
Pearl Harbor is the US Navy’s most important base in the Pacific. More than 70 naval commands are based there, including the Naval Station, the Submarine Base, the Navy Shipyard, the Naval Supply Industrial Center, and other commands, making it the hub of activities for thousands of Navy personnel and their dependents in Hawaii. The base is valued at more than $1.5 billion, and occupies over 12,500 acres of prime real estate just to the west of downtown Honolulu. For more information write to: Public Affairs Office, Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Box 110 (Code 013), Pearl Harbor, HI 96860-5020, or call (808) 471-0281.
Pacific Aviation Museum, Ford Island
The Pacific Aviation Museum is located at 319 Lexington Blvd on Ford Island. Ford Island, now a National Historic Landmark, is quiet today but it still shows the scars of war. In developing the master plan in the 1990s, the Navy consulted with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Historic Hawaii Foundation. The Navy agreed to protect several historic buildings and nearby grounds. However, preserving these artifacts is outside the Navy's primary mission, so an innovative method for adaptive reuse and preservation was required. A group of concerned Hawaii citizens stepped forward with a solution and a plan to create a world class aviation museum in the historic hangars that survived the attack that initiated the US effort in the Second World War. The museum’s aircraft collection includes:
Aeronca 65TC Defender (Serial No. 939IT), Reg. No. NC33768. Hangar 37. Eight private aircraft were in the air over Oahu at time of the December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor. Four were from K-T Flying Service, two from Gambo Flying Service, one from Andrews Flying Service, and one from Hui Lele Flying Club. Local attorney and territorial legislator, Roy Vitousek, and his teenage son Martin were flying this Aeronca TC-65 Defender toward Pearl Harbor that fateful Sunday morning. According to Martin, they stayed in the air during part of the attack, circling at 2,000 feet to avoid the Japanese planes. Upon taking fire from enemy aircraft, they immediately returned to John Rodgers Field and executed a safe landing. John Rodgers Field is now Honolulu International Airport. The Vitouseks were fortunate. Of the eight pilots in the air that day, three were shot down, two of whom died. One was forced to bail out. Two landed safely. Two pilots went missing and are presumed dead.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
Bell UH-1K Iroquois Helicopter (BuNo. 157200), c/n 6324. Hangar 79.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo, left, Pacific Aviation Museum Photo, right)
Bell AH-1G Cobra Helicopter (Serial No. 66-15298), "Snake 298". Hangar 79.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo, left, Pacific Aviation Museum Photo, right)
Boeing Stearman N2S-3 Kaydet (BuNo. 92468), c/n 75-6707, 103, Reg. No. N5102N. Former US President George H. Bush soloed in this aircraft. Hangar 37.
(Pacific Aviation Museum Photo)
Boeing B-17E Flying Fortress (Serial No. 41-2446), c/n 2257, "Swamp Ghost", restoration project. This aircraft was piloted by Captain Frederick 'Fred' C. Eaton, Jr, when it was shot down over Papua New Guinea in 1942, after a raid on ships at Japanese held New Britain. While flying over Rabaul, it was intercepted and eventually had to force-land in a remote swamp near the north coast of New Guinea. All of the crew survived the crash landing and arduous trek out. The aircraft was rediscovered in 1972 in Agaiambo swamp, where it earned the nickname Swamp Ghost. It was salvaged in 2006 and moved to Lae wharf. Shipped to the USA in 2010. It came to the Pacific Aviation Museum on 10 April 2013. It is to be placed on display inside the museum in "as found" condition.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
Boeing B-52E Stratofortress (Serial No. 57-0101), c/n 464090, nose section. Hangar 79.
Boeing Vertol CH-46E Sea Knight Helicopter (BuNo. 153965), flown to the museum on 26 June 2014.
Cessna O-2A Skymaster (Serial No.), restoration project.
Consolidated PBY Catalina (Serial No. 64064), ex-USN, flew with World Wide Airways, Canada, later flown in Spain fighting fires as Reg. No. EC-FMC. There are plans for this aircraft to be aquired from Spain and for it to be reconfigured with blister windows and painted to represent an aircraft that flew with VP-24, No. 32, "Jungle Skippers".
(Author Photo, left, Daniel Ramirez Photo, right)
Convair F-102A Delta Dagger (Serial No. 55-3366). This aircraft was previously displayed with the Hawaii ANG. Hangar 79.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
Curtiss P-40E/Kittyhawk Mk. 1A, RAF (Serial No. AK979), 155. Hangar 37.
(Gillfoto Photo, left, Simon sees Photo, right)
Curtiss P-40E Warhawk, replica. Hangar 79.
Douglas SBD-2 Dauntless (BuNo. 2173), c/n 699. Hangar 37.
(JJ Messerly Photos)
Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless (BuNo. 36177), c/n 4816, B-23.
(Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Diana Quinlan, USN Photo)
Douglas C-47A Skytrain, USAAF (Serial No. 42-100486), "Cheeky Charlie", restoration project, ex Australian Reg. No. VH-ANX, now painted as (Serial No. 41-8949), Pel, Reg. No. N99131.
(JJ Messerly Photos)
Douglas A3D/NTA-3B Skywarrior (BuNo. 144867). Civil Reg. Nos. N577HA and later N877RS. Hangar 79.
(Pacific Aviation Museum Photo)
General Dynamics F-111C Aardvark (Serial No. A8-130), c/n D1-6. Hangar 79. This aircraft was flown by the Royal Ausatralian Air Force and was one of the original two dozen F-111Cs purchased by Australia. This aircraft served with the RAAF from 1 June 1973 to 3 December 2010, before being shipped to Hawaii.
(Lepeu1999 Photo, left, Pacific Aviation Museum Photo, right)
Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat (BuNo. 12296), F-1, 1943, c/n 5956. Hangar 37.
(Simon sees Photo)
Grumman F-14D Super Tomcat (BuNo. 163904), c/n 614/D-19, AJ-102. Hangar 79.
Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star (Serial No. 18633). Hangar 79.
Lockheed F-104A Starfighter (Serial No. 56-0817). 1958. Hangar 79. This aircraft was ordered in 1956 and delivered to the Air Force in July 1958. It first served the 538th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Larson Base, Washington. It also served at Taichung Air Force Base in Taiwan. In 1963, it was transferred to the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base in California. There, it served as a support aircraft (chase plane). It was retired in 1972. In 1987, it moved to the Museum of Aviation at Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins, Georgia. In May 2013, it arrived at its new home, Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor.
McDonnell F-4C Phantom II (Serial No. 64-0792), c/n 1105, "Smoothie", painted in the colours it wore while serving with the 559th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 12th Tactical Fighter Wing at Cam Ranh Bay, South Vietnam. Hangar 79. Captain Frederick W. Siebert, The 792’s aircraft commander late in the war, named her Smoothie. Although hit by ground fire four times, Smoothie survived the war. This Phantom II protected Hawaii’s skies from 1978 until its retirement in 1987.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle (Serial No. 76-0063), 1977, c/n 0249/A215. Hangar 79.
(Author Photo, left, JJ Messerly Photo, right)
Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-15 Fagot (Serial No. 1524), c/n 1B01524. This aircraft is actually a Polish LIM-2. Hangar 79.
(Pacific Aviation Museum Photos)
Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-21PF Fishbed (Serial No.1304), c/n 761304, Reg. No. N5179Y, 1963, former Czech Air Force 1304, painted as Vietnamese Air Force 4326. Hangar 79.
Mitsubishi A6M2-21b Type 0 Reisen (Zero), wreckage. This aircraft flown by IJN Airman 1st Class Shigenori Nishikaichi, flying from the IJN Carrier Hiryu, took part in the second wave attack on Pearl Harbor. He crash landed his bullet-damaged aircraft on the Island of Ni`hau. The remains of his aircraft are displayed in a diorama inside the museum. Hangar 37.
(Cliff - Flickr Photo, left, JJ Messerly Photo, right)
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
Mitsubishi A6M2-21 Type 0 Reisen, (Serial No. BII-120), intact. This aircraft is painted to represent BII-120 which pilot Shigenori Nishikaichi flew in the attack Pearl Harbor. The original BII-120 was destroyed with some fragments remaining that are also on exhibit at Pacific Aviation Museum.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
North American T-6 Texan (Serial No.), USMC colours. Hangar 79.
(Daniel Ramirez Photos)
North American B-25J Mitchell (Serial No. 44-30077), Reg. No. N2848G, painted as B-25B Mitchell (Serial No. 40-2261), c/n 108-33352, which flew on the LCol Jimmy Doolittle raid. Hangar 37.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
North American F-86F Sabre (Serial No. 51-2832), FU-832, c/n 227-115 “Nina”. Previously this aircraft was (Serial No. 55-3930) and JASDF (Serial No. 62-7511). Hangar 79.
(Daniel Ramirez Photo)
North American F-86L Sabre Dog (Serial No. 52-4191), c/n 190-594, HI ANG colours. Hangar 79.
North American F-100F Super Sabre (Serial No. 58-1232), camouflage. Hangar 79.
(Pacific Air Museum Photos)
Northrop F-5A Freedom Fighter (Serial No. 63-8393), FA-393, c/n N6030, 1968, ROK colours. Hangar 79.
(Jim Hoagland Photo)
Republic F-105G Thunderchief (Serial No. 62-4438), WA, c/n F27. This aircraft was previously with Warner Robins, Georgia, now with the Pacific Aviation Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii.
(Pacific Air Museum Photo)
Sikorsky SH-3H Sea King Helicopter (BuNo. 152700), NF-610, c/n 61356. Hangar 79.
Sikorsky H-34J Choctaw (BuNo. 148963), c/n 58-1366, 8963, on loan from the NMUSAF. Hangar 79.
Sikorsky CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter (BuNo.). Hangar 79.
(Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Mark Logico, USN Photo)
Sikorsky SH-60B Seahawk Helicopter (BuNo.). Hangar 79.
Stinson L-5 Sentinel (Serial No.), restoration project.
Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina, Reg. No. N24VP, ex-EC-FMC, ex-C-FIZZ, ex-EC-940. Pacific Rim Catalinas.
(Robert St-Pierre Photos)
(Keith Oratz Photo)
Douglas A-4E Skyhawk (BuNo. 151036), c/n 13206, 12, USMC. Kauai Veteran's Museum.
 Dan Cragg, Guide to Military Installations,4th Edition, Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, PA, 1994, p. 121.
 William R. Evinger, Editor, Directory of US Military Bases Worldwide, Third Edition, Oryx Press, 1998, p. 72.
 Dan Cragg, Guide to Military Installations, 4th Edition, Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, PA, 1994, pp. 125-126.
 William R. Evinger, Editor, Directory of US Military Bases Worldwide, Third Edition, Oryx Press, 1998, p. 74.
 Dan Cragg, Guide to Military Installations, 4th Edition, Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, PA, 1994, pp. 128-129.
 Ibid, pp. 131-132.
Consolidated B-24J Liberator crash site, Aeia Loop.
One morning I hiked along the rugged Aiea Loop mountain trail in search of the wreckage of an aircraft that I had first heard about the year before from a Marine on duty at Camp Smith, Oahu, Hawaii. He was certain there was a downed Japanese Zero in the woods above the base. I heard the story again from others on the island of Oahu, but it was the historians at base headquarters who set me straight. There are at least 40 known aviation crash sites on the island, not including the sites where the 29 Japanese aircraft that were destroyed during the attack on Hawaii came down. All 29 of the Japanese wrecks were recovered and sent to Australia for evaluation shortly after the attack, and therefore, none exist on the Islands of Hawaii. The wreck over the hill turned out to be an American four engine Consolidated B-24J Liberator bomber.
On the morning of the 5th of May 1944, Army Air Corps Liberator Serial No. 44-40332, piloted by 2nd Lieutenant Wayne R. Kimble, rolled down the runway of Hickam Field and took off. Minutes later, the plane was a fiery wreck spread across a ridge in the hills above Aiea. According to Ken Thompson, the details of the crash are not widely known. The wreckage of the bomber lies on the edge of the Aiea Loop Trail at about the half-way point. The remains of one wing are clearly visible wrapped against a tree, and this debris forms what is arguably Hawaii’s most widely known crash site. The ten members of the B-24 crew included 2Lt Kimble; his co-pilot 2Lt. William E. Somsel Jr.; 2Lt Charles E. Mueller, the aircraft’s navigator; and the 2Lt Morris Righthand, the Liberator’s bombardier; and the gunners, Staff Sgt. Jack J. Dowd; Staff Sgt. Marion F. Norman; Sgt James H. Means; Cpl Manuel F. Campos; Cpl Gerald L. Weiss; and Cpl Joseph J. Carlucci. 
At the time of the crash, no stories appeared in any of the local papers informing the general public about the mishap. In the interests of wartime security as well as concern for morale on the home front, military crashes and other accidents were largely unacknowledged. Because of this, information about the crash of No. 44-40332 and the lives it claimed had been relegated to a short briefing file held by the Army Air Corps under the heading “brief of aircraft accident” field at the time of the incident. Because of the scarcity of information on the aircraft, people still mistake it for a “Zero” or other Japanese aircraft, as I discovered myself.
According to Ted Darcy, an airplane archeologist and owner of Wreckfinders Inc., Liberator (Serial No. 44-40332) was built by Consolidated Aircraft in San Diego, California. After being accepted from the manufacturer in March 1944, it was flown to Tucson, Arizona, for final modifications. 2Lt Kimble took command of the aircraft on the 3rd of May 1944 to ferry it to Garbutt Field, Australia. On that day, he and his crew flew the airplane to Fairfield Army Air Depot, California, to refuel for the flight to Hawaii. The plane arrived at Hickam on the 4th of May, and was set for an early morning departure the next day.’ Shortly after 5 a.m. on the 5th of May, Kimble and his crew took off from a then-existing northbound runway at Hickam Field. The flight plan called for a right turn shortly after take-off, eventually coming to a southerly heading. On the morning of the flight, however, the turn was delayed. It is not known if this was due to mechanical problems or pilot error. By the time 2Lt Kimble initiated the turn, the Liberator did not have sufficient altitude to clear the rising ridgeline. The aircraft’s wing caught the trees. In the grim crash that followed, most of the airplane disintegrated into pieces against the southeast side of the ridge. The fuel in the airplane’s tanks ignited, creating a local inferno that burned the plane and its occupants. The results of the fire are apparent today due to the lack of older trees on the southeast side of the ridge and by the rough condition of the wreckage. Other pieces of the aircraft, including a large chunk of wing seen along the trail, came to rest on the northwest side of the ridge, with the plane’s rear turret tumbling further down to a ravine on the northwestern side. Researchers should take note, the edge of the trail is dangerously steep, and hikers are cautioned to stay on the trail.
As Ken has stated, “the crew of Liberator (Serial No. 44-40332) may not have died as the direct result of hostile action, but they, too, deserve their…commemoration. They too, and many others like them, gave the last full measure in the cause of freedom.”
This crash-site was not the only one I found on the island. Jane Griffiths at Camp Smith pointed the way to another site at the MCBH, Kaneohe, where a Japanese pilot met his end during the attack. The story of the attack is well told in so many books on Pearl Harbor that I don’t need to expand on it here, but suffice it to say that the plaque simply records: “Japanese Aircraft Impact Site, Pilot-Lieutenant Iida, IJN, Commander, Third Air Control Group, 7 December 1941.”
There are many other events that are recorded on plaques at the numerous historical sites on Hawaii. At Wheeler Field one plaque proclaims “at 6:29 Hawaii standard time 29 June 1927, two US Army Air Corps First Lieutenants, Lester J Maitland and Albert Fhegenberger, first linked Hawaii to the US mainland by air when they landed their Fokker C-3 Trimotor here at Wheeler Field after flying 25 hours and 50 minutes from Oakland, California.” Another plaque close by records, “after a 3 hour delay at 4:44 p.m. 11 January 1935, Amelia Earhart took off from Wheeler Field in her Lockheed Vega. 18 hours and 16 minutes later she landed in Oakland, California, thus becoming the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to the mainland. This also made her the first person to have flown solo across oceans.”
 Details have been extracted from an article in the Honolulu Star Bulletin, by Kenneth J. Thompson, a Marine at Camp Smith, 29 May 1944.