|Tanks and AFVs (5) Ontario, Ottawa, Canadian War Museum, Captured German Equipment (1939-1945)
Tanks and Armoured Fighting Vehicles, Ontario, Ottawa,
Canadian War Museum, Captured German Equipment (1939-1945)
Data current to 2 Jan 2021.
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document all historical Tank and Armoured Fighting Vehicles (AFV) preserved in Canada. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these machines to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, correctons or amendments to this list of Armoured Fighting Vehicles in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
German Panzer II Light Tank, Call Sign 112, 19, G, armed with a 2-cm KwK 38 L/55 auto-cannon and one 7.92-mm MG 34 machinegun mounted coaxially with the main gun. The Panzer II was the most numerous tank in the German Panzer divisions at the beginning of the war.
The Panzer II had a crew of three men. The driver sat in the forward left hull with the gearbox on the right. The commander sat in a seat in the turret, and was responsible for aiming and firing the cannon and co-axial machine gun, while a loader/radio operator sat on the floor of the tank behind the driver. He had a radio on the left and several 20mm ammunition storage bins.
German PzKpfw II Aufs. C, with a 150-mm Sturmpanzer IV Brummbar behind it, Eastern Front, Feb 1944.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3405774)
PIAT anti-tank gunners of The Regina Rifle Regiment who knocked out a German PzKpfW V Panther tank thirty yards from Battalion Headquarters, Bretteville-l'Orgeuilleuse, France, 8 June 1944.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3401771)
German PzKpfW V Panther tank, being examined by Infantrymen of the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade, Authie, France, 9 July 1944.
German Panzer V Panther Ausf A Main Battle Tank.
This Panther Von display in the Canadian War Museum was acquired by Canadians in Northwest Europe sometime before 15 Nov 1944, and shipped to Canada from the UK on the SS Manchester Shipper, some time between 8 January and 29 March 1945. The Panther took part in the Victory-in-Europe ( V-E) Day parade in Ottawa on 8 May 1945. It was later sent to Canadian Forces Base Borden, Ontario, where it remained for 60 years. DND’s Directorate of History and Heritage transferred the tank to the Canadian War Museum in 2005 where, after a two-year, 4,000-hour, restoration project, it was placed on public display in January 2008. Another Panther V was shipped to Canada by Captain Mowat. It was sent to Camp Petawawa, Ontario where it was destroyed on the range. Parts of this tank's tracks were used in the restoration of the model in the CWM.
(US Army Photo)
German Jagdpanzer IV/70 tank destroyers, Germany, 25 March 1945.
German Jagdpanzer IV/70 Assault Gun, armed with 7.5-cm main gun. This is an early 1945 production AFV. It was captured by the 4th Canadian (Armoured) Division near Wilhelmshaven in May 1945. The Jagdpanzer IV, Sd.Kfz. 162, is a tank destroyer based on the Panzer IV chassis and was built in three main variants. It is a casemate-style turretless Jagdpanzer (tank destroyer, literally "hunting tank") design.
The Jagdpanzer IV served in the anti-tank sections of Panzer and SS Panzer divisions. They fought against Western Allied forces in Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge, and Soviet tanks and troops on the Eastern Front. They were very successful tank destroyers due to their low overall profile, accurate gun and good armour protection, but performed poorly when used out of role as substitutes for tanks or assault guns to support infantry. This was increasingly necessary in the later stages of the war from late 1944 to 1945, because there was often nothing else available to the badly-depleted German armoured units.
(World War Photos)
German Sturmgeschütz 40 Ausf G Assault Guns, ca 1944.
German Sturmgeschütz 40 Ausf G Assault Gun. This AFV was brought to Canada by Captain Farley Mowat and his Intelligence Collection Team in 1945. It was later placed an artillery range where is served as a range target until it was recovered for the Canadian War Museum
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3231598)
Privates M. Voske and H. Browne of the Calgary Highlanders examining a captured German radio-controlled Goliath tracked mine, Goes, Netherlands, 30 October 1944.
German Goliath Tracked Mine.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3204123)
Personnel at a 1st Canadian Army Headquarter's captured vehicle park, examining a Goliath remote control vehicle developed by Borgward for the German Army. Apeldoorn, Netherlands, 12 June 1945.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3396197)
Soliders of the South Saskatchewan Regiment in captured German Schwimmwagen amphibious car of the Wehrmacht, Rocquancourt, France, 11 August 1944.
VW Type 166 Schwimmwagen (Floating/Swimming Car) amphibious four-wheeld drive off-roader vehicle, used extensively by German ground forces during the Second World War. The Type 166 is the most numerous mass-produced amphibious car in history.
German Second World War Mercedes-Benz 770 (W150), Staff Car. The Mercedes-Benz 770, also known as the Großer Mercedes ("Grand Mercedes"), was a large luxury car built from 1930 to 1943. It is probably best known from its use by high-ranking Nazi officials before and during the Second World War.
The Mercedes-Benz 770 (W150) on display in the CWM one of seven cars used by Hitler. It was heavily modified with extensive armour plating, including 2.5-inch glass all round, and 1.6-inch steel armour plate in all metalwork surrounding the main passenger compartment, plus an additional raiseable plate between the driver and rear passenger compartment. It weighs 4,100 kgs. Further modifications allowed for the secure storage of three machine pistols. The car's body also had additional vents to the side and on top of the hood. There are twin hinges on the side doors, and four further air vents in the main scuttle. In preparation of the fall of Berchtesgaden in April 1945, RSD and SS troops had loaded this car on a railway flat-car, where it was found in Laufen in May 1945 by a troops of the US Army 20th Armored Division. Although it was found in damaged condition, a liberated Dutch forced-labour mechanic managed to get the car working. He told the American troops that it had been Hermann Goering's state car. It was repainted in US Army green with a star applied either side, and then served as the ranking officer's staff car during the post-war occupation period of Germany. The car was shipped to American in late 1945, where it then toured the country as part of a continued effort to raise war bonds. It was displayed as Goering's personal car. Placed in storage, in October 1956 it was entered in a US Army surplus auction at Aberdeen Proving Ground, and sold to a Montreal-based businessman for $2,750. It was then shipped for restoration to Rumble Motors in Toronto. A research book was established to restore the car as Goering would have had it during the war, for a cost of Can$5,000, apart from leaving the bullet-damaged glass in place. In 1970 as part of a tax settlement, the car was gifted to the Canadian War Museum, again displayed there as Goering's car. In 1980, museum researcher Ludwig Kosha, born in Germany, began detailed research on the car, with assistance from Mercedes-Benz, the West German embassy to Canada and the West German foreign service. Along with chassis, engine, paint and modification records, and the discovery of part of its original number plate 1AV148697, it was confirmed as one of Hitler's cars, delivered to the Reich Chancellery, Berlin on 8 July 1940.
German Panzer IA light tank. This one was held by the Canadian War Museum, but was traded to Jacques Littlefield in California for six pieces of armour that were significant to Canada. The Panzer I is very rare, but was not very relevant to Canada as it was obsolete by the time the majority of the Canadian Army came into contact with the German Wehrmacht. The CWM acquired a Staghound Armoured Car, a type used by Canada, a Churchill tank, a type used by Canada, a Lee M3 tank, a type used by Canada, a Stuart M5A1 tank, a type used by Canada, and a Grizzly M4A1 tank, made in Canada. A Ram ARV (hulk) was to be part of the deal but there was a problem and another vehicle was provided. (Colin MacGregor Stevens)
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3231053)
Lance-Corporal J.A. Thrasher of The Westminster Regiment (Motor), who holds the PIAT anti-tank weapon with which he disabled this Nashorn (Rhinoceros), initially known as Hornisse (hornet) German Panzerjager (tank hunter) armed with an 88-mm Pak 43 anti-tank gun. Although it was lightly armoured, its anti-tank rounds could penetrate an Allied tank at long range. This one was knocked out by Canadian troops of the Westminster Regiment, 5th Canadian Armoured Brigade armed with a portable Infantry anti-tank launcher (PIAT) at Pontecorvo, Italy, 26 May 1946. on which he is sitting, near Pontecorvo, Italy, 26 May 1944.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3391742)
Nashorn (Rhinoceros), initially known as Hornisse (hornet) was a German Panzerjager (tank hunter) armed with an 88-mm Pak 43 anti-tank gun. Although it was lightly armoured, its anti-tank rounds could penetrate an Allied tank at long range. This one was knocked out by Canadian troops of the Westminster Regiment, 5th Canadian Armoured Brigade armed with a portable Infantry anti-tank launcher (PIAT) at Pontecorvo, Italy, 26 May 1946.