Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Tanks and AFVs (5) Ontario, Angus, Barrie, Belleville, Bowmanville, Cambridge, Cobalt, Heard, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kenora, Keswick, Madawaska, Meaford, Mount Forest, Oshawa

Tanks and Armoured Fighting Vehicles in Ontario, Angus, Barrie, Belleville, Bowmanville, Cambridge, Cobalt, Heard, Hearst, Iroquois Falls, Kenora, Keswick, Madawaska, Meaford, Mount Forest, Oshawa

Data current to 30 July 2019.

The data found on this page has been compiled by the author.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any additions, correctons or amendments to this list of Armoured Fighting Vehicles in Canada would be most welcome. 

If you have information and photographs of armoured fighting vehicles missing from this list that you are willing to share, updates would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

Angus

 (Author Photos)

M113 C & R Lynx (Serial No. unknown), UN markings, Peacekeeper Park North of CFB Borden main gate. 

Information on the correct CFR number for this vehicle would be most welcome.  The hull number on the Lynx is on the upper right corner of the glacis plate (vehicle's right) in a rectangle deliberately left bare of grip tread paint, also on the rear door about 3" above the handle pivot and on the observer's hatch between the 2 hinge arm brackets.

Barrie

 (Author Photos)

M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 65034), built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30123013, Barrie Armoury, 37 Parkside Drive.

In 1946 the first of 294 M4A2 (76-mm) Wet Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS) Sherman tanks arrived at Camp Borden and at the Long Pointe Ordnance Depot in Montreal.  The Canadians referred to this tank as the M4A2E8.  96 Stuart tanks were also delivered at the same time.  The new Shermans were manufactured by the Fisher Tank Arsenal in Grand Blanc, Michigan between May 1944 and May 1945.  M24 Chaffee light tanks were also purchased at this time.  Compared with the Shermans used by Canadians in the Second World War, the ammunition storage in the new tanks was improved by surrounding the racks with water and etheylene glycol-filled jackets to reduce the probability of explosion in the event of penetration of the armour by enemy fire.  The tanks equipped with this protection system were designated "Wet".  The M4A2E8 was powered by a pair of side-by-side mounted General Motors 6046 diesel engines producing 375 hp mounted in the rear of the hull.  The tank could sustain a speed of 48 kmh (30 mph).  Its main armament was a 76-mm M1A2 long-barreled, high-velocity gun fitted with a muzzle brake.  Its secondary armament included one Browning .30-calibre M1919A4 machine-gun mounted co-axially with the main gun, a bow machine-gun in the front of the hull, and a Browning .50-calibre machine-gun mounted on a post between the loader's and commander's hatches for AA protection.  The HVSS system used four wheels per bogie instead of two, which allowed tracks that were wider (165-mm) to be installed, and which made for better performance on soft ground and allowed for a smoother ride.  The M4A2E8 had a five-man crew.  The driver and co-driver sat in the front of the hull with the driver on the left and co-driver on the right.  The crew commander, loader and gunner sat in the turret.  The crew commander's position was on the right side of the turret, the loader sat on his left and the gunner sat in front of the commander.  After the first batch of the new tanks went to the RCD at Camp Borden 1946, another 30 went to the LdSH at Camp Wainwright, Alberta in March 1947.  Training on the tanks by the LdSH was also conducted at Camp Sarcee in Alberta, and at Camp Petawawa when the RCD moved there in the spring of 1948.

Belleville

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3395998)

Universal Carrier manned by soldiers The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment advancing on Nissoria, Italy, July 1943.

Universal Carrier in restored and running condition, Belleville Armouries.  This carrier was retrieved from a scrapyard in Newtonville and brought it to CFB Trenton, where the Land Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (LEME) mechanics at Base Maintenance Land (BML) restored it.  The vehicle was named "Katie" after a carrier depicted in a picture of The Regiment at Assoro, Italy, in 1943.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

106-mm M40A1 Recoilless Rifle mounted on an M38A1 CDN3 Jeep, inside the Armoury at 200 Pinnacle Street.

The H&PER also holds a Canadian SMP truck.

Borden, CFB Borden, Base Borden Military Museum

Tanks and AFVs on display in the Base Borden Museum at CFB Borden are listed on a separate web page.

Bowmanville

LAV III Memorial, Clarington Fields.

Cambridge

LAV III Memorial, Col. J.A. McIntosh, DSO, ED Armoury 1 Valour Place.

Campbellford

Universal Carrier, Lake Superior Regiment, Cintheaux, France, 8 Aug 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3396172)

Universal Carrier Mk II, Memorial Military Museum, 226 Albert Street, 

M38 A1 CAN 2¼ -ton 4 X 4 Jeep, Memorial Military Museum.

Dodge M-43 Truck,  Memorial Military Museum.

Cobalt

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Universal Carrier.  Algonquin Regiment. 

(Terry Honour Photos)

Universal Carrier hulk.

Heard

M113A2 APC with extended fuel cells.

105-mm C1A1 Howitzer.

155-mm M109 SP Howitzer.

Hearst

 (Terry Honour Photo)

M113A2 APC with extended fuel cells, Memorial Park, 700 Front Street.

Iroquois Falls

M113A1, Anson Drive and Devonshire Street.

Kars, Swords and Ploughshares Museum, 7500 Reeve Craig North (Rural Route #1), K0A2E0.  Curator: Major Mike T.A. Calnan.  The Tanks and AFVs for this museum are listed on a separate page on this web site.

Kenora

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Universal Carrier.  Kenora Armoury. 

Keswick, Georgina Military Museum, 26061 Woodbine Avenue.

1952 M135 2-1/2-ton Truck.

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

Leopard C1 Main Battle Tank (Serial No. 78-85067), with a mock tank turret.

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

M113A2 APC with extended fuel cells.

C1A1 105-mm Howitzer (Serial No. 13561), 1955.

Willys Jeep ambulance, RCAMC, Vaucelles, France, 20 Jul 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3391694)

Willys Jeep.

Iltis ¼- ton Truck with trailer.

CFB Kingston.

Tanks and AFVs on display at CFB Kingston and RMC are listed on a separate web page.

Kitchener

 (JustSomePics Photo)

Russian T-54 Main Battle Tank, K-W Surplus, Victoria St N.

Tanks and AFVs on display in the City of London and at the Royal Canadian Regiment Museum, are listed on a separate page on this web site.

Madawaska

 (Tim Laye Photos)

M113A1 Armoured Personnel Carrier, No. 1 of 2, in front of the cemetery on Madawaska Road (Highway 523). 

 (Tim Laye Photos)

M113A1 Armoured Personnel Carrier, No. 2 of 2, in front of the cemetery on Madawaska Road (Highway 523).

Meaford, 4th Canadian Division Training Centre of the Canadian Army.  Just northwest of the town of Meaford, also known as the "Tank Range".  This base was established in 1942 during the Second World War as a training ground for tanks and armoured fighting vehicles.

 (The Furry Gnome Photo)

M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 65008, built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30122987, Main Gate, Central Area Training Centre.  

Centurion Main Battle Tank Mk. 5, Serial No. 2548, 20-pounder main gun, Main Gate, CATC.

 (The Furry Gnome Photo)

M113 C & R Lynx (Serial No. unknown), Main Gate, CATC.

Information on the correct CFR number for this vehicle would be most welcome.  The hull number on the Lynx is on the upper right corner of the glacis plate (vehicle's right) in a rectangle deliberately left bare of grip tread paint, also on the rear door about 3" above the handle pivot and on the observer's hatch between the 2 hinge arm brackets.

AVGP Grizzly.

M548 Cargo Carrier.

 (The Furry Gnome Photos)

M113A2 APCs with extended fuel cells (two).

 (Kanadaguy Photo)

M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 65248, built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30123227, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 32, Legion Road, Meaford Park.

Mount Forest

155-mm M109A4 SP Howitzer turret on heavy duty mounting in the War Memorial Park on Hwy 6.

Oshawa

 (Author Photos)

M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 65223), built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30123202, “Conqueror”.  This tank stands in front of the Oshawa Armoury, 535 Simcoe St N.

M113 C & R Lynx (Serial No. unknown), Royal Canadian Legion Branch 43, 471 Simcoe Street South.

Information on the correct CFR number for this vehicle would be most welcome.  The hull number on the Lynx is on the upper right corner of the glacis plate (vehicle's right) in a rectangle deliberately left bare of grip tread paint, also on the rear door about 3" above the handle pivot and on the observer's hatch between the 2 hinge arm brackets.

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

AVGP Cougar, 1220 Keith Ross Dr and Taunton Rd W.

Oshawa, The Ontario Regiment Museum, 1000 Stevenson Rd N.  The Tanks and AFVs for this museum are listed on a separate page on this web site.