|Small Arms in the New Brunswick Military History Museum
Small Arms in the New Brunswick Military History Museum
The majority of the military small arms found on this web page can be viewed in the New Brunswick Military History Museum located with the 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick. A few of the Rifles and Automatic Weapons in the collection are shown above, being prepared for display in the NBMHM. For details on its activities and collection please view their website: http://nbmilitaryhistorymuseum.ca/en/new-brunswick-military-history-museum-home.html.
This page of selected small arms on display the New Brunswick Military History Museum has been compiled by the author, one of the Friends of the NBMHM. Corrections, amendments and updates to the data on this page would be most welcome. Additional photos of the tanks, artillery and major weapon systems and displays in museums in the province may be viewed in the Armoured Fighting Vehicles preserved in Canada section and in the Artillery preserved in Canada sections on this website. Other military weapons and historiucal artifacts on display in New Brunswick, including Aircraft, Armour, Artillery and Naval weapons and equipment found in the province may be viewed on these webpages under the heading of New Brunswick Military Museums and Monuments.
Photos are by the Author unless otherwise credited. This information is current to 8 Jan 2017.
5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick Military History Museum, Building A-5, Oromocto, New Brunswick, E2V 4J5. 506-422-1304. email@example.com. Greg Fekner, Museum Director, and Jason Meade, Curator. Website: http://nbmilitaryhistorymuseum.ca/en/new-brunswick-military-history-museum-home.html.
Brown Bess nickname for the British Army's muzzle-loading smoothbore Land Pattern Musket and its derivatives. This musket was used in the era of the expansion of the British Empire and acquired symbolic importance at least as significant as its physical importance. It was in use for over a hundred years with many incremental changes in its design. These versions include the Long Land Pattern, Short Land Pattern, India Pattern, New Land Pattern Musket, Sea Service Musket and others. The Long Land Pattern musket and its derivatives, all .75 calibre flintlock muskets, were the standard long guns of the British Empire's land forces from 1722 until 1838 when they were superseded by a percussion cap smoothbore musket. The British Ordnance System converted many flintlocks into the new percussion system known as the Pattern 1839 Musket. The Brown Bess saw service until the middle of the 19th century.
Enfield Pattern 1853 rifle-musket (also known as the Pattern 1853 Enfield, P53 Enfield, and Enfield rifle-musket) .577 calibre Minié-type muzzle-loading rifle-musket, used by the British Empire from 1853 to 1867, after which many Enfield 1853 rifle-muskets were converted to (and replaced in service by) the cartridge-loaded Snider-Enfield rifle.
Spencer repeating rifle, manually operated lever-action, repeating rifle fed from a tube magazine with cartridges. The Spencer carbine was a shorter and lighter version.
Snider-Enfield .577 breech loading rifle. The firearm action was invented by the American Jacob Snider, and the Snider-Enfield was one of the most widely used of the Snider varieties. It was adopted by British Army as a conversion system for its ubiquitous Pattern 1853 Enfield muzzle-loading rifles. It was introduced in 1866, and was used by the British Army until it was superseded by the Martini-Henry rifle in 1871. In Canadian service from the 1860s to 1901.
Snider-Enfield Carbine .577, also in service from the 1860s to 1901.
Martini-Henry Model 1871 .577-450 calibre rifles. The M1871 is a breech-loading single-shot lever-actuated rifle adopted by the British Army. It first entered service in 1871, eventually replacing the Snider-Enfield. There are four classes of the Martini-Henry rifle: Mark I (released in June 1871), Mark II, Mark III, and Mark IV. There was also an 1877 carbine version with variations that included a Garrison Artillery Carbine, an Artillery Carbine (Mark I, Mark II, and Mark III), and smaller versions designed as training rifles for military cadets. The Mark IV Martini-Henry rifle ended production in the year 1889, but remained in service throughout the British Empire until the end of the First World War.
Lee-Metford rifle (a.k.a. Magazine Lee-Metford, abbreviated MLM) .303-inch bolt action British army service rifle, combining James Paris Lee's rear-locking bolt system and ten-round magazine with a innovative seven groove rifled barrel designed by William Ellis Metford. It replaced the Martini-Henry rifle in 1888, but was in service for only a short time until replaced by the similar Lee-Enfield.
Lee Enfield Mk. 3, ca 1940. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3581685)
Lee-Enfield bolt-action, magazine-fed, .303-inch repeating rifles. The Lee-Enfield was the main firearm used by the military forces of the British Empire and Commonwealth during the first half of the 20th century. It was the British Army's standard rifle from its official adoption in 1895 until 1957. The Canadian Forces' Rangers Arctic reserve units still use Enfield No.4 rifles.
Seaforth Highlander with sniper rifle, Foiano, Italy, 6 Oct 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3207117), and a Canadian sniper with Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. I (T) with telescopic scope, Kapellen, Belgium, 6 Oct 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3596658)
Lee-Enfield Mk. 1 rifle with scope. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3599772), and a Canadian soldier with a P-14 Enfield rifle with scope, on a training exercise in England, 23 Apr 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3596209)
Canadian Mobile Workshop for the repairing of Ross rifles and Lewis Guns, May 1917. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3395242)
Ross .303-inch rifles. The Ross was a straight-pull bolt action .303 inch-calibre rifle produced in Canada from 1903 until 1918. The Ross Mk. II (or "model 1905") .303-inch rifle was highly successful in target shooting before the First World War, but the close chamber tolerances, lack of primary extraction and overall length made the Mk. III (or "1910") Ross rifle unsuitable for the conditions of trench warfare. By 1916, the rifle had been withdrawn from front line service, but continued to be used by many snipers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force until the end of the war due to its exceptional accuracy.
Ross .303-inch sniper rifle, Ottawa, 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo)
Canadian .303-inch Vickers Machine Gunners, Vimy Ridge, 1917. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3241489), and a Vickers .303 machine-gun manned by PPCLI soldiers training in England, 3 Dec 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3238876)
Vickers machine gun or Vickers gun is a water-cooled .303-inch British machine gun produced by Vickers Limited, originally for the British Army. The machine gun typically required a six to eight-man team to operate: one fired, one fed the ammunition, the rest helped to carry the weapon, its ammunition and spare parts. It was in service from before the First World War until the 1960s, with air-cooled versions of it on many Allied First World War fighter aircraft.
RCAF Bristol Bolingbroke rear Gunner with his .303-inch machine-gun. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4292626)
Canadian Lewis gunners shooting at German aircraft, July 1917. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3521946), and soldiers of the 1st Bn The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada, with a Lewis gun on board HMCS Ottawa, near Botwood, Newfoundland, 22 June 1940. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566425)
Lewis guns .303-inch (or Lewis automatic machine gun or Lewis automatic rifle). The Lewis Gun is a First World War-era light machine gun of American design that was perfected and widely used by the British Empire. It was first used in combat in the First World War, and continued in service with a number of armed forces through to the end of the Korean War. It has a wide tubular cooling shroud around the barrel, often omitted in when used on aircraft, and a top-mounted drum-pan magazine. It was commonly used as an aircraft machine gun, almost always with the cooling shroud removed, during both world wars. The Lewis gun with the carrying handle was on loan to the NBMHM from the NBM in Saint John. It has been returned as of June 2014.
Corporal E.H. Pruner of The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, carrying a PIAT anti-tank weapon and a Thompson sub-machine gun with a short box magazine, Motta, Italy, 2 October 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3229941), and Canadian soldier with Thompson SMG and German PW captured during the Dieppe raid, 19 Aug 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3592340)
Thompson submachine-gun, two versions in the museum. The Thompson is an American .45 calibre submachine gun, invented by John T. Thompson in 1918. The Thompson had excellent ergonomics, compactness, fired a large .45 ACP cartridge, had reliability and high volume of automatic fire.
A private collector has shown members of the museum a Thompson SMG stamped with the Royal Arrowhead. These Thompsons were destined for the UK, but apparently a few were sent to Canada for use by the Veteran's Guard, guarding Prisoners of War (PW) in Canada. The same collector also had a Thompson chambered to fire 9-mm rounds so captured German ammunition could be used.
RCAC soldiers armed with Thompson SMGs, training in the UK, ca 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4232742)
Sten gun being examed at the Long Branch manufacturing plant, ca 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3196070)
Sten gun magazines being reloaded, Munderloh, Germany, 29 Apr 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3226042), and a soldier armed with a Sten gun, riding on a captured German half-track, Caen, France, 10 Jul 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3226174)
STEN (or Sten) guns. The STEN is a family of British 9 mm submachine-guns used extensively by British and Commonwealth forces throughout the Second World War and the Korean War. They were notable for having a simple design and very low production cost making them effective insurgency weapons for resistance groups. STEN is an acronym, from the names of the weapon's chief designers, Major Reginald V. Shepherd and Harold Turpin, and EN for Enfield. Over 4 million Stens in various versions were made in the 1940s. Mk. III variants were produced in Canada. The STEN gun in Canadian service was replaced by the C1 SMG.
C1 9-mm Sterling Submachine-gun.
LdSH patrol, UN, Cyprus, 9-mm Sterling SMG, ca 1960s. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235912)
Canadian soldier firing a Bren Gun. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3000602), and Bren Gun, 3rd LAA Regt, RCA, Antwerp, Belgium, 30 Sep 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3230704)
Bren Gun .303-inch light machine-gun. Usually called simply the Bren, it is one of a series of light machine guns adopted by Britain in the 1930s and used in various roles until 1991. The Bren was a modified version of Czechoslovak-designed light machine guns, the ZB vz. 26 and its descendants, which British Army officials had tested during a firearms service competition in the 1930s. The later Bren featured a distinctive top-mounted curved box magazine, conical flash hider and quick change barrel. The name Bren was derived from Brno, Moravia, the Czechoslovak city where the Zb vz. 26 was originally designed (in Zbrojovka Brno Factory), and Enfield, site of the British Royal Small Arms Factory. The Mk. II was produced in Canada by John Inglis and Company. A contract was signed with the British and Canadian governments in March 1938 to supply 5,000 Bren machine guns to Great Britain and 7,000 Bren machine guns to Canada. Both countries shared the capital costs of bringing in this new production facility. Production started in 1940, and by 1943 Inglis was producing 60% of the world output of Bren machine guns.
First Special Service Force (FSSF) soldiers with Browning 30. cal GPMG, Anzio beachhead, Italy, 27 Apr 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3378973), and Browning .30 cal GPMG, Calgary Highlanders, Universal Carrier, Doetinchem, Netherlands, 1 Apr 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3358102)
C5 GPMG being fired from an M113 C & R Lynx, Germany, 1964. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235754)
C5 GPMG, based on the M1919 Browning .30 calibre air-cooled medium machine gun. Many M1919s were rechambered for the new 7.62×51mm NATO round and served into the 1990s.
M2 Machine Gun or Browning .50 Caliber Machine Gun, a heavy machine gun designed towards the end of the First World War by John Browning.
Lifebuoy Flamethrower, Balgerhoek, Belgium, 4 Oct 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3257117), and a Lifebuoy flamethrower, Xanten, Germany, 10 Mar 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3524539)
Royal Canadian Dragoons Reconnaissance Squadron Trooper on UN Duty with 7.62-mm FN C1 Rifle, observing the Turkish North side from Mount St Hilarion, Cyprus. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235958)
Canadian 7.62-mm FN C1 Rifles.
Cleaning an FN C1 rifle. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4314352)
Canadian 7.62-mm FN C2 Rifles.
FN C2 with advanced scope. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235844)
Russian 9-mm PPsH submachine-gun presented to HMCS Athabaskan, 11 May 1953. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3559780)
Russian 9mm PPsH submachine-gun.
Russian Dragunov Sniper Rifle, two 7.62-mm Degtyaryov light machine-guns (LMG), and two 7.92-mm RPK LMGs.
SPG-9 Kopye (Spear) is a Russian tripod-mounted man-portable, 73 millimetre calibre recoilless gun developed by the Soviet Union. It fires fin-stabilised, rocket-assisted HE and HEAT projectiles. It was accepted into service in 1962.
Pistols used by British and Canadian soldiers
Great Britain, Jones Flintlock Pistol, London, ca 1750.
USA, Starr .44 cal 1898 Army Revolver.
Great Britain, .476 cal Enfield Mk II Revolver.
Great Britain, .38 cal Enfield Revolver.
Great Britain, .38 cal Webley Revolver, Mk IV.
Great Britain, .455 cal Enfield Mk VI Pistol.
Great Britain, .455 cal Webley & Scott Mk V Pistol 1915.
Great Britain, .455 cal Webley & Scott Mk VI Pistol.
Great Britain, Webley & Scott 1918, No. 2, Mk 1 Flare Gun.
Great Britain, Wolseley 1918 Flare Pistol.
Great Britan 25-mm Mk 5M Flare Pistol.
USA, .32 cal Colt Army SPC Revolver.
USA, Colt Model 1878 revolver (in Canadian military service from 1885 -1892.)
USA, Colt New Service revolver (in Canadian military service from 1900 to 1928 and with the NWMP and RCMP from 1905-1954).
USA, .38 cal Smith & Wesson Revolver. Smith & Wesson Model 10, a.k.a. Smith & Wesson .38 Hand Ejector Model of 1899, the Smith & Wesson Military & Police or the Smith & Wesson Victory Model revolver. In production since 1899, it is a six-shot double-action revolver with fixed sights. Over its long production run it has been available with barrel lengths of 2 in (51 mm), 3 in (76 mm), 4 in (100 mm), 5 in (130 mm), and 6 in (150 mm). Over 6,000,000 of the type have been produced.
USA, .45 cal Colt Model 1911 semi-automatic pistol.
Canada, 9-mm Browning Hi Power single-action, semi-automatic handgun. This pistol is based on a design by American firearms inventor John Browning, and completed by Dieudonné Saive at Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Herstal, Belgium. Browning died in 1926, several years before the design was finalized. The Hi-Power is one of the most widely used military pistols in history, having been used by the armed forces of over 50 countries. Browning Hi-Power pistols were used during World War II by both Allied and Axis forces. After occupying Belgium in 1940, German forces took over the FN plant. German troops subsequently used the Hi-Power, having assigned it the designation Pistole 640(b) ("b" for belgisch, "Belgian"). Examples produced by FN in Belgium under German occupation bear German inspection and acceptance marks, or Waffenamts, such as WaA613. In German service, it was used mainly by Waffen-SS and Fallschirmjäger personnel.High-Power pistols were also produced in Canada for Allied use, by John Inglis and Company in Toronto. The plans were sent from the FN factory to Britain when it became clear the Belgian plant would fall into German hands, enabling the Inglis factory to be tooled up for Hi-Power production for Allied use. Inglis produced two versions of the Hi-Power, one with an adjustable rear sight and detachable shoulder stock (primarily for a Nationalist Chinese contract) and one with a fixed rear sight. Production began in the Fall of 1944 and they were on issue by the March 1945 Operation Varsity airborne crossing of the Rhine into Germany. The pistol was popular with the British airborne forces as well as covert operations and commando groups such as the Special Operations Executive (SOE), the U.S. Office of Strategic Services (OSS) and the British Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment. Inglis High-Powers made for Commonwealth forces have the British designation 'Mk 1', or 'Mk 1*' and the manufacturer's details on the left of the slide. They were known in British and Commonwealth service as the 'Pistol No 2 Mk 1', or 'Pistol No 2 Mk 1*' where applicable. Serial numbers were 6 characters, the second being the letter 'T', e.g. 1T2345. Serial numbers on pistols for the Chinese contract instead used the letters 'CH', but otherwise followed the same format. When the Chinese contract was cancelled, all undelivered Chinese-style pistols were accepted by the Canadian military with designations of 'Pistol No 1 Mk 1' and 'Pistol No 1 Mk 1*'. Canadian Forces continue to use pistols made by the John Inglis Co. of Ontario, Canada as their primary service pistol as it is still in service with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
3-inch Mortar crew, Regina Rifles, Normandy, 9 Jun 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3661951), and 3-inch Mortar crew, Essesx Scottish Regiment, Groesbeek, NE, 24 Jan 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3524605)
Great Britain, 3-inch Mortar.
Small arms from other nations
Belgium, 6.35-mm FN 1906 Pistol.
Belgium, 7.65-mm FN M1900 Pistol.
Belgium, 9-mm FN 626(b) 1910 Pistol, .
China, 7.62-mm Type 54 Pistol, copy of Soviet Tokarev TT.
China, 7.62-mm Norinco 87S (RPK) LMG.
China, 7.62-mm Norinco Type 56, SKSD Rifle with folding bayonet.
China, 7.62-mm Type 54, copy of Soviet PPS 43 SMG.
China, Type 56 copy of SKS.
East Germany, 7.62-mm MPi-AK-47 Assault Rifle.
East Germany, 7.62-mm MPi-AK-74N.
East Germany, 7.62-mm MPi-KMS side folding stock Assault Rifle.
France, 8-mm Berthier Lebel M16 Carbine.
France, 7.5-mm MAS-36G1 Rifle (top) and MAS-36 Rifle.
France, 7.5-mm MAS-49 semi-automatic Rifle.
German First World War Small Arms
Germany, 7.65-mm Dreyse M1907 semi-automatic pistol.
Germany, 7.63-mm Mauser Broomhandle M1916 semi-automatic pistol.
Germany, 9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol, 1918.
Germany, 9-mm Luger P08, Navy, second issue, 26-cm barrel, 1917.
Germany, 9-mm Luger P08, Lange Pistol 32-cm long-barreled artillery model,1918.
Canadian soldiers examining a captured German 9-mm Bergmann SMG, Amiens, France, Aug 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3404923)
Canadian soliders examining a German 13-mm Mauser T1918 T-Gewehr Anti-Tank Rifle mounted on small trailer during the advance East of Arras, September, 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3395395)
Canadian soldiers examining a German 13-mm Mauser T1918 T-Gewehr Anti-Tank Rifle captured during the Battle of Amiens, August, 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3395388). One is held in the NBMHM.
Germanuy, 13-mm Mauser T1918 T-Gewehr Anti-Tank Rifle.
Canadian with a German Mauser rifle examining a captured German 7.92-mm MG 08, Nieuport, Belgium. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3250984)
Germany, 7.92-mm Spandau Maxim schweres Maschinen Gewehr 08 (MG 08) heavy machine gun.
Canadians examining a captured German 7.92-mm MG 08-15, France, Mar 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3522120)
Germany, 7.92-mm Spandau Maxim leichtes Maschinen Gewehr 08/15 (MG 08/15) light machine gun. Two are held in the NBMHM.
German Second World War uniform display.
German Second World War Naval Flag display.
German Second World War Kriegsmarine (Naval) display.
German Second World War Kriegsmarine (Naval) dagger, one of two with one in the museum and this one in Fredericon.
German Second World War Small Arms
Spain, 9-mm Astra 600 semi-automatic pistol.
Belgium, 9-mm FN-Browning 626(b) 1922 semi-automatic pistol.
Czechoslovakia, 7.65-mm CZ vz. 27 semi-automatic pistol, Böhmische Waffenfabrik Pistole Model 27.
Hungary, 7.65-mm FÉG 37M semi-automatic pistol, Femaru Fegyver-es Gepygar RT Model 37.
Germany, 9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol, 21.7-cm, 1937.
France, 7.65-mm MAB model D automatic pistol.
Germany, 7.65-mm Mauser 34 semi-automatic pistol, Mauser-Werke Oberndorf GmbH, German Navy Model 1934.
Germany, 7.65-mm Mauser HSc semi-automatic pistol, Mauser-Werke Oberndorf GmbH.
Germany, 7.65-mm Ortgies Patent Vest Pocket hammerless semi-automatic pistol.
Poland, 9-mm Radom Vis 35 P35P single-action, semi-automatic pistol.
Germany, 7.65-mm Sauer 38H, H, J.P. Sauer & Sohn semi-automatic pistol.
Germany, 6.35-mm Steyr Model 1909 automatic pistol.
Germany, 9-mm Steyr-Hahn M1912 semi-automatic pistol.
Germany, 9-mm Model 11 Steyr-Hahn 1916 semi-automatic pistol rebored from 9 X 23 to 9 X 19-mm, showing the clip arrangement feeding the rounds (usually 8) into the magazine from the top. This pistol is in the personal collection of Norbert Strahlendorff.
France, 7.65-mm Unique Rr-51 Pistol.
Germany, 7.65-mm Walther 4 Pistol.
Calgary Highlander sniper with Walther P-38 pistol. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3257118)
Germany, 9-mm Walther P38 semi-automatic pistol, 1941.
Germany, 7.65-mm Walther PP and PPK.
Germany, 26.5-mm Schneide AG Leuchtpistole 42 (LP42) Flare Gun.
German rifles surrendered to Canadians being stacked for storage, Ijmuiden, Netherlands, 11 May 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3211669)
Germany, 7.92-mm Gewehr 98 Mauser Rifles.
Germany, 7.92-mm Gewehr 43 or Karabiner 43 (G43, K43, Gew 43, Kar 43), semi-automatic rifle.
Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlander soldier armed with a German 9-mm MP 40 submachine-gun storming a buildiing in Caen, France, 10 Jul 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3396194), and Canadian and First Special Service Force, with captured German and Italian automatic weapons in the Anzio beachhead, Italy, 20 April 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3396063)
Germany, 9-mm MP 40 submachine-gun.
Germany, 7.92-mm Sturmgewehr 43/44 (StG44, MP 43, MP 44) Assault Rifle. This weapon was on loan to the NBMHM from the NBM, in Saint John. It was returned in June 2014.
Germany, 7.92-mm Maschinengewehr 34 (MG 34) machine gun. This machine-gun was also on loan to the NBMHM from the NBM in Saint John. It was returned in June 2014.
Canadian soldiers examining a captured German MG 34, Normandy, ca June 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4232837)
Germany, 7.92-mm Maschinengewehr 42 (MG 42), machine gun.
Soldiers with the Regina Rifles examining German weapons, Zyfflich, Germany, 9 Feb 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3409521)
Canadian soldier examining a captured German 7.92-mm MG 42, Brettevukke-Orgueilleuse, France, 20 June 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3525813)
Germany, 7.92-mm MG 42 (top) and MG 34.
Germany, 7.62-mm MG 81 quadruple AA machine-gun mount.
Royal Canadian Navy, naval rating loading an ammunition drum onto a Hispano 20-mm anti-aircraft gun aboard an unidentified ship, Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 1941. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3394409)
Spain, 20-mm Hispano-Suiza HS.404 Heavy Anti-Aircraft Autocannon.
Denmark, 20-mm Madsen Cannon M/38 Heavy machine gun, stamped with the Nazi occupation marks.
Private R. Neel and Sergeant R.B. Swain of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada examining a German Panzerschreck anti-tank weapon found in an abandoned trench in Hochwald, Germany, 5 March 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No.3228409)
Private R. Langlois of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division examining a collection of captured German weapons, which include a number of 8.8-cm RPzB 43 Panzerschreck reusable anti-tank rocket launchers near the Hochwald, Germany, 3 March 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3529264), and soldiers serving in the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada examining a German 8.8-cm RPzB 43 Panzerschreck reusable anti-tank rocket launcher, Hochwald, Germany, 5 Mar 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3228409)
Germany, 8.8-cm RPzB 43 Panzerschreck reusable anti-tank rocket launcher.
German Second World War Police officer's dress uniform sword.
Israel, 5.56-mm IMI Galil Assault Rifle.
Israel, .62-mm 7FN FAL Rifle.
Italian Second World War small arms
Italy, 7.65-mm Beretta Model 1935 semi-automatic pistol, 1936 XIV.
Italy, Carcano bolt action Rifle.
Italy, Mannlicher M1895 bolt action Rifle.
Italy, 9-mm Beretta MAB 38 submachine-gun.
Japanese Second World War display inside the NBMHM.
Japanese Officer Gunto Swords.
Japanese Second World War Small Arms
Japan, Ariska Rifles.
Japan, 8-mm Nambu Type 14 semi-automatic pistols with large and small trigger guards.
Japan, 8-mm Nambu Type 94 semi-automatic pistol.
Foreign weapons in the NBMHM collection
Poland, 7.62-mm AK-47.
Sweden & Egypt, 6.5-mm Hakim AG-42 Ljungman Rifles.
USA .30 cal M1 Carbines, (Universal M1).
USA, .22 cal Quackenbush MM Junior Safety Rifle.
USA, .30-06 cal M1 Garand Rifle.
USA, .30-06 M1918 Browing Automatic Rifles.
USA, .45 cal M3A1 SMG.
2-inch mortar, Lake Superior Regiment, Aldershot, UK, 25 Nov 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3404617), and 2-inch mortar, NCO School, Ravenstein, NE, 26 Jan 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3524603)
USA, 2-inch Mortar.
RMC cadets training in Camp Borden with a 3.5-inch M20 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4234726)
RMC cadets training in Camp Borden with a 3.5-inch M20 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, ca 1965. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4234720)
USA, 3.5-inch M20 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher.
USA, 5.56-mm Colt Commando M16A1 Assault Rifle.
USA, 5.56-mm M16A2 with M203 grenade launcher.
USA, 7.62-mm M14 Rifle.
Yugoslavia, 7.62-mm Simonov M59.66 (SKS) Rifle.
The NBMHM is missing a number significant items from its collection of Canadian small arms, including the Boys Anti-Tank Rifle, a Portable Infantry Anti-Tank (PIAT) projector and an M41 Johnson light machine-gun among others.
Soldier of the Highland Light Infantry of Canada, who is armed with a Boys anti-tank rifle, taking part in a training exercise, Bognor Regis, England, 7 April 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3593048)
Parachute-qualified soldier, who is armed with a PIAT anti-tank weapon, undertaking winter infantry training at A-35 Canadian Parachute Training Centre (Canadian Army Training Centres and Schools), Camp Shilo, Manitoba, Canada, 20 March 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3592070)
First Special Service Force (FSSF) soldiers with M41 Johnson LMG, Anzio beachhead, Italy, 27 Apr 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3378973)