|Fredericton Region Museum (FRM), Machine Guns
Fredericton Region Museum,
German First World War Machine Guns
The Fredericton Region Museum, formerly known as the York Sunbury Museum, is a small, non-profit museum founded in 1934 by the York Sunbury Historical Society. The museum was housed in several different locations until 1959, when it moved into Officers' Square on Queen Street in Fredericton, New Brunswick. The Fredericton Region Museum focuses on preserving the history of the York and Sunbury region as well as central New Brunswick. The museum possesses a large and diverse collection of artefacts, including an extraordinary firearms collection, a few of which are illustrated here. The firearms have all been deactivated.
Photos of the small arms found in the museum are by the author and as credited.
Data current to 16 July 2019.
German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun, (Serial Nr. 5923). This gun was captured on 28 Aug 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in the 2nd Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France. This MG 08 was originally allocated to Fredericton. The weapon is mounted in a Great War exhibit inside the Fredericton Regional Museum on Officer’s Square.
German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08/15 Machinegun, (Serial Nr. 6209a), Gwf Spandau 1917. This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France. This MG is on display inside the Fredericton Regional Museum on Officer’s Square.
Accession No. 1969.2955.1.