Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) Warships (HMCS) Commissioned 1931–1949, Destroyers (A, C, D, E, F, G, and H Class)

Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) Warships (HMCS) Commissioned 1931–1949,

Destroyers

Data currrent to 15 June 2019.

Destroyers, A, C, D, E, F, G, and H Class

The RCN entered the Second World War with six destroyers in 1939, HMCS Saguenay (HO1/D79/179) (A class destroyer); HMCS Skeena (D59) (A class destroyer) were the first two, built to Canadian specifications.  In 1937 and 1938 they were joined by HMCS Fraser (H48) (C class); HMCS St. Laurent (H83) (C class); HMCS Restigouche (H00) (C class); and HMCS Ottawa (H60) (C class), which were purchased by the RCN from the RCN.  HMCS Assiniboine (I18) (C class destroyer) joined the RCN shortly after the war broke out in 1939.

HMCS Margaree (H49) (D class) joined the RCN in 1940, followed in 1943 and 1944 by HMCS Chaudière (H99) (H class destroyer); HMCS Gatineau (H61) (E class destoyer); HMCS Kootenay (H75) (D class destroyer); HMCS Qu’Appelle (H69) (F Class destroyer); HMCS Ottawa (H31) (G class destroyer) - the 2nd to carry its name during the war; and HMCS Saskatchewan (H70) (F class).

HMCS Saguenay (HO1/D79/179) 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3399173)

HMCS Saguenay (HO1/D79/179) (A class destroyer), Montreal, 1932.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Saguenay (HO1/D79/179) 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3399174)

HMCS Saguenay (HO1) (A class destroyer), Montreal, 1932.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3399179)

HMCS Saguenay (HO1) (A class destroyer), Montreal, 1934.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3576681)

HMCS Saguenay (HO1/D79/179) Depth Charge Thrower, 30 Oct 1941.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Saguenay (D79)

HMCS Skeena (D59) 

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Skeena (D59) (A class destroyer).

HMCS Fraser (H48) 

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Fraser (H48) was a C-class destroyer initially built for the Royal Navy and commissioned as HMS Crescent in the early 1930s.  Crescent was sold to the RCN in late 1936 and renamed HMCS Fraser.  She was stationed on the west coast of Canada until the beginning of the Second World War when she was transferred to the Atlantic coast for convoy escort duties.  The ship was transferred to the United Kingdom (UK) in May 1940 and helped to evacuate refugees from France upon her arrival in early June. HMCS Fraser was sunk on 25 June 1940 in a collision with the anti-aircraft cruiser HMS Calcutta while returning from one such mission.

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo, AM54-S4-: Bo P282.2)

HMCS Fraser (H48), with one of her four QF 4-7-inch Mk. IX main guns being serviced by one of her sailors, ca 1940.

HMCS St. Laurent (H83)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3724153)

HMCS St. Laurent (H83) (C class), 15 Aug 1941.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3399121)

HMCS St. Laurent (H83) (C class), 15 Aug 1941.

HMCS Restigouche (H00)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3207420)

HMCS Restigouche (H00) (C class), 1940.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4821061)

HMCS Restigouche (H00) (C class), 1940.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950930)

HMCS Restigouche (H00) (C class), May 1942.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950925)

HMCS Restigouche (H00) (C class), May 1942.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950926)

HMCS Restigouche (H00) (C class), May 1942.

HMCS Ottawa (H60)

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Ottawa (H60).

HMCS Ottawa (H60) was a C-class destroyer commissioned as HMS Crusader for the RN in the early 1930s.  Crusader was sold to the RCN in 1938 and renamed HMCS Ottawa.  She was initially deployed on the Canadian Pacific Coast before the Second World War, but was transferred to the Atlantic three months after the war began. Together with the British destroyer HMS Harvester, she sank the Italian submarine Comandante Faa' Di Bruno in the North Atlantic in November 1941.  She served as a convoy escort during the battle of the Atlantic until sunk by the German submarine U-91 on 14 September 1942.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Ottawa (H60).

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3305629)

HMCS Ottawa (H60) and HMCS Assiniboine (I18), Halifax, 19 Aug 1940.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3398976)

HMCS Ottawa (H60) and HMCS Assiniboine (I18), Halifax, 19 Aug 1940.

HMCS Assiniboine (I18)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) (C class destroyer).

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566830)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) (C class destroyer), 1 Nov 1940.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3399942)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) (C class destroyer), 1 Nov 1940.

 (Author Photo)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) attacking U-210 during the Battle of the Atlantic, artwork by Tom Forrestall. 

On 6 Aug 1942, while on escort duty with convoy SC-94 on the foggy Grand Banks, HMCS Assiniboine spotted the German submarine U-210 on the surface.  For the next seven hours she pursued the U-boat using every resource at her disposal to attack and destroy the U-boat.  The battle was fierce; at one point the two combatants were so close that the Canadian Destroyer could only use its .50 calibre machine guns and small arms.  The U-boat scored numerous hits with its 20-mm gun causing a fire abreast the starboard side of the bridge superstructure, and killing one and wounding 13 seamen.  Finally, as U-210 attempted to dive, the Destroyer successfully rammed the submarine just behind the conning tower, forcing it to surface.  HMCS Assiniboine then rammed U-210 again, sending it to the bottom in two minutes.  All but six of the U-boat crew were recovered.  Six members of HMCS Assiniboine's company received medals for their heroism during this engagement, and fourteen others were Mentioned in Dispatches.

In 2004, Tom Forrestall, a world-renowned Dartmouth, Nova Scotia-based painter, was commissioned to paint a mural that would highlight the valour and tenacity of the Royal Canadian Navy as a tribute to the Battle of the Atlantic.  The incident selected was this engagement between the River Class Destroyer HMCS Assiniboine and the German Type VII-C submarine U-210.  This artwork hangs in an honoured place in the Wardroom, an integral part of the CFB Halifax Officers’ Mess complex.

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) attacking U-210, 6 August 1942.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) ramming U-210  6 August 1942.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566952)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) signalmen, 1940.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566434)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) QF 2-pounder pom-pom Mk. VIII, V.S.M. (Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL) Automatic Gun, 10 July 1940.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566440)

HMCS Assiniboine (I18) QF 2-pounder pom-pom Mk. 1, V.S.M. (Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL) Automatic Gun, being fired on 10 July 1940.

HMCS Margaree (H49) 

 (RN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Margaree (H49) was a D-class destroyer commissioned as HMS Diana for the Royal Navy, entering naval service in 1932.  Diana was transferred to the RCN in 1940 and renamed HMCS Margaree.  She served for just over a month with the RCN before being sunk in a collision with a large freighter she was escorting on 22 October 1940.

HMCS Chaudiere (H99)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3201926)

HMCS Chaudiere (H99) gun crews, 7 Jan 1944. 

 (CFB Esquimalt Military Museum Photo)

 (Robert Chasse Photo)

HMCS Chaudière (H99) in RCN service.  As HMS Hero in RN service, she sank two German submarines whilst stationed in the Mediterranean in 1942.  She was converted to an escort destroyer before being transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1943 and renamed HMCS Chaudière.  She became part of the Mid-Ocean Escort Force (MOEF) in early 1944 until her transfer back to British coastal waters in May to protect the build-up for Operation Overlord.  Together with other ships, she sank three more German submarines during the year. HMCS Chaudière was refitting when the war ended in May 1945 and was in poor shape.  The ship was paid off in August and later sold for scrap.  The process of breaking her up, however, was not completed until 1950.

HMCS Gatineau (H61)

 (IWM Photo, FL 11685)

HMCS Gatineau (H61) in RN service as HMS Express.

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Gatineau (H61) in RCN service, ca 1943.

HMCS Kootenay (H75)

(IWM Photo, FL 11211)

 (Steve Rowland Photo)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3520751)

HMCS Kootenay (H75) (D class destroyer), firing Hedgehog depth charges during the action in which Escort Group 11 sank the German submarine U-621, 18 August 1944.  HMCS Ottawa is visible in the background.

HMCS Qu’Appelle (H69)

HMCS Qu’Appelle (H69), in her previous colours as HMS Foxhound.

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Qu’Appelle (H69) in RCN service.

HMCS Ottawa (H31)

 (IWM Photo, 8308-29)

HMCS Ottawa (H31) as HMS Griffin in 1936.  She was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy as HMCS Ottawa (H31) in 1943.  She was assigned to escort convoys in the North Atlantic until she was transferred in May 1944 to protect the forces involved with the Normandy Landings.  Working with other destroyers, HMCS Ottawa sank three German submarines off the French coast before she returned to Canada for a lengthy refit.  After the end of the European war in May 1945 she was used to bring Canadian troops home until she was paid off in October 1945.  HMCS Ottawa was sold for scrap in August 1946.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Ottawa (H31)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Ottawa (H31)

 (Bob Macklem Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Ottawa (H31).

HMCS Saskatchewan (H70) 

 (IWM Photo, FL 13249) 

HMCS Saskatchewan (H70) (F class), previously HMS Fortune, 1943.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Saskatchewan (H70) (F class) in RCN service.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Saskatchewan (H70) (F class) in RCN service.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Saskatchewan (H70).

Destroyers, Wickes and Clemson Class

In September 1940, the RCN was given six of the 50 overage American destroyers transferred to the UK in exchang for the use of British bases.  These warships included HMCS Columbia (I49) (Clemson class); HMCS Niagara (I57) (Clemson class): HMCS St. Clair (I65) (Clemson class); HMCS St. Croix (I81) (Wickes class); HMCS St. Francis (I93) (Wickes class); and HMCS Annapolis (I04) Clemson class.  HMCS Hamilton (I24) (Clemson class), was acquired in 1941, and HMCS Buxton (H96) (Wickes class) was acquired in 1943.

HMCS Columbia (I49)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3534147)

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Columbia (I49) (Clemson class), 1 Nov 1940.

HMCS Niagara (I57) 

HMCS Niagara (I57).

HMCS Niagara was one of 50 American four-stack destroyers transferred to the RCN in 1940.  Originially named for Admiral Henry K. Thatcher, the USS Thatcher (DD-162) was a Wickes-class destroyer laid down on 8 June 1918 at Quincy, Massachusetts, by the Fore River Plant of the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation; launched on 31 August 1918; and commissioned on 14 January 1919. 

The European situation had taken a drastic turn with the fall of France in June 1940.  British destroyer forces in the wake of the disastrous Norwegian campaign and the evacuation of Dunkirk found themselves thinly spread, especially after Italy entered the war on Germany's side. Prime Minister Winston Churchill appealed to the United States for help.

In response, America's President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued an executive order authorizing the transfer of 50 "over age" destroyers to the British in return for 99-year leases on strategic base sites in the western hemisphere. USS Thatcher was accordingly withdrawn from the Atlantic Squadron she was serving with in Destroyer Division 69 for transfer to the Royal Canadian Navy, which had been allocated six of the "50 ships that saved the world," as these vessels came to be known.

As such, USS Thatcher and her five sisters arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 20 September 1940, the third group of the "flush deckers" transferred.  Decommissioned on 24 September 1940, USS Thatcher was struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1941.

Renamed HMCS Niagara following the Canadian practice of naming destroyers after Canadian rivers (but with deference to the U.S. origin), after the Niagara River forming the border between New York and Ontario.  Niagara departed Halifax on 30 November; proceeded eastward via St. John's, Newfoundland; and arrived in the British Isles on 11 December.  Early in 1941, the destroyer was allocated to the 4th Escort Group, Western Approaches Command, and based at Greenock, Scotland. Subsequently transferred to the Newfoundland escort force, Niagara operated on convoy escort duties into the summer of 1941. While she was operating with this force, she took part in the capture of a German U-boat, U-570.

  (RCN Photo)

HMCS Niagara (I57) (Clemson class).

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Niagara (I57) (Clemson class).

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Niagara (I57) (Clemson class) viewed from the air during the capture of U-570.

 (IWM Photo, FL 951)

German U-Boat U-570 entering the dock at Barrow-in-Furness after her capture by the Royal Navy.

HMCS Niagara sped to the scene and arrived at 08:20 on 28 August 1941.  Rough weather initially hampered the operation but eventually, by 18:00, HMCS Niagara had placed a prize crew aboard the submarine and had taken U-570 in tow.  During the operation, she also took the 43-man crew of the enemy craft on board.  Towed to Þorlákshöfn, Iceland, the U-boat eventually served in the Royal Navy as HMS Graph.

In January 1942, HMCS Niagara escorted the tempest-battered Danish merchantman Triton into Belfast, Northern Ireland, after the freighter had been severely mauled in a storm at sea.  In March the destroyer rescued the survivors from the American merchantman SS Independence Hall, which had run aground off Sable Island, Nova Scotia, and had broken in half.  The next month, she picked up two boatloads of survivors from the sunken steamer SS Rio Blanco, which had been torpedoed by U-160 on 1 April 1942, 40 nautical miles (74 km) east of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.

The destroyer subsequently underwent boiler repairs at Pictou from May to August 1942 before resuming coastwise convoy operations between Halifax and New York and escort duty in the western Atlantic.  Another refit at Pictou came in June and October 1943, before she continued her coastwise convoy escort missions through 1944.

HMCS Niagara became a torpedo-firing ship - first at Halifax and later at St. John, New Brunswick - from the spring of 1945 until the end of the Second World War in mid-August 1945, training torpedomen.  Decommissioned on 15 September 1945, HMCS Niagara was turned over to the War Assets Corporation on 27 May 1946 and broken up for scrap soon thereafter.

HMCS St. Clair (I65) 

 (USN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS St. Clair (I65) (Clemson class); previously USS Williams (DD-108), entering service with the USN in 1919.  Following a brief stint in active service, the ship was laid up for 17 years before being transferred to the RCN.  It survived the war, but was scrapped in 1946.

Renamed HMCS St. Clair (I65), following the Canadian practice of naming destroyers after Canadian rivers (but with deference to the U.S. origin), her name commemorates the St. Clair River which forms the boundary between Michigan and Ontario.  This destroyer was fitted out for convoy escort duties and sailed for the UK on 30 November 1940.  Operating with the Clyde Escort force, HMCS St. Clair escorted convoys in and out of the heavily travelled Western Approaches to the British Isles in the spring of 1941.  Late in May, when the German battleship Bismarck and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen slipped through the Denmark Straits, the "flush decker" became involved in the intensive and widespread effort to destroy the German warship. Eventually, a British force located and sank Bismarck on 27 May, but not before the tragic loss of HMS Hood on 24 May.  The search for the elusive German force brought some of the British units dangerously close to exhaustion of their fuel supplies.  HMCS St. Clair, near the battle area, came under attack by German long-range bombers. The old destroyer doggedly put up a good defense, shooting down one, and possibly, a second, enemy aircraft.

HMCS St. Clair subsequently joined the Newfoundland Escort Force after this group's establishment in June 1941 and operated on convoy escort missions between Newfoundland and Reykjavik, Iceland, through the end of 1941.  HMCS St. Clair was assigned to the Western Local Escort Force following repairs at Saint John, New Brunswick, in early 1942, and operated out of Halifax over the next two years, escorting coastwise convoys until withdrawn from this service in 1943 due to her deteriorating condition.

Operating as a submarine depot ship at Halifax until deemed unfit for further duty "in any capacity" in August 1944, HMCS St. Clair was used as a fire-fighting and damage control hulk until 1946.  She was handed over to the War Assets Corporation for disposal, on 6 October 1946,  and was subsequently broken up for scrap.

HMCS St. Croix (I81) 

(RCN Photo)

HMCS St. Croix (I81) was a Wickes class destroyer that was originally commissioned as USS McCook (DD-252), until she was transferred to the RN and then to the RCN in 1940.  She sank U-90 in the North Atlantic on 24 July 1942.  HMCS St. Croix was torpedoed in the mid-Atlantic and lost on 20 Sep 1943.

 (George Metcalf Archival Collection, CWM Photo, 19900085-1040)

HMCS St. Croix (I81) (Wickes class).

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3571062)

HMCS St. Croix (I81) (Wickes class), Rating manning a .50 cal AA machine-gun, March 1941.

HMCS St. Francis (I93) 

 (Government of NS Virtual Archives Photo)

HMCS St. Francis (I93).

 (DND Photo)

HMCS St. Francis (I93), (ex-USS Bancroft, DD-256) early in her war service with mainmast reduced to a stump, shortened funnels, a modified bridge, radar Type 286 and the usual 12-pounder gun aft and the loss of the after tubes.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3396601)

HMCS St. Francis (I93) (Wickes class), refueling at sea, 7 Nov 1942.  Previously USS MacKenzie (DD–175).

HMCS Annapolis (I04) 

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Annapolis (I04) after having one stack and one boiler removed.

HMCS Annapolis's (I04) was transferred to the RCN on 24 Sep 1940.  Her No. 4 boiler was damaged during workup and it was removed and not replaced, together with a funnel, during repairs which continued until February 1941.  Until 1944, HMCS Annapolis sailed with the Halifax and Western Local Escort Forces, escorting convoys from east of St. Johns, Newfoundland to New York.  In April 1944, she was attached to HMCS Cornwallis, near Annapolis, Nova Scotiqa, where she remained as a training ship until the end of the war.  On 4 June 1945, she was turned over to the War Assets Corporation and sold to Frankel Brothers, Ltd., of Toronto for scrapping.

The ship's bell of HMCS Annapolis is currently held by the town of Annapolis Royal in Nova Scotia.  The Christening Bells Project at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt Naval and Military Museum includes information from the ship's bell of HMCS Annapolis, which was used for baptism of babies onboard ship.

HMCS Hamilton (I24)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Hamilton (I24), in service with the RN as HMS Hamilton

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Hamilton (I24), taken on strength with the RCN in 1941.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3201273)

HMCS Hamilton (I24) with its QF 4-inch gun crew training, 10 Aug 1944.

HMCS Buxton (H96)

 (RN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Buxton (H96) (Wickes class), acquired by the RCN in 1943.  Commissioned as USS Edwards on 24 Apr 1918, she saw brief service with the USN in Europe before being placed in reserve at San Diego in 1922.  Re-commissioned in Dec 1939, she was given an overhaul, and from Apr to Sep 1940, was on Neutrality Patrol in the Gulf of Mexico and off the east coast of the U.S.  On 8 Oct 1940 she was commissioned HMS Buxton at Halifax and assigned to local duties, since serious defects prevented her from crossing the Atlantic.  Following a major refit at Boston from Jul to Sep 1941, she made her first transatlantic crossing in Oct 1941, only to undergo further repairs at Chatham in the UK, which kept her idle from Dec 1941 to Apr 1942.  Returning to Canadian waters in Aug 1942, she was assigned to WLEF, but her defects persisted and she was taken to Boston in Dec 1942 for further repairs. These repairs completed, she arrived at St. John's on 30 Mar 1943, to rejoin WLEF, three months later becoming part of its newly formed EG W-1.  Continuing sickly, Buxton was offered to the RCN for training purposes and arrived at Digby in Dec 1943, having been commissioned on 4 Nov 1943 at Halifax.  She continued as a stationary training ship until paid off 2 Jun 1945, at Sydney, and was broken up the same year at Boston.

Destroyers, Tribal, V, and C 1943 Class

The Tribal class destroyers were built for the RN, the RCN and the RAN and served during and after the Second World War.  They were originally intended to serve as light fleet cruisers, but in response to new designs by Japan, Italy, and Germany, the Tribals evolved into fast, powerful destroyers, with greater emphasis on guns over torpedoes than previous destroyers.  The Tribals were well admired by their crews and the public when they were in service.  The Tribal class destroyers served with distinction in nearly all theatres of the Second World War.   Canadian Tribals saw service in the Korean War.

HMCS Athabaskan (G07) Tribal class; HMCS Athabaskan (R79) (Tribal class); HMCS Cayuga (R04) (Tribal class); HMCS Haida (G63) Tribal class); HMCS Huron (G24) (Tribal class); HMCS Iroquois (G89) (Tribal class); HMCS Micmac (R10) (Tribal class); HMCS Nootka (R96) (Tribal class); HMCS Algonquin (R17) (V class destroyer); (HMCS Sioux (R64) (V-class); HMCS Crescent (R16) (C class (1943) destroyer); HMCS Crusader (R20) (C class)

HMCS Athabaskan (G07)

(IWM Photo, A22987)

HMCS Athabaskan (G07), ca 1944.

 (DND Photo)

On 29 April 1944 at about 0300 hours, HMCS Athabaskan was patrolling with her sister Tribal-class destroyer HMCS Haida in support of a British minelaying operation off the coast of France near the mouth of the Morlaix River.  She received the first of a series of Admiralty orders to intercept German warships near Ile de Bas as spotted by coastal radar in southern England. During the subsequent engagement with German naval vessels, HMCS Athabaskan was torpedoed and sank.  128 men were lost, 44 were rescued by HMCS Haida and 83 were taken prisoner by three German minesweepers whihc sortied from the coast after the departure of HMCS Haida.

Accounts of the night battle vary.  Some survivors recount that the ship was initially struck by shore-battery gunfire, and then by a torpedo launched by German torpedo boat T24.  At least one survivor tells of a second torpedo hit fifteen minutes after the first, but the official history of the Royal Canadian Navy attributes the second major explosion to the fires touching off the ammunition magazine.

HMCS Athabaskan (R79)

 (RCN Photo)

 (CFB Esquimalt Naval and Military Museum Photo)

  (USN Photo)

HMCS Athabaskan (R79), off the Korean coast, ca 1950.  

She was the second RCN destroyer to named HMCS Athabaskan, after the many tribes throughout western Canada that speak Athabaskan family languages.  It was also known as HMCS Athabaskan II.  Built too late to see action in the North Atlantic, HMCS Athabaskan served in the Korean War, and played an important role in Canadian postwar naval reform.

HMCS Cayuga (R04)

 (RCN Photo)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4821142)

HMCS Cayuga (R04), (Tribal class), 218,1956.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4476764)

HMCS Cayuga (R04), 218, (Tribal class), 20 Aug 1958.

 (DND Photo)

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo)

HMCS Cayuga (R04), 218, 11 June 1955.

HMCS Haida (G63)

  (RCN Photo)

HMCS Haida (G63), 16 March 1949.

HMCS Haida (G63) is a Tribal-class destroyer that served in the RCN from 1943 to 1963, participating in both the Second World War and the Korean War.  She was named for the Haida First Nations tribe.  She is the only surviving Tribal-class destroyer out of 27 vessels constructed for the RCN, RN and RAN between 1937 and 1945.  HMCS Haida sank more enemy surface tonnage than any other Canadian warship and as such is commonly referred to as the "Fightingest Ship in the Royal Canadian Navy".  HMCS Haida was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984, and she now serves as a museum ship berthed next to HMCS Star, an active RCNR Division, in Hamilton, Ontario.  In 2018, HMCS Haida was designated the ceremonial flagship of the RCN.

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Haida (G63) off the coast of Korea, ca. 1952-1954.

(Balcer Photo)

HMCS Haida, one of two main twin 4-inch Mk 16 gun turrets.

 

 (Author Photos)

HMCS Haida (G63), Hamilton harbour, Ontario.

HMCS Huron (G24)

 (RCN Photo)

 (TheEastCoastRoys Photo)

HMCS Huron (G24).

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Huron (G24).

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Huron (G24).

HMCS Iroquois (G89)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Iroquois (G89).

 (RCN Photo)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Iroquois (G89), 217.

HMCS Micmac (R10)

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Micmac (R10) served with the RCN from 1945 to 1964.  HMCS Micmac was the first modern, high-performance warship built in Canada.  She was the first of four Tribal destroyers built at the Halifax Shipyard and one of eight Tribal-class destroyers to serve in the Royal Canadian Navy.  She was armed with six 4.7-inch (120-mm) guns (3 double mounts), two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 double mount), four 2-pound (0.9 kg) guns (1 x quadruple mount); eight 20-mm guns (4 double mounts), four 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes (1 quadruple mount) and depth charges; (Escort) four 4-inch (102-mm) guns (2 double mounts), two 3-inch (76-mm) guns (1 double mount), six 40-mm guns (6 single mounts), four 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes (1 quadruple mount) and two Squid mortars.

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Micmac (R10), 214, HMCS Athabaskan (R79), 219, HMCS Nootka (R96), 213, HMCS Cayuga 218.

 (Harry Pot Photo)

HMCS Micmac (R10), behind HMCS Huron (G24), 11 Oct 1950.

HMCS Nootka (R96)

  (RCN Photo)

HMCS Nootka (R96)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Nootka (R96)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Nootka (R96)

HMCS Algonquin (R17)

 (IWM Photo)

HMCS Algonquin (R17)

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Algonquin (R17), 223.

 

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4821021)

HMCS Algonquin (R17), 4.7-inch gun crew after shelling Normandy beachhead, 6 June 1944.  She took part in escorting the aircraft carriers that bombed the German warship Tirpitz in March 1944, prior to providing naval gunfire support in Operation Neptune, the naval participation in the D-Day landings.  

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3223884)

HMCS Algonquin (R17), 4.7-inch gun crew after shelling Normandy beachhead, 6 June 1944.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4820934)

HMCS Algonquin (R17), Ordnance QF 40-mm Bofors Twin AA gun with RCN ensign, 1944.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4233946)

HMCS Algonquin (R17) (V class destroyer), enroute to France, 18 June 1944.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3348210)

HMCS Algonquin, Twin 3-inch gun mount, 21 Jan 1955.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3577106)

HMCS Algonquin, Ordnance QF 40-mm Bofors Twin AA gun crew.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3921885)

HMCS Algonquin (R17) (V class destroyer).

HMCS Sioux (R64)

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Sioux (R64) (V-class).

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950996)

HMCS Sioux (R64) (V-class), ca 1954.

HMCS Crescent (R16)

(IWM Photo, FL 10054)

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Crescent (R16), 226.

HMCS Crusader (R20)

(IWM Photo, FL 10052)

HMCS Crusader (DD 228), circa in 1946 after the transfer to the RCN. Crusader had been commissioned in 1945 as HMS Crusader (R20).  She was later converted to an anti-submarine frigate (DDE 228) and scrapped in 1964.

 (USN Photo, 80-G-642747)

HMCS Crusader (DDE 228) underway off Korea on 3 March 1954.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4821386)

HMCS Crusader and HMCS Crescent alongside in Japan.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 2242383)

HMS Cossack (L03) a Royal Tribal Class Destroyer, similar to HMCS Iroquois (G89) and HMCS Athabaskan (G07) which still under construction at the time, was used as the study for the Canadian 1942 $1 stamp.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 2185091)

Canadian $1 stamp issued on 1 July 1942, depicting a Tribal Class Destroyer.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3567270)

Torpedo handling on an RCN Destroyer, Halifax, March 1941.