Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) 1942–1964, Support Ships

Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) 1942–1964,

Support Ships

Data currrent to 4 July 2019.

HMCS Cape Breton (ARE 100)

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100 was an RCN Cape-class escort maintenance ship.  She was originally built for the Royal Navy as HMS Flamborough Head in 1944.  She was transferred to the RCN in 1952, and commissioned on 31 Jan 1953 as the second ship to bear the name Cape Breton.  She served operationally from 1953 to 1964, when she was laid up. 

She served at Halifax until 25 Aug 1958 as a repair ship and training establishment for technical apprentices.  Converted to an escort maintenance ship at Esquimalt, HMCS Cape Breton was commissioned there on 16 Nov 1959 for service on the West coast.  On 10 Feb 1964, HMCS Cape Breton was paid off into reserve and subsequently functioned as a towed mobile support facility and accommodation vessel at Esquimalt, until replaced by a shore building in 1993.  Sold to the Artificial Reef Society of British Columbia, she was sunk as a sport-divers’ wreck on 20 Oct 2001 off Snake Island, near Nanaimo.

 (City of Vancouver Archives,  Walter E. Frost Photo, AM1506-S3-3-: CVA 447-3803)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100, dockside, 19 Aug 1961.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100.

 (IWM Photo, FL 13145)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100 as HMS Flamborough Head ca 1945.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100, departing Esquimalt Harbour, BC, ca Sep 1962. 

 (Grant Sinclair Photo)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100 leaving Pearl Harbor, Nov 1963.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Breton ARE 100.

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101)

 (Claus Mathes Photo)

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101).  Built by Burrard Dry Dock Co. Ltd., Vancouver, as a modified Fort type cargo ship, HMS Beachy Head was launched at Vancouver in 1944. After the war, she was turned over to the Royal Netherlands Navy in 1947 as repair ship Vulkaan.  In 1949 she was returned to the RN and resumed her original name until 1952, when she was transferred to the RCN.  She lay alongside Halifax for some years, providing supplementary workshop and classroom facilities until HMCS Cape Breton was transferred to the west coast in 1958.  After refit at Saint John, HMCS Cape Scott was commissioned (ARE 101) on 28 Jan 1959, to serve at Halifax.  In February 1965, HMCS Cape Scott transited the Panama Canal after visiting Peru and Easter Island enroute to Halifax.  She was paid off into reserve on 1 Jul 1970, and re-designated Fleet Maintenance Group (Atlantic) in 1972.  She was sold when the group moved ashore in 1975 and left under tow in 1978 to be broken up in Texas.

 (Claus Mathes Photo)

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101). 

 (Don Gorham Photo)

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101). 

 (Jarrod David Photo)

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101). 

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101). 

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101). 

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Cape Scott (ARE 101). 

Fairmile Support Ships

HMCS Preserver F94

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Preserver F94,  27 Jun 1942.  Commissioned on 11 Jul 1942, at Sorel, Quebec, she arrived at Halifax on 4 Aug, having escorted a Quebec-Sydney convoy en route.  She was assigned to Newfoundland Force as a Fairmile base supply ship, arriving at St. John's on 18 Sep but transferring almost immediately to Botwood, Newfoundland.  She returned to St. John's in Mid-Dec, staying until the end of Jul 1943, when she moved to Red Bay.  Back at St. John's in Nov, she returned to Red Bay in mid-Jun 1944, and at the beginning of Sep, moved to Sydney.  After a refit at Halifax at the beginning of 1945, HMCS Preserver returned once more to St. John's but was transferred to Shelburne, NS, in Jun.  Paid off on 6 Nov 1945, at Shelburne, she was sold to the Peruvian Navy in 1946 and renamed Mariscal Castilla, then Cabo Blanco.  She was broken up in 1961.

 (Ryan Lee Photo)

ML Q111, ML Q103 and an unknown ML alongside HMCS Preserver F94, St. John's, Newfoundland.

 (Ryan Lee Photo)

HMCS Preserver F94 secured at the trot buoys, St. John's, Newfoundland.  The Fairmiles of the 77th Motor Launch Flotilla are nested at the jetty

HMCS Provider F100

 (Charles Dobie Photo)

HMCS Provider F100.  Sister to HMCS Preserver, she was commissioned at Sorel on 1 Dec 1942, and arrived at Halifax on 14 Dec.  Two flotillas of Fairmiles were to proceed to the Caribbean to alleviate a shortage of escorts there, and HMCS Provider was ordered south to be their base supply ship.  She accordingly sailed on 19 Jan 1943, but had to return owing to storm damage and sailed again ten days later, arriving at Trinidad on 20 Feb.  One Fairmile flotilla, the 73rd, joined her at Guantanamo, Cuba, proceeding with her in Mar to a new base at Key West.  Returning to Halifax on 23 Apr, she was then assigned to Gaspé Force, arriving on 22 May, and subsequently transferred to Sept Iles, where she remained from 29 Jun until Nov.  At the end of 1943 she proceeded to Halifax and thence to Bermuda to serve as base ship for the 70th and 78th Flotillas.  HMCS Provider returned to Halifax on 31 Jul 1944, but sailed again that Sep for Bermuda, where she was attached to the recently established base HMCS Somers Isle, until May 1945.  She then went to Halifax as base supply ship until she was paid off on 22 Mar 1946, to be sold later that year to Peruvian owners and renamed Maruba.  Subsequently acquired by the Peruvian Navy, she served as Orgenos until disposed of for scrap in 1961.

 (CFB Esquimalt Naval and Military Museum Photo)

HMCS Provider F100, 17 Jan 1943.

 (Charles Dobie Photo)

HMCS Provider F100.