Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) 1939–1945, Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB), Motor Gun Boats (MGB), and Fairmile Motor Launches

Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) 1939–1945,

Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB), Motor Gun Boats (MGB), and Fairmile Motor Launches

Data currrent to 17 July 2019.

Motor Torpedo Boats

CMTB-1 (V-250), RN MTB 332

 (DND Photo)

A prototype MTB, CMTB-1 was shipped to Canada in 1940 by the British Power Boat Co., which had contracts for 12 of the type to be built at Montreal, Quebec.  CMTB-1 arrived on 16 Jul 1940, and was rebuilt to RCN specifications.  She was then sent to Halifax as a training vessel that fall.   She arrived there on 17 Dec 1940 after a trip fraught with difficulties owing to ice and weather, and had been aground for a time near Richibucto, NB, on 27 Nov 1940.  She was at some point designated V-250.  The boat returned to Montreal for refit in Aug 1941, following which she was turned over to the RN as MTB 332.  She seems to have been the only one of the twelve to serve, however briefly, in the RCN.  The others became MTBs 333-343 (RN) in Aug1941 and renamed MTB-332.

 (DND Photo)

Canadian Motor Torpedo Boat V-250 undergoing trials on the St. Lawrence in the autumn of 1941. This was the original British Power Boat Private Venture seventyfoot prototype which was shipped to Canada.  Note the twin .50 calibre M.G. turrets without weapons.

MTB S-09

 (DND Photo)

MTB S-09 was one of six US PT boats acquired by the RN under Lend Lease in 1941.  Numbered PT-3, PT-4, PT-5, PT-6, PT-7, and PT-9, they were subsequently lent by the RN to the RCN.  PT-9 was re-designated S-09, while her five sisters served the RCAF as crash boats from 1941 to 1945.  Alone of the group, S-09 was built in Britain, by the British Power Boat Co. at Hythe, in 1939, for the Elco Boat Co. of New Jersey.  She was handed over to the RCN without engines, arriving in tow at Montreal on 23 Aug 1941.  There the Canadian Power Boat Co. fitted her with two 500 HP engines that enabled her to make only 22 knots.  Delivered to the RCN on 25 Sep 1942, she served out of Halifax, Gaspé and Quebec before proceeding to Toronto in May, 1944, to serve as firing range patrol vessel off Frenchman's Bay.  On 15 Jun 1944, HMCS York was the D/S for S09.  She was turned over to the British Naval Liaison Officer at New York in late Jun 1945.

MTB 462, 29th Flotilla, UK, 1944.  Motor Torpedo Boat (MTB) was the name given to fast torpedo boats by the Royal Navy and the Royal Canadian Navy.  The 'motor' in the formal designation, refers to the use of gasoline-powered engines, to distinguish them from the majority of other naval craft that used steam turbines or reciprocating steam engines.

Motor Torpedo Boats, Type D Class, 65th Canadian Motor Torpedo Boat Flotilla

MTBs were designed for high speed, operating at night, low speed ambush (to keep noise low and to produce no wake) and manoeuvrability on the water.  This enabled them to get close enough to launch their torpedoes at enemy vessels.  With no significant armour, the boats relied upon surprise and their agility at high speed to avoid being hit by gunfire from bigger ships.

Canadian MTBs were used by the RCN's 29th MTB Flotila.  They were originally designed as Motor Gun Boats (MGBs)  armed with a 6-pounder (57-mm, 2.24 inch) gun, to engage enemy small craft.  They were re-designated Motor Torpedo Boats.

MTB 726 (Type D)

 (Jeff Bobbie Photo)

MTB 726, a "D" Type, 115 x 21.25 x 5.25ft,  Displacement: 102 tons, Speed: 29kts, Complement: 4 Officers, 28 Men, Armament: two 6-pounders, two 20-mm (1xII), two 18-inch TT.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 726 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was returned to the RN on 22 May 1945.

 (Larry Varrin Photo)

MTB 726, 1944.

 (Larry Varrin Photo)

MTB 726, 1944.

MTB 727 (Type D)

 (Paul Bray Photo)

MTB 727 (Type D).  In Jan 1944, she was listed as part of the 65th MTB Flotilla.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 727 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  MTB 727 was returned to the RN on 21 May 1945.

MTB 735 (Type D)

 (Naval Museum of Manitoba Photo)

MTB 735 (Type D).  In Feb 1944 she was listed a part of the 65th MTB Flotilla.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 735 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was removed from service and returned to the RN on 21 Jun 1945.

 (Jessica Santos Photo)

MTB 735 (Type D). Yarmouth, NS.

MTB 736 (Type D)

 (Jeff Bobbie Photo)

MTB 736 (Type D).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned in the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 736 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was returned to the RN on 18 May 1945.

MTB 743 (Type D) 

 (Jeff Bobbie Photo)

MTB 743 (Type D).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned in the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 743 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was returned to the RN in 1945.

MTB 743 (Type D).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned in the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 743 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was returned to the RN in 1945.

MTB 745 (Type D)

 (Paul Bray Photo)

MTB 745 was part of the 65th MTB Flotilla in Jan 1944. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB-745 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.

MTB 746 (Type D).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned in the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 746 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was returned to the RN on 18 May 1945.

MTB 748 (Type D)

 (Paul Bray Photo)

MTB 748 (Type D).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels). MTB 748 was returned to the RN on 23 May 1945. MTB-748 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.

MTB 797 (Type D).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 797 was returned to the RN on 21 May 1945.

Motor Torpedo Boats, Type G Class, 29th Canadian Motor Torpedo Boat Flotilla

MTB 459 (Type G)

 (DND Photo)

MTB 459 (Type G).  Displacement: 44 tons, Length: 71.75 ft, Beam: 20.6 ft, Draught: 5.6 ft, Speed: 39 kts, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: one 6-pounder, two 20-mm(1xII) four 18-inch TT.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jan 1944, MTB 459 was listed as part of the 29th MTB Flotilla.  MTB 459 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was destroyed by fire at Ostend, Belgium, on 14 Feb 1945.

 (Larry Varrin Photo)

MTB 459 (Type G). 

 (Coastal Forces Trust Photo)

MTB 459 (Type G). 

MTB 460 (Type G)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950981)

MTB 460 at speed, 29th Flotilla, English Channel, ca 1944.

MTB 460 (Type G).  In Jan 1944, MTB 459 was listed as part of the 29th MTB Flotilla.  MTB 459 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was sunk by mine on 2 Jul 1944 with a loss of 10 men.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950975)

MTB 460 (Type G), 29th Flotilla in line-ahead formation, English Channel, ca 1944.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950976)

MTB 460 (Type G), 29th Flotilla in line-ahead formation, English Channel, ca 1944.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950977)

MTB 460 (Type G), 29th Flotilla in line-ahead formation, English Channel, ca 1944.  MTB-460 was commissioned in March 1944 and sunk on the night of 2 July 1944.

MTB 461 (Type G), 29th Flotilla.  She was destroyed by fire at Ostend, Belgium, 14 Feb 1945 with the loss of 9 of her crew.

MTB 462 (Type G)

 (Larry Varrin Photo)

MTB 462 (Type G).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned in the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 462 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was destroyed by fire at Ostend, Belgium, 14 Feb 1945 with the loss of 6 of her crew.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, PA144574)

MTB 462 (Type G). 

 (Larry Varrin Photo)

MTB 462 (Type G). 

 (Larry Varrin Photo)

MTB 462 (Type G).

MTB 463 (Type G)

 (DND Photo) 

MTB 463 (Type G).  MTB 463 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  On 7 Jul 1944, MTB 463 was sunk by a mine in the English Channel.  MTB 466 picked up her crew - none were lost.

MTB 464 (Type G).  MTB 464 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.

MTB 465 (Type G).  MTB 465 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was destroyed by fire at Ostend, Belgium, on 14 Feb 1945 with the loss of 6 of her crew.

 MTB 466 (Type G)

 (Don Gorham Photo)

 MTB 466 (Type G).  MTB 466 took part in the D-Day landings on 6 Jun 1944.  She was destroyed by fire at Ostend, Belgium, on 14 Feb 1945 with the loss of one of her crew.

MTB 485 (Type G)

 (Don Gorham Photo)

MTB 485 (Type G).  MTB 485 was removed from service on 10 Mar 1945.

MTB 486 (Type G).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned in the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 486 was removed from service on 8 Mar 1945 and sold sometime thereafter.  There is a fundraising campaign underway by Canadian Coastal Forces Trust to raise money to purchase and restore MTB 486 back to operational condition. It is currently serving as a houseboat in the UK.

MTB 491 (Type G).  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned in the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Stadacona (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  MTB 491 was removed from service on 10 Mar 1945.

Fairmile Motor Launches

The Fairmile B and D motor torpedo boats were designed to combat the known advantages of the German E-boats over previous British coastal craft designs.  At 112 feet, they were bigger than earlier MTB or MGB designs (which were typically around 70 feet) but slower, at 30 knots compared to 40 knots.  229 boats were built between 1942 and 1945.

Many versions were produced or converted from existing MGB and MTBs.  Since the Fairmile B and D could be fitted out with a mix of armament that gave it the capabilities of both a Motor Gun Boat and a Motor Torpedo boat, the MGB designation was dropped.

Canada built 80 boats.  These were built in 13 different boatyards to slightly different specifications and used as escort vessels.  59 of them were built in Great Lakes boat yards.  Fourteen of the remainder were built on the west coast and seven at Weymouth, Nova Scotia.  They were numbered Q 050 to Q129.  Eight of these (ML 392- ML 399) were built by Le Blanc for the Royal Navy.  These eight boats were transferred under Lend-Lease to the USN, because US coastal protection had been depleted by transferring ships to the Royal Navy for convoy work.  The USN used them as submarine chasers (SC1466- SC1473) until their forces could be built up.  There are two surviving examples on the west coast of Canada serving as party charter vessels.

The Fairmiles played a vital role as escorts in the St. Lawrence River and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and as escorts to convoys between Newfoundland and the mainland.  They also carried out A/S patrol, port defence and rescue duties, releasing larger escort craft urgently needed elsewhere.  In 1942 two flotillas were sent to the Caribbean for the winter, because German U-boats were enjoying great success thre owing to a shortage of US escorts.

The 72nd and 73rd Flotillas, of six boats each, left Halifax in mid-December for Trinidad via Boston and other east coast ports.  Stress of weather en route forced the 73rd Flotilla to return home after reaching Savannah, Georgia, but the boats of the 73rd Flotilla operated until the following spring out of Miami and Key West under the (US) Commander, Gulf Sea Frontier.  Their support ship, HMCS Provider was stationed at Key West.  She also acted as the base ship for the 70th and 78th Flotillas in Bermuda during the winter of 1943-44.

On 1 June 1943, ML Q053 distinguished herself by recovering, intact, two mines of a barrage laid by U-119 in the Halifax approaches.  ML Q052, Q062, and Q063 were transferred to the Free French Forces in February 1943, and stationed at St. Pierre and Miquelon under the operational control of the Flag Officer, Newfoundland.

Most of the Fairmiles were sold at the end of the war, but half a dozen remained in service as training ships on the Great Lakes in the 1960s, including HMCS Beaver (ML Q106), HMCS Cougar (ML Q104), HMCS Moose (ML Q111), HMCS Raccoon (ML Q079), HMCS Reindeer (ML Q116), and HMCS Wolf (ML Q062). A seventh, HMCS Elk (ML Q124) served on the west coast.  The animal names recalling those of the armed yachts whose duties the Fairmiles had taken over, were bestowed in 1954.

ML Q050

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q050 was delivered to the RCN on 18 Nov 1941. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jan & Apr 1944, Q050 was listed as part of the 71st ML Flotilla.  Her CO, Lt Beardmore, was listed as the SO 71st ML Flotilla on 10 Jan 1944.  After the war, Q050 was turned over to Marine Industries Limited, Montreal and became STANBA 1. She was later sold to Standard Oil of New Jersey.

ML Q051

 (Scott Wilson McMurdo Photo)

ML Q051 was delivered to the RCN on 24 Nov 1941.  Q051 was a  "B" Type ML.  In Feb 1944 and Jan 1945, Q051 was listed as part of the 77th ML Flotilla, St. John's, Newfoundland.   On 3 Mar 1944, Q051's CO, LCDR Thomason was listed as the SO for the 77th ML Flotilla.  After the Second World War Q051 was registered as Radel II (RAD- stood for Radio, and EL- stood for Electronics.  The National Research Council used former Q051 as research vessel.  She designed and tested Great Lakes freighter radar, the radar reflecting buoy system and was the first boat in the world to have underwater television.  Information about her experiments, remains classified.  She was later sold to Commander C. H. Hudson, Vancouver when she left government service.

ML Q052

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q052, delivered to the RCN on 31 Oct 1941.  Q052 served with the free French Navy of St. Pierre et Miquelon on the South Coast of Newfoundland from 15 Jan 1943 until the end of the war.  After the war, Q052 was sold to General J. C. Escobar, Montreal and was later renamed Cyrius and La Marie-Jo.

ML Q053

 (Gary Penelton Photo)

ML Q053 was delivered to the RCN on 17 Nov 1941. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jun 1943, ML 053 distinguished herself by recovering, intact, two mines of a barrage laid by U-119 in the Halifax approaches.  On 8 Jun 1943, Q053, following the minesweeper HMS Byms 989, at 1815hrs, she observed a floating mine.  A tow line 90 yards long was attached to the mine and the mine was towed to Ketch Harbour.  At 1930hrs the tow line was passed to a shore party and the mine was then hauled to the beach.  At this point Lt George Henry Olaf Rundle, RCNR, assisted by OS John Gordon Lancien, RCNVR, removed the cover plate, the wiring was cut, and the detonator removed.  At 2052hrs, once the mine was declared safe, the shore party returned and  removed the mine & detonator.  In Jan 1944, Q053 was listed as part of the 71st ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q053.

ML Q054

 (Marc-Andre Morin Photo)

ML Q054 was delivered to the RCN on 17 Oct 1941.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jan 1944, Q054 was listed as part of the 71st ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  This was the second Fairmile to terminate her naval service.  The last commanding officer left this one on 6 Dec 1944.  Q082 was first and Q108 was third.  The rest were terminated in the summer of 1945.

 (Jeffrey Read Photo)

ML Q054. 

ML Q055

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q055 was delivered to the RCN on 06 Nov 1941.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jan 1944 and Apr 1945, Q055 was listed as part of the 71st ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  She was sold in 1945.

ML Q056

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q056 was delivered to the RCN on 23 Nov 1941. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  Q055 was listed as part of the 71st ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Q056 was sold to Creole Petroleum Corporation, Venezuela in 1945 and renamed Esso Ayacucho.  She was broken up in 1957.

ML Q057

 (Don Gorham Photo)

Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 28 Oct 1941. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  Q057  was listed as part of the 71st ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  She was paid off on 5 Jun 1945 and sold in 1957.

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q057.

ML Q058

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q058.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 24 Nov 1941. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jan 1944, Q058 was listed as part of the 72nd ML Flotilla, Halifax M.L. Force.  After the war she was sold to private interests in Toronto and renamed Katherine G.  She destroyed in a fire in 1949.

ML Q059

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q059.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 26 May 1942.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels). In Jan 1945, Q059 was listed as part of the 72nd ML Flotilla, Halifax M.L. Force.  She was a "B" Type ML, Length: 112 ft, Beam: 17.9 ft, Draught: 4.9 ft, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: three 20-mm.  In 1946 she was sold to Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., New York and renamed Rodco.

ML Q060

 (Scott Wilson McMurdo Photo)

ML Q060.  Built by Hunter Boats, Orillia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 1 Nov 1941.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Feb 1944 and Jan 1945, Q060 was part of the 72nd ML Flotilla, Halifax M.L. Force.  Paid off on 20 Jun 1945, she was sold the same year to B. O. Bissette, St. John, Quebec.  The crew called ML Q060 the Mariposa Belle after a fictional Canadian town setting created by writer Stephen Leacock for a series of short stories.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950984)

ML Q060, off the coast of Newfoundland, 1944.

ML Q061

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q061.  Built by Hunter Boats, Orillia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 11 Nov 1941.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jan 1945, Q061 was listed as part of the 72nd ML Flotilla, Halifax M.L. Force.  Paid off on 19 Jun 1945, she was sold to Creole Petroleum Corp., Venezuela, and renamed Esso Concordia.

ML Q062

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q062.  Built by Mac-Craft Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 18 Apr 1942.  Q062 was a  "B" Type ML.  She served with the free French Navy out of St. Pierre et Miquelon (renamed Langlade V112) on the South Coast of Newfoundland from 15 Jan 1943, until the end of the war.  After the war she was sold to Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., New York.  Q062 was re-acquired by the navy and became HMCS Wolf  762 in 1954.  She was purchased by Orrville Gold in 1964 and was used as a break wall behind the Gold residence on the north shore of Lake Eire where it was destroyed by winter ice in the 1970s. 

 (Robbie Robertson Photo)

ML Q062, as HMCS Wolf 762 at Windsor, Ontario, with Detroit, Michigan in the background, ca. 1953.  HMCS Wolf was a tender to HMCS Hunter.

ML Q063

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q063.  Built at Mac-Craft Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 18 Apr 1942.  Q063 was a  "B" Type ML.  On 15 Jan 1943, she was transferred to the Free French Navy and renamed Columbier V113.  She served with the Free French Navy out of St. Pierre et Miquelon on the South Coast of Newfoundland until the end of the war.  After the war she was sold to General J.C. Escobar, Montreal and renamed Cumbrae II.  Her final disposition is unknown.

ML Q064

 (William (Bill) Carey and Jeff Tripp Photo)

ML Q064.  Built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding Co., J.H., Weymouth, NS, she was delivered to the RCN on 18 Apr 1942.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Mar 1943, Q064 rescued the flight crew of a Catalina flying boat that had crashed one mile offshore and was on fire.  In Mar 1944 and  Jan 1945, ML Q064 was part of the 72 ML Flotilla, Halifax M.L. Force.  On 6 Mar 1944, her CO, Lt Jarvis was listed as the SO of the 72 ML Flotilla.  In 1947, she was sold and renamed Six-Four.   She foundered in 1952.

 (E.A. Bollinger Photo)

ML Q064.

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q064.

ML Q065

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q065.  Built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding Co., J.H., Weymouth, NS, she was delivered to the RCN on 15 May 1942.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  Q065 was a "B" Type ML, Displacement 79 tons, Length: 112 ft, Beam, 17.9 ft, Draught: 4.9 ft, Speed: 20 kts, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: 3-20mm.  In Jan 1944 and Mar 1945, Q065 was listed as part of the 72nd ML Flotilla, Halifax M.L. Force.  She was sold in 1946 to Eric W. Phillips, Toronto and renamed the Audrey A and then Nadine II.  She caught fire in 1978 and was destroyed.

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q065.

ML Q066

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q066.  Built at Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd., she was delivered to the RCN on 6 Mar 1942.  Q066 was a "B" Type ML.  In Apr 1943 and Jan 1944 Q066 was listed as part of the 75th ML Flotilla, British Columbia.  Sold after the war to Finning Tractor & Equipment Company, Vancouver, she was renamed Earlmar.  No longer on registers in 2010, her final disposition is unknown.

ML Q067

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q067.  Built by Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd., she was delivered to the RCN on 27 Mar 1942.  Q067was a "B" Type ML. In Jan 1944 and Mar 1945, Q067 was listed as part of the 75th ML Flotilla, British Columbia.  Sold in 1946 to Coal Island Limited, Vancouver, she was renamed Stranger II.  In 1966 she was destroyed by fire.

ML Q068

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q068.  Built at A.C. Benson Shipyard, Vancouver, B.C., she was delivered to the RCN on 07 Aug 1942.  Q068 was a "B" Type ML.  Sold in 1956 to Straits Towing & Salvage Company, Vancouver, Q068 was renamed many times as Marine Freight No. 1, Miss Linda, Salvor, Sechelt Narrows and ST & S.

ML Q069

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q069.  Built by A.C. Benson Shipyard, Vancouver, B.C., she was delivered to the RCN on 28 Mar 1942.  She was a "B" Type ML.  In Jan 1944, Q069 was listed as part of the 76 ML Flotilla, British Columbia.  Sold in 1946 to Willard G. Weston, Vancouver, she was renamed Casa Mila and later Harwood.  She foundered in a hurricane in 1978.

ML Q070

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q070.  Built at Star Shipyards (Mercer's) Ltd., New Westminster, BC, she was delivered to the RCN on 19 Mar 1942.  She was a "B" Type ML.  In Jan 1944, Q070 was listed part of the 75th ML Flotilla, British Columbia.  Sold in 1945 to Marine Manufacturing Ltd., Vancouver, she was renamed many times as Coast Ranger, Gulf Ranger, Lachaina Lady, Machigonne, Noble Lady and Saracen III.

 (John Renforth Photo)

ML Q070.

ML Q071

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q071.  Built at Star Shipyards (Mercer's) Ltd., New Westminster, B.C., she was delivered to the RCN on 15 Apr 1942.  Q071 was a "B" Type ML.  In Jan 1944, Q071 was listed as part of the 75th ML Flotilla, British Columbia.  Paid off on 11 Jul 1945, she was sold in 1946 to Gulf Lines Ltd., Vancouver.  She was renamed Gulf Wing, later Troubadour III, Nimpkish Princess, Northland Princess, Kona Winds, Knight Time II and Troubadour III.

ML Q072

   (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q072.  Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 24 Nov 1941. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Apr 1944 and Mar 1945, Q072 was listed as part of the 73rd Ml Flotilla, Saint John, NB.  In Oct 1944, she had an explosion in her engine room.  She was repaired and then later sold in 1945 to Acme Boat and Salvage Company, New York, USA.

 (David Jamieson Photo)

ML Q072. 

ML Q073 

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q073.  Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 24 Nov 1941. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Feb 1944 and Mar 1945, Q073 was listed a part of the 73rd FL Flotilla, Saint John, NB.  She was sold in 1945 to ACME Boat and Salvage Company, New York, USA.

ML Q074

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q074.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 26 May 1942.  Q074 was a "B" Type ML.  In Jun 1944 and Jan 1945, Q074 was listed as part of the 77 ML Flotilla, St. Newfoundland.  Paid off on 1 Jul 1945, she was sold later that year to George B. Burchell, Sydney, Nova Scotia, and renamed Aloma III.

ML Q075

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q075.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 22 Jun 1942.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  Q075 was a "B" Type ML, Displacement: 79 tons, Length: 112 ft, Beam: 17.9 ft, Draught: 4.9 ft, Speed: 20 kts, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: 3-20mm.  In Jan 1944 and 1945, Q075 was listed as part of the 73rd ML Flotilla, Saint John, NB.  After the war she was sold to ACME Boat and Salvage Company, New York, USA.

ML Q076

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q076.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 13 Jul 1942. She was a type "B" ML.  In Feb 1944 and Mar 1945, Q076 was listed as part of the 73rd ML Flotilla, Saint John, NB.  Sold in 1945 to ACME Boat and Salvage Company, New York, USA., her final disposition is unknown.

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q076.

ML Q077

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q077.  Built by Greavette Boats Ltd., Gravenhurst, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 02 Jun 1942. Q077 was a "B" Type ML In Jan 1944 and Feb 1945, Q077 was listed a part of the 73rd ML Flotilla, Saint John, NB.  Sold in 1947 to Consolidated Shipping Corp., Sorel, Quebec, she was renamed Coastal Queen.

ML Q078

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q078.  Built by Graevette Boats Ltd., Gravenhurst, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 2 Jun 1942.  In Feb 1945, Q078 was listed a part of the 73rd ML Flotilla, Saint John, NB.  Sold in 1945 to George Elie Transport Tanker Company, Montreal, she was renamed Esso Cardinal.  Her final disposition is unknown.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3238928)

Sailors playing cards aboard the Fairmile Motor Launch ML Q078 of the RCN, St. John's, Newfoundland, 10 June 1943.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3575335)

Signaler aboard the Fairmile Motor Launch ML Q078 at sea, 10 May 1943.

ML Q079

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q079.  Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 27 May 1942.  Q079 was a "B" Type ML. In Apr 1945, Q079 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  She was sold 24 Oct 1945 by WAC to James L. Gillanders, Toronto and then in 1946 to Herbert E. Corbett, mining engineer, Oakville, Ontario, where she was renamed Lady Enit and Nancy Grace.  Re-acquired by the RCN on 19 May 1949, she became PTC 779 and then later HMCS Raccoon 1954, international call sign CYQT, pendant 779 and radiotelephone “Incident M”.  Her final disposition is unknown.

ML Q080

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q080.  Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 17 Jun 1942.  Q080 was a "B" Type ML . In Apr 1944 and 1945, Q080 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla,  Halifax L.D. Force.  She was sold in 1945 to to United Boat Service Corp., New York, USA, and re-named Quarterdeck, later Almeta Queen, and Cosa Grande.  She was found abandoned 2007.

 (Harold Moore Photo)

ML Q080.

ML Q081

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q081.  Built by Honey Harbour Nav Co. Ltd., Midland, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 17 May 27 1942.  Q081 was a "B" Type ML.  In Mar 1944, Q081 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Her CO, Lt Stairs was listed as the SO of the 79th ML Flotilla in Apr 1944.  Removed from service on 21 Jun 1945, she was sold in 1947 to Louis Levin, Montreal, Quebec.  Renamed Esso Taparita, she was destroyed by fire in 1948.

ML Q082

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q082.  Built by Honey Harbour Nav. Co. Ltd., Midland, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 27 May 1942.  Q082 was a "B" Type ML.  In Jan & Mar 1944, Q082 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  She was removed from service after having caught fire in 1944.

 (Ross Craik Photo)

ML Q082, pushed ashore in a December storm, aground on Prince Edward Island, Dec 1942.

ML Q083

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q083.  Built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding Co., J.H., Weymouth, NS, she was delivered to the RCN on 25 May 1942. Q083 was a "B" Type ML. In Apr 1944,  Q083 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  She was sold in 1945 to Lorne Johnson, Montague, Prince Edward Island  and renamed Lazy Mariner.

 (Robyn Barker Photo)

ML Q083. 

ML Q084

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, PA 134191)

ML Q084.  Built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding Co. J.H., Weymouth, N.S., she was delivered to the RCN on 18 Jun 1942.  Q084 was a Type "B" ML.  In Jan 1944, Q084 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  She was sold in 1946 to R. E. Gamble, Toronto and was renamed Nelvana.

ML Q085

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q085.  Built by Hunter Boats, Orillia, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 13 Jun 1942.  Q085 was a "B" Type ML. In Mar 1944 and May 1945, Q085 was listed as part of the 79th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  She was sold in 1951 to United Boat Service Corp., New York, USA, and renamed Suzette No. 1.

ML Q086

 (Assiginack Museum Photo)

ML Q086.  Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 26 Oct 1942.  In Apr 1944 and Mar 1945, Q086 was listed as part of the 76th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Sold in 1946 to K.U. Gamble, Toronto, she was re-named Montery.

ML Q087.  Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 9 Nov 1942.  In Jan 1944 and Feb 1945, Q087 was part of the 76th Ml Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Sold in 1948 to J.R. Trembly, Toronto, she was renamed Tzigane and Chief Tek8erimat.

ML Q088

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q088.  Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 5 Oct 1943.  Q088 was a "B" Type ML.  In Feb 1945, Q088 was listed as part of the 77th ML Flotilla, St. Johns, Newfoundland.  irst CO served from 19 May 1943, and the last departed on 25 Jun 1945.  After the war Q088 was sold to W. F. Christie, Toronto and was renamed Eighty-Eight, Penetang Eighty-Eight, Midland Penetang Eighty-Eight and Olympia III.   Reported burned.

ML Q089

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q089.  Built by Greavette Boats Ltd., Gravenhurst, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 14 Oct 1942.  In Jan 1944 and Mar 1945, Q089 was listed as part of the 76th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Sold in 1949 to Northern Engineering and Supply Company, Fort William, Ontario, she was renamed Coastal Queen, and later Grand Commander and Corniche.

ML Q090

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q090.  Built by Greavette Boats Ltd., Gravenhurst, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 19 Nov 1942.  In May 1944 and Jan 1945, Q090 was listed as part of the 78th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  She was sold in 1945 to Brian Newkirk in Toronto and renamed Louvicourt and Rosal.

ML Q091

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q091.  Built by Greavette Boats Ltd., Gravenhurst, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 17 May 1943.  Q091 was a "B" Type ML. In Jan 1944, Q091 was listed as part of the 77th ML Flotilla, St. Johns, Newfoundland.  Sold in 1946 to Wendel Graham, PEI, and re-named Nine-One.

ML Q092

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q092.  Built by Hunter Boats, Orillia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 1 Nov 1942.  In Feb 1944 and Jan 1945, Q092 was listed a part of the 77th ML Flotilla, St. Johns, Newfoundland.  Sold in 1947 possibly to Radium Chemicals of Vancouver and re-named Suzette No. 1.

ML Q093

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q093.  Built by Hunter Boats, Orilla, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 2 Nov 1942.  In Jan 1944 and Apr 1945, Q093 was listed as part of the 76th Ml Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Sold in 1945, her final disposition is unknown.

ML Q094

 (Paul Van Tighem Photo)

ML Q094.  Built by Midland Boat Works, Midland, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 19 Nov 1942.  In Feb 1944 and Feb 1945, Q094 was listed a part of the 77th ML Flotilla, St. Johns, Newfoundland.  She was sold in 1945 to G. A. Griffen, PEI, and renamed Ernest G.  On 13 Aug 1948, Ernest G. caught fire, beached and became a total loss at North Sydney, Nova Scotia.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950983)

ML Q094, bow Oerlikon 20-mm AA Gun, off the coast of Newfoundland, 1944.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950982)

ML Q094, off the coast of Newfoundland, 1944.

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q094.

ML Q095

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, PA 141636)

ML Q095 escorting U-190, May 1945.  Built by Midland Boat Works, Midland, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 12 May 1943.  Q095 was a "B" Type ML. In Feb 1944 & 1945, Q095 was listed a part of the 76th ML Flotilla. In Feb 1944, her CO, Lt Williams, was SO of the 76th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Paid off on 1 Jul 1945, she was sold later that year to Rudolphe Corbeil and was re-named renamed Rodco.  She operated out of West Pubnico, Nova Scotia and was used to haul lobsters from Western Nova Scotia to Rockland, Maine.

ML Q096

 (Anthony Sharp Photo)

ML Q096.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 9 Nov 1942. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Apr 1945, Q096 was listed as part of the 76th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Removed from service on 30 Jun 1945, she was later sold for civilian use. 

 (Anthony Sharp Photo)

ML Q096. 

ML Q097

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q097.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 9 Nov 1942.  In Jan 1944, Q097 was listed as part of the 76th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Sold in 1945 to Gen Escobar, but as a re-sale when the boat returned to M.I.L Industries.

ML Q098

 (Martime Museum of the Great Lakes Photo)

ML Q098.  Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 7 Nov1942.  In Jan 1944, Q098 was listed as part of the 76th ML Flotilla, Halifax L.D. Force.  Sold to Irene Sicard of Montreal, she was renamed Corite then Bic.  In Jun 1947, former Q098 was purchased by the Navire école de l’Institut maritime du Québec, fully equipped with radio, radar, sonar in interior communications equipment, for $25,000.  On 28 Oct 1948 she was renamed Saint-Barnabé.  She served the marine training school until Dec 1958.  Her disposition after 1958 is unknown.

ML Q099

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q099.  Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 7 Nov 1942.  Q099 was a "B" Type ML. In Feb 1944 and Mar 1945, Q099 was listed as part of the 77th ML Flotilla, St. Johns, Newfoundland.  Sold in 1948 to Joe Dunkleman, Tip-Top Tailors of Toronto, she was renamed Dipedon and later Donarvie II.

ML Q100

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q100.  Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 7 Nov 1942.  In Jan 1945, Q100 was part of the 78th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  On 8 Apr 1945, Q100's CO, Lt Dobson was listed as SO of the 78th ML Flotilla.  She was sold in 1945 to Francis Farwell, Hamilton, Ontario.

ML Q101.  Built by Mac-Craft Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 7 Nov 1942.  In Jan & Feb 1945, Q101 was listed as part of the 78th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  She was sold in 1945 to Great Lakes Lumber and Shipping Company, Fort William, Ontario and was renamed Edmar and later Nellie D.

ML Q102

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q102.  Built by Mac-Craft Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 18 Nov 1942.  In Jul 1944 and Jan 1945, Q102 was part of the 77th ML Flotilla, St. Johns, Newfoundland.  Sold in 1945 to Francis Farwell, Hamilton, Ontario she was renamed Quetzal, later Curlew, Salissa M, Moondance, and Enterprise II.

ML Q103

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q103.  Built by Mac-Craft Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 18 Nov 1942.  In Jan and Jul 1944, Q103 was part of the 78th Ml Flotilla, Bermuda.  She was sold in 1947 to C.M. Weegar, Penetang, Ontario, and renamed One-O-Three, later Lady Simone.  She was eventually scrapped.

ML Q104

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q104 was delivered to the RCN on 4 Aug 1943.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).   In Feb 1944 and Feb 1945, Q104 was listed as part of the 70th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  In Apr 1944, her CO, Lt McLaughlin, was the SO of the 70th ML Flotilla.  In Feb 1945, her CO, Lt Galway, was the SO of the 70th ML Flotilla.  Q 104 was removed from service in 1945.  On 15 Sep 1945, three Fairmiles (Q104, Q105 and Q107) were towed by the ships Glencove and Glenora to Rimouski for the Arts and Trades School.  Q104 was then loaned to Quebec Provincial Government.  Re-acquired by the navy she became HMCS Cougar in 1954, international call sign CYXC, pendant 704 and radiotelephone  “Disband Z".  In Jan 1956 she was transferred to HMCS Star, Hamilton, Ontario as a “tender” and paid off on 4 Nov 1956. Ca. 1957, she was moved by land to the Dundas Branch of the Navy League for their Sea Cadets as “club house” (at the Desjardins Canal, north side of Hamilton Harbour), RCSCC Dundas Sea Cadets.  She was scrapped there in the late 70s.

ML Q105

 (DND Photo)

ML Q105 was built by Mac-Craft Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario, and delivered to the RCN on 5 Sep 1943.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  Q105 was listed as part of the 70th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  After the war Q105 was loaned to Quebec Provincial Government, then sold privately and renamed Duc d'OrleansDuc D'Orleans was reportedly in Sarnia, Ontario, undergoing conversion to her former wartime configuration as ML Q105.

ML Q106

 (Claude Décarie Photo)

ML Q106.  Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 28 Aug 1943.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Jun 1944 and Jan 1945, she served with the 70th Flotilla in Bermuda during the war.  Sold in 1945, she was re-acquired by the RCN and re-entered service as PTC 706.  On 28 June 1948, she was assigned to HMCS Star but suffered a serious fire in July of 1949 that required costly repairs.  On 18 May 1954, PTC 706 was commissioned as HMCS Beaver and she remained in service until b May of 1956, she was transferred to HMCS York but was declared surplus on 13 Nov 1957 as a result of dry rot.  She was laid up at the Hamilton Harbour Commission and by 1961 was reported to be in ruins.

 (Claude Décarie Photo)

ML Q106. 

 (Claude Décarie Photo)

ML Q106.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3524493)

ML 106, HMCS Beaver PTC706.

ML Q107

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q107 was built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ontario and delivered to the RCN on 11 Sep 1943.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  Q107 was listed as part of the 70th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  On 15 Sep 1945, three Fairmiles (Q 104, Q 105 and Q 107) were towed by the ships Glencove and Glenora to Rimouski for the Arts and Trades School.  Q107 was later sold and renamed Miss Chevrolet, later Lady Latour.  She was destroyed by fire in 1951.

ML Q108

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q108.  Built by Midland Boat Works, Midland, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 13 Aug 1943. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Feb 1945, Q108 was listed as part of the 70th ML Flotilla in Bermuda.  Sold in 1945 to Radium Chemical Company Limited, Vancouver, and was renamed Machigonne II.  This was the third Fairmile to terminate her war service.  Her CO left on 19 Dec 1944.

ML Q109

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q109.  Built by Hunter Boats, Orillia, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 23 Aug 1943.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  Q109 was listed as part of the 70th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  Sold in 1948 to Francis Farwell, Hamilton, Ontario, she was re-named Quetzal II, Arara and Aruba.

ML Q110

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q110.  Built by Minett-Shields, Bracebridge, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 8 Jul 1943.  In Jun 1944 and Feb 1945, Q110 was listed as part of the 78th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  She was sold in 1949 to Louis Levin, Montreal and renamed Roseline, Miss Kingston, Saint-Louis IV and La Santa Maria IV.

ML Q111

 (André Guévremont Photo)

ML Q111.  Built by LeBlanc Ship Building Co., J.H., Weymouth, NS, she was delivered to the RCN on 9 Sep1943.  In Apr 1944 and Feb 1945, Q111 was listed a part of the 78th ML Flotilla, Bermuda.  She was sold in 1945 to Gibson Mills Ltd, Vancouver.  She was re-acquired by the RCN and renamed PTC 711, later HMCS Moose in 1954.  She was sold in 1956.

ML Q112

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q112.  Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 25 Oct 1943. While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Feb 1944 and Jan 1945, Q112 was listed as part of the 82nd ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  Q112 is believed to have rescued some of the survivors from the British tanker Athel Viking, a part of Convoy BX-141 January 1945.  After the war Q112 became RCMP vessel Fort Walsh.  International call sign CGMR and pendant MP33.  In Sep 1958, the Fort Walsh was caught in a hurricane of fNova Scotia.   The Captain ran her aground on the sore of Scatterie Island rather than have her sink.  His crew were able to get ashore and shelter in the light house till the storm passed.  Fort Walsh remained on the rocks, and was slowly broken down by the sea.

 (Don Gorham Photo)

RCMP Vessel Fort Walsh MP33 (former ML Q112).

ML Q113.  Built by Taylor and Sons, J.J., Toronto, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 20 Nov 1943.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  In Mar 1944 and 1945, Q113 was listed as part of the 82 ML Flotilla, Shelburne, Nova Scotia.  She was sold after the war to La Co-operative Transport, Isle de la Madeleine, Quebec  and renamed Laverniere.  She sank in 1947.

ML Q114

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q114.  Built by Greavette Boats Ltd., Gravenhurst, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 20 Nov 1943.  In Mar 1944 and Jan 1945, Q114 was listed as part of the 82nd ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  After the war Q114 was transferred to and became RCMP vessel Fort Selkirk but was never commissioned.  She was sold to H. P. Leask and Roy Pyke, Halifax, Nova Scotia and renamed Amy Mae.  Later purchased by George Drew in Clark’s Harbour, Nova Scotia; he used her to haul lobsters out of Western Nova Scotia over to Rockland, Maine.  The Amy May was destroyed by fire in 1955.

 (Don Gorham Photo)

Former ML Q114, RCMP Vessel Fort Selkirk MP31.

ML Q115

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q115.  Built by Mac-Craft Ltd., Sarnia, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 16 Nov 1943.  In Feb 1944 and Mar 1945, Q115 was listed as part of the 82nd ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  She was sold in 1945 to the Upper Lakes and St. Lawrence Transportation Company, Toronto, and renamed Nelvana, later Outre Mer.

ML Q116

 (Linda Carleton Photo)

ML Q116 was launched on 25 Sep 1943.  She caught fire during construction.  She was finished but the delivery date is unknown.  In Apr 1944 and Mar 1945 Q116 was listed as part of the 82nd ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  On 4 Jan 1945, U-1232, commanded by Kapt. Kurt Dobratz, attacked convoy SH0194 off (what is today) the Egg Island bell buoy.  After torpedoing several ships, the convoy's escort, aided by ships from Halifax, including HMCS Burlington and Q116, searched for the U-boat.  During the search, HMCS Burlington and ML Q116 collided - holing the Burlington's hull and severely damaging Q116s bow.  She was paid off in June 1945.  Re-acquired by the RCN n 1949, she was recommissioned as PT716.  In 1954 she was renamed HMCS Reindeer 716.  She burned in 1957.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4938638)

ML Q116 as HMCS Reindeer 716, Hamilton, Ontario, 23 April 1953.

ML Q117

ML Q117.  Built by Grew Boats Ltd., Penetanguishene, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 16 Nov 1943.In Jan 1944, Q117 was listed as part of the 82nd ML Flotilla,  Shelburne, NS.  Transferred to the RCMP in 1946, she was renamed Fort Steele.  Never commissioned, she was sold in 1946 and renamed Nakomis, later Supertrader, Polar Clipper.

 (Gary Penelton Photo)

ML Q117.  Looking aft.

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q117.

ML Q118

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q118.  Built by Midland Boat Works, Midland, Ontario, she was delivered to the RCN on 6 Nov 1943 . In Jan 1944, Q118 was listed a part of the 82nd ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  She was sold in 1945 to Frances Farwell, Hamilton, Ontario, and renamed Franliss III.

ML Q119

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q119.  Built by Minett-Shields Ltd., Bracebridge, Ont., she was delivered to the RCN on 16 Nov 1943. In Mar 1944 & 1945, Q119 was listed as part of the 82 ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  After the war Q119 was transferred to the RCMP and became Fort Pitt MP 30, RCMP Ottawa.  International call sign CGMM until 1959.  Paid off and sold in 1959 she was renamed Sondra II.  As of 2012 she was still is use.

ML Q120

 (DND Photo)

ML Q120.  Built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding History, J.H., Weymouth, NS, she was delivered to the RCN on 27 Jan 1944.  Q120 was a "B" Type ML. In Jan 1944, Q120 was part of the 82nd ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  In Jan 1945, her CO, A/LCdr John Maxwell Todd was SO of the 82nd ML Flotilla.  Sold in 1945 to Upper Lakes and St. Lawrence Transportation Company, Toronto, she was renamed Nelvana II, later Osceola, The Lady Galadriel, and Independence.  In 1986 the state of Maryland bought her and renamed her Maryland Independence.  While owned by the state, she was powered by twin 260 HP Volvo diesel engines and had a cruising speed of twelve knots.  She was operated and maintained by three full-time and one part-time personnel.  She had a carrying capacity of 35 passengers and could accommodate 70 passengers while dockside.  The vessel also had 3 guest staterooms, main and dining salons, 2 guest heads, galley, crew quarters, sundeck and flybridge.  She was the sailing ambassador for the state of Maryland.  On 11 Dec 2003, the State of Maryland sold her on E-Bay for $275,000 to Paul W. Davies of Hagerstown, Maryland, who purchased her for recreation use.  He owned her until October 2006, when John Mabry III and Timothy Dauses purchased her.

 (Bruce McCullogh Photo)

ML Q120.

ML Q121

 (The Crowsnest Magazine Photo)

ML Q121 escorting U-889 into Shelburne, NS.  Built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding Co. J.H., Weymouth, NS, ML Q121 was delivered to the RCN on 17 Apr 1944.  She was a "B" Type ML.  In Apr 1944 Q121 was listed as part of the 82 ML Flotilla, Shelburne, NS.  Retained after the war she was renamed PTC 721 in Jun 1948.  She was intended to be transferred to HMCS Cataraqui, but was removed from service in 1950 and sold in 1953 becoming Inshore Fisherman and later Denis D.  She was scrapped in 1972 or soon there after.

 (Kevin Joynt Photo)

ML Q121.

 (Sam Seright Photo)

ML Q121, 5 Sep 1945.

 (The Maritime Museum of the Great Lakes Photo)

ML Q121 as PTC 721, Brockville, Ontario, ca 1948-50.

ML Q122.  Built by Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., she was delivered to the RCN on 17 May 1944.  Q091 was a "B" Type ML.  Sold in 1945 to Hamiltair Limited, Vancouver she was renamed Malibu Tyee, later Nancy N. Seymour, and Sogno d'Oro.

ML Q123.  Built by Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., she was delivered to the RCN on 5 Jun 1944.  Q123 was a Type "B" ML.  Sold in 1945 to Hamiltair Limited, Vancouver, she was renamed Malibou Marlin and later Toluca.

ML Q124

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q124.  Built by Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., she was delivered to the RCN on 30 June 1944. W  Q124 was a Type "B" ML.  Paid off in 1945, she was re-acquired by the RCN and in 1954 renamed HMCS Elk.  On 8 June 1948 she became HMC ML124, call sign CZDL. She became HMCS Elk in 1954, based on the West Coast with international call sign CZDL, pendant 724 and radiotelephone “Catapult A”.  HMCS Elk was discarded in 1956.  She was the only post Second World War Fairmile ML to serve on the West Coast.  Removed from service and sold in 1956, she became Teirrah in 1962, and later Pacific Gold in 1965.  In 1997 she was sold to Greek owned "Zeus Cruises" and renamed Zeus II.   Zeus Cruises, later renamed "Variety Cruises" has confirmed that the Zeus II was broken up several years ago.  Zeus II was last noted on a travel website in 2012.

 (Joseph Robert Photo)

ML Q124 as PTC724.

 (Brian Dobing Photo)

ML Q124 as PTC724.

 (Brian Dobing Photo)

ML Q124 as PTC724.

 (Brian Dobing Photo)

ML Q124 as PTC724.

 (Brian Dobing Photo)

ML Q124 as HMCS Elk at Pender Harbour, Dec 1954.

ML Q125

 (Ron Gorham Photo)

ML Q125.  Built by Star Shipyards (Mercer's) Ltd., New Westminster, BC, she was delivered to the RCN on 22 Jul 1944.  Q125 was a "B" Type ML.  She was sold in 1945 to Hamiltair Ltd., Vancouver, and renamed Malibu Tillikum, later Yorkeen, Campana, Jornholm, and Gulf Stream II.  In October of 2016, Gulf Stream II was in danger of sinking in Porpoise Bay, BC.  She was pumped out and saved..  In November of 2017, she is once again in danger of sinking and had to be rescued. 

ML Q126

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q126.  Built by Star Shipyards (Mercer's) Ltd., New Westminster, BC, she was delivered to the RCN on 8 Jul 1944.  She was sold in 1945 to Hamiltair Ltd., Vancouver, and renamed Princess Malibou.

ML Q127

 (Kathy Cullen Photo)

ML Q127.  Built by Star Shipyards (Mercer's) Ltd., New Westminster, BC, she was delivered to the RCN on 27 Sep 1944.  She was sold in 1945 to Hamiltair Ltd., Vancouver, and renamed Chief Malibu.  The Chief Malibu sank at Princess Louisa Inlet, British Columbia in 1952.

ML Q128

 (Don Gorham Photo)

ML Q128.  Built by A.C. Benson Shipyard, Vancouver, BC, she was delivered to the RN on 4 Jul 1944.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  She was a "B" Type ML, Displacement: 79 tons, Length: 112 ft, Beam: 17 ft, Draught: 4.9 ft, Speed: 22 kts, Complement: 3 officers, 14 men, Armament: three 20-mm AA guns.  She was sold in 1945 to Hamiltair Ltd., Vancouver and renamed Princess Louise Inlet.  She burned and sank in Pendreel Sound, BC on 18 Dec 1955.

ML Q129.  Built by A.C. Benson Shipyard, Vancouver, BC, she was delivered to the RCN on 16 Oct 1944.  While she flew the White Ensign, she was not commissioned into the RCN but instead was listed as a tender to HMCS Sambro, the depot ship for escorts (tenders were not commissioned vessels).  She was sold in 1945 to Hamiltair Ltd., Vancouver, and renamed Malibu Inez, later Huntress, Viking, and Island Adventures.

 (IWM Photo, A 25162)

Fairmile Motor Launch (Type D) armed with a Molins autoloader and a 6-pounder 7-cwt gun Mk. IIA in a power operated Mk. VII mounting, and crew.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4166338)

Fairmile Motor Launches, NW Europe, damaged harbour, ca 1945.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950978)

Fairmile Motor Lanches, some from the 65th Canadian MTB Flotilla, Great Yarmouth, UK ca. 1945.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950863)

Fairmile Motor Launch, with an RCN Rating using a Signal lamp, 1943.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3194301)

RN ML 230 loading landing craft for the raid on Dieppe, Aug 1942.