Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) 1910-1939, Patrol Ships, Armed Yachts and Sloops

Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) 1910–1939,

Patrol Ships, Armed Yachts and Sloops,

Data currrent to 1 July 2019.

Dominion Government Hydrographic Survey ships converted to Patrol Boats

HMCS Acadia (converted from civilian use); HMCS Cartier/Charny (converted from civilian use)

HMCS Acadia

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Acadia, ca 1944.  She was a Dominion government hydrographic survey ship commissioned as a patrol vessel from 16 Jan 1917 to March 1919.  She carried out anti-submarine patrols in the Bay of Fundy as well as off the south shore of Nova Scotia and in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.  She then resumed survey duty until the outbreak of the Second World War when she was again commissioned on 2 Oct 1939, initially serving as a training ship for HMCS Stadacona, then later patrolling the Halifax approaches from May 1940 to March 1941.  She served as a training ship at Halifax for anti-aircraft gunners, and as a Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship (DEMS).  In June 1944 whe went to HMCS Cornwallis as a gunnery training ship.  She was paid off on 3 Nov 1945 and returned to the Dominion government.  She was retired from service on 28 Nov 1969 and today serves as a museum ship at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax harbour.

 (Author Photo)

HMCS Acadia preserved in Halifax.

HMCS Cartier

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566768)

HMCS Cartier, 25 Oct 1940.  A Dominion government hydrographic survey ship, HMCS Cartier served as an armed patrol vessel on the east coast during the First World War.  She reverted back to government service between the wars, but was recommisioned as a training ship at Halifax on 18 Sep 1939.  She was renamed HMCS Charny on 9 Dec 1941.She was paid off on 12 Dec 1945.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Cartier.

Minesweepers

HMCS Constance (converted from civilian use); HMCS Curlew (converted from civilian use); HMCS Petrel (converted from civilian use)

HMCS Constance

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, PA191938)

HMCS Constance.  She was a commissioned minesweeper of the Royal Canadian Navy during the First World War.  Originally built as a fisheries cruiser for the Department of Marine and Fisheries, upon completion she was transferred to the Department of Customs, and was used by the Customs Preventive Service.  Along with sister ships CGS Curlew, and CGS Petrel, HMCS Constance was fitted with mine sweeping gear in 1912.  All three vessels were taken into naval service after the outbreak of war in 1914, and were used for patrol or examination duties.  After the war, HMCS Constance was sold for commercial use.  Remaining in service until the early 1930s, she was chartered by the Customs Preventive Service in 1928-29.

HMCS Curlew

 (RCN Photo, MC-10009)

HMCS Curlew.

HMCS Petrel

(DND Photo)

HMCS Petrel.  A sister ship to HMCS Curlew and HMCS Constance, HMCS Petrel was built as a fishery patrol vessel at Owen Sound in 1892, but did not see salt water until 1905.  Between 1914 and 1918 she was employed frequently as a patrol or examination vessel on the east coast though with a maximum speed of 7 knots, her ability to pursue ships that did not obey a request to stop was limited.  After the war she reverted briefly to her fishery patrol duties before being sold in 1923.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Petrel

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Petrel

Patrol boats

HMCS Canada (converted from civilian use); HMCS Florence (converted from civilian use); HMCS Galiano (converted from civilian use); HMCS Grilse (converted from civilian use); HMCS Gulnare (converted from civilian use); HMCS Hochelaga (converted from civilian use); HMCS Lady Evelyn (converted from civilian use); HMCS Laurentian (converted from civilian use); HMCS Malaspina (converted from civilian use); HMCS Margaret (converted from civilian use); HMCS Newington (converted from civilian use); HMCS Restless (converted from civilian use); HMCS Stadacona (converted from civilian use)

HMCS Canada.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Canada (converted from civilian use).

CGS Canada was a patrol vessel, sometimes referred to as a cruiser in the Fisheries Protection Service of Canada, an enforcement agency that was part of the Department of Marine and Fisheries.  Canada is considered to be the nucleus of the RCN for her role in training Canadian naval officers and asserting Canadian sovereignty.  Canada saw service in the First World War and was commissioned into the Royal Canadian Navy as HMCS Canada in 1915.  She underwent a refit to become a naval patrol ship which saw her forecastle raised and the Maxim guns for fisheries patrol use were replaced with two 12-pounder and two 3-pounder naval guns.  She served on the Atlantic coast.  HMCS Canada was decommissioned from the RCN in Nov 1919 and she resumed her former civilian fisheries patrol duties as CGS Canada before being retired from government service in 1920.  She was sold for commercial use and renamed MV Queen of Nassau.  On the verge of being sold again, the ship sank in the Straits of Florida on 2 July 1926.

 (Bud (Donald) Rose Photo)

HMCS Canada, St. Johns, Newfoundland, ca 1918.

HMCS Florence

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Florence.  Built by Crescent Shipyard, she was originally named Czarina, then later Emeline.  In 1910, she was bought by John Eaton, who brought her to Toronto.  He presented Florence to the RCN, which commissioned her on 19 Jul 1915, and for most of the ensuring year she served as guard ship at Saint John, NB, and patrol vessel in the Bay of Fundy.  However, she proved to be unsuitable and was paid off in Aug 1916.  Later that year Florence was sold to buyers in Martinique and is said to have been lost in the Caribbean in Jan 1917.  Her specifications on commissioning were: Displacement: 257 tons: Length: 144 feet, Beam: 22.5 feet; Draught: 7.5 feet; Speed: 12 knots; Armament: One 3-pounder. 

HMCS Galiano

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Galiano.  Canadian fisheries patrol vessel CGS Galiano.  Converted from civilian use, she served during the First World War as HMCS Galiano and was lost in October 1918.

HMCS Grilse

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Grilse (converted from civilian use), commissioned patrol boat of the Royal Canadian Navy during the First World War, shown here in 1916.

HMCS Gulnare

 (RCN Photo, B-011786)

HMCS Gulnare (converted from civilian use), alongside HMCS Loos, 20 Sep 1937.  Gulnare was purchased by the Canadian government in 1902 for fishery protection work.  From 1918 to 1919 she served as a contraband control vessel on the east coast, returning after the war to government duties which included hydrographic survey.  She was sold to Marine Industries Ltd. about 1938, and broken up about 10 years later.

HMCS Hochelaga

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Hochelaga (converted from civilian use).  Originally an armed yacht formerly named Waturus, HMCS Hochelaga was purchased in the US in 1914.  She served as a patrol vessel from 13 Aug 1915 to 1920, and from then until 1923 took up coastguard duties.  On 25 Aug 1918, HMCS Hochelaga sighted U-156 on the surface off Halifax, but instead of attacking, in accordance with standing orders, retired towards the rest of her patrol group for 'support'.  The submarine submerged and was not re-located.  HMCS Hochelaga's Commanding Officer was later court-martialled and dismissed from service.  This was the only occasion during the First World War that the RCN encountered a German U-boat.  After the war, she spent many years as a Pictou-Charlottetown ferry and was sold in 1942, to reappear briefly four years later when she was seized by the RN as an illegal Israeli immigrant ship.

HMCS Lady Evelyn 

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Lady Evelyn (converted from civilian use).  Built by Tranmere, UK for a Blackpool firm and originally named Deerhound, she was acquired and renamed by the Postmaster-General's department in 1907.  Lady Evelyn's new function was to meet transatlantic mail steamers in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and take off the mail for transfer to trains.  She was commissioned HMCS Lady Evelyn in the RCN as a patrol vessel from Jun 1917 to 1919, and survived in commercial service on the west coast until shortly before the Second World War.  Her armament was one 12-pounder gun.  The Howe Sound Navigation Co. brought the screw steamer Lady Evelyn a former Canadian mail packet on the St. Lawrence, to Vancouver in 1921 for operation with Brittania.  In 1923 she was bought by the Union Steamship Company of British Columbia and remained with them until 1936, when she was scrapped.

HMCS Laurentian

(RCN Photo)

HMCS Laurentian (converted from civilian use).  Built by Cook, Welton and Gemmell, Beverley, UK, initially named King Edward, she was acquired in 1911 by Canada Steamship Lines and renamed Laurentian.  She was sold to the RCN six years later and served as a patrol vessel from May 1917 to Jan 1919.  She was later transferred to the Department of Marine and Fisheries, serving as a lighthouse supply ship and buoy tender until sold for scrap in 1947.

HMCS Malaspina 

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Malaspina (converted from civilian use).  The Canadian government ship GCS Malaspina served with the Royal Canadian Navy during the First and Second World Wars as HMCS Malaspina.  During the Second World War she served as an examination vessel and training vessel.  HMCS Malaspina was serving as a tender to HMCS Royal Roads when she was paid off in 1946.

 (Vancouver City Archives Photo)

HMCS Malaspina (converted from civilian use).

 (Vancouver City Archives Photo)

HMCS Malaspina (converted from civilian use).

HMCS Margaret 

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Margaret (converted from civilian use).  CGS Margaret was a Canadian Government Ship, and was the first vessel to be built specifically for the Customs Preventive Service.  Delivered in 1914, she was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy and served as HMCS Margaret during the First World War.  Following the war, Margaret was returned to the Customs Preventive Service, and was transferred to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in 1932.  Sold shortly thereafter, she was subsequently acquired by the Brazilian Navy and renamed Rio Branco.

HMCS Newington

 (CGS Photo)

HMCS Newington, shown as CGS Newington, before being converted from civilian use for service with the RCN during the First World War.  Prior to the war, the ship served as a fishing trawler and lighthouse tender for the Canadian government.  Following the war the vessel was returned to government service.  CGS Newington was converted to a tugboat in 1920.  Sold to private interests in 1920 the ship sank on 26 August 1959 while laid up in Burrard Inlet, British Columbia.

HMCS Restless 

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Restless (converted from civilian use)., this ship served throughout the First World War as an examination vessel on the west coast.  Built in 1906, she was purchased for fishery patrol two years later. She served as a training ship at the Royal Naval College of Canada, Esquimalt, from 1918 to 1920, when she was donated to the Navy League of Canada for sea cadet training. She was sold in 1927, but remained in commercial service until about 1950, when she was destroyed by fire in Saanichton Bay, BC.

HMCS Stadacona

(IWM Photo, CN-3275)

HMCS Stadacona (converted from civilian use), became a commissioned patrol boat of the RCN, serving in the First World War and postwar until 1920.  Originally named Columbia, this large yacht was purchased from her New York owner and commissioned on 13 Aug 1915, for patrol duty out of Halifax.  She was also for a time the flagship at Halifax of Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Kingsmill.  Early in 1919, HMCS Stadacona was sent around to the west coast and, after briefly serving as a dispatch vessel, she paid off 31 Mar 1920.  After a few years' employment as a fisheries patrol and hydrographic survey vessel, she was sold in 1924 to Central American Shipping of Vancouver and later sold to Ocean Salvage Co., owner Joseph W. Hobbs.  She then achieved a degree of notoriety as a rumrunner's ship under the name Kuyakuzmt.  In 1929 she was rebuilt at Vancouver and once again became a yacht, successively named Lady Stimson and Moonlight Maid.  In 1941 she became a towboat, and served the US government as such for a time in 1942.  She was burned for salvage at Seattle in Jan 1948.

HMCS Tuna, Torpedo Boat

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Tuna was a commissioned torpedo boat of the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) that served during the First World War.  Built as the high-speed civilian yacht Tarantula, the vessel was one of several converted yachts the RCN used during the war.   She was designated as a torpedo boat after the installation of two 14-inch (360 mm) torpedo tubes and a 3-pounder gun.  The ship was commissioned on 5 Dec 1914 as HMCS Tuna, and assigned to patrol duties based out of Halifax.  In July 1916, HMCS Tuna underwent an overhaul at Sorel, Quebec.  On 10 May 1917 HMCS Tuna was paid off due to an irreparable engine mount fracture.  She was sold for salvage in June 1918, and stripped.  Her hull remained in Halifax's Northwest Arm until the 1930s.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Tuna, ca 1916.

P.V. type minesweeping trawlers.  Seven served as RCN minesweepers.  These ships were built before the First World War in the USA.  Initially constructed and used as fishing trawlers they were taken into service with the RCN during the First World War for patrol duty along the Atlantic coast.  They were each armed with a single QF 12-pounder gun.  Following the war they were returned to their original service.

HMCS P.V. I (PV type), HMCS P.V. II (PV type), HMCS P.V. III (PV type), HMCS P.V. IV (PV type), HMCS P.V. V (PV type), HMCS P.V. VI (PV type), HMCS P.V. VII (PV type).  

Original names prior to commissioning in the RCN: P.V. I William B. Murray, P.V. II Amagansett, P.V. III Herbert N. Edwards, P.V. IV Martin J. Marran, P.V. V Rollin E. Mason, P.V. VI Leander Wilcox, and P.V. VII Rowland H. Wilcox.

 (DND Photo)

HMCS P.V. II (PV type) minesweeping trawler, ca 1916.

TR (Castle-class) Minesweeping Trawlers

 (Naval Museum of Alberta Photo)

HMCS TR 9.  Built at the Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., TR 9 was completed on 16 May 1918.  She was paid off on 15 Feb 1919, and sold in 1920.  She was renamed Somersby.

The Castle-class minesweeper was a highly sea worthy naval trawler adapted for patrol, anti-submarine warfare and minesweeping duties and built to UK Admiralty specifications.  Altogether 197 were built in the UK between 1916 and 1919, with 60 put in service with the RCN, and others built in India and later New Zealand.  Many saw service in the Second World War.  They were each armed with a single QF 12-pounder gun.  Early in the Second World War, ten Canadian-built trawlers that had been sold into commercial service after the First World War with a number of European countries, were captured by the Germans when they overran France, Belgium and Norway and taken into service with the Kriegsmarine.

HMCS TR 1 (Castle class), HMCS TR 2 (Castle class), HMCS TR 3 (Castle class), HMCS TR 4 (Castle class), HMCS TR 5 (Castle class), HMCS TR 6 (Castle class) all built at Port Arthur Shipbuilding, Port Arthur, Ontario. 

HMCS TR 7 (Castle class), HMCS TR 8 (Castle class), HMCS TR 9 (Castle class), HMCS TR 10 (Castle class), HMCS TR 11 (Castle Class), HMCS TR 12 (Castle class), all built at Collingwood Shipbuilding, Collingwood, Ontario. 

HMCS TR 13 (Castle class), HMCS TR 14 (Castle class), built at Thor Iron Works, Toronto, Ontario.

HMCS TR 15 (Castle class), HMCS TR 16 (Castle class), HMCS TR 17 (Castle class), HMCS TR 18 (Castle class), all built at Polson Iron Works, Toronto, Ontairo.

HMCS TR 19 (Castle class), HMCS TR 20 (Castle class), built at Kingston Shipbuilding, Kingston, Ontario.

HMCS TR 21 (Castle class), HMCS TR 22 (Castle class), HMCS TR 23 (Castle class), HMCS TR 24 (Castle class), HMCS TR 25 (Castle class), HMCS TR 26 (Castle class), HMCS TR 27 (Castle class), HMCS TR 28 (Castle class), HMCS TR 29 (Castle class), HMCS TR 30 (Castle class), HMCS TR 31 (Castle class), built at Canadian Vickers, Montreal, Quebec.

HMCS TR 32 (Castle class), HMCS TR 33 (Castle class), HMCS TR 34 (Castle class), built at Government Shipyards, Sorel, Quebec.

HMCS TR 35 (Castle class), HMCS TR 36 (Castle class), built at Davie Shipbuilding, Lauzon, Quebec.

HMCS TR 37 (Castle class), HMCS TR 38 (Castle class), HMCS TR 39 (Castle class), HMCS TR 40 (Castle class), HMCS TR 41 (Castle class), HMCS TR 42 (Castle class), HMCS TR 43 (Castle class), HMCS TR 44 (Castle class), built at Port Arthur Shipbuilding, Port Arthur, Ontario.

HMCS TR 45(Castle class),HMCS TR 46 (Castle class), HMCS TR 47 (Castle class), HMCS TR 48 (Castle class), HMCS TR 49 (Castle class), HMCS TR 50 (Castle class), built at Davie Shipbuilding, Lauzon, Quebec.

HMCS TR 51 (Castle class), HMCS TR 52 (Castle class), HMCS TR 53 (Castle class), built at Government Shipyards, Sorel, Quebec.

HMCS TR 54 (Castle class), HMCS TR 55 (Castle class), HMCS TR 56 (Castle class), HMCS TR 57 (Castle class), built at Kingston Shipbuilding, Kingston, Ontario.

HMCS TR 58 (Castle class), HMCS TR 59 (Castle class), and HMCS TR 60 (Castle class), built at Tidewater Shipbuilding, Trois-Rivières, Quebec.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3332779)

HMCS TR 8, Halifax, Nova Scotia ca 1918.

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS TR-35 (left) ready for launching, TR-36 on the right, Lauzon, Quebec, 1918.

CD-class Naval Drifters

 (DND Photo)

C.D. 27 armed drifter in RCN service, ca 1917.

The CD-class naval drifters were armed wooden-hulled boats constructed in 1917 for the Royal Navy in Canada.  100 were ordered for use in British waters during the First World War numbered from CD 1 to CD 100, of which 42 were transferred to the RCN and 18 were transferred to the USN.  In Canadian waters, the drifters patrolled the Maritimes.  At the end of the war, the drifters were either sold into mercantile service or scrapped.  Some survived in British service and were be used during the Second World War.

C.D. 1 to C.D. 50, built at Davie Shipbuilding Co. Ltd, Lauzon, Quebec.

C.D. 51 to C.D. |53, built at Government Shipyards, Sorel, Quebec.

C.D. 54 to C.D. 59, built at Sorel Shipbuilding & Coal Co., Quebec,

C.D. 60 to C.D. 61, and C.D. 68 to C.D. 70, built at H.H. Sheppard & Sons, Sorel, Quebec.

C.D. 62 to C.D. 67, built at LeClaire & Sons, Sorel, Quebec.

C.D. 71 to C.D. 96, built at Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Quebec.

C.D. 97 to C.D. 100, built at Harbour Commissioners, Montreal, Quebec.

Battle Class Trawlers

HMCS Arleux (Battle-class); HMCS Armentières (Battle-class); HMCS Arras (Battle-class); HMCS Festubert (Battle-class); HMCS Givenchy (Battle-class); HMCS Loos (Battle-class); HMCS Messines (Battle-class); HMCS St. Eloi (Battle-class); HMCS St. Julien (Battle-class); HMCS Thiepval (Battle-class); HMCS Vimy (Battle-class); HMCS Ypres (Battle-class)

HMCS Arleux

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Arleux was one of twelve Battle class Naval trawlers used by the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN).  Named after the April 1917 Battle of Arleux, she was built by Canadian Vickers, at Montreal, and commissioned on 5 June 1918.  After the First World War, Arleux was transferred to the Department of Marine and Fisheries, but remained notionally a naval vessel until June 1922.  While Arleux was a fisheries patrol vessel, she often served as a mother ship to the east coast's winter haddock fishing fleet.  Reacquired by the RCN and re-commissioned in September 1939, Arleux was designated Gate Vessel 16 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1940.  Sold in February 1946, Arleux foundered in August 1948 off White Head Bay, Nova Scotia.

HMCS Armentières

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Armentières, ca 1918.

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo)

HMCS Armentières, 27 May 1933.

HMCS Arras

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Arras, ca 1918.

HMCS Festubert

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Festubert, ca 1918.

HMCS Ypres

 (RCN Photo)

HMCS Ypres was also one of the twelve Battle class Naval trawlers used by the RCN.  Named after the 2nd and 3rd battles of Ypres, she was built by Polson Iron Works in Toronto, Ontario, and was commissioned on 13 November 1917.  Like many of the RCN's Battle class trawlers, Ypres was decommissioned in 1920.  After being recommissioned on 1 May 1923 as a training ship, in November 1932 she was again decommissioned and was placed in reserve. Refitted as a gate vessel in 1938 and recommissioned, Ypres was designated Gate Vessel 1, and formed part of the Halifax boom defences until 12 May 1940, when she was accidentally rammed and sunk by the British battleship HMS Revenge, but without loss of life.  After this incident, the crews of other gate vessels would pretend to make elaborate preparations for a collision every time the Revenge visited Halifax.  (Ken Macpherson and John Burgess, The ships of Canada's naval forces 1910-1993 : a complete pictorial history of Canadian warships, (St. Catharines, Ont.: Vanwell Pub., 1994), p. 25).

Training Vessels

HMCS Skidegate

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Skidegate.  Built in 1927, she was owned by Packers Steamship Co., Ltd., Vancouver BC, from 1927 to 1931.  Later owned by J. Dutton of Vancouver then J.J. Cross Marine Supplies.  Named Ochecac, she was purchased in 1938 and commissioned on 25 Jul 1938, for training purposes in connection with the Fishermen's Reserve, formed that year on the west coast.  Of declining use as the war progressed, HMCS Skidegate was paid off on 18 Feb 1942.  Sold in 1946 to John Steffich (MO), Vancouver BC.  In 1946 she was renamed as the Santa Rosa.

HMCS Venture

 (DND Photo)

HMCS Venture.  The only sailing vessel among the thirteen ships serving in the RCN on the eve of the Second World War, this three-masted schooner was built at Meteghan, Nova Scotia, and commissioned on 25 October 1937 as a training ship. With war imminent, HMCS Venture was paid off on 1 September 1939 to become an accommodation vessel at Halifax for ratings on the staff of the Rear Admiral, 3rd Battleship Squadron, RN.  In November 1941, she was commissioned as guard ship at Tuft's Cove, at the entrance to Bedford Basin.  She gave up her name on 13 May 1943 to the former yacht Seaborn and thereafter was known as Harbour Craft 190.  She was sold on 10 December 1945 to a Halifax firm and renamed Alfred & Emily. Engaged first in the sealing trade and then in carrying coal, she was lost by fire at sea in 1951.

Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3407944)

HMCS Karluk, icebound, Oct 1913.  Karluk was an American-built brigantine which, after many years' service as a whaler, was acquired by the Canadian government in 1913 to act as flagship to the Canadian Arctic Expedition.  While on her way to the expedition's rendezvous at Herschel Island, Karluk became trapped in the Arctic pack ice and, after drifting for several months, was crushed and sank in January 1914.  Of the 25 aboard (crew and expedition staff), eleven died, either during the attempts to reach land by marching over the ice, or after arrival at the temporary refuge of Wrangel Island.  Several designations have been applied to the ship after her acquisition by the Canadian government, including "HMCS" (His Majesty's Canadian Ship),"DGS" (Dominion Government Ship), and "CGS" (Canadian Government Ship).  It is not clear whether the "HMCS" designation was formal or informal; HMCS is used for Royal Canadian Navy ships.  Although Karluk sailed under a non-navy captain and with a non-navy crew, she flew the Canadian Blue Ensign, the jack of the Royal Canadian Navy.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3407943)

HMCS Karluk, icebound, Oct 1913.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3611364)

HMCS Karluk.

St. John’s, HMCS Cabot,  220 Southside Road, Pier 27.

(Able Seaman Brittany Hayes Photos, HMCS Cabot)

QF 3-pounder Hotchkiss Gun, inside the main entrance to the ship.  This gun was used on board HMS Calypso.

 (RN Photo)

HMS Calypso.  A corvette of the Royal Navy, she was sent to Newfoundland in 1902 where she served as a training vessel for the Newfoundland Naval Reserve before and during the First World War.  The author was onboard this vessel during her scrapping in 1971.  The remains of her hull still exist in a coastal bay near Lewisporte, Newfoundland.

 (RN Photo)

HMS Calypso.

 (RN Photo)

HMS Calypso.

 (RN Photo)

HMS Calypso.

(RN Photo)

HMS Calypso, profile view and under full sail.

(The Rooms Provincial Archives Photo)

HMS Calypso in RN service.

(RN Photo)

HMS Calypso.  The author was onboard this vessel during her scrapping in 1971.  The remains of her hull still exist in a coastal bay near Lewisporte, Newfoundland.