Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
RCAF Higher Formations and Ancillary Units 1939-1968

RCAF Higher Formations and Ancillary Units 1939-1968

Data current to 2 March 2020.

RCAF Higher Formations and Ancillary Units 1939-1968

Air Force HQ, formed at Ottawa on 18 Feb 1920, redesignated RCAF HQ on 1 Apr 1924, redesignated Air Force HQ on 31 Aug 1939, ceased to exist on formation of Canadian Forces HQ on 1 Aug 1964.

RCAF Overseas HQ, formed at London, England on 1 Jan 1940, this HQ exercised administrative control over all RCAF personnel and units overseas, and acted on behalf of the RCAF on all matters pertaining to their employment.  It was disbanded on 22 Jul 1946.

Commands

Air Defence Command, formed at No. 1 Air Defence Group at Air Force HQ, Ottawa, Ontario on 1 Dec 1948.  Moved to St Hubert, Quebec on 1 Nov 1949.  Became Air Defence Command on 1 Jun 1951.  Integrated into North American Air Defence (NORAD) Command on 12 Sep 1957.  Moved to North Bay, Ontario in Aug 1966.  Integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) on 1 Feb 1968.

Air Material Command, formed as Maintenance Command at Uplands (Ottawa), Ontario, on 1 Oct 1945.  Moved to No. 8 Temporary Building, Ottawa, on 15 Mar 1947.  Moved to Rockcliffe (Ottawa), Ontario and renamed Air Material Command on 1 Apr 1949.  Disbanded on 1 Aug 1965 on the formation of the Canadian Forces Material Command.

Air Training Command, for as Training Group at Camp Borden, Ontario on 1 Apr 1935.  Moved to Trenton, Ontario on 1 Sep 1937.  Became Air Training Command on 15 Sep 1938.  Moved to Toronto, Ontario on 1 Oct 1938.  Disbanded on 1 Jan 1940 on the formation of No. 1 Training Command of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP).

Air Transport Command, formed within Air Force HQ as the Directorate of Air Transport Command at Ottawa, Ontario, on 5 Aug 1943.  Redesignated No. 9 (Transport) Group and moved to Rockcliffe (Ottawa) on 5 Feb 1945 as an autonomous HQ.  Became Air Transport Command on 1 Apr 1948.  Moved to Lachine (Montreal), Quebec on 9 Aug 1951.  Moved to Trenton, Ontario on 1 Sep 1959.  Integrated into the CAF on 1 Feb 1968.

Central Air Command, formed at Trenton, Ontario on 1 Mar 1947 on the disbandment of No. 1 Air Command.  Became one of two geographical air commands of the peacetime establishment, controlling No. 10 Group (formerly Eastern Air Command) at Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Disbanded on 1 Apr 1949 on the formation of Training Command.

Eastern Air Command, formed at Halifax, Nova Scotia on 15 Nov 1938.  During the Second World War, it operated both as a command and as an operational group HQ.  It controlled No. 1 Group at St. John’s, Newfoundland and No. 5 (Gulf) Group at Gaspé, Quebec, and administered No. 12 (Operational Training) Group at Halifax.  Disbanded on 1 Mar 1947 on the formation of No. 10 Group of Central Air Command.

Maritime Air Command, formed at Halifax, Nova Scotia as No. 10 Group of Central Air Command on 1 Mar 1947, on the disbandment of Eastern Air Command.  Redesignated Maritime Group on 1 Apr 1949 and became autonomous on 15 Jan 1953.  Disbanded on 16 Jan 1966 on the formation of Canadian Forces Maritime Command.

North West Air Command, formed as the North West Staging Route at Edmonton, Alberta on 15 Oct 1942, under No. 4 Training Command of the BCATP.  Redesignated No. 2 Wing of Western Air Command on 1 Jan 1944.  Renamed North West Air Command on 1 Jun 1944.  Controlled No. 11 Group at Winnipeg, Manitoba and No. 12 Group at Vancouver, British Columbia.  Disbanded on 1 Aug 1951, when it was absorbed by Tactical Group (formerly No. 11 Group) to form Tactical Air Group (later Tactical Air Command).

Tactical Air Command, formed as No. 11 Group of North West Air Command on 1 Mar 1947.  Redesignated Tactical Group on 1 Apr 1949.  Became autonomous on 15 Jan 1951.  Moved to Edmonton, Alberta and merged with North West Air Command on 1 Aug 1951 to form Tactical Air Group.  Became Tactical Air Command on 1 June 1953.  Disbanded on 1 Jan 1959.

Training Command, formed at Trenton, Ontario on 1 Apr 1949 on the disbandment of Central Air Command.  Controlled No. 14 (Training) Group at Winnipeg, Manitoba.  Moved to Winnipeg on 11 Sep 1958 and absorbed No. 14 Group.  Disbanded on 15 Jan 1966 on the formation of Canadian Forces Training Command.

Western Air Command, formed at Vancouver, British Columbia on 1 Mar 1938.  Moved to Victoria, BC on 25 Nov 1939.  Returned to Vancouver on 1 Jan 1943.  During the Second World War, WAC operated as both a command and an operational group HQ.  It controlled No. 4 Group at Prince Rupert, BC, and briefly No. 2 Group at Victoria.  Disbanded on 1 Mar 1947 on the formation of No. 12 Group of North West Air Command.

No. 1 Air Command, formed at Trenton, Ontario on 15 Jan 1945 by the merger of No. 1 and No. 3 Training Command of the BCATP, as a temporary organization to cover the closing down of the BCATP and the establishment of the peacetime command organization.  Disbanded on 1 Mar 1947 on the formation of Central Air Command.

No. 2 Air Command, formed at Winnipeg, Manitoba on 1 Dec 1944 by the merger of No. 2 and No. 4 Training Command of the BCATP and the establishment of the peacetime command organization.  Disbanded on 1 Mar 1947 on the formation of No. 11 Group of North West Air Command.

No. 1 Air Division Europe, formed at Paris, France on 1 Oct 1952 as an operational command of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Allied Command Europe (ACE).  Moved to Metz, France on 13 Apr 1953, then to Lahr, Germany on 1 Apr 1967.  Integrated into the CAF on 1 Feb 1968.

No. 5 Air Division, formed as No. 12 Group of North West Air Command at Comox, British Columbia on 1 Mar 1947.  Redesignated No. 12 Air Defence Group and reassigned to Air Defence Command on 1 Jul 1951.  Redesignated No. 5 Air Division on 1 Sep 1955.  Transferred to Maritime Air Command (Pacific) on 15 Oct 1962.  Disbanded on 31 Dec 1963.