|New Brunswick Military Units, The New Brunswick Rangers
The New Brunswick Rangers
The New Brunswick Rangers was an infantry regiment of the Canadian Army until its amalgamation with The Saint John Fusiliers (MG).
Data updated on 2 January 2020.
The New Brunswick Rangers trace their Lineage to the 74th Battalion of Infantry authorized on 12 August 1870. They were re-designated as the 74th Regiment 8 May 1900, and then as the 74th Regiment 'The New Brunswick Rangers' on 2 November 1903, and as The New Brunswick Rangers on 15 March 1920. They were amalgamated with The Saint John Fusiliers (M.G.) on 31 August 1946 to become The South New Brunswick Regiment. The designation was changed three months later, to The New Brunswick Scottish, on 2 December 1946, with its Headquarters in Sussex, NB. The 74th Regiment contributed men to the 12th Battalion, CEF, and recruited for the 55th, 145th and 236th Battalions, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), all of which are perpetuated by the New Brunswick Rangers. All were amalgamated on 31 August 1946, to create The South New Brunswick Regiment.
Details of the New Brunswick Rangers and The Saint John Fusiliers (Machine Gun) were called out on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939 for local protection duties until disbanded on 31 December 1940. The New Brunswick Rangers mobilized the 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers, CASF, on 1 January 1941. It was re-designated as The 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade Support Group (The New Brunswick Rangers), CIC, CASF on 1 November 1943 and as The 10th Independent Machine Gun Company (The New Brunswick Rangers), CIC, CASF on 24 February 1944. The unit served at Goose Bay, Labrador in a home defence role as part of Atlantic Command from June 1942 to July 1943. It embarked for Britain on 13 September 1943. On 26 July 1944, the company landed in France as part of the 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Armoured Division, and it continued to fight in North-West Europe until the end of the war. The overseas company was disbanded on 15 February 1946.
The Saint John Fusiliers (Machine Gun) mobilized the 1st Battalion, The Saint John Fusiliers (Machine Gun), CASF, on 1 January 1941. It served in Canada as part of the 18th Infantry Brigade, 6th Canadian Division, and "C" Company of this unit took part in the expedition to Kiska, Alaska as a component of the 13th Canadian Infantry Brigade Group, serving there from 16 August 1943 to 6 January 1944. It embarked for Britain on 2 January 1945, where it was disbanded on 10 January 1945.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, PA 113666)
New Brunswick Rangers, 4th Canadian Armoured Division, entering Bergen-Op-Zoom, Holland, 29 Oct 1944.
Cloth Shoulder Flashes
During the Second World War, a cloth shoulder flash in red stitching on a blue background was worn on Battle Dress.
The New Brunswick Rangers are perpetuated by the Royal New Brunswick Regiment with its Headquarters in Fredericton.