Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
New Brunswick Military Museums

Military Museums and Monuments in New Brunswick

Defence position overlooking Bell Bridge, CFB Gagetown, New Brunswick, ca. 1996.  (Author's Artwork)

The New Brunswick Military History Museum is centred on 5 Canadian Division Support Base (5 CDSB) Gagetown, New Brunswick.  For details on its activities and collection please view their website: http://nbmilitaryhistorymuseum.ca/en/new-brunswick-military-history-museum-home.html

This list af artifacts on display in the province of New Brunswick has been compiled by the author (Vice President of the Friends of the NBMHM).  Corrections, amendments and updates are most welcome.  Additional photos of the tanks, artillery and major weapon systems and displays in museums in the province may be viewed in the Armoured Fighting Vehicles preserved in Canada section and in the Artillery preserved in Canada section on this website.

Photos are by the Author unless otherwise credited.

Data current to 9 Oct 2016.

Military Museums and Monuments in New Brunswick

Aulac, Fort Beauséjour – Fort Cumberland National Historic Site of Canada, 111 Fort Beauséjour Road.

SBML 8-inch Land Service Mortar, prior to 1780, mounted on a wooden bed.  Acquired from the Royal Artillery Institution, Woolwich, UK, 1933.

French SBML ½-pounder Gun, used for the defence of blockhouses and other likely fortifications.  Gift of W.L.  Bidden, Moncton, NB.

SBML ½-pounder Gun, stamped J & H (John & Henry) King, 1813, mounted on a wooden carriage.  Stolen in 2004, investigation continuing.

SBML 1-pounder Gun, small Naval gun with decorative cast-iron lion’s head carriage, raised letters on carriage LAXEVAGS (SIC) VAERK BERGEN, indicating the gun was made in Norway.  Gift from the estate of Dr J.W.  Sangster, Sackville, NB in 1937.  Stolen in 2004, investigation continuing.

French SBML 2-pounder Gun, Fort Gaspéreau, ca. 1751-1756, mounted on a wooden carriage.  Gift of Honourable Frank B.  Black, Sackville, NB in 1936.

Blomefield SBML 4-pounder Carronade stamped COL D, F.

French SBML 6-pounder Gun, ca. 1732-1770, the only remaining gun of those used in the defence of Fort Beauséjour in 1755.  Gift from Dr J.C.  Webster in 1937.

SBML 6-pounder Bronze gun, weight 6-0-9 (681 lbs), J & H (John & Henry) King, 1813, King George III (1760-1820), and cypher of Henry, Earl of Musgrave, Master General of Ordnance (1810-1818), broad arrow indicating British Government ordnance, mounted on a field carriage.  On display inside the Visitor Centre.

SBML 18-pounder Gun, King George III cypher, broad arrow, no trunnion, broken button.  ca. 1776-1790.  Originally located at Fort Cumberland in 1813, acquired from the Amherst School Board in 1930.

SBML 18-pounder Gun, weight 41-0-0 (4,592 lbs), Walker, ca. 1776-1790, broad arrow, W.  Originally located at Fort Cumberland, acquired from the Robb family, Amherst, NS in 1930.

SBML 18-pounder Gun, weight 41-1-21 (4,641 lbs), Walker, ca. 1776-1790, broad arrow, W.  Originally located at Fort Cumberland, acquired from the Robb family, Amherst, NS in 1930.

Blomefield SBML 24-pounder 50-cwt Gun, weight 50-0-21 (5,621 lbs), 1800-1820, Walker, CV C N, 80, broad arrow, King George III cypher.  Iron lock-strap over vent.  This large mounted gun had been at Fort Cumberland up to the latter part of the 18th century, then at the Dorchester Penitentiary in New Brunswick for many years until gifted to Fort Beauséjour by the Department of Justice.

RML 64-pounder 71-cwt Gun, weight 58-0-2 (6,498 lbs), RGF, No. 615, cast as a 32-pounder 1853-567, Palliser modification with the gun re-bored to 64-pounder, 1868-71, Queen Victoria cypher.  This gun came from Fort Clarence in 1924.

SBML 1-pounder Gun, weight 1-3-20 (216 lbs), J & H (John & Henry) King, ca. 1760-1780. 

SBML 6-pounder Gun, weight 14-3-21 (1,673 lbs), P, no cypher, badly corroded.

SBML 3-pounder brass Gun, weight 3-0-1 (337 lbs), 1799, J & H King, previously at the Carleton Martello Tower, Saint John, NB in the early 1980s, currently undergoing conservation in Dartmouth, NS.

SBML 3-pounder brass Gun, weight 3-0-1 (337 lbs), 1800, J & H King, previously at the Carleton Martello Tower, Saint John, NB in the early 1980s, currently undergoing conservation in Dartmouth, NS.

SBML 4-pounder Gun, ca. 1760 (four) previously at Carleton Martello Tower in Saint John, NB, currently in storage.

Bathurst, Herman J. Good V.C. Memorial Museum, Royal Canadian Legion Branch 18, 575 St. Peter Ave., Bathurst, New Brunswick.  Website: http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=5457.  An excellent collection of Canadian, Allied and foreign small arms.  Many of these weapons were stolen early in 2013.  The RCMP in Bathurst would appreciate any information leading to their recovery.

German First and Second World War Small Arms on display in the museum:

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim leichtes Maschinen Gewehr 08/15 (MG 08/15) light machine gun, 1917, (Serial No. 2849).  Captured by the 78th Battalion south of Passchendaele, France.

7.65-mm Mauser 1914 semi-automatic pistol, left, and 7.65-mm Dreyse M1907 semi-automatic pistol, right.

6.35-mm Steyr Model 1909 semi-automatic pistol, left, and 9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol, one of three in the collection.

9-mm Walther P38 semi-automatic pistols, one of two, left, and 7.65-mm Walther PPK pistol, right.

26.5-mm Walther SLD Doppelschuss (Double Barrel) Naval Flare Gun.

7.92-mm Mauser Karabiner 98K (K98) bolt action rifle. 

Italian 9-mm Beretta M1934 semi-automatic pistol.

Japanese 6.5-mm Arisaka Type 99 Short Rifles (two).

Ordnance QF 6-pounder Anti-Tank Gun, in front of the Legion.

Bathurst

Universal Carriers, both with the same Reg. No. CT96069,  2nd Bn RNBR (North Shore) Armoury.

Boiestown

Grumman TBM-3 Avenger, (Serial No. 85733), C-GLEK, Forest Protection Ltd., colours, Aircraft No. 14, Boiestown Woodsman Museum.  Oil painting for FPL by the Author.

Caraquet

 (Photo courtesy of Nelopics)

American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun on display in a memorial park facing the Bay of Chaleur.

Campbellton

French SBML Gun, ca. 1760, mounted on a British 24-pounder iron carriage, stamped with 3 fleur-de-lys and the letter P.  No. 1.  5-inch bore (12.6-cm).

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial No. 2402), no data.  No. 2. 

French SBML Gun, ca. 1760, mounted on a British 24-pounder iron carriage, stamped with two anchors.  No. 3.  5-1/2-inch bore (14-cm).

Cap Pelé

105-mm C1A1 M2A1 Howitzer, CDN 129 AKA CFR 56- 34228, No. 1 of 2.  This gun was in the Central Command Militia Pool.  It  is located beside the town cenotaph near the intersection of Ch Acadie and Ch Saint Andre.  Beside the municipal building.

105-mm C1A12 M2A1 Howitzer, CDN 5 AKA CFR 55-34110, No. 2 of 2.  This guns served with 4 RCHA.  It is located beside the town cenotaph near the intersection of Ch Acadie and Ch Saint Andre.  Beside the municipal building.

Centreville

     

155-mm M109 Self-Propelled Howitzer, CFR 85-77237, No.1, right side of the Memorial Park.

155-mm Self-Propelled Howitzer, CFR 68-34821, No. 2, left side of the Memorial Park.

Centreville, Fort Presqu' Île

This was the site of a  British blockhouse located at the mouth of the Presqu' Île River (1791 - 1824, 1837 - 1840's), near Simonds.  The post occupied five acres, with barracks, Officers' quarters, a guardhouse, stables and stores.  During the Maine/New Brunswick border dispute the post was repaired and used as an observation post, depot and rallying point for the local militia.  The only evidence remaining is the post cemetery. There is a provincial historic marker on the side of the road at the foot of the height of land upon which stood the blockhouse.

Chipman

German First World War 17-cm mittlerer Minenwerfer (17-cm mMW), (Serial No. 7095), H, 2, 1918.  Captured by the 13th Battalion near Aubercourt, France, 8 August 1918.  Mounted on an iron-wheeled carriage in the Community Park on Main Street.

Edmundston

Avro 683 Lancaster Mk XP (AR) (Serial No. KB882).

The Lancaster bomber located at the Edmundston municipal airport is one of 430 Mark “X” models of the Avro Lancaster built in Canada by Victory Aircraft in Malton, Ontario, and one of 7,377 produced during the Second World War.  This bomber arrived in the United Kingdom on 4 March 1945 and became part of the Royal Air Force’s No. 428 (Ghost) Squadron of the 6th Bomber Group.  Although part of the RAF, No. 428 was a Canadian manned squadron.  Its first operational mission occurred over Dortmund on 12 March 1945, with Fight Lieutenant W. L. Ross the pilot.  KB882 flew a total of eleven operational missions before the war ended.

After the war Lancaster KB882 was flown back to Canada and turned over to the RCAF where eventually it saw service with No. 408 Squadron.  During this period it was employed in Arctic reconnaissance and on various Cold War missions.  When Lancasters where replaced, the City of Edmundston purchased KB882.  On 14 June 1964, it flew its final fly past and landed at the municipal airport, where it remains today, one of only seventeen Lancasters known to exist.  This aircraft will be transferred to the Edmonton Aviation Museum for restoration and preservation.

Fredericton

Millar-Dundas SBML 32-pounder 56-cwt Gun, stamped 1813, Queen Victoria cypher.  Officer’s Square, York-Sunbury Museum, Northwest corner of Officer’s Square.  These guns came from Halifax ca. 1947,  No. 1 of 2, Fredericton Region Museum.

Millar-Dundas SBML 32-pounder Gun, stamped 1813, Queen Victoria cypher.  Facing the Saint John River, Northeast corner of Officer’s Square, No. 2 of 2, Fredericton Region Museum.

Ordnance QF 6-pounder Anti-Tank Guns, No. 1 of 2, with the Second World War formation markings of the 90th and 104th Batteries, Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 4.

Ordnance QF 6-pounder Anti-Tank Guns, No. 2 of 2, with the Second World War formation markings of the 90th and 104th Batteries, Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 4.

Ordnance QF 6-pounder Anti-Tank Gun , marked with artillery red over blue and white No. 2 tactical sign, Marysville Cenotaph.

NBMHM Museum, Fredericton

Cast Iron 1/2-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade, weight 1 (112 lbs), mounted on a wooden carriage.

Cast Iron 12-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield-pattern breeching ring, weight 4 (448 lbs) mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 1 of 2 inside the museum.

Cast Iron 12-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield-pattern breeching ring, weight 4 (448 lbs) mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 2 inside the museum.

105-mm C1A1 M2A1 Howitzer, CDN No. unknown, Serial No. 16127, 1943, weight 1,060 lbs, standing behind a white picket fence outside the museum, one block West of Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 93.

Gagetown

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08/15 heavy machine gun being examined by Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade Officers, March 1918.   (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3522120)

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08/15 Machinegun, (Serial No. 4359).  Captured by the 5th Battalion near Warvillers, France, 9 August 1918.  Alfred Ashburn Memorial Legion, 81 Tilley Road.

Grand-Anse

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun (Serial No. 3775), Community Park between Highway 11 and the Bay of Chaleur.

QF 4-inch Mk. XXI Naval Gun (Serial No. 14729) in box shield, Community Park.

M113A2 APC, CFR TBC, Community Park.

Grand Falls

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial No. 8283), captured by the 25th Battalion near Cherisy, France, 27 August 1918.  Main Street, City Park.

Harvey

M113 C & R Lynx, CFR 67-35937, standing in a small park beside the Don Messer Memorial Fiddle.

Hillsborough

McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo, (Serial No. 101028), left, and McDonnell CF-101B Voodoos, Warlocks, mid 1980s.  (Doug Brown Photo)

This aircraft is ex-USAF (Serial No. 57-346), F-101B-90-MC.  It initially flew with No. 425 Squadron, and then with No. 416 All Weather Fighter Squadron, CFB Bagotville, Québec and later at CFB Chatham, NB.  It was flown in the 1982 squadron demonstration team, the "Bobcats".   This specific Voodoo made 416 Squadron’s first daylight interception of a Russian Tupolev Tu-95 Bear bomber in July 1984.  It became Instructional Hrs airframe 831 B on 13 August 1984.  This aircraft is currently on static display at Preservation Park, Hillsborough.

Hopewell Cape

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial No. 784), no data.

German First World War 10-cm Kanone 14 (10-cm K 14), (Serial No. 590), 1917, captured by the 27th Battalion at Farbus near Vimy, France, on 9 April 1917.

Kedgwick

Howitzer, Medium, Towed, 155-mm, C1, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR 34-448.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (year TBC), REG. NO. CDN 171, INSP (symbol).   The breech block reads: HOWITZER 155MM M1A1 CDN, CANADA, SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD, 1956, 3730 LBS, INSP (symbol).  Veterans Memorial, Highway 17.

Minto

Howitzer, Medium, Towed, 155-mm, C1, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR TBC.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (year TBC), REG. NO. CDN TBC, INSP (symbol).   The breech block reads: HOWITZER 155MM M1A1 CDN, CANADA, SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD, Date TBC, 3730 LBS, INSP (symbol).  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 12.

Miramichi

Ordnance QF 6-pounder Anti-Tank Gun, cenotaph, Elm Park.

Ordnance QF 40-mm Bofors AA Gun, No. 1 and 2, Elm Park.

Blomefield SBML 4-pounder Carronade, broken pieces, left and a second beside the city fountain.

McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo, (Serial No. 101053), ex-USAF (Serial No. 57-0418).  On the grounds of former CFB Chatham. 

Moncton

Ordnance QF 25-pounder Gun, Victoria Park.

Canadian M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. unknown), “Coriano”, different paint schemes, Centennial Park, St George Blvd.

In 1946 the first of 294 M4A2 (76-mm) Wet Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS) Sherman tanks arrived at Camp Borden and at the Long Pointe Ordnance Depot in Montreal.  The Canadians referred to this tank as the M4A2E8.  96 Stuart tanks were also delivered at the same time.  The new Shermans were manufactured by the Fisher Tank Arsenal in Grand Blanc, Michigan between May 1944 and May 1945.  M24 Chaffee light tanks were also purchased at this time.  Compared with the Shermans used by Canadians in the Second World War, the ammunition storage in the new tanks was improved by surrounding the racks with water and etheylene glycol-filled jackets to reduce the probability of explosion in the event of penetration of the armour by enemy fire.  The tanks equipped with this protection system were designated "Wet".  The M4A2E8 was powered by a pair of side-by-side mounted General Motors 6046 diesel engines producing 375 hp mounted in the rear of the hull.  The tank could sustain a speed of 48 kmh (30 mph).  Its main armament was a 76-mm M1A2 long-barreled, high-velocity gun fitted with a muzzle brake.  Its secondary armament included one Browning .30-calibre M1919A4 machine-gun mounted co-axially with the main gun, a bow machine-gun in the front of the hull, and a Browning .50-calibre machine-gun mounted on a post between the loader's and commander's hatches for AA protection.  The HVSS system used four wheels per bogie instead of two, which allowed tracks that were wider (165-mm) to be installed, and which made for better performance on soft ground and allowed for a smoother ride.  The M4A2E8 had a five-man crew.  The driver and co-driver sat in the front of the hull with the driver on the left and co-driver on the right.  The crew commander, loader and gunner sat in the turret.  The crew commander's position was on the right side of the turret, the loader sat on his left and the gunner sat in front of the commander.  After the first batch of the new tanks went to the RCD at Camp Borden 1946, another 30 went to the LdSH at Camp Wainwright, Alberta in March 1947.  Training on the tanks by the LdSH was also conducted at Camp Sarcee in Alberta, and at Camp Petawawa when the RCD moved there in the spring of 1948.

Leopard Main Battle Tank, Superior Propane Centre, 55 Russ Howard Drive.

American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, Moncton Armoury.

Centurion Main Battle Tank Mk. 11, L7 105-mm main gun, “Rimini”, Moncton Armoury.

M113 C & R Lynx, CFR TBC, Moncton Armoury.

Ferret Scout Car, RCD, Camp Gagetown, summer concentration, 1963.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235425)

Ferret Scout Car Mk 1, Moncton Armoury.

British Ferret Scout Car Mk 1, Mike Baxter.

Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 4B, (Serial No. 18488), silver, mounted on a pylon in Centennial Park on Highway 2, West end of the city.  This monument was unveiled on 14 August 1966.

Oromocto, Fort Hughes Military Blockhouse, 1 Wharf Road.

RML 9-pounder 8-cwt Gun, stamped 1873, No. 2857, mounted on a field carriage stamped Sir W.G. Armstrong and Co., Newcastle on the Tyne.  This gun was used in the NW Rebellion, 1885.  Fort Hughes, Sir Douglas Hazen Park.

Oromocto

Centurion Main Battle Tank Mk 5, 20-pounder Gun, Centennial Park, Wassis Road.

C1A1 105-mm M2A2 Howitzer, in front of Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 93.

M113 C & R Lynx, CFR 67-35961, 41, Oromocto Visitors Bureau.

 

LAV III, early mod, to be the first of 250 allocated to communities across Canada, located near the Oromocto War Memorial.

CFB Gagetown, New Brunswick Military History Museum, Building A-5.

A few of the Rifles and Automatic Weapons being prepared for display in the NBMHM.

Photos of the Small Arms in the NBMHM collection are on a separate web page.

Great Britain, .577-450 cal Martini-Henry M1871 Rifles.

Canada, .303-inch Ross Rifles.

Great Britain, .303-inch Lewis Guns.

Great Britain, .303-inch Bren Guns.

Canada, 7.62-mm FN C2 Rifles.

Soviet Union, Dragunov Sniper Rifle, two 7.62-mm Degtyaryov LMGs, and two 7.92-mm RPK LMGs.

Great Britain, Jones Flintlock Pistol, London, ca 1750, ART 27, NBMHM, CFB Gagetown, NB  X 2

Canada, 9-mm Browning Hi-Power Pistol, (Serial No. 4T1374), NBMHM.

Great Britain, .476 cal Enfield Mk II Revolver, NBMHM.

 

9-mm Luger P08, Lange Pistol 32-cm long-barreled artillery model,1918 (Serial No. 5399). 

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim leichtes Maschinen Gewehr 08/15 (MG 08/15) light machine gun (two).

German Second World War uniform display.

German Second World War Naval Flag display.

German Second World War Kriegsmarine (Naval) display.

German Second World War Kriegsmarine (Naval) dagger, one of two with one in the museum and this one in Fredericton.

7.92-mm Maschinengewehr 42 (MG 42), machine gun.

Comparison of 7.92-mm MG 42 (top) and MG 34.

7.62-mm MG 81 quadruple AA mount, (Serial Nos. 64127, top left, 52108, top right, 52137, lower left, and 52138, lower right). 

20-mm Hispano-Suiza HS.404 Heavy Anti-Aircraft Autocannon.

20-mm Madsen Cannon M/38 Heavy machine gun.

German Second World War Police officer's dress uniform sword..

Japanese Second World War display inside the NBMHM.

Japanese Second World War helmet.

Japanese Officer Gunto Swords, 1st photo, CFB Gagetown, bottom, 2nd and 3rd photos, Fredericton.

The NBMHM is missing two significant items from its collection of Canadian small arms, the Boys Anti-Tank Rifle and a Portable Infantry Anti-Tank (PIAT) projector:

Soldier of the Highland Light Infantry of Canada, who is armed with a Boys anti-tank rifle, taking part in a training exercise, Bognor Regis, England, 7 April 1942.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3593048)

Parachute-qualified soldier, who is armed with a PIAT anti-tank weapon, undertaking winter infantry training at A-35 Canadian Parachute Training Centre (Canadian Army Training Centres and Schools), Camp Shilo, Manitoba, Canada, 20 March 1945.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3592070)

NBMHM Tanks, Armoured Fighting Vehicles and Transport Vehicles

Universal Carrier, Museum Park, being restored.

White M3 Halftrack Armoured Personnel Carrier, Reg. No. CZ4036146, this vehicle is a runner, Museum Park.  Donated by the RNBR, Edmundston.

Centurion Main Battle Tank Mk 5, 20-pounder Gun, CFR 53-81032, Museum Park

Centurion AVBL, Champlain Ave, East of the Medical Centre.

Centurion ARV, CFR 54-81334, Museum Park.

M113A2 Armoured Personnel Carrier, CFR 66-35387, Museum Park.  This APC is a runner.

 

US M113A2 Armoured Personnel Carrier APC, US Army Serial No. MSJ 18316MA, version, UN markings, Museum Park.

 

 

US M113A2 Armoured Personnel Carrier APC, US Army Serial No. MSJ 20156, A-85, 31, Museum Park.

 

M577 Command Post (CP), CFR 66-35530, Museum Park.

M548A1CDN Cargo Carrier, CFR 66-35457, Museum Park.

M578A1CDN Light Recovery Vehicle, CFR 96-30583.

M113 C & R Lynx, CFR 67-35885, Museum Park.  This Lynx is a runner.

M113 C & R Lynx, CFR 67-35916, E11A, New Brunswick Military History Museum, on Bailey Bridge section, outside the North Gate.

Ferret Scout Car Mk 1, CFR 54-82592, Museum Park. 

AVGP Grizzly, CFR 78-37252, Museum Park.

AVGP Cougar, CFR 78-37368, Museum Park.

AVGP Husky, CFR 78-37557, Museum Park.

Logistics Vehicles

The NBMHM holds a number of Logistics vehicles in its vehicle park.

Dodge M37 (G-741) ¾-ton 4 X 4 Truck, 4 Camadian Mechanized Brigade group crossing the Danube River by ferry, Ex Gross Rochade, Bavaria, Germany, Sep 1975.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4748893)

Dodge M37 (G-741) ¾-ton 4 X 4 Truck, No. 1 of 2, NBMHM vehicle park.

Dodge M37 (G-741) ¾-ton 4 X 4 Truck, No. 2 of 2, restoration project, NBMHM storage compound.

Dodge M37CDN (G-741) ¾-ton 4 X 4 Truck

The Dodge M37 (G-741) is a three-quarter ton four-wheel drive truck which saw service with the Canadian Army from the early 1950s to the end of the Cold War, was in service in many variants which included configurations as: the M42 command truck, V41 telephone maintenance vehicle, M43 ambulance, M152 Canadian modified enclosed utility truck, and R2 air field fire engine.  The straight-six cylinder engine was derived from a 1930s era passenger vehicle engine that was widely produced.  Canadian trucks used the Canadian Acme Model T-98, a stronger, more reliable transmission Approximately 4,500 Canadian M37CDNs were also produced between 1951 and 1955.

 

Truck, Chevrolet 1-1/4 ton 1976 Cargo, CFR No. 98084, 89C, No. 1 of 2, New Brunswick Military History Museum storage compound.

Truck, Chevrolet 1-1/4 ton 1976 Cargo, No. 2 of 2, New Brunswick Military History Museum Park.

Chevrolet 1-1/4-ton 1976 Cargo Truck

The Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle (CUCV) is a Light Utility Vehicle based on a civilian truck.  It was originally intended to augment the Jeeps in service that were approaching the end of their service life in the mid-1970s.  Initially, Dodge W/D series trucks were provided in the late 1970s with several military modifications.  In the mid-1980s, Chevrolet C/Ks replaced the Dodge vehicles.  GM CUCVs were heavily redesigned in 2000 and their name was changed to Light Service Support Vehicle (LSSV).  These vehicles were purchased to provide support for the Canadian Army in the field in the form of light cargo transport, troop transport, first aid, and communications.  CUCVs are not built for direct frontline combat use, as evident by their lack of bulletproofing and protection from ordnance.  Like many of the vehicle parts, the windshield, cabin glass, and body panels are civilian-grade and offer no protection from firearms or explosives.

Truck, 2-1/2 ton, Cargo, CFR No. 54688, No. 1 of 2,  New Brunswick Military History Museum storage compound.

Truck, 2-1/2 ton, Cargo with winch, CFR No. 56-54139, 7, No. 2 of 2,  New Brunswick Military History Museum Park.

M135 2-1/2 ton Cargo Truck

The M135 is a 2-1/2 ton six-wheel cargo truck made by General Motors Corporation (GMC).  It is often referred to as a "Deuce-and-a-half".   This vehicle has a number of variations, the most common being the cargo version.  It could carry a dozen troops or a variety of equipment and supplies. The truck was powered by a GMC 270 gas engine. All Canadian models of the truck had a 5 speed hydromatic transmission with two high gears, two low gears and a reverse gear.  The M135 was one of the first automatic transmissions available at the time. A few models were equipped with a PTO (power take off) which powered a winch located on the front bumper.  The NBMHM has two in its collection.

Truck, 5-ton M62 Wrecker, CFR No. 55-60293, on display in front of 3 Area Support Group Technical Services Branch, Maintenance Company HQ.

Truck, 5-ton M62 Wrecker, CFR No. 55-60293, on display in the NBMHM tank park.

M62 5-ton Wrecker Truck

The M62 5-ton Wrecker is part of the G-744 (M-39) series of 5-ton 6 x 6 trucks.  It was produced from 1951 to 1957.  The M62 had a 179-inch wheelbase. Mounted on the rear of the chassis was a hydraulic crane and winch assembly built by Austin Western.  The M62 had a 45,000-lb capacity rear recovery winch.  In addition to the rear winch, a front-mounted, 20,000-lb capacity self-recovery winch is also mounted.  Both the front and rear winches were mechanically driven by power take-offs from the truck's engine.  The hydraulically-powered crane could be extended out from 10- to 18-ft and could lift loads up to 20,000-lbs.  The M62 is powered by a Continental R6602, 6-cylinder, gasoline, 224-hp engine.  It had a fuel range of 200-miles (321-km) and a top speed of 52-mph (83-km/h).  One is on display in the NBMHM tank park.

M328 5-ton Body-Stake, Bridge Transporting Truck Model R-6602, NBMHM Park. 

M328 5-ton Bridge Transport Truck

The M328A1 5-ton bridge transport truck is a variant of the M39 series of military heavy cargo trucks.  It had an extra long cargo bed designed to carry portable bridge sections.  It is rated for five-ton (4536 kg) off-road cargo loads and ten-tons (9718 kg) highway.  One is on display in the NBMHM tank park.

Truck, M54 5-ton, Cargo, New Brunswick Military History Museum, storage compound.

M54 5-ton Cargo Truck 

The M54 5-ton transport truck is a variant of the M39 series of military heavy cargo trucks.  It had an extra long cargo bed.  It is rated for five-ton (4536 kg) off-road cargo loads and ten-tons (9718 kg) highway.  One is on display in the NBMHM tank park.

M817 5-ton Heavy Duty Dump Truck, CFR No. 62-07093, No. 1 of 2, gas fueled, one is diesel fueled.  Museum Park. 

The M809 series truck (G908) was a family of 6x6 tactical trucks built for the United States Armed Forces.  The basic cargo version was designed to transport a 5-ton (4,536 kg), 7 ft (2.1 m) wide, and 14 ft (4.3 m) long cargo load off-road in all weather.  In on-road service the load weight was approximately doubled.  Built by AM General, the M817 was the dump truck variant.

M817 5-ton Heavy Duty Dump Truck, CFR 75-23680, No. 2 of 2, diesel fueled, NBMHM park. 

Iltis ¼- ton Truck, CFR No. 87258, No. 1 of 2, Museum Park.

Iltis ¼- ton Truck, CFR No. 86166, No. 2 of 2, NBMHM storage compound.

Cargo trailer, 3/4 M101T.  Storage compound.

106-mm M40A1 Recoilless Anti-Tank Gun on M38 A1 CAN3 2¼ -ton 4 X 4 Jeep, inside the museum.

M38 A1 CAN 2¼ -ton 4 X 4 Jeep

The Willys M38 Jeep, also known as the Willys MC, was a 1/4 ton 4 × 4 utility truck manufactured between 1949 and 1952 with a total production of more than 60,000 units.  The M38 was military version of the then-current civilian Jeep CJ-3A.  The M38 differed from the CJ-3A in numerous ways, including a reinforced frame and suspension, waterproof 24-volt electrical system, sealed vent system for the engine, transmission, transfer case, fuel system and brake system. 

Approximately 2,300 M38 Jeeps were manufactured by Ford of Canada for Canadian Armed Forces in 1952, designated as the M38-CDN jeep.  The M38 windshield could be folded flat for firing and the body was equipped with a pintle hook for towing and lifting shackles front and rear.  The headlights were no longer recessed as on previous models, but protruded with a guard wire in front. The "pioneer" tools (axe and shovel) which were carried on the MB's driver side were transferred to the passenger side of this vehicle.

106-mm M40 Recoilless Rifle

The M40 recoilless rifle was a lightweight, portable, crew-served 105-mm weapon intended primarily as an anti-tank weapon made in the United States.   It could also be employed in an antipersonnel role with the use of the antipersonnel-tracer flechette round.  It can be fired primarily from a wheeled ground mount.  The air-cooled, breech-loaded, single-shot rifle fired fixed ammunition.  It was designed for direct firing only, and sighting equipment for this purpose was furnished with each weapon.

The whole M40 mounting can be placed on an M151 Jeep for mobile use, which is how they were employed in the Canadian Army.  112 were in service with the Canadian Army Regular Force from the mid-1950s until they were transferred to the Reserves in 1976 with the introduction of the TOW System.  The M40 was in use with the Reserves until they were replaced by the M2CG Carl Gustav 84-mm man-portable reusable multi-role recoilless rifle.

US M-151 Truck, Utility, 1/4-ton, 4 X 4 Jeep (G838), AM (General Corp), MUTT, NBMHM storage compound.

RG-31 Nyala Armoured Patrol Vehicle, CFR No. 87051, 4 Engineer Support Regiment storage compound, 5 CDSB Gagetown.  A vehicle similar to this one will be on display in the NBMHM Park.

RG-31 Nyala Armoured Patrol Vehicle

The RG-31 Armoured Patrol Vehicle (APV) is a 4 x 4 wheeled multi-purpose mine-protected armoured personnel carrier and patrol vehicle.  Manufactured in South Africa by Land Systems OMC, it is based on the Mamba APC.  The Nyala is designed to provide a high level of protection for troops while they conduct patrols, command and liaison, and reconnaissance tasks in complex urban and mountainous terrain.  Canada has  75 X RG-31 Mk 3 equipped with Protector M151 Remote Weapon Stations.

The RG-31 is built from a V-shaped all-steel welded armour monocoque hull and high suspension, typical of South African mine protected vehicles, providing excellent small-arms and mine blast protection.  The vehicle is designed to resist a blast equivalent to two TM-57 anti-tank mines detonating simultaneously.  The vehicle accommodates a crew of 8 or 10, including the driver, depending on model.  Dismounting is provided via a large rear door and two front doors.

Welbike lightweight motorcycle, Airborne Forces, Builford, England, 5 Jan 1944.  Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3298166)

Welbike Airborne folding motorcycle, inside the museum.  The Welbike motorcycle was used by Canadian Airborne forces during the Second World War.  The Welbike has the distinction of being the smallest motorcycle ever used by Commonwealth Armed Forces.  Between 1942 and 1943, 3,641 units (plus a prototype and some pilot models) were built.  A few were used by the British 1st and 6th Airborne Divisions and some were used at Arnhem during Operation Market Garden in the fall of 1944.

Triumph Motorcycle, No. 532176, post-war model.

M38A1 CDN3 Jeep with a 106-mm M40A1 Recoilless Anti-Tank Gun.  This vehicle is currently in storage.

Russian T-72 Main Battle Tank, 125-mm Gun, Museum Park.

Russian 57-mm ASU-57 SP Gun, Museum Park.

Russian AT-S/T Artillery Tractor, Museum Park.

Russian BTR-152 APC, Museum Park.

Russian BRDM-2 Combat Reconnaisance Vehicle, NBMHM.  It is armed with a 14.5-mm KPVT heavy machine gun with a coaxial 7.62-mm PKT general purpose machine gun as a secondary weapon both in a small conical BPU-1 turret mounted on the hull in a central position above the belly wheels.  Museum Park

NBMHM Artillery

SBML 12-pounder Carronade mounted on a wooden carriage, indoors.

RML 9-pounder 8-cwt Gun mounted on a wooden carriage, indoors.

Oerlikon 20-mm AA Gun (Serial No. 72292), inside the museum. 

Hispano-Suiza 20-mm AA Cannon, inside the museum.

German Second World War Madsen 20-mm AA Machine Cannon M/38, inside the museum.  (Danish Gun).

Ordnance QF 40-mm Bofors AA Gun in a Naval gun mount, 1945, outside the front entrance of the museum.  This Bofors came from HMCS Bonaventure, Canada’s last Aircraft carrier.

90-mm M1A1 AA Gun with wheeled carriage, South Gate.

90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, inside Main Gate.

C1A1 105-mm M2A1 Howitzer, (Serial No. 13166), 1945, weight 1,060 lbs, in front of the museum.

L5 105-mm Pack Howitzer, (Serial No. 37656).  Sgt’s and WO’s Mess.

L5 105-mm Pack Howitzer, (Serial No. 57---), inside the Main Gate.

Howitzer, Medium, Towed, 155-mm, C1, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR 00-34411.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA 1955, REG. NO. CDN 2, INSP (symbol).  This gun is located outside the Main Gate.

M109A4 155-mm Self-propelled Howitzer, CFR 85-77247, currently located in the Equipment Fielding Coordination Centre Compound.

Ordnance BL 5.5-inch Medium Gun, Canadian Gunners, 2nd Medium Regiment, RCA, Netherlands, 2 Apr 1945.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3209132)

Ordnance BL 5.5-inch Medium Gun, Serial No. CA1089, replacement barrel newly arrived, this gun is to be restored, Museum Park.

German Second World War 17-cm Kanone 18 in Mörserlafette.  This gun came to the USA from Europe in 1944 and was shipped to Canada from Aberdeen, Maryland in the USA on 3 Mar 1945, along with a new spare barrel.  It was located in the Munitions Experimental Test Centre (CEEM), until it was transferred to the NBMHM, CFB Gagetown, on 4 Dec 2012.

Italian 75-mm Cannone da 75/27 modello 06 Field Gun, Museum Park.  This gun was shipped from the Mediterranean Theatre in 1944 to Halifax, then went to the CWM and then to CFB Gagetown.

Japanese 70-mm Type 92 Battalion Gun, inside museum.  This gun is on loan from the RCA Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba.

CFB Gagetown, Armour School, Combat Training Centre

 

 

M4A2E8 HVSS Sherman Medium Tank, 76-mm Gun, (Serial No. 65038), built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30123017, “Fox”, painted DND 78-980, outside the Main Gate.

M4A2E8 HVSS Sherman Medium Tank, CFR 78-980, 76-mm Gun, (Serial No. 1080E), “Addy”, West of Bldg J-7.

Centurion Main Battle Tank Mk. 5, CFR 52-31201, 20-pounder main gun, on display on Tilley Ave., Southeast of the Base Medical Centre.

Centurion Main Battle Tank Mk. 5/2, CFR 53-81201, L7 105-mm Gun, “Worthy”, West of Bldg J-7.

Leopard C1 Main Battle Tank, CFR unknown, 105-mm Gun, “Nixon”, West of Bldg J-7. 

M113 C & R Lynx, CFR unknown, CR2-147, “Radley-Walters”, West of Bldg J-7.

M113 C & R Lynx, CFR 67-35953, CR2-5, under a tarp in the K17 Armour School training compound South of Bldg J-7.

AVGP Cougar, L-137-F-J79, in the K17 Armour School training compound South of Bldg J-7.

 

Ferret Scout Car Mk I, CFR 54-82592, standing on a section of Bailey Bridge, Champlain Ave West of the Carleton Barracks Officer’s Mess.

Ferret Scout Car Mk I, previously painted all white, (Serial No. UNEF 1598), now painted with a dark green camouflage colour scheme, K17 Armour School training compound South of Bldg J-7. 

CFB Gagetown, Infantry School, Combat Training Centre

Cougar AVGP, west side of the bldg.

M113 APC, west side of the bldg.

CFB Gagetown, The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery School, Bldg J7.

SBML ½-pounder Gun, weight TBC, mounted on a wood carriage, inside the school.  Presented to the Artillery School by LCol J.D.E. Crossman, 13 Aug 1978, and restored in 2004.

BL 12-pounder 6-cwt Gun, weight 6-0-9 (681 lbs), made by Armstrong, mounted on a wheeled carriage, Queen Victoria cypher, inside the school.  No. 136, RGF 1898, 12 pdr 6 cwt on right trunnion.  RCD 1910 on right wheel hub, RCD 1896 on left wheel hub as well as 628470.  No. 20 on the carriage box trail.  1307024 on the breech.

Three of these guns were recorded as on strength in with 90 Field Battery, Fredericton in 1933: Reg. No. 285, RGF 01, carriage OCM; RGF No. 286, carriage OCM; and Reg. No. 200, RGF 01, carriage OCM).

U.S. Model 1905 3-inch field gun, (Serial No. 309), built by Bethlehem Steel, 1914.  This gun is one of 477 produced by three diferrent makers prior to the First World War.  The gun is mounted on a Model 1902 field carriage (Serial No. 548), built by Rock Island Arsenal, 1917.  It is accompanied by a Model 1916 Limber.  This gun was presented to the Royal Canadian School of Artillery by the United States Army Artillery and Missile School, 7 November 1961.

Limber (Serial No. 1890), 3-inch Gun Caisson, Model of 1916, Rock Island Arsenal, 1918.  This limber was made in Illinois.  The Rock Island Arsenal was the traditional builder of U.S. Army field carriages, limbers, and caissons.  The number of Model 1902 carriages built exceeds that of the Model 1905, because the Models 1902, 1904, and 1905 3-inch guns were all mounted on the Model 1902 field carriage.  In 1918 the year the First World War ended, the U.S. Army was still being provided with 3-inch ordnance matériel, whereas the American units sent overseas used only French 75-mm Guns.

U.S. Model 1917 75-mm field gun (British), Bethlehem Steel Coy, 1912, 995 Pounds, (Serial No. 489) on the muzzle.  This gun is mounted on a 75-mm Gun Carriage Model of 1917 (British), Bethlehem Steel Company, 1918, (Serial No. 2079), MMC, according to the builder's plate on the carriage.  This gun is on loan from the RCA Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba, and is on display in the RRCAS.

81-mm Mortar, inside the RRCAS.

American 4.2-inch Mortar on M24 Mount, Rock Island Arsenal, 1952, inside the RRCAS.

Ordnance QF 25-pounder Gun, in front of the main entrance to the school.

Ordnance QF 25-pounder Gun with funeral carriage mounted, inside the school.

Limber for QF 25-pounder.

American M116 75-mm Pack Howitzer M1A1 (Serial No. 3063), Arsenal No. 5024, nside the school.  This gun is on loan from the RCA Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba.

Howitzer, Pack, 105-mm, L5, inside the school.

120-mm Mortar with wheeled flat base plate and 1941 Canadian tires, outside K lines.

German/French Second World War Hotchkiss 25-mm AT Gun, (Serial No. 2206), stamped APX 1940, G 25, SAL 1937, outside the school’s K lines.

Russian 85-mm D-44 Divisional Gun, outside the school’s K lines.

Blowpipe launcher and Missile, inside the school.

Javelin launcher, inside the RRCAS.

C1A1 105-mm M2A2 Howitzer, (Reg. No. 15062), outside the Artillery School’s K lines.

M109 155-mm Self-propelled Howitzer, (Reg. No. 77240), 1985, AC: NX, ECC: 119205 HUI C: 1760, SAUI C: 1760, VMO No. DLE21801, VMO Date: 24 Jul 2005.  Display Monument.

4th Artillery Regiment (General Support), 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown

Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL 3-pounder Semi-Automatic QF Gun, plaque Patent No. 453702, dated 9th June 1891, plate USN Vickers Sons & Maxim London 3-pounder VI No. 531, 1901, 35466, 4616, No. 1 in front of the 4th Artillery Regiment (General Support), Headquarters, main entrance.

Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL 3-pounder Semi-Automatic QF Gun, stamped Vickers Sons & Maxim LL 3 pdr Autom.  QF, No. 4615. 1901.  Mk VII. No. 2 in front of the 4th Artillery Regiment (General Support), Headquarters, main entrance.

Ordnance QF 40-mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft Gun, 4th Artillery Regiment (General Support), Headquarters, west entrance.

90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, inside the vehicle compound, 4th Artillery Regiment (General Support), 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick.

Oerlikon 35-mm Twin Cannon, inside the 4 vehicle compound, 4th Artillery Regiment (General Support), 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick.

Skyguard Radar System, inside the vehicle compound, 4th Artillery Regiment (General Support), 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick.

Canadian Military Engineering Museum, Mitchell Building, (J-10), CFB/ASG Gagetown, Oromocto, New Brunswick, E2V 4J5.  506-422-2000, ext 1897  cmemuseum@forces.gc.caCME.research@sympatico.ca.  Website: http://www.cmemuseum.ca/.  Curator: Sandra Johnson Penny.

The museum holds an excellent collection of Canadian, Allied and foreign small arms:

Vickers .303-inch machine gun.

The museum holds two German Second World War wooden “shoe box” mines.

German Great War small arms

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim MG 08 (MG 08/15), (Serial No. 3273), no data.  It was originally allocated to East Kildonan, Manitoba. 

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim MG 08 (MG 08/15), (Serial No. 5418), captured by the 8th Battalion at Hatchet Wood, North of Beaufort, France on 9 August 1918.  It was originally allocated to the PPCLI, Esquimalt, British Columbia. 

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim MG 08 (MG 08/15), (Serial No. 9429), no data.  It was originally allocated to Trail, British Columbia. 

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim MG 08 (MG 08/15), (Serial No. 2736), was captured by the 2nd Battalion on the Arras-Cambrai Road, Northwest of Raillencourt, France.  No allocation specified, possibly, British Columbia.  MG 08/15 (Serial No. 4283), captured by the 72nd Battalion at the Crossroads on the North edge of Champ de Manoeuvres-Valenciennes, France on 2 November 1918.  It was originally allocated to Chilliwack, British Columbia.

7.65-mm Dreyse M1907 semi-automatic pistol.

7.63-mm Mauser M1916 Broomhandle semi-automatic pistols (one of two, with wooden shouoder stock).

2.65-cm Hebel Model 1894 flare guns (three).

German Great War "Pickelhaube" dress helmets (three).

German Second World War small arms

9-mm FN-Browning 626(b) 1922 semi-automatic pistol.

9-mm FN-Browning 1935 High Power P640b semi-automatic pistols (two).

7.65-mm CZ vz. 27 semi-automatic pistol.

9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol.

7.65-mm Mauser HSc semi-automatic pistol.

7.65-mm Walther 4 semi-automatic pistol.

9-mm Walther P38 semi-automatic pistol.

26.5-mm Erma-Erfurt Kampfpistole Z Model 1938 flare gun.

26.5-mm Walther SLD Doppelschuss (Double Barrel) Naval flare gun.

7.92-mm Mauser Kar 98K bolt action rifle.

7.92-mm MP 40 sub-machine guns (one of two). 

German Naval Officer’s dagger. 

Italian small arms

9-mm Beretta 1916 semi-automatic pistol.

9-mm Beretta M1934 semi-automatic pistol.

Italian Officer's dagger.

The most unusual item in the CFSME Museum collection is a German Special Issue Officer’s forage cap made for the Victory March into London (which of course never took place).

D-7 Caterpillar Dozer mounted on a section of Bailey Bridge, mounted beside the Candian Forces School of Military Engineering, CFB Gagetown

Aardvark Mineclearance Vehicle, located in the heavy equipment section in the  Engineer Lines.

Leopard Biber AVBL, located in the Equipment Fielding Coordination Centre compound.

Wheel mounted towed router type 1, located in front of the Engineer heavy equipment compound.

CFB Gagetown, Aviation displays

Bell CH-136 Kiowa Helicopter, (Serial No. 136216), mounted on a pylon at the main entrance to the base in 403 Squadron markings.

Canadair CL-13 Sabre Mk. 6, (Serial No. 23292), wreckage, vertical fin and landing gear stored behind the NBMHM.

Avro CF-100 Canuck, 814B, being restored by 403 Squadron.

McDonnell CF-101 Voodoo, 046, being restored by 403 Sqn.

Perth-Andover

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial No. 4095), no data, Fr.Kp., 5012.  M.  Kp., 4598.  S.  BNA 18.  This guns stands on a hill overlooking Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 36, facing the Saint John River.

Riverview

Centurion Main Battle Tank, 20-pounder Gun, 8 CH, Casley Park, Bradford Road.

Kennebeccasis

Ordnance QF 6-pounder Anti-Tank Gun, Kennebeccasis Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 58, 61 Marr Road.

Sackville

Ferret Scout Car, Memorial Park.

Shipegan

Two unidentifed SBML Guns (TBC).

St. Andrews by the Sea

 

SBML 18-pounder Gun, weight 41-1-24 (4,644 lbs), King George III cypher, ca. 1760-1780, mounted on a long wood traversing gun carriage, St. Andrews Block House National Historic site, Joe’s Point Road.  No. 3.

SBML 18-pounder Gun, weight 40-2-17 (4,553 lbs), King George III cypher,  ca. 1760-1780, mounted on a long wood traversing gun carriage, St. Andrews  Block House National Historic site.  No. 2.

SBML 18-pounder Gun, weight (4,000+ lbs), King George III cypher, ca. 1760-1780, mounted on a long wood traversing gun carriage, St. Andrews Block House National Historic site.  No. 1.

SBML 2-pounder Gun, weight 2-3-25 (333 lbs), BP & Co., Block House National Historic site.

Blomefield SBML 24-pounder 50-cwt Gun, weight 50-0-14 (5,614 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, ca. 1800-1820, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, facing the waterfront across from the Town Hall.  No. 1.

Blomefield SBML 24-pounder 50-cwt Gun, weight 50-0-14 (5,614 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, facing the waterfront across from the Town Hall.  No. 2.

St. George

SBML 4-pounder Guns (two), ca. 19th century, weight 12-2-26 (1,426 lbs), Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 40.

Saint John, New Brunswick Museum, Market Square, 277 Douglas Avenue, Saint John, New Brunswick, E2L 4Z6.  506-643-2300.  nbmuseum@nbm-mnb.ca.  Website: http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/.

German Great War Small Arms

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim schweres Maschinen Gewehr 08 (MG 08) ) heavy machine gun. 

7.92-mm Spandau Maxim leichtes Maschinen Gewehr 08/15 (MG 08/15) light machine gun, (Serial No. X510), marked Nurnberg 1918, with stand, “Captured by 50…4th Canadian Division” painted on the side. 

The NBM holds a second 7.92-mm Spandau Maxim leichtes MG 08/15. 

7.92-mm Gewehr 98 Mauser Rifle stamped Danzig 1904, collected by Arthur Cleveland Kelly, 5th Battalion, at Vimy Ridge.

7.65-mm Mauser Erfurt semi-automatic pistol 1913, brought back by Lieutenant J.G. McKnight, MC, 26th Battalion, and, (Artifact No. 2005.11.4). 

9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol, (Artifact No. 2005.11.3.1), brought back by Lieutenant J.G. McKnight, MC. 

9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol, (Artifact No. 1978.28.2) found in France during the Great War. 

9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol, (Artifact No. 1979.51.3), Amnesty donation. 

9-mm Luger P08, Lange Pistol 32-cm long-barreled artillery model, (Artifact No. 1979.51.3). 

Pioneer Bayonet.

9-mm snail-drum magazine and loading mechanism used with the artillery model Luger P08. 

7.63-mm Mauser Broomhandle M1916 semi-automatic pistol with wooden stock/holster, brought back by C.H. Cochrane, RCA, (Artifact No. 1957.84). 

7.63-mm Mauser Broomhandle M1916 semi-automatic pistol, brought back by Lieutenant J.R. McKnight, MC, 26th Battalion, 1919, (Artifact No. 2005.11.2.1). 

7.65-mm Mauser 34 semi-automatic pistol, Amnesty donation, (Artifact No. 1979.51.4).

Granatenwerfer 16 (grenade thrower).

German Cavalry Officer`s sword, (Artifact No. 1-15398). 

Iron Cross EKII, 1914, (two) brought back by William Harris Sr, 26th Battalion, (Artifact No. 1967.102.6.1 and Artifact No. 1971.29. 

Iron Cross EKII, 1914, Byng Boys Club, (Artifact No. 2004.30.38.2 and Artifact No. 2004.30.56.2). 

Iron Cross EKII, 1914, brought back by E.M. Slader, (Artifact No. 14069.2).  Iron Cross EKII, 1914, (Artifact No. 1969.119.7).

German Second World War Small Arms

9-mm Luger P08 semi-automatic pistol, 1940, (Serial No. 9414), acquired from a German Captain taken as a PW in March 1945 by Trooper Cunningham and a group of 8th Princess Louise’s (New Brunswick) Hussars in Holland, complete with the original leather holster, spare magazine and maintenance tool, (Artifact No. 1994.14).  

A rare 7.65-mm Luger P08, marked Germany (for export), (Artifact No. 1961.71). 

9-mm Luger P08 pistol (Artifact No. 1979.51.3). 

9-mm Walther P38 semi-automatic pistol, 1943, (Artifact No. 1962.104). 

7.65 Sauer 8-shot semi-automatic pistol (Serial No. 367955) with leather holster, J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl, presented to donor McDonald in Holland, stored in a Canadian Army water-proof pouch (Artifact No. 1994.6.4).

7.65-mm Mauser 34 semi-automatic pistol (two).

26.5-mm Walther Leuchtpistole 34 (LP34) Flare Gun.

9-mm MP 40 Submachine-gun, found by donor A.H. Bishop at Eindhoven, Holland in 1944 (Artifact No. 1967.5). 

7.92-mm Sturmgewehr 43/44 (StG44, MP 43, MP 44) Assault Rifle (on loan to the NBMHM). 

7.62-mm MG 81 twin-barrel Anti-Aircraft machine gun, (Serial No. X5733), (Artifact No. 308-8-7).

1st Model Luftwaffe (Air Force) Dagger 1934/35, brought back by Norman Palmer, Support Company, Carleton and York Regiment, from Holland in 1945 (Artifact No. 1958.21).  

Iron Cross EKII, 1939, bought back by Captain Philip Oland, RCA, (Artifact No. 1997.33.337).  Iron Cross EKII, 1939, (Artifact No. 1950.5).  Iron Cross EKII, 1939, (Artifact No. 1950.6). 

General Officer`s SS Medal, (Artifact No. 1957.24.1), SS Decoration for Faithful Service (Artifact No. 1957.25.1), SS Decoration for Faithful Service 2nd Class (Artifact No. 1957.26.2) and Medal awarded for Bravery and Merit for the Eastern People, (Artifact No. 1957.42.2) and 2nd Class version (Artifact No. 1957.43.2) all donated by George Burren, Lancashire, UK.  Medal awarded for the Winter Campaign, 1941-42, (Artifact No. 1950.6.2).  Afrikakorps Medal, brought back by Harold Chase, 2nd Medium Regiment, RCA, (Artifact No. 1969.119.2.1).

Luftwaffe flag said to have been taken at Wilhelmshaven, Germany in 1945, (Artifact No. 1963.13).  Three large format Nazi battle flags, including one captured by the North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment.

Japanese Small Arms

7.7-mm Nambu Type 99 light machine gun, recovered from the Aleutian Islands.

Dr. Wallace Rupert Turnbull Exhibit.

Saint John

Blomefield SBML 32-pounder 56-cwt Gun, weight 56-3-3 (6,359 lbs) under the cascabel, (Serial No. TBC, CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, CV, mounted on a concrete stand, Fernhill Cemetery Naval Memorial, No. 2, East Gun.  This gun came from the Red Head Battery. 

Blomefield SBML 32-pounder 56-cwt Gun, weight 56-3-4 (6,360 lbs), under the cascabel, (Serial No. 70744 (TBC), CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, CV, mounted on a concrete stand, Fernhill Cemetery Naval Memorial, No. 1, West Gun.  This gun also came from the Red Head Battery.

SBML 3-pounder brass Gun, weight 3-0-1 (337 lbs), J & H (John & Henry) King, 1799, Carleton Martello Tower (now with Fort Beauséjour).

SBML 3-pounder brass Gun, stamped J & H King, 1800, Carleton Martello Tower (now with Fort Beauséjour).

BL 6-inch H.E.D.C.  Mk II Gun, HMCS Niobe, HMCS Brunswicker.

BL 6-inch H.E.D.C.  Mk II Gun, HMCS Niobe, 3 Field Regiment Armoury.

6-inch BL 26-cwt Howitzer Mk. I Gun, Reg No. 3237, manufactured at Vickers, Sons and Maxim (VSM) in 1918.  It was mounted on carriage No. C2294.  The current serial number for the carriage cannot be clarified, but could be C2285, CA920 or C332845, The gun has been on display beside the Fort Howe Block House overlooking the harbour of Saint John, but is currently being refurbished.  The gun was dedicated in 1974 by the Artillery Association. 

SBML iron Guns, severely corroded, no markings preserved, mounted on wooden stands, Fort Howe Block House.

Ordnance QF 25-pounder Guns (two), Cedar Hill Cemetery on Manawagonish Road.

Ordnance QF 40-mm Bofors AA Gun, St. Joseph’s Cemetery. 

C2 105-mm Howitzer M101/33, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment Armoury.

BL 5.5-inch Howitzer, Jervis Bay Park.

Saint John Yacht Club

RML 9-pounder 8-cwt Gun, Royal Kennebecassis Yacht Club, 1042 Millidge Ave.

Blomefield SBML 3-pounder mounted on a wood stand.

Saint-Quentin

M113 APC, Field Ambulance (Serial No. SJ12816), beside the war memorial and library.

St Stephen

 

 

Howitzer, Medium, Towed, 155-mm, C1, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR TBC.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (1955), REG. NO. CDN 10 INSP (symbol).   The breech block reads: HOWITZER 155MM M1A1 CDN, CANADA, SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD, Date TBC, 3730 LBS, INSP (symbol).  This gun is located at the corner of Church St and Queens Way across from the Milltown War Memorial, several km North of St Stephen town centre.

 

Sussex, 8th Hussars Regimental Museum, 66 Broad Street, Unit 3, Sussex, New Brunswick, E4E 5S2.  506-433-5226.  hussarssussex@nb.aibn.com.  Tom McLaughlin, Curator.  Website: http://8chassociation.com/Museum.html.

Sussex

Blomefield SBML 32-pounder 56-cwt Gun, weight and maker corroded, mounted on a wooden carriage, No. 1 of 2 in front of the Royal Canadian Legion.

Blomefield SBML 32-pounder 56-cwt Gun, weight and maker corroded, mounted on a wooden carriage, No. 2 of 2 in front of the Royal Canadian Legion.

M4A2E8 HVSS Sherman Medium Tank, 76-mm Gun, “Balaclava”, BGen Milton Gregg VC Armoury, Leonard Drive.

Cougar AVGP, No. 1 of 2, BGen Milton Gregg VC Armoury, Leonard Drive.

Cougar AVGP, N. 2 of 2, BGen Milton Gregg VC Armoury, Leonard Drive.

Ferret Scout Car, CFR 82583, BGen Milton Gregg VC Armoury, Leonard Drive.

Woodstock

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial No. 2398), no data.  Being restored inside the 89th Field Battery Armoury.

90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, Connell Park.  This gun has been moved to a private site for restoration.