Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
German Warplanes flown by the Luftwaffe 1939-1945, Gotha to Siebel

German Warplanes flown by the Luftwaffe 1939-1945, Gotha to Siebel

During and after the end of the Second War a number of German Warplanes were captured and evaluated by the Allied forces.  Most of these aircraft were later scrapped and therefore only a handful have survived.  This is a partial list of aircraft that were known to have been collected, with a few photos of the German aircraft in RAF, USAAF and Soviet Air Force markings from the time of their capture.  Survivors where known are included along with a few photos of them in museums where found.

Data current to 19 May 2019.

Gotha Go 145 biplane, RP+NR.  (Edgar Diegan Photo)

Gotha Go 145B, (Wk. Nr. 1115), trainer, SM+NQ from Stab/JG27.  Originally assigned to Stab/JG 27 as SM+NQ, this aircraft was being flown by Uffz. Leonhard Buckle when it force-landed, after getting lost and running out of fuel, during a mail delivery flight from Cherbourg-Ouest to Strasbourg on 28 August 1940.  Three days later, 1115 was flown to the Royal Aircraft Establishment, receiving RAF markings, including it's new serial of RAF BV207.  Flown to Ashton Down in January 1941, the aircraft ended it's career as maintenance airframe 2682M with 20 MU.  RAF BV207 was struck off charge (SoC) in April 1942, and was presumably scrapped.  (RAF Photos)

Gotha Go 146, 1935 twin-engine transport (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Gotha Go 147 STOL reconnaissance (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Gotha Go 242 transport glider in Luftwaffe service.   (Luftwaffe Photos)

Gotha Go 242B-4, (Wk. Nr. unknown), troop-carrying transport glider rebuilt from the remains of a badly damaged example captured in Italy with parts of other Go 242s.  Shipped to the USA, it was reassembled at Clinton County Army Air Field near Wright Field, Ohio.  Named "The Fabric Fortress", it was rebuilt in Texas and then returned to Wright Field where it was flight tested in July 1946 as USA FE-2700, later T2-2700.  It was likely scrapped at Park Ridge.  (USAAF Photos)

Gotha Go 244, transport glider in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Gotha Go 345, assault glider (prototype).

Gotha Ka 430, transport glider (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel HD 37 fighter biplane (used only by Soviets).  (SDA&SM Photo)

Heinkel HD 38 fighter biplane/floatplane.  (SDA&SM Photo)

Heinkel HD 43 fighter biplane (prototype).  (SDA&SM Photo)

Heinkel He 45, bomber/trainer in Spain, ca 1939.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 46, reconnaissance.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 49 fighter biplane (prototype).  (SDA&SM Photos)

Heinkel He 50, reconnaissance/dive bomber biplane.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 51B-1, fighter/close-support biplane captured by Spanish Republicans in Spain and shipped to the USSR, shown here in Soviet markings at the NII-VVS.  This aircraft had been flown by the Condor Legion for the Spanish Nationalists.  The Soviets test flew several German military aircraft brought from Spain for examination in 1937-1938.  The aircraft tested by the Soviet Air Forces Scientific Research Institute specialists included the  He 51B and Bf 109 fighters, as well as Ju 52, Ju 86, and He 111 bombers.  (Soviet Air Force Photo)

Heinkel He 51B, Bulgarian Air Force.  (Bulgarian Air Force Photo)

Heinkel He 51L, reconnaissance/dive bomber biplane.  (Edgar Diegan Photo)

Heinkel He 59, biplane reconnaissance seaplane.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 60, ship-borne reconnaissance biplane float-plane.   (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 70 Blitz, single-engine transport mailplane, 1932.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 72 Kadett, trainer.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 74, fighter/advanced trainer (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 100, fighter (prototype). At least one of these aircraft was provided to the Soviet Union by Germany for evaluation in 1940.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 112, fighter.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 113, (propaganda designation for He 100).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 111.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 111H, (Wk. Nr. unknown), previously` 5J + CR' of III / KG4, captured in Libya in 1942.  Designated HS-? by the RAF, it was named "Delta Lily" and flown by No. 260 Squadron.  It was reported as being on a scrap dump at Fanara in the Suez Canal Zone, Egypt in April 1947 (RAF Photos)

Heinkel He 111H-20, (Wk. Nr. 701152), coded NT+SL.  This aircraft was built in 1944 and modified to drop Fallschirmjäger (paratroops).  It is on display in the RAF Museum, Hendon, England.  (Dapi89 Photo)

Heinkel He 111 P-2 (5J+CN), (Wk. Nr. 1526) 5.Staffel/Kampfgeschwader 54 (KG 54 - Bomber Wing 54), on display at the Royal Norwegian Air Force (RNAF) Museum at Gardermoen, part of the Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection.  The 5J Geschwaderkennung code on the aircraft is usually documented as being that of either I. Gruppe/KG 4 or KG 100, with B3 being KG 54's equivalent code throughout the war.   (Clemens Vasters Photo)

Heinkel He 111 E-3.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 111 E-3 (25+82), (Wk. Nr. 2940). with the "conventional" cockpit is on display at the Museo del Aire, Madrid, Spain, having served in the Condor Legion.  (Hugh Lleweln Photo)

Heinkel He 111H-16, (Wk. Nr. 8433), 2B+DC, "Red 4", surrendered in Italy by a defecting Hungarian pilot in Dec 1944.  This aircraft was shipped to the the USA where it was designated USA FE-1600, later T2-1600.  It was probably scrapped at Freeman Field, Indiana in 1946.  (USAAF Photos)

CASA-2.111B, Auto & Technic museum Sinsheim.  (AlfvanBeem Photo)

 (Dirk1981 Photo)

 (C1d2wiki Photo)

CASA-2.111B (Serial No. Bl-2117), flown by the Spanish Air Force until 1972, was renumbered as Luftwaffe G1+AD and flown to Gatow slung under a Sikorsky CH-53 helicopter in 1995.  This aircraft was restored and is now on display in the Luftwaffenmuseum Berlin-Gatow in Germany. 

Heinkel He 114, reconnaissance float-plane.   (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 115, general-purpose floatplane in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 116, +VQ, transport/reconnaissance.  (Luftwaffe Photo, left, SDASM Photo, right)

Heinkel He 119, bomber/reconnaissance (prototype).   (Luftwaffe Photos) 

Heinkel He 162 Volksjäger

 

Heinkel He 162 Volksjäger, (Wk. Nr. 200001), left and another, right, in their factory finish paint schemes.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 162 aircraft in a large underground factory at Hinterbruhl, Germany in April 1945.  United States Ninth Army troops found these nearly completed aircraft in a former salt mine near Engels.  Built 300 metres underground, a large elevator was used to bring the aircraft to the surface.  (USAAF Photo)

Heinkel He 162A-2, White 3, Erproungskommando 162.  The He 162A-2 Volksjäger or “People’s Fighter” was also known as Salamander, which was the code name of its construction program, and Spatz (“Sparrow”), which was the name given to the aircraft by the Heinkel company.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120221) captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. Designated RAF AM58, this aircraft was scrapped at Farnborough in 1946.

 (Author Photo)

 (CA&SM Photo)

 (Ra Boe Photos)

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120076), "Yellow 4", captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  Designated RAF AM59, later RAF Serial No. VH523, this aircraft was held by the Canada Air and Space Museum in Ottawa.  It was traded to Aero Vintage in the UK for a Bristol Fighter (G-AANM, D-7889) in December 2006.  Wk. Nr. 120076 is now on display at the Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin, Germany.

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120074), White 11, 20, captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  Designated RAF AM60, this aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1947.  (RAF Photo)

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120086), Yellow 2, JG1, captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  Designated RAF AM62, this aircraft was on display in Hyde Park, London, England post war.  This aircraft was later shipped to Canada and is on display in the Canada Aviation and Space Museum. (RAF Photo)

(Author Photos)

Heinkel He 162A-2 Volksjäger, (Wk. Nr. 120086), coded "Yellow 2", JG1, designated RAF AM62, currently on display in the Canada Air and Space Museum, Ottawa, Ontario.  This aircraft surrendered at Leck, and was moved to Farnborough by surface transport on 22 August 1945.  AM 62 was allocated to No. 47 MU, Sealand, on 29 May 1946 for packing and shipping to Canada.  It also left Salford Docks on 26 August aboard SS Manchester Commerce, arriving at Montréal on 9 September 1946.  It has been in the CASM since 1964.

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120095), captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  Designated RAF AM63, this aircraft is shown here on display in the UK post war.  It was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1947. (AWM Photos)

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120227) of JG 1, captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  Designated RAF AM65, later VN629 this aircraft was brought to Farnborough by surface transport on 31 July 1945.  It was not flown by the RAF.  It is currently on display in the RAF Museum, Hendon, England.  (Dapi99 Photo)

Heinkel He 162A-1, (Wk. Nr. 120235), originally coded Red 6, now painted coded Yellow 6, JG1, was captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.  This aircraft was not initially allocated an Air Ministry number, likely because it was intended for use as a ballistics target.  It has reportedly later designated RAF AM68.  Initially on display at RAF Cranwell it was transferred to the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth in London, but is now on display at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, England.  (Tony Hisgett Photo)

Heinkel He 162, 27, damaged at the end of the war, captured by American forces in May 1945.  (USAAF Photo)

Heinkel He 162 A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120077), "Red 1" being test flown as USA FE-489, later T2-489.  This aircraft is now with the Planes of Fame Museum, Chino, California.  (USAAF Photos)

 (Alan Wilson Photo)

 (Goshimini Photo)

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120077) "Nervenklau" is currently owned by the Planes of Fame Museum and is on static display at Chino, California.  This aircraft was sent to the United States in 1945 where it was given the designation USA FE-489 (Foreign Equipment No. 489) and later T2-489.

Heinkel He 162A-1, fuselage (Wk. Nr. 120222), coded White 4, later repainted Yellow 7, USA FE-493, later T2-493, at USAAF Depot Y76 Kassel, Germany before shipment to the USA.  (USAAF Photos)

Heinkel He 162A-1, fuselage (Wk. Nr. 120222), originally coded White 4, repainted Yellow 7, USA FE-493, later T2-493, with a wing from He 162A-1 (Wk. Nr. 120067), at Freeman Field, Seymour, Indiana Ohio post-war.  (USAAF Photo)

Heinkel He 162A-2, (Wk. Nr. 120230), coded White 23, 1/JG1, captured by the British at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany in May 1945. Transferred by the RAF to the USA, coded USA FE-504, later T2-504, this aircraft is now with the NASM. (RAF Photo)

Heinkel He 162A-2 Spatz (Sparrow),Volksjager (Wk. Nr. 120230), coded White 23, 1/JG1, painted (Wk. Nr. 120222), USA FE-504, later T2-504, with the tail of (Wk. Nr. 120222).  This aircraft is stored with the National Air and Space Museum, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Virginia.  This aircraft was one of thirty-one JG 1 aircraft manufactured by Heinkel at Rostock-Marienehe and captured by the British at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany on 8 May 1945.  It was painted with the number White 23, and its red-white-black nose bands were in reverse order from the usual paint scheme, which may indicate that the wing commander and high-scoring ace, Col Herbert Ihlefeld, flew this particular aircraft.  After transfer to Britain, the US Army Air Forces accepted the airplane and shipped it to Wright Field, Ohio, for evaluation. It received the foreign equipment number FE-504, later T2-504, and was later moved to Freeman Field, Indiana.  For unknown reasons, mechanics replaced the tail unit at Wright Field with the tail unit of aircraft Wk. Nr. 120222.  FE-504/T2-504 was apparently never flown.  Its flying days ended permanently when someone at Freeman Field neatly sawed through the outer wing panels sometime before September 1946.  The wings were reattached with door hinges and the jet was shipped to air shows and military displays around the country.  The US Air Force transferred the aircraft to the Smithsonian Institution in 1949 but it remained in storage at Park Ridge, Illinois, until transfer to the Garber Facility in January 1955. National Air and Space Museum, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Virginia. (USAAF Photos)

Heinkel He 172, trainer (prototype).  The He 176 rocket-powered aircraft was the world's first to be propelled solely by a liquid-fuelled rocket, making its first powered flight on 20 June 1939.  (Drawing and Photo, SDA&SM)

Heinkel He 177A-5/R6 Greif (Griffon) long-range heavy bomber.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 177A-7 Grief, (Wk. Nr. 550256), coded GP+RY, captured at Toulouse-Blagnac, France in Sep 1944.  It wore French markings including the title “Prise de Guerra”, until it was allocated to the USA.  It had the star and bar insignia added and was marked 56 under the nose section.  This aircraft crashed at Paris-Orly airport at the start of its intended ferry flight to the USA on 28 Feb 1945.  (USAAF Photos)

Heinkel He 178.  This aircraft flew for the first time in August 1939, marking the first flight of a jet powered aircraft in history. The He 178 had a top speed of 380mph, but the jets rapid consumption of fuel kept its range short at 200km.  Preliminary plans were in place to weaponize the design, but it was never progressed to the production stage.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 219A-7 Uhu night fighter in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 219A-7 Uhu, (Wk. Nr. 310189), D5+CL of I/NJG 3 night fighter captured at Grove, Denmark.  This aircraft was designated RAF AM22.  It was scrapped at Farnborough in 1946.  RCAF Squadron Leaders Joe McCarthy and Ian Somerville both flew these aircraft.  (RAF Photos)

Heinkel He 219A Uhu in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 219A-0 Uhu, (Wk. Nr. 210903), captured at Grove, Denmark.  Designated RAF USA 8, this aircraft was shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper, and re-designated USA FE-612 at Freeman Field, Indiana post war.  This aircraft was scrapped about 1950.  (USAAF Photos)

 

Heinkel He 219 Uhu (Wk. Nr. 290202), captured at Grove, Denmark.  Designated RAF USA 10, USA FE-614, later T2-614, Freeman Field Indiana fall 1945.  This aircraft is preserved in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Centre, Chantilly, Virginia.  (USAAF Photo)

Heinkel He 219 Uhu (Wk. Nr. 290202), captured at Grove, Denmark.  Designated RAF USA 10, USA FE-614, preserved in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Centre, Chantilly, Virginia.  (Mark Pellegrini Photo)

Heinkel He 219 Uhu (Wk. Nr. 290202), captured at Grove, Denmark.  Designated RAF USA 10, USA FE-614, preserved in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Centre, Chantilly, Virginia.  (Kogo Photos)

Heinkel He 274, (Wk. Nr. unknown) high-altitude bomber.  Two prototypes were completed by the French post-war and put into service with the Armée de l'Air.  (Armée de l'Air Photos)

Heinkel He 277 Amerika Bomber, heavy bomber (project).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Heinkel He 280, jet fighter (prototype), DL+AS.  At the end of the war the Soviet Union collected three damaged twin-engine He 280 fighters with Heinkel S 8a engines at Vienna, Austria.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Heinkel He 343A-1, jet bomber (project) prototypes.  In January 1944, the RLM funded 20 aircraft including a series of 4 prototypes.  The eventual He-343 A1 bomber was operated by 1/KG76 at Burg near Magdeburg.  (Luftwaffe artwork)

Heinkel He P.1079A, all weather jet fighter (project).  Model.  (Juergen Klaueser Photo)

Henschel Hs 121, fighter/trainer (prototype).

Henschel Hs 123, ground-attack biplane.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Henschel Hs 124, heavy fighter/bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Henschel Hs 125 fighter/trainer (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Henschel Hs 126B-1 OK, reconaissance aircraft.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Henschel Hs 127, bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Henschel Hs 128, high altitude reconnaissance bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Henschel Hs 129B-1 ground attack aircraft in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Henschel Hs 129B-1 ground attack aircraft, 5PzSG1, captured at Tunis, being examined by USAAF personnel, May 1943.  (USAAF Photo)

Henschel Hs 129B-1, (Wk. Nr. 0297), captured in North Africa where it had served with I./SG2.  Designated RAF NF756, this aircraft was flown at RAF Collyweston on 13 May 1944.  It was struck off charged and was scrapped in August 1947.  (RAF Photos)

 (USAAF Photos)

Henschel Hs 129B-1/R2, (Wk. Nr. 0385), 8.(Pz)1Sch.G2, captured at El Aouina, Tunisia, in May 1943.  This aircraft was brought to the USA where it was designated EB-105, then USA FE-103, later FE-4600 and then T2-4600, at Freeman Field, Indiana in 1945.  The aircraft was cut up for scrap in 1946, but the cockpit was purchased and is on display in Der Adler Luftwaffe Museum, Sidney, Australia.  Another Hs 129, was reported to have been at Freeman Field, fate unknown.

Henschel Hs 130, high altitude reconnaissance bomber and Bomber B design competitor (prototypes).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

 

Henschel Hs 132, jet dive bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Illustration/Photos)

Horton Ho V, propeller powered flying wing (project).  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Horten Ho 229V-3, (aka Go 299V-3) advanced flying wing twin-jet fighter (project) captured in Germany.  This aircraft was shipped to the USA where it was designated USA FE-490, later T2-490.  It is stored with the NASM.  (USAAF Photo)

Horten Ho 229 (Horten H. IX V3), (aka Go 229V-3) experimental flying wing twin-jet fighter (project).  Because of the limited resources of the Horten organization, this aircraft was being produced by the Gothaer Waggonfabrik organization where it was captured at Freidrichsroda, Germany.   Brought to the USA, it was designated USA FE-490, later T2-490.  This aircraft is preserved with the NASM.  (Michael Katzmann Photos)

Horten Flying-wing-gliders, Ho II, Ho III, and Ho IV.  Ho II, USA FE-5042 is with the NASM.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Horten Ho IIIh, this aircraft was shipped to America where it was designated USA FE-7, later T2-7 and then either FE-5039 or FE-5041. This aircraft may be in storage with the NASM.  (Michael Katzmann Photo)

Horten H.IIIh flying wing sailplane, (Wk. Nr. 31) built at Göttingen in 1944, USA FE-5041, center section, on display at the National Air and Space Museum, Steven F. Udvar Hazy Center, Chantilly, Virginia.  This glider was built with a prone-position cockpit and modified control systems. Three were built including this one which was captured by the British Combined Intelligence Objectives Subcommittee in 1945 at Rottweil, moved to Freeman Field, Indiana in the USA.  By 1946 it had been transferred to Northrop Corporation at Hawthorne, California along with a Horten H.IIIf and the Horten Ho VI V2 in 1947.  (Elliott Wolf Photo)

Horten Ho IIIf all wing sailplane, (Wk. Nr. 32), prone pilot version built in 1944.  This aircraft was captured in damaged condition at Rottweil, Germany in 1945.  It was shipped to American and given the designation USA FE-5039, later T2-5039.  This aircraft is on display in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Centre.  (Mike Peel Photo)

Horten Ho IV, (Wk. Nr. unknown), on display in the Deutsches Museum, Munich, Germany.  (John McCullagh Photo)

Horten Ho IV, LA-AC, (Wk. Nr. unknown).  This aircraft was displayed at Farnborough in Nov 1945.  Sold in the USA it is on display in the Planes of Fame Museum, Chino, California.  (Alan Wilson Photo)

Horten Ho VI, (Wk. Nr. 34), all wing sailplane.  USA FE-5040, later T2-5040 is on display in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Centre.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bomber KGrzbV400, (H4+CH), ex-1.LLG1 ferrying supplies to North Africa 1942.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bombers.  (Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-317-0053-18)

Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bomber, floatplane.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

  (Ra Boe Photo)

Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. unknown), D-AZAW, Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin.  (Leif Orss Photo)

Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. unknown), built in 1936, initially registered as D-AQUI, later D-CDLH until 1984, known as "Iron Annie N52JU", re-painted as D-AQUI in historic 1936 colours as "Queen of the Skies",  Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung's fleet.  From 1932, the Junkers works and various licensees built almost 5000 airplanes that were to serve 30 airlines in 25 countries across the globe.  Built at the Junkers works in Dessau, this Ju 52 embarked on her maiden flight in 1936.  Initially in service with Lufthansa, she then spent almost 20 years alternating between Germany and Norway.  1955 saw her taken out of service in Norway.  Too large for a museum in Oslo, she was sold to South America where she was flown in Ecuador from 1957 to 1963.  Retired at Quito Airport, she was exposed to the elements, until an American flying enthusiast rescued her in 1969. Later on, spectators were able to admire "Aunt Ju", now known as "Iron Annie", at air shows across the States before it was purchased by Lufthansa in 1984 and painstakingly restored.  D-CDLH has P&W engines with three-bladed propellers.  (Lufthansa Photo)

Junkers Ju 86K-4 Fv 155, (Wk. Nr. 0860412), bomber reconnaissance, Swedish Air Force B3, preserved in the Flygvapenmuseum Malmen, Swedish Air Force Museum, Linkoping, Sweden.  (Towpilot Photo)

Junkers Ju 86 in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 87 Stuka

 Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive-bomber, coded S7+EP, captured in North Africa, 1943.  (USAAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 87 Stuka factory.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka, (Wk. Nr. 494083) painted as W8+A, on display in the RAF Museum, Cosford in 1970.  This aircraft was captured at Eggebek in Schleswig-Hostein, Germany in May 1945.  No Air Ministry number was allocated.   (RuthAS Photo)

Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka, (Wk. Nr. 494083) on display in the RAF Museum, Cosford, painted as +JK.  This aircraft was captured at Eggebek in Schleswig-Hostein, Germany in May 1945.  No Air Ministry number was allocated.  (Kogo Photos)

The Junkers Ju 87 Stuka, dive-bomber displayed at the Royal Air Force Museum was captured by British troops in Germany in 1945  It is thought to have been built in 1943–1944 as a D-5 before being rebuilt as a G-2 variant, possibly by fitting G-2 outer wings to a D-5 airframe.  After the war, it was one of 12 captured German aircraft selected by the British for museum preservation.  In 1967, permission was given to use the aircraft in the film Battle of Britain and it was repainted and modified to resemble a 1940 variant of the Ju 87.  The engine was found to be in excellent condition and there was little difficulty in starting it, but returning the aircraft to airworthiness was considered too costly for the filmmakers, and ultimately, models were used in the film to represent Stukas.  In 1998, the film modifications were removed, and the aircraft returned to the original G-2 configuration.  This aircraft has also been reported as Junkers Ju 87B, (Wk. Nr. 5763), RAF HK827.  Junkers Ju 87B-1, (Wk. Nr. 087/5600), S2+LM from II./StG77 was reported as being on the scrap area at Farnborough in Dec 1946.

Captured Junkers Ju 87G with flame concealing exhaust, 3.7mm cannon, Salzburg, Austria, 1945.  (USAAF Photo)

 (ox6adb015 Photo)

Junkers Ju 87R2/Trop Stuka, dive-bomber, (Wk. Nr. 5954), on display in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, Illinois.  This aircraft was abandoned in North Africa and found by British forces in 1941.  The Ju 87 was donated by the British government and sent to the USA during the war.  It was fully restored in 1974 by the EAA of Wisconsin.

Junkers Ju 88, coded 3Z+H, in Luftwaffe service.  (Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-417-1766-03A)

Junkers Ju 88A-5, (Wk. Nr. 3457), 4D+DL, from I./KG30,  This aircraft landed in error at RAF Lulsgate Bottom on 23 July 1941.  Designated RAF EE205, it was scrapped in early 1948.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88R-1, (Wk. Nr. 360043), D5+EV from IV./NJG3.  Originally built as a Ju 88A-1 bomber in 1942, it was converted to R-1 standard early in 1943 for the night fighter role.  In May 1943, a three-man crew was ordered to intercept an unarmed BOAC Mosquito courier flight from Leuchars, Scotland flying to Stockholm, Sweden.  Two hours after their take-off, the aircrew of this aircraft defected to England, sending a fake message to their home base that they had a fire in the starboard engine.  The bomber descended to sea level and dropped three life rafts to make the search parties think the aircraft had ditched at sea.  The crew then few on to Scotland.  The aircraft was a significant acquisition for the RAF as this aircraft was fitted with the most up to date FuG 202 Lichtenstein B/C radar installation.  This aircraft was designated RAF PJ876 and underwent trials with the RAF Wireless and Electrical Flight section of No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight.  It was acquired by the RAF Museum in 1978.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88R-1, (Wk. Nr. 360043), D5+EV from IV./NJG3.  Acquired by the RAF Museum in 1978.  The antenna of the on this aircraft are replicas, as the entire radar system was removed from the aircraft for evaluation during the war.  It had been preserved in the Royal Air Force Museum Hendon, London, but is currently located at Cosford while the Hendon location is being upgraded.   (Dapi89 Photo)

Junkers Ju 88G-1, (Wk. Nr. 712273), 4R+UR from III./NJG2, landed in error at RAF Woodbridge when it became lost on a flight and ran out of fuel on 13 July 1944.  This aircraft was equipped with FuG220, FuG227 and FuG350 radars, making it an important intelligence find.  Designated RAF TP190, later AM231, this aircraft was flown 33 flights before it was scrapped at Farnborough after Oct 1945.  (RAF Photos)

Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620838) was captured at Flensburg.  Designated RAF AM3, later VK884, this aircraft was scrapped at Farnborough in 1945.  (RAF Photos)

Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 622311) captured at Eggebek.  Designated RAF AM16.  This aircraft was scrapped in 1946.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 623193), with FuG 240 Berlin cavity magnetron radar in the nose, captured at Grove, Denmark in may 1945.  This aircraft was designated RAF AM31, and is shown here at Farnborough in 1945.  It was scrapped at Skellingthorpe in 1947.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88A-4, (Wk. Nr. 4300227), captured at Foggia, Italy, in 1943.  It was repaired by the men of the 86th Fighter Squadron and flown from Italy to Wright Field on 5 Nov 1943 by 86th Fighter Squadron Comanche pilots.  USA FE-106, later FE-1599.  It appeared in war bond drives, and was finally returned to Wright Field in the summer of 1945 after being superficially damaged in Los Angeles.  It finally went to Freeman Field, Indiana, where it was used for spare parts until it was scrapped in 1946.  (USAAF Photos)


Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620116), NJG3, designated RAF USA 21, transferred by the British to the USA.  Shipped to the USA it was designated USA FE-611, later T2-611.  This aircraft was scrapped at Freeman Field, Indiana in 1946.  (Edgar Deigan Photos)

Junkers Ju 88D-1/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 430650), USA FE-1598, with Fritz X bomb, preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio.  (Goshimini Photo)

Junkers Ju 88D-1/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 430650) initially came to the RAF via a defecting Romanian pilot who landed in Cyprus on 22 July 1943.  RAF HK959 was flown to Egypt and transferred to the USAAF and flown to Wright Field,  over the South Atlantic route on 14 Oct 1943.  This aircraft was designated USA FE-105 and later FE-1598, and briefly USAAF (Serial No. 43-0650).  This aircraft is now preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio.  (USAAF Photos)

USS Savannah (CL-42), hit by a German Fritz X guided bomb off the coast of Salerno, Italy on 11 Sep 1943.  (USN Photo)

Junkers Ju 89, Ural Bomber design competitor (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 90, bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 187, dive bomber (prototype)

Junkers Ju 188E-1.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 188 and Bf 109, captured near Erfurt, Germany in May 1945.  A total of 110 Ju 188s were collected by the RAF, with 51 found in Germany, 19 in Denmark and 40 in Norway.  106 were destroyed and four were sent to England.   (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 287, heavy jet bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Elements of the Ju 287 prototype were captured by the Soviet Union and a number of their aviation technicians were tasked to  develop this aircraft from designs which included  Ju 131 and 132 bombers, Ju 126 ground-attack aircraft (in documents they often were designated EF-131, EF-132, and EF-126, from Entwicklungs Flugzeug-"Experimental Aircraft"), Jumo 004 and Jumo 01 jet engines, and the Jumo 224 aircraft diesel engine. To fulfill these tasks, two large sections were set up at OKB-1-aircraft and engine. The aircraft section comprised 433 employees, including 276 designers and 157 people working in scientific research laboratories. There were 402 specialists in the engine section, 235 at the design bureau, and 167 at scientific research laboratories. In all, 2992 employees worked at the Dessau plant in May 1946, including 20 representatives of the USSR Ministry of the Aviation Industry.   The unfinished Ju 287V-2 also became the foundation for the EF-131 prototype jet bomber.  Since no drawings or test materials were found in Dessau, all the documentation had to be reconstituted.  This delayed production somewhat but by January 1946 preparations for the assembly of a prototype example began.  Some components (wing sections, in particular) were taken from the original Ju-287V-2 but most had to be redone.  The work was labour intensive and therefore the decision was made to stop after the manufacture of three examples: two (V-l, V-3) for flight testing and one (V-2) for strength tests.  In May wind tunnel tests of the airplane model began.  Simultaneously, the operation of the power plant was tested on a specially made bench.  By August 1946 the first EF-131 (V-l) was ready.

Development of the EF-140 began in 1947 as Baade's initiative and, after a mockup was inspected in 1948, the government approved the work.  The second EF-131 flying prototype was used in building the aircraft and it sped up manufacturing. In September 1948 the machine was completely ready to fly.  On 5 October during the second flight, some defects in engine operation were discovered.  The so-called "automatic fuel flow meter" mounted on the AM-TKRD-01 engine was unsatisfactory and it proved very difficult to control engine thrust manually.  The engine was spontaneously changing rpm and the aircraft jerked and rocked in flight.  After the seventh sortie, flight-testing had to be stopped.   In 1949 the engines were replaced and flights went on.  On 24 May plant testing was completed.  The aircraft reached a speed of 904 km/h and range of 2000 km.  For some reason (possibly in connection with successful testing of the Tu-14 tactical bomber), no official testing of the EF-140 was conducted.  Instead, in May 1948 OKB-1 was tasked to convert the plane into a long-range reconnaissance aircraft.  This version was designated "140-R".

To obtain the required range (3600 km) and altitude (14,100 m), the aircraft was fitted with new more fuel-efficient VK-1 engines that V. Ya. Klimov designed (a modification of British Nene-1 turbojet engine).  In addition, the wingspan was increased from 19.4 to 21.9 m and external fuel tanks were mounted on the wing tips, thus increasing total fuel capacity to 14,000 liters.  The aircraft was armed with two remotely operated gun turrets with 23mm paired cannon.  Targeting was carried out with the aid of periscope gun sights and the gun turrets were electrically operated.  In case the upper gunner was killed or wounded, his turret could be connected with the lower turret gun sight and fire control system.  The "140-R" was fitted with equipment for performing day and night reconnaissance (photo cameras, illuminating bombs, and so on) placed in the forward part of the cargo bay and aft fuselage.

The first flight of the "140-R" was made on 12 October 1949.  On 20 October the aircraft took off for the second time. Both flights were interrupted due to excessive wing vibration and the aircraft was returned to the plant.  Test flights resumed the next spring, after structural changes were made.  The testing was stopped after the second flight on 24 March because the wing buffeting continued. TsAGI specialists were brought in to solve the problem.  It was assumed that the flutter was caused by the wing-tip fuel tanks.  On 18 July 1950 all work on the 140-R aircraft was stopped by government decree.   The same decree canceled testing of the "140-B/R" variant that could be employed both as a reconnaissance aircraft and bomber. Baade's OKB had been tasked with developing it in August 1948.   The aircraft differed from the "140-R" mainly in its having a different "filling". The fire control system was improved and the crew reduced to three.  The plane was estimated to have a range of 3000 km, maximum speed of 866 km/h, ceiling of 12,000 m with a bomb load of 1500 kg, and a fuel capacity of 9400 liters.  By the time the decree was issued, the aircraft had been built and partially ground tested.  That was the last aircraft with a sweepforward wing in the USSR.  After unsuccessful testing of the "140-R" reconnaissance aircraft, TsAGI specialists concluded that it was undesirable to use such a wing in aircraft manufacturing.  Internet: http://www.airpages.ru/eng/ru/ju287.shtml.

Junkers Ju 288, Bomber B design competitor (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)  

 

Junkers Ju 290, Salzburg, Austria.  (USAAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 290A-4, (Wk. Nr. 110196), originally coded A3+HB of Kampfgeschwader 200 (KG 200), captured at Munich-Riem on 6 May 1945.  Designated RAF USA 022, this aircraft was amed "Alles Kaput", and re-numbered USA FE-3400.  It was flown across the Atlantic to Wright Field, Ohio, where it was scrapped in Dec 1946.  (USAAF Photos)

Junkers EF 132, heavy bomber (project)

Junkers Ju 252, transport (prototype)

Junkers Ju 322 Mammut, transport glider (prototype)

Junkers Ju 352A-0 Herkules, transport, (Wk. Nr. 100010) coded KT+VJ, of V/Transportgeschwader 4, RAF AM8 and later VP550.  This aircraft was scrapped at Farnborough after 1946.   (RAF Photos)

Junkers W34, single engine transport.

Junkers Ju 388J-1 reconnaissance/night fighter.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

 (USAAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 388L-1 Störtebeker, (Wk. Nr. 560049), USA FE-4010, later T2-4010, at Freeman Field, Indiana, post war.  This aircraft is currently stored in the Paul E. Garber Facility, Suitland, Maryland.  (USAAF Photos)

Junkers Ju 388L-1, (Wk. Nr. 560049), FE-410, later T2-4010, Wright Field, 1946 victory display.  The Ju 388 was introduced very late in the war, and production problems along with the deteriorating war conditions meant that only a few were built.  (San Diego Air & Space Museum Photo)

Junkers Ju 390 Amerika Bomber, heavy bomber (prototype) in Luftwaffe service.   (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 488, heavy bomber (project)

Klemm Kl 31, 1931 single engine trainer.

Klemm Kl 32, 1931 single engine trainer.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Klemm Kl 35.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Klemm Kl 35, F-AZTK (DL-UI and 3198) c/n 1954.  Built in 1940.  (Peter Bakema Photo)

Klemm Kl 35, 1935 sportplane and trainer.

Klemm Kl 36, 1934 single engine trainer.

Klemm Kl 106, single engine trainer.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Klemm Kl 151, coced TB+QK, single engine trainer.   (Luftwaffe Photo)

Siebel Fh 104 Hallore, small twin-engined transport, communications and liaison aircraft.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Siebel Fh 104 Hallore, Wk. Nr. unknown), was captured and designated RAF AM119.  AM119 crashed on Goodwin Sands, England on 28 Nov 1945.

Siebel Si 201 STOL reconnaissance aircraft (prototype).

Siebel Si 202 Hummel, 1938 sportplane and trainer.

Siebel Si 204 in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Axis Warplane Survivors

A guidebook to the preserved Military Aircraft of the Second World War Tripartite Pact of Germany, Italy, and Japan, joined by Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, and Yugoslavia; the co-belligerent states of Thailand, Finland, San Marino and Iraq; and the occupied states of Albania, Belarus, Croatia, Vichy France, Greece, Ljubljana, Macedonia, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Cambodia, China, India, Laos, Manchukuo, Mengjiang, the Philippines and Vietnam.

The book may be ordered online at:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/harold-a-skaarup/axis-warplane-survivors/paperback/product-20360959.html

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/axis-warplane-survivors-harold-a-skaarup/1113763593?ean=9781300067443.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=axis+warplane+survivors&rh=n%3A916520%2Ck%3Aaxis+warplane+survivors&ajr=0.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Axis+Warplane+survivors&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3AAxis+Warplane+survivors&ajr=0.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/search/?keywords=axis%20warplane%20survivors&pageSize=12.