|Canadian Warplanes 3: The Second World War, Hawker Tempest and Hawker Typhoon
Hawker Tempest and Hawker Typhoon
Data current to 25 March 2020.
Hawker Tempest Mk. V (1), (Serial No. NV999). Single-seat RAF fighter with Sabre V engine (2,340 hp), 142 built. One was flown in Canada by the RCAF for cold weather testing.
(IWM Photo, HU 2173)
Hawker Tempest Mk. V, RAF (Serial No. EJ743).
Hawker Tempest Mk. V, RAF (Serial No. SN219).
Hawker Tempest Mk. V, RAF (Serial No. EJ713).
Hawker Tempest Mk. V, RAF (Serial No. NV696), test flight, Nov 1944.
Hawker Tempest Mk. V, RAF (Serial No. EJ705).
Hawker Typhoon being armed with rockets, ca June 1944.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4002575)
Hawker Typhoon, Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, and North American Mustang Mk. I aircraft at an Allied mobile repair section, Normandy 25 June 1944.
Hawker Typhoon Mark IB (EK139), HH-N, Dirty Dora, of No 175 Squadron, RAF, May 1943.
(IWM Photo, CH11578)
Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, No. 486 Squadron, 27 Oct 1943.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4002572)
Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, P, No, 438 Sqn, RCAF, Normandy 1944.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4948357)
An airman with a Canadian motorcycle along with a group of No. 52 Medical Field Hospital personnel and a 2nd Tactical Air Force Jeep, No. 83 Group, RAF, at the RAF's B-100 airfield in Germany, ca March 1945.
After the Normandy landings in June 1944, the Allies advanced towards Germany. To support the progress of the ground forces, the RAF and RCAF, had to keep up with them and control the airspace. To do this, the RAF needed airfields and runways. The first Royal Air Force airfield in Germany, 'B-100 Goch', was established in February/March of 1945, south of Weeze. The runway consisted of perforated steel plates with a length of 1,080 meters. There was an emergency landing runway and, diagonally opposite, a 900-meter-long green belt for transport aircraft.
The first unit to fly from the airfield was 662 (Auster) Squadron, who remained at the airfield until 24 March. They were followed by the British No. 121 (Typhoon) Wing on 20 March, and then ten days later Canadian No. 143 (FB) Wing joined them.
British and Canadian units carried out air attacks on German forces east of the Rhine with Spitfires and Typhoons from the 4th of March 1945. No. 143 (FB) Wing operated from B.100 at Goch, Germany from the 29th of March through to the 8th of April, 1945. The Hawker Typhoons of No. 121 Wing were exchanged for the Spitfires of Canadian No. 127 Wing by mid-April, but by the end of that month all Wings had left. In late April, after the successful conquest of the Ruhr area, the army moved on and military aircraft were moved from B-100 to several areas in the north of Germany. B-100 was then abandoned.
Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, RAF (Serial No. EK183), No. 56 Squadron, RAF Matlaske, Norfolk, 21 April 1943.
Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, RCAF (Serial No. RB402), coded 5V-P of No. 439 Squadron RCAF, landing at Goch, Germany, ca. 1944.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, PL-42817)
Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, RCAF (Serial No. RB389), coded 18-P, "Pulverizer IV", No. 440 Squadron RCAF, with bomb load, Goch, Germany, ca. 1944.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3607564)
Hawker Typhoons, RCAF, ca 1944.
(IWM Photo, CL 1598)
Hawker Typhoon, coded 18-R, No. 440 Squadron, RCAF, armourers bringing ammunition service, the Netherlands, late 1944.
(IWM Photo, CL 3810)
Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, (Serial No. MN659), coded I8-E, No. 440 Squadron RCAF, which suffered a collapsed undercarriage on landing after a sortie. Eindhoven, Netherlands, 1944.
(Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4233241)
Hawker Typhoon rocket arrangement being inspected by Canadians.
Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, (Serial No. MN235) on loan to the Canada Air and Space Museum in Ottawa from the RAF Museum in England. It has been retured to the RAF Museum Cosford in the UK. This aircraft was originally used by the USAAF for evaluation and Comparison trials. Post war it was allocated to the NMUSAF. It was in storage with the Smithsonian Institute before returning to England in 1968. This aircraft is now back in the UK with the RAF Museum.