Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Canadian Warplanes 3: Consolidated Catalina, Boeing Canada Canso A and Canadian Vickers Canso A

Consolidated Catalina, Boeing Canada and Canadian Vickers Canso A 

Data current to 8 April 2021.

 (DND Photo via Gary Cook)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF, possibly (Serial No. 11010), No. 3 Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Patricia Bay, BC.  11010 was taken on strength on 6 Nov 1943.  It was delivered directly to No. 3 Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Patricia Bay, British Columbia.  To No. 2 Air Command for storage on 26 Jul 1945.  Stored post war at No. 10 Repair Depot, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.  It was struck off, to War Assets Corporation for sale on 7 May 1947.  R.W.R. Walker.

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation Catalina Mk. I (10), RCAF (Serial Nos. W8430, W8431, W8432, Z2134, Z2136, Z2137, Z2138, Z2139, Z2140, DP202), Mk. IB (8), (Serial Nos. FP290, FP291, FP292, FP293, FP294, FP295, FP296, FP297), Mk. IVA (12), (Serial Nos. JX206, JX207, JX209, JX211, JX212, JX213, JX217, JX219, JX571, JX572, JX579, and JX580), for a total of 30 aircraft. 

The PBY-5 was not amphibious.  The PBY-5A Catalina is the American amphibious version.  The designation "PBY" was determined in accordance with the US Navy aircraft designation system of 1922; PB representing "Patrol Bomber" and Y being the code assigned to Consolidated Aircraft as its manufacturer.  Catalinas built by other manufacturers for the US Navy were designated according to different manufacturer codes, thus Canadian Vickers-built examples were designated PBV, and Boeing Canada examples were designated PB2B.   In accordance with the contemporary British naming practice of naming seaplanes after coastal port towns, the RAF used the name Catalina and the US Navy adopted this name in 1942.  The USAAF, later the USAF, used the designation OA-10, and, later, OA-10A, OA-10B, SA-10A A-10A and A-10B.  

The first production Canso A aircraft (Serial Nos. 9751 to 9805), were assembled from parts provided by Consolidated to Boeing.  The PB2B-1 (conventional tail) and PB2B-2 (tall tail) were manufactured later after different contracts with Canadian manufacturing.  The aircraft designated PB2B-1s and PB2B-2s were for the US Navy, and the RAF aircraft were designated Catalina Mk. IVB and Catalina Mk. VI.  In Canadian service they were given RAF serials because they were RAF aircraft.  

Serial Nos. 9701 to 9736 were Consolidated Aircraft Model 28-5MC Canso in RCAF service.  Serial Nos. 9737 to 9750 were Consolidated Aircraft Model 28-5AMC Canso A in RCAF service.  Serial Nos. 9751 to 9805 were Boeing Canso A.  Serial Nos. 9806 to 9844 and 11001 to 11100 were Canadian-Vickers Canso A.

Boeing Canada built 240 PB2B-1 (PBY-5, non-amphibious) for the RAF from 1942.  None of these went to the RCAF.  Some went to the RNZAF, the RAAF and US Navy, the remainder to the RAF.

 (SDA&SM Photo)

Boeing Canada Catalina Mk. VI, (Serial No. JX637), with tall tail fin.  This aircraft went to the RAAF, (Serial No. A24-376|).

Boeing Canada also built 67 PB2B-2 aircraft with a taller fin.  Most were supplied to the RAF as the Catalina Mk. VI.  

None served operationally with the RAF and most were diverted to the RAAF before being delivered, with a few going to the US Navy.

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation built 50 Catalina Mk. I at San Diego, and 20 Catalina Mk. IIA (non-amphibious) for the RAF.  (None of these marks were built by Canadian factories).

After the US Navy and the RAF, the RCAF was the third largest user of the of these aircraft, operating thirteen squadrons; five on the Canadian west coast, six on the east coast and two overseas.  In the RCAF, the Catalina first went into service in Eastern Air Command with No. 116 Squadron at Dartmouth on 28 Jun 1941.  These first aircraft were ten Catalina Mk. Is diverted from an RAF contract to fulfill a request from the AOC, A/C A.E. Godfrey, to obtain long-range aircraft to equip the anti-submarine squadrons.  The Digbys. Bolingbrokes, Hudsons, and Stranraers had insufficient range to cope with the marauding U-boats, and the Catalinas were the first really long-range aircraft to be used by the EAC.  Overseas, the first RCAF Catalina squadron was No. 413 Squadron, formed 1 Jul 1941 and later moved to Ceylon.

Later Catalinas ordered by the RCAF and built to RCAF specifications were called Cansos.  At first the aircraft were supplied from Consolidated-Vultee through RAF contracts and Canadian orders.  Besides the Catalinas mentioned earlier, another eight were obtained from an RAF order in 1942 and another 12 with modified armament were delivered to fill an RCAF order in early 1942.  At the start of 1942, the RCAF had only 32 of these aircraft on strength.  How ever, later in the year the Air Force began receiving Canadian built Cansos to replace the aging Stranraers in Western Air Command and to form new squadrons in Eastern Air Command.  The two squadrons overseas were supplied by the RAF.

By the beginning of 1943, under an agreement between the U.S. and Canadian government, Canadian Vickers Ltd., at Cartierville, Quebec, and Boeing Aircraft of Canada at Vancouver, British Columba, began production of the PBY-5 (PB2B-1 and -2 by Boeing) and PBY-5A (Canso A by Canadian Vickers).  During early 1942 (Flying boats from Aug to Nov 1941), Consolidated Aircraft began delivery of its first batch of Canso flying boats for the RCAF.  However the first 36 aircraft were to go to the RAF as Catalina Mk. IIAs to replace Catalinas the RCAF had received earlier from RAF contracts.  Of these 36 aircraft, only 29 were actually delivered, with 7 to the RCAF, 20 to the RAF and 9 to the RAAF.  Consolidated-built amphibians for the RCAF were delivered from Nov 1941 to Jan 1942).  (Boeing delivered Canso A  from Oct 1942 to Jul 1943 - Canadian Vickers from Mar 1943 to Jul 1944 ) (9806 to 9835 were built at St Hubert before Canadian Vickers moved to Cartierville)

When production ceased on 19 May 1945, Canadian Vickers had built 369 aircraft of this type. The RCAF received 139 aircraft from Vickers and the USAAF took delivery of 230, designated OA-10A (from Dec 1943 to May 1945).  Of these, 183 were tordered through the U.S. Navy as the PBV-1A but for the USAAF as OA-10As.  In the USAAF the OA-10A was used mostly for search-and-rescue, although some saw service in North Africa as bombers.

The Vancouver Boeing plant on Sea Island produced 240 Catalinas designated PB2B-1, entirely for Lend-Lease.  Of these, 193 went to the RAF as Catalina Mk. IVBs, 34 to the RNZAF and 7 to the RAAF, the first of these having flown on 12 May 1943.  

The RCAF was not interested in them.  A CAS minute, dated 19 Jan 1944, reads: "We are not directly interested in PB2B-1 aircraft and as long as information copies of alterations are received, our present needs will be adequately met".

Later the company produced 67 PB2B-2s (the fin/rudder and elevators of which were based on the Naval Aircraft Factory’s PBN-1 Nomad).  These were intended for the RAF under lend-Lease as Catalina VIs but none saw operational service with the RAF, all going to the RAF except 9 that served with either the USAAF or US Navy.  Also produced by Boeing were 55 amphibious Canso As for the RCAF to bring total production to 362 aircraft.  During the peak of production, the two plants were producing 50 aircraft per month.  Canadian Vickers also produced 119 hulls and 172 wing centre-sections for the Consolidated-Vultee plant in New Orleans.

In Canada a total of 245 (30 diverted RAF aircraft, 7 from 9701 to 9736 batch, 14 from 9737 to 9750 batch, 85 from 9751 to 9835 batches and 109 from 9836 to 9844 and 11001 to 11100 batches).   Catalinas and Cansos were used by the RCAF units in the Home War Establishment.  They served in both EAC and WAC and one squadron operated overseas for about a year-and-a-half from bases in Iceland and Scotland.

After the war, all the Catalinas and most of the Cansos were struck off strength, with only about 40 Canso remaining active.  These saw service with the search-and-rescue flights and a few others were used in heavy transport duties. Most were converted to either Canso 2F (freighter) or Canso 2SR (search and rescue) standard.  The last Canso, RCAF (Serial No. 11089), was retired from service on 29 Nov 1962 and went into civilian service as CF-PQO.  Updates courtesy of David Legg, Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society)

 (J.S. Bond Photo)

Boeing Canada Canso 2Sr, RCAF (Serial No. 11084), RAF (Serial No. CV-417), Reg. No. C-FPQL.  Registered as a PBY-5A, this aircraft is painted in the colours of RCAF Canso A (Serial No. 9754), No. 162 Squadron, coded P, "Mary K", in honour of F/L David Ernest Hornell aircraft.

A Canso was retired to the National Aircraft Collection (now the Canada Aviation and Space Museum).  This was RCAF (Serial No. 11087 stored in military condition).  An airworthy Canso, CF-PQL formerly RCAF 11084 is operated by Canadian Warplane Heritage at Hamilton, Ontario and is restored in markings of No. 162 Squadron as the aircraft flown by F/L Hornell, VC (Serial No. 9754).  A large number of these surplus aircraft were sold to civilian operators and to foreign air forces.  Sweden obtained three Cansos, redesignated Tp. 47, to serve in its Air Force Rescue Service which became (Serial Nos. 47001, 47002, and 47003).  (Source: Canso Investment Counsel Ltd)

In the spring of 1945, four Cansos were flown by No. 170 (Ferry) Squadron to spray against the Spruce Budworm infection in Canada's forests.  One of these aircraft, 11090 was also operated in the spring of 1946 under civil registration CF-OBK.

 (SDASM Photo)

Consolidated Catalina Mk. IIIA, RAF (Serial No. FP529), one of 12 former U.S. Navy PBY-5A aircraft used by the RAF, some of which flew on the North Atlantic Ferry Service.  These were the only amphibians that saw RAF service.  Note the roundel is on the forward fuselage, unlike most others.

 (SDA&SM Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. IA, RAF (Serial No. W8406), cJan 1941.  This aircraft was with No. 4 (Coastal) OTU then No. 210 Squadron, RAF, No. 202 Squadron, RAF, and then No. 205 Squadron, RAF, before being struck off charge 31 Dec 1944.

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation Catalina Mk. I (10), RCAF (Serial Nos. W8430, W8431, W8432, Z2134, Z2136, Z2137, Z2138, Z2139, Z2140, DP202) 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3545899)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. I, RAF (Serial No. W8432), on beaching gear.  This aircraft did not go to the UK for the RAF, and remained in North American where it served with the RCAF until it was wrecked in Jun 1944.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3545900)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. I, RAF (Serial No. W8432).  This aircraft did not go to the UK for the RAF, and remained in North American where it served with the RCAF until it was wrecked in Jun 1944.

 (SDA&SM Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. I, RCAF (Serial No. Z2136), 26 May 1941.

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation Catalina Mk. IB (8), (Serial Nos. FP290, FP291, FP292, FP293, FP294, FP295, FP296, FP297) 

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation Catalina Mk. IVA (12), (Serial Nos. JX206, JX207, JX209, JX211, JX212, JX213, JX217, JX219, JX571, JX572, JX579, and JX580)

(RCAF Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. IV, RCAF (Serial No. JX212), coded G, No. 117 (BR) Squadron, on patrol.

 (RCAF Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. IV, RCAF (Serial No. JX580) in flight.

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation Catalina Mk. IVA, RAF (Serial Nos. JX286, AH557, and AM269)

(SDA&SM Photo)

Boeing Canada P2B-1 Catalina Mk. IVB, RAF (Serial No. JX286), Mar 1944.

 (IWM Photo, ATP 12693E)

Boeing Canada PB2B-1 Catalina Mk. IVB, RAF (Serial No. JX286), on the ground at Saunders Roe Aircraft Ltd, Beaumaris, Anglesey, United Kingdom.  JX286 served first with the RAF Coastal Command Development Unit, followed by No. 302 Ferry Training Unit.  Although this aircraft has been reported as serving with No. 205 Squadron in Ceylon, there is no evidence on the aircraft Form 78 to confirm this, and it remained in the UK.  

 (SDA&SM Photo)

Boeing Canada P2B-1 Catalina Mk. IVB, RAF (Serial No. JX286), Mar 1944.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3545895)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. I, RAF (Serial No. AH557), on beaching gear, preparing to be ferried to the UK, 1941.

 (IWM Photo, CH2448)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Catalina Mk. II, RAF (Serial No. AM269), coded BN-K, No. 240 Squadron RAF based at Stranraer, Ayrshire, moored on Loch Ryan, United Kingdom, Mar 1941.

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation Canso Model 28-5MC Canso in RCAF service (Serial Nos. 9701, 9702, 9703, 9704, 9705, 9706, 9707, 9708, 9709. 9710, 9711, 9712, 9713, 9714, 9715, 9716, 9717, 9718, 9719, 9720, 9721, 9722, 9723, 9724, 9725, 9726, 9727, 9728, 9729, 9730, 9731, 9732, 9733, 9734, 9735, 9736).

 (SDASM Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Model 28-5MC Catalina, RCAF, (Serial No. 9706), No. 116 Squadron. 

 (SDASM Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Model 28-5MC Catalina, RCAF, (Serial No. 9706), No. 116 Squadron.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388278)

Consolidated Aircraft (San Diego) Model 28-5MC Catalina Mk. IIA (later named Canso), RCAF, possibly (Serial No. 9706), (the 97 is visible under the port wing), on the Ottawa River at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, 29 Sep 1941.  This date means it was still a Catalina when the photo was taken, as these aircraft did not formally receive the name "Canso" before Dec 1941.  All of the initial aircraft were delivered in aluminum finish.  Cansos were painted camouflage from (Serial No. 9725) onward.  (Serial Nos. 9719-9736): The RAF received 9703, 9712 (but remained in Bermuda), 9713, 9714, 9715, 9716, 9718, 9719 (lost before delivery to UK), 9720, 9721 (lost on UK ferry flight), 9722, 9723, 9724 (lost before delivery to UK), 9725, 9726, 9727, 9728, 9729, 9731 and 9732 whilst RAAF received 9708, 9710, 9711, 9717, 9730, 9733, 9734, 9735 and 9736.  The RCAF retained 9701, 9702, 9704, 9705, 9706, 9707 and 9709.

RCAF and RAF aircraft were painted in a British colour-scheme, only the markings differed.  This dark dress was found to be inadequate on convoy escort.  In May 1942 a "low visibility" white camouflage was introduced in the RCAF to make the aircraft less visible to the German U-boat crews.

Consolidated Aircraft Corporation Canso Model 28-5MC Canso A in RCAF service (Serial Nos. 9737, 9738, 9739, 9740, 9741, 9742, 9743, 9744, 9745, 9746, 9757, 9748, 9749, 9750)

 (RCAF Photo, PL-8500)

Consolidated Model 28-5AMC Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9741), flown by No. 5 (BR) Squadron and No. 116 (BR) Squadron, over Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

(RCAF Photo via James Craik)

Consolidated Model 28-5AMC Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9741), lown by No. 5 (BR) Squadron and No. 116 (BR) Squadron.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3582015)

Consolidated Model 28-5AMC Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9742), later coded X, with No. 5 Squadron, after breaking through the ice on the Ottawa River near Rockcliffe, Ontario, 1942. 

 (SDASM Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft Model 28-5AMC Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9750), 3 Jan 1942.  This aircraft was flown by No. 161 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron from Oct 1943 to May 1945.

Boeing Canso A (Serial Nos. 9751, 9752, 9753, 9754, 9755, 9756, 9757, 9758, 9759, 9760, 9761, 9762, 9763, 9764, 9765, 9766, 9767, 9768, 9769, 9770, 9771, 9772, 9773, 9774, 9775, 9776, 9777, 9778, 9779, 9780, 9781, 9782, 9783, 9784, 9785, 9786, 9787, 9788, 9789, 9790, 9791, 9792, 9793, 9794, 9795, 9796, 9797, 9798, 9799, 9800, 9801, 9802, 9803, 9804, 9805).

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo, AM1184-S3-: CVA 1184-11862)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9751), "Athlone", the first Canso A built at the Sea Island plant, near Vancouver, British Columbia, 27 Jul 1942.

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo, AM1184-S3-: CVA 1184-1196)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9751), "Athlone", the first Canso A built at the Sea Island plant, near Vancouver, British Columbia, 27 Jul 1942.

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo, AM54-S4-: LP 112)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9751).  15 October 1942, taken on strength at No. 3 Training Command.  9751 was flown by the Test and Development Establishment, probably at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario.  To Canadian Vickers in Montreal on 23 Mar 1943, for special tests on radio equipment installation.  To Eastern Air Command on 1 Apr 1943.  To Clark Ruse Aircraft in Moncton, New Brunswick for repairs or overhaul on 6 May 1943, completed on 21 May, back to EAC.  To stored reserve at Mount Pleasant, Prince Edward Island on 25 Jul 1945.  Available for disposal from 2 Jun 1946.  27 June 1947, struck off, to War Assets Corporation for sale.  9751 had 384:55 airframe time when struck off. R.W.R. Walker.

 (DND Archives Photo, PMR77-147)

Boeing Canada Canso A RCAF (Serial No. 9754), belonging to 162 Squadron, RCAF, photographed in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, in 1943.  This is the aircraft that Flight Lieutenant David Hornell was flying when he and his crew were shot down on 24 Jun 1944.  Hornell was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his heroism following the crash.

 (RCAF Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso A (Serial No. 9771), c/n 22000.  No. 4 (BR) Squadron - note the stork crest on the nose.  This aircraft served with the RCAF, being accepted on 20 Apr 1943, 13 AID and d/d to Ucluelet 23 Apr 1943.  It was retained for allocation to No. 160 (BR) Squadron, Sea Island, Vancouver, BC, but probably not taken on strength.  9771 went to No. 4 (BR) Squadron on 24 Apr 1943.  I suffered Cat D damage in a landing incident at Ucluelet on 19 Apr 1944.   It was issued to Canadian Pacific Air Lines, Vancouver, BC, on 23 Aug 1944 and delivered 25 Aug, probably for repair or overhaul, which was not carried out.  It was allotted to 3 RD (WR), Sea Island for disposal on 8 Oct 1944.  It was written off and used for spares and produce.  It was struck off charge on 21 Dec 1944.

 (RCAF Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso A (Serial No. 9771), c/n 22000.  No. 4 (BR) Squadron.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3582988)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9787) with a flexible nose gun installation being developed and tested at T & DE, RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, 21 Jul 1943.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3589737)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9787), Fairey Battle, RCAF (Serial No. R7439), Avro Anson, RCAF (Serial No. 11631), Lockheed Hudson, RCAF, Rockcliffe, Ontario, 30 Jun 1943.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3589727)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9787), Fairey Battle, RCAF (Serial No. R7439), Avro Anson, RCAF (Serial No. 11631), Lockheed Hudson, RCAF, Rockcliffe, Ontario, 30 Jun 1943. 

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3589675)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9787), Fairey Battle, RCAF (Serial No. R7439), Avro Anson, RCAF (Serial No. 11631), Lockheed Hudson, RCAF, Rockcliffe, Ontario, 30 Jun 1943.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3194315)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF, No. 161 Squadron, flying over the German submarine U-889 during its surrender, May 1945.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388268)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9792), No. 3 OTU, RCAF, Patricia Bay, British Columbia, 3 May 1944.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 358979)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9793), flown by No. 160 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388270)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9798), No. 116 Squadron, Gander, Newfoundland, 13 Oct 1944.

 (DND Photo)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9802).  Taken on strength at Western Air Command (WAC) on 21 Jun 1943.  9802 was serving with No. 4 (BR) Squadron when it nosed in, then water looped to port and sank while landing in Ucluelet Inlet beside Lyche Island, British Columbia, on 9 Jul 1943.  The aircraft was recovered and subsequently repaired at Canadian Pacific airlines in Vancouver, BC on 12 Jul 1943, for repairs following its Category B crash.  It was sent to the stored reserve on 10 Jun 1944.  It returned to WAC on 29 Sep 1944.   It went back into storage with No. 2 REMU, Air Command on 7 Aug 1945.  It was struck off, to War Assets Corporation for sale on 20 Aug 1946.  R.W.R. Walker.

Canadian Vickers Canso A (139) RCAF (Serial Nos. 9806, 9807, 9808, 9809, 9810, 9811, 9812, 9813, 9814, 9815, 9816, 9817, 9818, 9819, 9820, 9821, 9822, 9823, 9824, 9825, 9826m 9827, 9828, 9829, 9830, 9831, 9832, 9833, 9834, 9835, 9836, 9837, 9838, 9839, 9840, 9841, 9842, 9843, 9844), and RCAF (Serial Nos. 11001 to 11100)

Catalinas built by Consolidated Aircraft Corporation, Boeing Aircraft Ltd and Canadian Vickers Ltd and operated by the RCAF were known as Cansos or Canso As (amphibious version).  Canadian Vickers Ltd also built OA-10A Catalinas for the USAAF.  In total, Canadian Vickers built 139 Canso As for the RCAF and 173 OA-10As for the USAAF.       

The PBY-5A models had hydraulically actuated, retractable tricycle landing gear, with a main gear design based on one from the 1920s designed by Grumman, for amphibious operation.  The bow gun position featured a turret equipped with twin .30 calibre machine guns, improved armour and a self-sealing fuel tank.

In 1950, 12 Canso A models were recorded as being converted to freighters and designated Canso 2F and nine were recorded as being converted to search and rescue versions designated Canso 2SR.  AIC St. Johns did the conversions of Cansos to Mk. 2F and Mk. 2SR, from Canso A and  Canso 2Us.  de Havilland Canada was also allotted some aircraft mostly for Freighter conversion. 
Although some Cansos were referred to as Canso 2U on some documents and data plates, 'Canso 2U' was not an official designation.  They were Canso A "Unmodified" by distinction with those that had been refurbished.  When they were returned to service, they were in turn refurbished to become Canso 2F and -2SR bringing up the fleet to a total of 23 freighters and 14 search-rescue aircraft.  (Ref. the total, Serial No. 11060 was converted from 2SR to 2F and Serial No. 11067 was converted from 2F to 2SR, hence the balance with the final total).

Aircraft Industries of Canada (AICL) St. Johns did the conversions of Cansos to Mk. 2F and Mk. 2SR, from Cansos A and Cansos 2U. de Havilland Canada was also alloted some aircraft mostly for Freighter conversion.   (Jean-Christophe Polet).

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388272)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2SR, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9830), coded CH-M with No. 103 Search and Rescue Flight, on the water at Moose Factory, Ontario, 1949.  Note the radar housing over the cockpit, possibly unique.  This aircraft was with Fondation Aerovision Quebec (FAC).  FAC later became the Quebec Air & Space Museum, which sold C-FPQK to the Collings Foundation of Stow, Massachusetts.  It was registered to their ‘CCT of 1979 B-17 Series LLC PBY series’ on 23 May 2017, Reg. No. N983CF.   It was transported by road to New Smyrna Beach, Florida, for restoration 12/13 Jun 2017 and is currently dismantled and for sale there.  9830 flew with No. 116 (BR) Squadron during the Second World War.

 (Author Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso A (Serial No. 9830), c/n CV-264, built in 1942, Reg. No. C-FPQK, Gouvernement du Quebec 712, initially preserved here with Fondation Aerovision Quebec (FAC).    FAC later became the Quebec Air & Space Museum, which sold C-FPQK to the Collings Foundation of Stow, Massachusetts.  It was registered to their ‘CCT of 1979 B-17 Series LLC PBY series’ on 23 May 2017, Reg. No. N983CF.   It was transported by road to New Smyrna Beach, Florida, for restoration 12-13 Jun 2017 and is currently dismantled and for sale there. 
 (Author Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso A (Serial No. 9830), c/n CV-264, built in 1942, Reg. No. C-FPQK.

 (Author Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso A (Serial No. 9830), c/n CV-264, built in 1942, Reg. No. C-FPQK.

 (RCAF Photo via Hugh Muer)

Consolidated Aircraft Model 28-5AMC Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. unknown), ca 1942.

Canadian Vickers Canso A (11001 to 11100).

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3643747)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11003), coded AP-K, No. 413 (Tusker) Squadron, RCAF, 15 Dec 1948.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584376)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11003), JATO equipped, No. 413 (T) Detachment No. 10 Geodetic Survey, on Golden Lake, Ontario, 17 Jun 1950.  Flying out of RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, No. 413 Squadron operated a few Cansos on mapping operations in the Arctic. I n 1946 F/L J.F. Drake, flying a Canso, rediscovered the Spicer Islands, north of Hudson Bay, which had been ‘lost’ for nearly fifty years.

 (RAMWC Photo)

Boeing Canada Canso 2F, RCAF (Serial No. 11005).  27 Oct 1943, taken on strength by Western Air Command.  Operated by No. 9 (BR) Squadron, RCAF Station Bella Bella, British Columbia, c.1943 to 1944.  11005 flew this unit's last war time patrol on 21 Aug 1944.  In storage with No. 2 Air Command from 20 Jul 1945.  Stored at RCAF Station Moose JawSaskatchewan from 19 Aug 1946.  To de Havilland Canada at DownsviewOntario on 29 Sep 1948 for conversion to Mk. 2F freighter.  Arrived there with 1585:50 airframe time, completed on 19 Mar 1949.  To North West Air Command on that date, possibly for use by K Flight.  To No. 10 Repair Depot, probably at Moose Jaw, for repairs on 12 Aug 1949.  To No. 413 (P) Squadron, RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario after this, used to deliver and support SHORAN installations across Canada.  To Air Defence Command at RCAF Station Sea IslandBC on 8 Dec 1952, for use by No. 121 (CR) Flight.  To Aircraft Industries Limited on 12 Aug 1953 for reconditioning.  To RCAF Station Lincoln Park for repairs on 20 Nov 1956, returned to No. 121 (K) Unit at Sea Island.  Stored at RCAF Station Lincoln ParkAlberta from 2 Jan 1959.  25 May 1961, to Crown Assets Disposal Corporation for sale.  Sold to Frontier Air Transport of CalgaryAlberta.  Registered as CF-NJF to North Canada Air Limited of Prince AlbertSaskatchewan in 1976.  Later registered as C-FNJF.  To Saskatchewan government on 23 Jun 1980, based at La Ronge as a fire bomber.  This registration was cancelled on 14 May 1997.  To Hicks & Lawrence, a spray operator in St, ThomasOntario, on 4 Sep 1997.  This registration was cancelled on 30 Dec 2002.  To Donald McEwan of Parry SoundOntario on 3 Feb 2003, this registration was cancelled on 20 Oct 2003.  R.W.R. Walker.

 (Adrian Pingstone Photo)

Canadian Vickers Ltd Canso A, ex-RCAF (Serial No. 11005), UK Reg. No. G-PBYA, at the 2009 Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT), Fairford, Gloucestershire, England.  Built in 1943, this aircraft is owned by Catalina Aircraft Ltd and kept at Duxford, England.  It is painted as USAAF (Serial No. 44-33915), in remembrance of this aircraft, lost-straffed at sea by a Messerschmitt Me 262 while carrying out a rescue mission.

(RCAF Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2SR, RCAF (Serial No. 11015), flying over the Fraser River in 1961.  Taken on strength by Western Air Command on 22 Nov 1943.  Delivered direct to No. 3 Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Patricia Bay, British Columbia.  Category C crash while with this unit on 8 Nov 1944.  Repaired at Patricia Bay, completed by 8 Feb 1945, when it returned to No. 3 OTU.  To storage with No. 2 Air Command on 25 Jul 1945.  To de Havilland Canada on 1 Nov 1948, for modification to Mk. 2SR search and rescue configuration.  Had 1152:55 airframe time when it arrived.  Completed by 5 Apr 1949, when it was passed to North West Air Command.  To de Havilland Canada again 19 May to 15 Jun 1950 for installation of JATO provisions, then back to NWAC.  To No. 10 Repair Depot on 4 Nov 1950 for repair of fuel leak, and installation of Goodyear pliable fuel cells.  To DHC 26 Apr to 13 Oct 1951 for removal of Goodyear cells, and resealing of wing tanks.  To Maritime Group when completed.  To Aircraft Industries Limited on 13 Feb 1952 for inspection and overhaul.  To Air Defence Command on 28 Jul 1953, for use at RCAF Station Sea Island, BC.  Probably with No. 121 (CR) Flight from this date.  To RCAF Station Lincoln Park, Alberta for modifications on 25 Mar 1957.  Still with No. 121 (K) Unit, Air Transport Command at Sea Island in Oct 1961.  To storage at Lincoln Park from 21 Nov 1961.  Available for disposal from 5 Feb 1962.  Sold to Mr. A. Meares of Calgary.  22 Jun 1962, struck off, to Crown Assets Disposal Corporation for disposal.  R.W.R. Walker.

 (DND Photo via Mike Kaehler)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2SR, RCAF (Serial No. 11015), post-war.  11015 served with No. 121 (K) Unit at RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia.  Other Cansos flown by this unit include (Serial Nos. 11005, 11015, 11024, 11033, 11040, 11041, 11060, 11067, 11075, 11079, 11087, 11089, and 11100.  Most of these aircraft were scrapped at Sea Island with the assistance of Canadian Pacific Airlines, after 1956.

 (Griffin Library Photo via Mike Kaehler)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2SR (Serial No. 11024), coded HQ, configured with JATO bottles mounted by the rear fuselage blisters.  The HQ code may stand for the Flying Instructors School.  11024 was taken on strength by Western Air Command on 7 Dec 1943.  It was delivered new to No. 3 Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Patricia Bay, British Columbia.  To Canadian Pacific Airlines at Vancouver 21 Jun to 12 Oct 1944, probably for repairs.  Stored when completed, returned to WAC on 26 Feb 1945.  To storage with No. 2 Air Command on 7 Aug 1945.  To de Havilland Canada 2 Nov 1948, for overhaul and conversion to Mk. 2SR search and rescue configuration.  Had 711:40 airframe time when it arrived.  Completed on 7 Jul 1949, to No. 6 Repair Depot for storage.  To No. 102 S&R Flight at RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario on 14 Aug 1949.  Back to DHC on 22 Aug 1949 for inspection.  To Central Experimental and Proving Establishment on 29 Sep 1949.  Back to No. 6 RD on 30 Nov 1949, "to be held on run-up basis pending allocation to contractors".  To DHC from 24 Apr to 23 Jun 1950 for JATO installation.  Delivered to RCAF Station Greenwood, Nova Scotia when completed.  To Aircraft Industries Limited on 3 Sep 1954 for modifications, completed in Sep 1955.  Delivered to RCAF Station Sea Island, BC on 14 Sep 1955 for use by No. 121 (K) Unit.  To No. 102 (KU) at Trenton on 4 Oct 1957.  Back to No. 121 (K) Unit on 29 Sep 1959.  To long term storage at RCAF Station Lincoln Park, Alberta on 12 Jan 1960, after hull repairs at Canadian Pacific Airlines at Vancouver.  Available for disposal from 9 Feb 1961.  20 Oct 1961, it was struck off, to Crown Assets Disposal Corporation for sale.Sold to Airspray Limited of Wetaskiwin, Alberta.  First registered as CF-NTK.  By 1976 registered to North Canada Air of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan as CF-UAW.  R.W.R. Walker.

 (Griffin Library Photo via Mike Kaehler)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2SR (Serial No. 11024), coded HQ, configured with JATO bottles mounted by the rear fuselage blisters.  The HQ code may stand for the Flying Instructors School.

 (DND Archives Photo, PC-2156)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2SR, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11041), over the Lion's Gate Bridge, Vancouver, British Columbia.  12 Feb 1944, 11041 was taken on strength by Western Air Command.  Loaned to BCATP for use at No. 3 Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Patricia Bay, BC on 1 Jun 1944.  To Canadian Pacific Airlines for repairs in Jul 1944, transferred to No. 22 Sub Repair Depot for completion of repairs on 9 Dec 1994, returned to WAC on 25 Mar 1945.  To No. 2 Air Command for storage on 7 Aug 1945.  Originally planned as a freighter conversion, was delivered to de Havilland Canada on 2 Oct 1948 for conversion to Mk. 2SR search and rescue configuration.  Airframe time when it arrived was 512:55.  Completed on 19 May 1949, to No. 6 Repair Depot in Ontario for storage.  Assigned to RCAF Station Greenwood, Nova Scotia, on 26 Sep 1949.  Back to DHC on 15 Jun 1950 for installation of JATO provisions.  To No. 6 RD for inspection on 11 Sep 1950.  Issued to North West Air Command on 10 Nov 1950.  To RCAF Station Sea Island, BC for use by No. 121 (CR) Flight on 10 Jul 1951.  To Aircraft Industries Limited on 7 Apr 1955 for reconditioning, a major inspection, and modifications, including removal of the ARN2 radar homing receiver fixed provisions and wiring.  On 29 Jun 1955 reported as 2270:10 airframe time since new, 1739:55 since overhaul.  Assigned to be fitted with prototype SARAH VHF homing system on 11 Sep 1956.  Back to No. 121 (CR) Flight on 28 Nov 1956.  Scrapped at Sea Island with assistance of Canadian Pacific Airlines.  22 Jul 1959, struck off after Category A crash, date not known, and scrapped.  R.W.R. Walker.

 (DND Photo via Gary Cook)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11051).  On 7 Mar 1944, 11051 was taken on strength by Western Air Command at Vancouver, British Columbia.  She was delivered new to storage.  First issued to a unit on 8 Jul 1944.  To No. 22 Sub Repair Depot on 13 Feb 1945 for repairs following a Category C crash while with No. 162 (BR) Squadron at ReykjavikIceland on 20 Dec 1944.  Received hull repairs, and new radio installation.  Returned to WAC at Vancouver on 4 Apr 1945.  To stored reserve on 20 Sep 1945.  Reported serviceable on that date, with 731:10 airframe time.  Stored at AbbotsfordBC.  To North West Air Command on 21 Nov 1947, for use at RCAF Station Fort St. John, BC by the Composite Flight.  Had 738:50 airframe time on that date.  Category B crash on 14 Apr 1948, report filed at Patricia Bay, BC.  To No. 10 Repair Depot at Calgary on 4 May 1948.  Available for disposal from 22 Jul 1948.  Had 877:15 airframe time when struck off.   13 Nov 1948, struck off, to War Assets Corporation for sale.  R.W.R. Walker.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584648)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, RCAF (Serial No. 11074), 23 Nov 1951.  Delivered new to storage.  First issued to a unit on 21 Feb 1945.  Served with No. 162 (BR) Squadron, in Iceland, coded A.  11074 flew this unit's last operational mission, a patrol from Iceland on 31 May 1945.  It was the last unit aircraft to leave Iceland, on 7 Jun 1945.  To No. 10 Repair Depot in Calgary, Alberta for conversion to freighter on 13 Aug 1945.  To North West Air Command on 5 Jun 1946, for K Flight at RCAF Station Edmonton, Alberta.  Category C crash on 6 Oct 1947.  11074 was flown to de Havilland Canada for repairs, arrived on 22 Decr 1947.  To No. 413 (P) Squadron at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario on 30 Jun 1948, following repairs and modifications.  Back to DHC 10 Jan to 31 Mar1949 for repair of leaking fuel tanks.  Back to No. 413 Squadron.  To DHC again 10 Feb to 16 Mar1950 for more fuel tank repairs and JATO installation.  Back to 413 Squadron.  To DHC for repairs on 29 Jan 1951.  To No. 408 (P) Squadron at Rockcliffe on 31 Mar 1951.  To Aircraft Industries Limited for fuel tank and fabric repairs 8 Feb to 29 Apr 1954.   To storage at No. 6 Repair Depot on 18 Oct 1954.  Stored at Dunnville, Ontario.  Available for disposal from 16 Aug 1960.  Sold to Ontario Central Airlines of Kenora, Ontario.  By 1976 registered as CF-OWE to Ilford-Riverton Airways of Winnipeg, Manitoba, their registration cancelled 1983.  To Jonathan Seagull Holdings of Vancouver, BC in 1985, their registration cancelled in 1989.  R.W.R. Walker.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3583403)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11079), 11 Aug 1944.  23 May 1944, taken on strength by No. 3 Training Command at Montreal, Quebec.  Transferred to No. 1 Air Command 15 Jan 1945.  To No. 7 Photo Wing at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario on 26 Apr 1945.  Used by No. 13 (P) Squadron at Rockcliffe.  Still with this unit when it was transferred to No. 9 (T) Group in Jul 1946.  To Fairchild Aircraft in Longueuil, Quebec from 7 Feb to 4 Jun 1947 for conversion to freighter, back to No. 9 (T) Group.  Reported in Sep 1947 as "1395:10 time since new, fitment freighter".  With No. 413 (P) Squadron, RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, c1948, coded AP-M.  Reported on 24 Mar 1948 as "1522:50 time since new, condition good, fitment freighter".  To de Havilland Aircraft Canada 17 Mar to 5 Apr 1949 for fuel tank repairs.  Back to DHC from 21 Mar to 6 May 1950 for installation of JATO, fuel tank sealing, and hull repairs.  To No. 408 (P) Squadron at Rockcliffe when completed.  Used to deliver and support portable SHORAN installations across Canada.  Coded MN079.  Back to DHC on 28 Mar 1951 for modifications and reconditioning, back to No. 408 Squadron on 12 Nov 1951.  To Aircraft Industries Limited on 2 Nov 1955 for inspection and modifications, including installation of an anti-surge valve from 27 Mar 1957.  To No. 121 (K) Unit at RCAF Station Sea Island, BC on 30 Sep1957.  To No. 102 (K) Unit at RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario on 8 May 1959.  To RCAF Station Lincoln Park, Alberta on 12 Jan 1960 for partial conversion to search and rescue configuration, but apparently without change in designation.  To No. 121 (K) Unit at Sea Island on 3 Mar 1960.  To No. 103 (R) Unit at RCAF Station Greenwood, Nova Scotia on 1 Sep 1960.  To storage at Dunnville, Ontario with No. 6 Repair Depot on 3 Jul 1961.  Available for disposal from 1 Mar 1962.  Sold to Quebec Department of Transport and Communications.  To civil register as CF-PQP, later C-FPQP.  Registration cancelled 1987.  9 Nov 1962, sStruck off, to Crown Assets Disposal Corporation for sale.  R.W.R. Walker.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3583405)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11079), No. 3 Training Command, Montreal, Quebec, 11 Aug 1944. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3583515)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11079), 25 Sep 1944. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3586082)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11079), RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario. 

 (Natural Resources Canada Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, RCAF (Serial No. 11088), with magnetometer installed in the tail boom.  This aircraft was on indefinite loan to the Federal Department of Mines from 1949 to 1958, Reg. No. CF-GMS.  11088 was taken on strength on 5 Jun 1944.  Delivered new to storage.  First issued to a unit on 8 Jul 1944.  Operated by No. 160 (BR) Squadron from RCAF Station TorbayNewfoundland, Aug to Sep 1944.  Scheduled for transfer to No. 162 (BR) Squadron, but instead went to No. 116 (BR) Squadron at RCAF Station Sydney, Nova Scotia on 2 Oct 1944.  To stored reserve on 10 Jul 1945.  Stored post war at Mount PleasantPrince Edward Island, with 463:25 airframe time.  To Fairchild Aircraft in Longueil, Quebec 26 May to 15 Jul 1947, for conversion to Mk. 2F freighter.  To Canada Car and Foundry 11 Aug to 4 Sep 1947 for re-conditioning, issued to North West Air Command when completed.  Used by K Flight out of RCAF Station Edmonton, Alberta for Operation Beetle, construction of LORAN sites in the Canadian Arctic.  Reported on 1 Dec 1947 as "time since new 581:40, condition good, fitment VIP, on loan for Operation Beetle".  Reported with No. 123 (CR) Flight at Sea Island in 1948, not confirmed.  To National Research Council at ArnpriorOntario in Apr 1948, probably for MAD trials.  To de Havilland Canada on 10 Feb 1949 for fuel tank repairs.  Loaned to federal Department of Mines on 13 Jun 1949, with MAD gear installed.  Returned to RCAF at No. 6 Repair Depot on 28 Jul 1958.  Available for disposal from 16 Aug 1960.  Sold to Quebec Department of Lands and Forests.  To civil register as CF-PQM.  Used by Quebec as a fire bomber until 1993.  Later with Buffalo Airways.  By 2006 owned by Patrick Whyte, as C-FPQM, who intends to use the aircraft in 2007 to re-enact the first commercial trans-Atlantic flight from Botwood, Newfoundland to Ireland.  R.W.R. Walker.

 (DND Photo via Chris Charland)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, RCAF (Serial No. 11089), over RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario, 1951.  This was the last Canso to fly with the RCAF.  Delivered new to storage.  Served with No. 162 (BR) Squadron, in Iceland, coded C, from 27 Sep 1944.  To storage with EAC on 21 Sep 1945, reported serviceable on that date.  Out of storage 2 Feb 1946, issued to RCAF Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia on 1 May 1946.  With No. 435 (T) Squadron, RCAF Station EdmontonAlberta, in Aug 1946.  Picked up crew of RCAF Vessel Beaver on 22 Aug 1946, after it had run aground near Cape JonesHudson's Bay.  Reported on 29 Decr 1947 as TSN 1331:30, condition fair, fitment Air Sea Rescue.  Reported on 15 Nov 1948 as 1426:15 airframe time.  Reported on 31 Mar 1949 as 1720:00 airframe time.  To de Havilland Canada 14 May to 26 Sep 1949 for modifications, returned to NWAC.  Assigned to RCAF Station Sea IslandBritish Columbia on 13 Jun 1950.  To Canadian Pacific Airlines on 3 Jul 1951 for centre section change.  To Aircraft Industries Limited from 15 Jun 1953 to 7 Jun 1954 for reconditioning.  With No. 121 (CR) Flight at Sea Island, May 1956 to Oct 1961.  To RCAF Station Lincoln Park, Alberta, for storage on 26 Nov 1961.  Later stored at DunnsvilleOntario by No. 6 RD.  Available for disposal from Aug 1962.  Sold to Quebec Department of Transportation and Communications.  Still with them in 1976, as CF-PQO.  Was C-FPQO by 1992, when the aircraft was sold to Pro Air Aviation of Bonsecours, Quebec.  Registered to G. Belanger of Bonsecours by 1995.  To Antares Air Services of OshawaOntario on 6 Aug 1999.  This registration cancelled in 2001.  R.W.R. Walker.

 (DND Photo via Bob Ayres)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, RCAF (Serial No. 11089), over RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario, 1951.  This was the last Canso to fly with the RCAF.  11089 was retired from service on 29 Nov 1962 and went into civilian service, Reg. No. CF-PQO. 

 (DND Photo via Bob Ayres)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, RCAF (Serial No. 11089), last flight ferry flight from RCAF Station Trenton, to Dunnville, then placed in storage, Ontario, 1962.

(Alain Rioux Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso A2F conversion, (Serial No. 11093), Reg. No. CF-NJL.  Gananoque Airport hangar, Ontario.  11093 flew with No. 162 (BR) Squadron during the Second World War, and No. 408 Squadron post-war.  11093 was taken on strength on 16 Jun 1944, by Eastern Air Command.  It was delivered new to stored reserve.  It served with No. 162 (BR) Squadron, probably from 5 Dec 1944, flown in Iceland, coded D.  To No. 10 Repair Depot in Calgary on 13 Aug 1945, for conversion to freighter.  It went to the Experimental and Proving Establishment on 21 May 1947, for prototyping of fuel tank modifications.  On 12 Sep 1947, 11093 was reported as "time since new 471:25, fitment standard".  With No. 413 (P) Squadron at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, Jan 1949.  On 6 Apr1949, its airframe time was reported as 590:00.  To de Havilland Canada on 17 May 1949 for modifications.  Issued to North West Air Command on 25 Oct 1949.  At Sea Island, British Columbia, 1949 to 1951.  To Canadian Pacific Airlines (Repair) Limited on 7 Sep 1951 for repairs, "on a fly in basis".  To Aircraft Industries Limited in Jan 1954 for reconditioning, and on 25 Nov 1955 for modifications, including installation of an APX6 ignition analyzer an automatic electric bilge pumps.  Assigned to No. 408 (P) Squadron, RCAF Station Rockcliffe on 23 Aug 1955.  To serviceable reserve at Lincoln Park on 10 Jul 1957.  Available for disposal there from 10 Aug 1960.  Sold to D.T. Dorosh of Edmonton, Alberta.  To civil register as CF-NJL.  Latest Certificate of Registration issued to this owner 8 Jun 2004, reported based at Kingston, Ontario at that time.  Struck off to Crown Assets Disposal Corporation on 10 Apr 1961.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3581907)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. unidentified), radio equipment, 29 Sep 1941. 

 (Ivan Mitchell Photo)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, RCAF, JATO launch, RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, ca 1950s.

 (Author Photo)

Consolidated Vultee PBY-6A Catalina (BuNo. 46655), C/N 2019, 4, C-FIZU, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Forest Service, Goose Bay, 1977.    This aircraft had a tall tail, until it was changed to the conventional tail to comply with Canadian civil registration.

 (Chris Charland Photo)

Canadian Vickers Ltd, Cartierville, Quebec, USAAF OA-10, USAAF (Serial No. 44-34094), c/n CV-605.  The last owner was the Government of Newfoundland & Labrador – Air Services Division, Reg. No. C-FDFB).  They donated the aircraft to the Botwood Heritage Centre and Botwood Flying Boat Museum, with it arriving there on 6 Aug 1990.  It has been variously painted as (Serial No. E1497), (Serial No. E1997) and (Serial No. B1960), to commemorate various anniversaries. 

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 2218627)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, 35 cent stamp, 1979.

Canso U-boat Hunters,

No. 5 (BR) Squadron was initially formed at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, as No. 5 (Flying Boat) Squadron on 16 Apr 1934, by the consolidation of Nos. 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 Detachments in the Maritimes, which had been formed at Ottawa, Ontario, in 1932.  The squadron was equipped with the Fairchild 71, and flew anti-smuggling and anti-illegal immigration patrols in support of the RCMP.

It was redesignated as a Bomber Reconnaissance squadron and was primarily used in an anti-submarine role with Eastern Air Command flying Supermarine Stranraers, Consolidated Catalinas and later Canso flying boats from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, in Aug 1941.  The squadron operated from Gander and Torbay,  Newfoundland, Nov 1942 to Aug 1944, and then moved to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.  In May 1945 the squadron moved to Gaspe, Quebec where it was disbanded on 15 Jun 1945. 

No. 5 (BR) Squadron sank one U-boat and delivered 17 attacks on 25 U-boat sightings.  The squadron delivered Eastern Air Command's last attack on a submarine on 3 May 1945.

Although the squadron carried out many patrols and convoy escorts, they did not make contact with the raiding U-boats until Feb 1943, when four attacks were made, two by F/L F.C. Colborne and crew, and one by F/O D.G. Baldwin and crew.  It is not known who made the other attack.  In Apr, F/L J.W.C. Langmuir made an attack on a U-boat.  However, in these attacks no definite results were observed and the best that could be hoped for was a ‘damaged’. 

On 4 May 1943, S/L B.H. Moffit and crew, based in Gander, Newfoundland, in Canso 9747 ‘W’, sank the U630 some 750 miles northeast of Torbay.  After this battle Moffit sighted another sub but was unable to make an attack.  On the same day, Langmuir and crew attacked a U-boat but his depth charges missed and after a running gun battle the sub escaped.  Kostenuk, Samuel; Griffin, John.  RCAF: Squadron Histories and Aircraft, 1924–1968. Canadian War Museum Historical Publication No. 14. (Sarasota/Toronto: Samuel Stevens/Hakkert & Company, 1977)

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388269)

Boeing Canada Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. unknown), No. 116 (BR) Squadron, Newfoundland, 13 Oct 1944. 

No. 116 (BR) Squadron was originally formed as a Coast Artillery Co-operation squadron until it was disbanded in 1939, and then reformed at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia on 28 Jun 1941, equipped with nine Catalina Mk. 1s and serving as a Bomber Reconnaissance squadron.  It was primarily used in an anti-submarine role and was based at Dartmouth and Sydney, Nova Scotia and Gander, Newfoundland, flying the Catalina and later, the Canadian-built Boeing Canada Canso A, before disbanding on 20 Jun 1945.  During its operational service the squadron operated out of Botwood, Newfoundland, Shelbourne, Nova Scotia, Gander, Newfoundland, and Sydney, Nova Scotia.  (No official squadron badge was approved).

On 22 Jul 1941, an attack was made on what was thought to be a U-boat by F/L N.E. Small near Halifax, Nova Scotia.  In mid-Oct 1941, three of No. 116 (BR) Squadron’s Catalinas were based at Botwood to keep watch for four U-boats operating in the Cape Race area.  On 21 Jan 1942, F/L Small and crew attacked and slightly damaged a U-boat.  On 28 Apr, they attacked another U-boat, but again with no definite results.  Later on 2 and 5 Aug, Small and crew made two attacks on the U-89.  Neither attack was successful.

 

No. 162 Squadron crest, "above barry wavy charged with five billets (depth charges) an osprey volant to dexter holding in its claws a sixth billet", authorized by Queen Elizabeth II, Feb 1960.  Motto: Sectabimur usque per ima (We will hunt them even through the lowest deeps)

No. 162 (BR) Squadron was formed as a bomber reconnaissance squadron at RCAF Station Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, on 19 May 1942 with Canso As, which it flew for its entire operational life.  The squadron spent an uneventful eighteen months on east coast anti-submarine duty.  In Jan 1944 it was seconded to RAF Coastal Command and stationed at RAF Reykjavik, Iceland, to cover the mid-ocean portion of the North Atlantic shipping route.  F/O C.C. Cunningham and crew made the first sighting and attack on a U-boat from this new base but could only claim it as damaged. 

In May 1944, the squadron moved east to RAF Wick, Scotland, to support the invasion of Normandy.  Their task was to intercept enemy submarines operating our of Norwegian ports during the first days of the Normandy invasion.  No. 162 (BR) Squadron sank four German submarines, and shared in the sinking of a fifth that tried to break through the North Transit Area to attack the Allied D-Day invasion fleet.  These engagements took place in the Norwegian Sea, roughly 200 miles north of the Shetland Islands.

On 22 Feb 1944, Consolidated Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9841), No. 162 (BR) Squadron based at Reykjavik, Iceland, flown by Flying Officer C. C. Cunningham and crew, attacked and damaged U-550. 

On 17 Apr 1944, Consolidated Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9767), No. 162 (BR) Squadron based at Reykjavik, Iceland, flown by Flying Officer T.C. Cooke and crew, sank U-342. 

On 3 Jun 1944, Consolidated Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9816), No. 162 (BR) Squadron, operating from Wick, Scotland, flown by Flight Lieutenant R.E. MacBride and crew, sank U-477 in the face of intense AA fire from the U-boat. 

On 11 Jun 1944, Consolidated Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9842), No. 162 (BR) Squadron, operating from Wick, Scotland, flown by Flying Officer L. Sherman and crew, sank U-980. 

On 13 Jun 1944, Consolidated Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9816), No. 162 (BR) Squadron, operating from Wick, Scotland, flown by Wing Commander C.G.W. Chapman and crew, sank U-715.  As a result of AA fire from the U-boat, the Canso had to ditch and the crew spent nine-hours in the water; one crewman drowned.

On 24 Jun 1944, Consolidated Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 9754), No. 162 (BR) Squadron operating from Wick, Scotland, flown by Flight Lieutenant D.E. Hornell and crew, sank U-1225.  As a result of AA fire from the U-boat, the Canso had to ditch and the crew spent 21-hours in the water with one dinghy.  Two members died before they were rescued.  Flight Lieutenant Hornell died shortly after rescue and was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for inspiring leadership, valor and devotion to duty.

No. 162 (BR) Squadron returned to Camp Maple Leaf at RAF Reykjavik later in the summer of 1944, and remained there until it returned to Canada in Jun 1945.

No. 162 Squadron was one of the few squadrons that was not renumbered in the 400-series for overseas deployment as were most RCAF units.  It was the RCAF's most successful anti-submarine squadron during the Second World War with five U-boats destroyed, one shared sinking and one U-boat damaged.  From the beginning of operations until the end of the war, the squadron flew 2100 sorties and lost 6 aircraft and 34 crew on operations, with a further 3 aircraft and 8 crew lost non-operationally.  The squadron was disbanded at Sydney, Nova Scotia on 7 Aug 1945.  Wikene, I. Canso & Catalina in the RCAF.  (Wilkinson, Les (ed.), 1979); and, Milberry, L.  Aviation in Canada : evolution of an air force. (Toronto: CANAV Books, 2010); and  Sabretache, the Official Journal of the Calgary Military History Society, Jun Extra #24, 2020.

Flight Lieutenant Hornell was flying as aircraft captain on a Canadian Vickers Canso A (Serial No. A9754), No. 162 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, RCAF, operating from RAF Wick in Northern Scotland, when the following action took place for which he was awarded the VC.  On 24 Jun 1944 on sea patrol near the Faroes in the North Atlantic, Hornell's aircraft was attacked and badly damaged by the German U-boat U-1225.  Nevertheless he and his crew succeeded in sinking the submarine.  Hornell then managed to bring his burning aircraft down on the heavy swell.  There was only one serviceable dinghy, which could not hold all the crew, so they took turns in the cold water.  By the time the survivors were rescued 21 hours later, Hornell was blinded and weak from exposure and cold.  He died shortly after being picked up.  He is buried in Lerwick Cemetery, Shetland Islands.

Citation

Flight Lieutenant Hornell was captain and first pilot of a twin-engined amphibian aircraft engaged on an anti-submarine patrol in northern waters.  The patrol had lasted for some hours when a fully-surfaced U-boat was sighted, travelling at high speed on the port beam.  Flight Lieutenant Hornell at once turned to the attack.

The U-boat altered course. The aircraft had been seen and there could be no surprise.  The U-boat opened up with anti-aircraft fire which became increasingly fierce and accurate.

At a range of 1,200 yards, the front guns of the aircraft replied; then its starboard guns jammed, leaving only one gun effective.  Hits were obtained on and around the conning-tower of the U-boat, but the aircraft was itself hit, two large holes appearing in the starboard wing.

Ignoring the enemy’s fire, Flight Lieutenant Hornell carefully manoeuvred for the attack.  Oil was pouring from his starboard engine, which was, by this time, on fire, as was the starboard wing; and the petrol tanks were endangered.  Meanwhile, the aircraft was hit again and again by the U-boat’s guns.  Holed in many places, it was vibrating violently and very difficult to control.

Nevertheless, the captain decided to press home his attack, knowing that with every moment the chances of escape for him and his gallant crew would grow more slender.  He brought his aircraft down very low and released his depth charges in a perfect straddle. The bows of the U-boat were lifted out of the water; it sank and the crew were seen in the sea.

Flight Lieutenant Hornell contrived, by superhuman efforts at the controls, to gain a little height.  The fire in the starboard wing had grown more intense and the vibration had increased.  Then the burning engine fell off.  The plight of aircraft and crew was now desperate.  With the utmost coolness, the captain took his aircraft into wind and, despite the manifold dangers, brought it safely down on the heavy swell.  Badly damaged and blazing furiously, the aircraft rapidly settled.

After ordeal by fire came ordeal by water.  There was only one serviceable dinghy and this could not hold all the crew.  So they took turns in the water, holding on to the sides.  Once, the dinghy capsized in the rough seas and was righted only with great difficulty.  Two of the crew succumbed from exposure.

An airborne lifeboat was dropped to them but fell some 500 yards down wind.  The men struggled vainly to reach it and Flight Lieutenant Hornell, who throughout had encouraged them by his cheerfulness and inspiring leadership, proposed to swim to it, through he was nearly exhausted.  He was with difficulty restrained.  The survivors were finally rescued after they had been in the water for 21 hours.  By this time Flight Lieutenant Hornell was blinded and completely exhausted.  He died shortly after being picked up.

Flight Lieutenant Hornell had completed 60 operational missions, involving 600 hours’ flying.  He well knew the danger and difficulties attending attacks on submarines.  By pressing home a skilful and successful attack against fierce opposition, with his aircraft in a precarious condition, and by fortifying and encouraging his comrades in the subsequent ordeal, this officer displayed valour and devotion to duty of the highest order.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3583331)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11033), coded R, No. 162 (BR) Squadron, 29 Jun 1944.  5 Jan 1944 - Taken on strength at No. 3 Training Command, for Test & Development Establishment.  Used by the Test and Development Establishment, at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, for tests of surface combustion heater.  To Clark Ruse Aircraft on 23 Aug 1944 for repairs.  Back to EAC on 6 Nov 1944.  Served with No. 162 (BR) Squadron, probably from 27 Mar 1945, used in Iceland, coded "R".  To storage at EAC on 7 Aug 1945.  Listed as available for disposal on 1 Mar 1946, with 251:30 airframe time.  To RCAF Station Dartmouth, NS on 12 Jun 1947 for use in Air Sea Rescue, assigned to 10 Group.  Reported in Dec 1947 as "Time since new 602:15, condition good, fitment Air Sea Rescue".  Airframe time on 15 Nov 1948 was 692:50, on 31 Mar 1949 was 1015:45.  To de Havilland Canada from 1 Dec 1949 to 17 May 1950 for overhaul and modifications.  Back at DHC for hull repairs and JATO installation, 23 Sep to 7 Dec 1950, to North West Air Command when completed.  To Air Defence Command for use at RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia on 10 Jul 1951, probably used by No. 121 Flight.  To Aircraft Industries in Jun 1953 for installation of Homelite APU, automatic electric bilge pumps, APX-6 ignition analyzer, heater modifications, blanking of windows in compartment No. 3, and replacement of engine hoses.  To storage at RCAF Station Lincoln Park, Alberta on 2 Sep 1954.  To Maritime Air Command, for use by No. 103 Rescue Unit at RCAF Station Greenwood, Nova Scotia, on 13 Dec 1954.  To Aircraft Industries Limited 24 to 27 Feb 1956 for repairs, then back to No. 103 RU.  Still there Nov 1958.  To storage at No. 6 Repair Depot at Dunnville, Ontario on 12 Jun 1961, inspection performed 30 Jun 1958.  Available for disposal from 31 Aug 1961, with only one engine fitted.  26 Apr 1962, struck off, to Crown Assets Disposal Corporation for sale.  Sold to Newfoundland Department of Mineral Resources.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3583330)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11033), coded R, No. 162 (BR) Squadron.

No. 408 Squadron was formed on 24 Jun 1941, as the second RCAF bomber squadron formed overseas.  It was officially disbanded on 5 Sep 1945.  On 10 Jan 1949, Goose Squadron was reformed at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario. Equipped with eight Lancaster Mk. X photographic aircraft, it was tasked with the mapping of Canada, specifically the far North.  In 1962, the squadron formed a flight of Canadair CT-133 Silver Starr aircraft and was given the additional task of photo reconnaissance missions in support of Army exercises.

On 29 Feb 1964, the Lancaster aircraft were retired and replaced with Douglas CC-129 Dakotas.  The Goose Squadron was moved to RCAF Station Rivers, Manitoba, and was re-designated as a transport support and area reconnaissance squadron.

On 1 May 1964, RCAF Station Rivers Transport Support Flight, at that time equipped with Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcars, was transferred into No. 408 Squadron.  In 1965, the Boxcars were replaced by Lockheed CC-130 Hercules aircraft. As the decade drew to a close, No. 408 Squadron was once again redesignated.  On 1 Oct 1968, it began its long history with No. 10 Tactical Air Group (10 TAG), as a Tactical Fighter Squadron.

During this post-war era, the squadron flew seven different aircraft: the Lancaster, Cansos, Norsman, Dakotas, Boxcars, T-33s, and Hercules aircraft.  Late in 1970, the squadron was once more disbanded.

On 1 Jan 1971, No. 408 Squadron was once again re-activated at Namao in Edmonton, Alberta, as a tactical helicopter squadron (THS) and equipped with Bell CH-135 Twin Huey and Bell CH-136 Kiowa helicopters.

 (DND Archives Photo, PC-842)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11042), coded MN, No. 408 Squadron.  12 Feb 1944, taken on strength by Western Air Command.  To No. 3 Repair Depot at Vancouver for repairs on 1 Sep 1944.  Repairs completed with assistance of Canadian Pacific Airlines, returned to WAC on 11 May 1945.  to No. 2 Air Command for storage on 20 Jul 1945.  To No. 10 RD for conversion to freighter on 15 Sep 1945.  To Aircraft industries Limited on 20 Jun 1951 for overhaul.  Issued to No. 408 (P) Squadron at RCAF Station Rockcliffe on 25 Sep 1952.  Transferred to Air Defence Command at RCAF Station Sea Island, BC on 26 Jan 1953.  Back to 408 Squadron on 16 Apr 1953.  To AIL again on 25 Nov 1955, for modifications, including installation of an ADX6 ignition analyzer, a Homelite APU, and automatic electric bilge pumps.  Back to No. 408 Squadron when work completed.  To No. 6 RD at Fingal, Ontario for storage on 10 Feb 1956.  Available for disposal from 16 Aug 1960.  15 Dec 1960, struck off, to Crown Assets Disposal Corporation for sale.  Sold to Quebec Department of Lands and Forests.  Registered as CF-PQF, still in use in 1976.  This registration cancelled on 22 Mar 1994.  To Pro Air Aviation International of Bonsecours, PQ, first registration issued on 14 Jun 1994.  This registration was cancelled in 1994, no further information.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388267)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11040), coded AK-D, No. 408 Squadron,  2 Apr 1951.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584323)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11040), coded AK-D, No. 408 Squadron, 1949.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584319)

Canadian Vickers Canso 2F, converted from Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. 11040), coded AK-D, No. 408 Squadron.  Note, sliding door with small blisters.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584169)

Canadian Vickers Canso A, RCAF (Serial No. unidentified), 11 Dec 1948.

No. 413 Squadron was created as the third RCAF squadron attached to RAF Coastal Command and equipped with PBY Catalina flying boats.  No. 413 Squadron flew reconnaissance and anti-submarine operations over the North Atlantic under Coastal Command, moving to Ceylon in Mar 1942.  It probably came under command of Air Force in India once the squadron fully arrived in Apr at Koggala.  The squadron gained fame for the actions of Squadron Leader Leonard Birchall, who detected a large Japanese task force approaching Ceylon.  This allowed time for the defenders to prepare, and foiled what could have been a major blow to the Royal Navy in the Indian Ocean.  The squadron made reconnaissance flights over the Indian Ocean until 1945.

It was stood down in Jan 1945 and sent back to the UK to reequip, possibly in preparation for being transferred to RAF Bomber Command.  However nothing came of this and the squadron was disbanded in Feb 1945 at Bournmoth. 

(DND Photo)

Consolidated Aircraft model 28-5ME, RAF Catalina Mk. I  (Serial No. AJ155), with RCAF Squadron Leader L.J. Birchall in the cockpit, ca 1942. 

This aircraft was flown by Squadron Leader L.J. Birchall, who foiled Japanese plans to destroy the Royal Navy's Indian Ocean fleet on 4 Apr 1942 when his crew detected the Japanese carrier fleet approaching Ceylon (Sri Lanka).  He would later serve as Air Commodore Leonard Joseph Birchall, CM, OBE, DFC, OOnt, CD, (6 Jul 1915 – 10 Sep 2004).

In early 1942, he joined RCAF No. 413 Squadron, then based in the Shetland Islands and flew patrols over the North Sea.  After the Japanese successes in southeast Asia, the squadron was sent to Ceylon to provide a reconnaissance force.  On 4 Apr 1942, only two days after his arrival, Squadron Leader Birchall was flying an RAF Catalina Mk. I on a patrol over the ocean to the south of Ceylon.  Nine hours into the mission, as the Catalina was about to return to base, ships were spotted on the horizon. When S/L Birchall investigated the sighting he discovered a large Japanese fleet, including five aircraft carriers, heading for Ceylon, which at that time was the base for the Royal Navy's Eastern Fleet.  Birchall's crew managed to send out a radio message, but the Catalina was soon shot down by six Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero fighters from the IJN carrier Hiryu.  The Easter Sunday Raid went ahead despite Birchall’s signal, but his warning put the defenders on alert and allowed the harbour to be partially cleared before the Japanese attacked Colombo.

Three of his crewmen were killed in the action and the others, including Birchall, spent the rest of the war as prisoners of war (PW).  For many captured servicemen, a trip to a Japanese camp meant death.  As the senior Allied officer in four successive Japanese prisoner of war camps, the resistance led by Birchall helped to reduce the Allied death rate from an average of 30% to less than 2%.  During his time in the PW camps, he repeatedly stood up to the Japanese and demanded fair treatment of the prisoners, in compliance with the Geneva Convention.  In his first camp, he struck a Japanese soldier who was forcing a wounded Australian to work.  This earned Birchall a severe beating and solitary confinement, but won him the respect of the other PWs.  In 1944, Birchall encountered a situation in which sick men were being forced to work on the docks.  He ordered all of the men to stop working until the sick were excused.  Birchall was beaten and sent to a special discipline camp, where he again was beaten.  He saved many ill soldiers by taking their beatings.  Birchall was liberated on 27 Aug 1945 by American troops.  His wife Dorothy had not known whether he was dead or alive for two years.  His diaries, written during his captivity and buried, formed the basis of a number of Allied wartime trials at which Birchall testified.

No. 413 Squadron was reformed at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, on 1 Apr 1947.  It took over the duties of No. 13 (Photographic) Squadron.  It formed part of No. 22 (Photographic) Wing under the command of No. 9 Transport Group.  It operated in this role until 1 Nov 1950. 

The squadron reformed again on 1 Aug 1951, as a fighter squadron at RCAF Station Bagotville, Quebec.  Equipped with the Canadair CL-13 Sabre, the squadron deployed to No. 3 (F) Wing, Zweibrüken, Germany.  The squadron stood down on 7 Apr 1957, and was then reformed on 1 May, operating the Avro CF-100 Canuck at Bagotville.  The squadron again disbanded on 30 Dec 1961.

The squadron was reactivated at CFB Summerside, Prince Edward Island on 8 Jul 1968, serving in its current role of a Transportation and Rescue Squadron.  With the closure of CFB Summerside, the squadron was relocated to CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia, on 10 Jun 1991, flying the Boeing Vertol CH-113 Labrador.

No. 22 (Photographic) Wing, was initially formed as No. 7 (Photographic) Wing at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario on 20 May 1944.  It was renumbered on 1 Apr 1947.  After completing the major portion of the RCAF's post-war commitment to photograph all of Canada, the squadron was disbanded on 30 Nov 1949.  The wing flew a number of different aircraft, including Cansos.

No. 102 Search and Rescue (S&R) Flight at RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario, operated a few Cansos in their rescue duties. 

No. 103 Search and Rescue (S&R) Flight at RCAF Station Greenwood, Nova Scotia, flew three Cansos on search-and-rescue work.

No. 111 Search and Rescue (S&R) Flight at Winnipeg, Manitoba, also operated some Cansos for various duties.

No. 121 Search and Rescue (S&R) Flight at Sea Island, Vancouver, British Columbia also operated several Cansos.

No. 123 Search and Rescue (S&R)) Squadron (later No. 121 (S&R) Flight) at Sea Island, British Columbia, flew Cansos in their search-and-rescue work from 1945 to 1947.  Squadron Leader A.G. Carswell AFC, CD, was a Canso pilot with No. 123 (S&R) Squadron and was awarded the Air Force Cross for bravery in a series of rescues in British Columbia.  His award was presented by Queen Elizabeth II.