Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Canadian Warplanes 2: The Biplane Era, Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker

Canadian Military Aircraft of the Biplane Era, Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker

Data current to 8 Sep 2019.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3204717)

Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker, RCAF, Reg. No. G-CYWT.  

Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker (1) Reg. No. G-CYWT, Pacemaker 30 (6) Reg. No. G-CYVF (Serial No. 607), Reg. No. G-CYFG (Serial No. 608), Reg No. G-CYFH (Serial No. 609), Reg. No. G-CYVI (Serial No. 610), Reg. No. G-CYVJ (Serial No. 611), Reg. No. G-CYVK (Serial No. 612); and Canadian Vickers Pacemaker 31 (CH-300), (6) Reg. No. C-CYUX (Serial No. 601), Reg. No. G-CYUY (Serial No. 602), Reg. No. G-CYUZ (Serial No. 603), Reg. No. G-CYVA (Serial No. 604), G-CYVB (Serial No. 605), Reg. No. G-CYVC (Serial No. 606),  for a total of 13 aircraft.

Canadian-operated Bellancas were initially imported from the United States, but later, six Bellanca CH-300s were built by Canadian Vickers Ltd., in Montreal and delivered to the RCAF (added to the first order of 29 made in 1929), which used them mainly for aerial photography.  A distinguishing feature of all Bellancas was the airfoil shape of the wing struts , which contributed additional lift and stability.  The RCAF operated 13 Pacemakers for aerial photography.

(RCAF Photo)

Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker floatplane, RCAF.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388128)

Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker floatplane, RCAF Reg. No. G-CYVG, Rockcliffe, Ontario, 15 Sep 1930.

  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3391025)

Canadian Vickers Pacemaker 31, RCAF (Serial No. 601).

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388092)

Bellanca Pacemaker 30, RCAF, G-CYVG, Fort Fitzgerald, Alberta, 1931.

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3203433)

Bellanca Pacemaker 30, RCAF, G-CYUZ.

 (Author Photo)

 (Author Photo)

 (Author Photo)

Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker (Serial No. 181), N196N, CF-ATN.  The Museum's aircraft is one of only two surviving Bellanca CH-300 Pacemakers in the world.  Built in 1929 by Bellanca Aircraft Corporation, it was sold to El Paso Air Service in Texas. Its Wright engine was replaced with a more powerful Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr. engine in 1945.  This CH-300 was operated commercially in Texas, Mexico and Alaska almost without interruption between 1929 and 1964.  It was still airworthy when the Museum purchased it in 1964, after twenty-eight years of bush flying in Alaska.  (CA&SM)