|Axis Warplane Survivors, German Aircraft: Focke-Wulf Fw 190, Fw 190D, Ta 152
Axis Warplane Survivors, German Aircraft: Focke-Wulf Fw 190, Fw 190D,
Focke-Wulf Ta 152
Axis Warplane Survivors, deutsche Flugzeuge: Focke-Wulf Fw 190, Fw 190D,
Focke-Wulf Ta 152
Data current to 16 Dec 2020.
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War that have been preserved. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are as credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
Ziel dieser Website ist es, erhaltene Kampfflugzeuge aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg zu lokalisieren, zu identifizieren und zu dokumentieren. Viele Mitwirkende haben bei der Suche nach diesen Flugzeugen mitgewirkt, um die Daten auf dieser Website.bereitzustellen und zu aktualisieren. Fotos gelten als gutgeschrieben. Alle hier gefundenen Fehler sind vom Autor und Ergänzungen, Korrekturen oder Ergänzungen zu dieser Liste der Überlebenden des Zweiten Weltkriegs sind sehr willkommen und können per E-Mail an den Autor unter firstname.lastname@example.org gesendet werden.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Würger fighter in Luftwaffe service. Roughly 28 original Fw 190s survive in museums or in the hands of private collectors around the world.
The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Würger (Shrike) is a German single-seat, single-engine fighter designed by Kurt Tank in the late 1930s and widely used during the Second World War. Along with its well-known counterpart, the Messerschmitt Bf 109, the Fw 190 became the backbone of the Luftwaffe's Jagdwaffe (Fighter Force). The Fw 190 was powered by a twin-row BMW 801 radial engine in most of operational versions, which enabled it to lift larger loads than the Bf 109. It was a multi-role aircraft, being flown as a day fighter, fighter-bomber, ground attack aircraft and in some cases as a night fighter.
The Fw 190A began flying missions over France in August 1941, and quickly proved superior in all but turn radius to the RAF's main front-line fighter, the Supermarine Spitfire Mk. V, particularly at low and medium altitudes. The Fw 190 maintained its superiority over Allied fighters until the introduction of the improved Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IX. In Nov 1942, the Fw 190 engaged in air combat debut on the Eastern Front, achieving considerable success flying in fighter wings and specialised ground attack units called Schlachtgeschwader (Strike Wings) from October 1943 onwards.
Performance of the early versions of the Fw 190 decreased at high altitudes (usually 6,000 m (20,000 ft) and above), thereby reducing its effectiveness as a high-altitude interceptor. The Fw 190A was modified extensively over its employment, initially with a turbosupercharged BMW 801 engine mounted in the Fw 190B model, and with a continuiing advances with the much longer-nosed Fw 190C model. The aircraft's design team chose to turbocharge its Daimler-Benz DB 603 inverted V12 powerplant, and then modified it again with the similarly long-nosed Fw 190D model equipped with the Junkers Jumo 213 engine. Due to problems experienced with the turbocharger installations on the Fw 190B and Fw 190C versions, only the Fw 190D model entered service, in September 1944. The "long nose" Focke-Wulfs versions put the Germans on an even footing with their Allied opponents, but were deployed too late to affect the outcome of the war.
The Fw 190 was well-liked by its pilots. Some of the Luftwaffe's most successful fighter aces claimed many of their kills while flying it, including Otto Kittel, Walter Nowotny and Erich Rudorffer. The Fw 190 provided greater firepower than the Bf 109 and, at low to medium altitude, it had superior manoeuvrability, in the opinion of German pilots who flew both fighters. It id regarded as one of the best fighter planes of the Second World War. (Wikipedia)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8 Würger fighter, White 20. Roughly 28 original Fw 190s survive in museums or in the hands of private collectors around the world. (Luftwaffe Photos)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-4/U4 from 2.(F)/123, part of NAGr 13 aufklarer unit France Summer of 1944.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 hybrid A-6/A-8, 31+ ~ Red, near Linz, Austria.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-3 Würger, (Wk. Nr. 313), single chevron, Stab III./JG2, flown by Oblt Arnim Faber. This aircraft landed in error at RAF Pembrey in South Wales on 23 June 1942. The Fw 190 was designated RAF MP499. It was the first of its type to fall into Allied hands, and after its capture it was taken by road to Farnborough and flown extensively in comparative trials with Allied fighters. It was struck off charge (SOC) in Sep 1943.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-3 Würger, (Wk. Nr. 313), repainted as RAF MP499. It was SOC in Sep 1943.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-4/U8, (Wk. Nr. 7155), H+ from II./SKG10. Designated RAF PE882, this aircraft crashed in Oct 1944.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-4/U8, (Wk. Nr. 7155), repainted as RAF PE822, this aircraft crashed in Oct 1944.
Mistel S3A, Focke-Wulf Fw 190A, (Wk. Nr. 733682), designated RAF AM75 combined with Junkers Ju 88A-6, (Wk. Nr. 2492), designated AM77. The Focke-Wulf Fw 190A is preserved in the Imperial War Museum, London, England, while the Junkers Ju 88A-6 was scrapped at Farnborough.
(Gustav Gullberg Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8/R6, (Wk. Nr. 733682), RAF AM75 on display in the Imperial War Museum, London, England. This aircraft was captured at Tirstrup, Denmark where it was found mounted on top of a Junkers Ju 88A-6 bomber, (Wk. Nr. 2492), RAF AM77, as part of a Mistel S3B combination. This aircraft has faired-over gun ports and a belly-mounted ETC-501 bomb rack. The Ju 88 was scrapped at Farnborough.
Mistel S3A designated RAF AM75 combined Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. unknown) with Ju 88H-1, (Wk. Nr. unknown). Both aircraft were scrapped at Schleswig. One of three Mistel combinations captured at Tirstrup.
Mistel S3A designated RAF AM76 combined Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. unknown) with Ju 88H-1, (Wk. Nr. unknown). Both aircraft were scrapped at Schleswig.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190. 11./JG 1, 1+-, captured at Skrydstrup, Denmark, May 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-4/U8, (Wk. Nr. 5843), "Red 9" from 1.SKG 10, landed in error at Manston, Kent in the UK on 20 May 1943. Designated RAF PM679, this aircraft crashed on 25 June 1944 and the remains were used for spare parts.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5/U8, (Wk. Nr. 2596), "White 6" from 1.SKG 10, flown by Unteroffizier Werner Ohne operating from St. Omer, France. Ohne landed accidentally at the RAF airbase at Manston on the night of 21 May 1943 and was quickly taken into custody. After capture, the aircraft was designated RAF PN999. This aircraft had a temporary black finish which was removed and British roundels added. PN999 was probably scrapped after July 1946.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A, (Wk. Nr. unknown), RAF NF754 and Fw 190A, (Wk. Nr. unknown), RAF NF755 were used in England for spare parts. Both were later scrapped at Tangmere.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8/U1, (Wk. Nr. 580058), captured at Kastrup. Designated RAF AM36, this aircraft was likely scrapped at Kastrup.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190S-1, (Wk. Nr. 582044), captured at Kastrup. Designated RAF AM37, this aircraft crashed at Sonning, England on 30 Nov 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8/U1, (Wk. Nr. 580392), captured at Kastrup. Designated AM40, this aircraft was scrapped at Schlesweg.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8, RCAF JFE.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8/R15, (Wk. Nr. unknown), captured at Travemunde where it had been flown by the Luftwaffe Torpedowaffen Versuchsanstalt (TVA) on operational trials. Flown to Farnborough on 19 July 1945 this aircraft was designated RAF AM111. It was scrapped at Cranfield, England, ca. 1950.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 171747). Designated RAF AM230, this aircraft was crashed in England on 30 Aug 1944. The remains were scrapped at Little Rissington, England.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 fighter captured by British forces having RAF roundels painted on it by German prisoners post war.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 with freshly painted RAF roundels in a German hangar, post war.
French-built NC.900 (Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8) in Armée de l’Air markings. In the immediate postwar period, the French Armée de l’Air operated a number of Fw 190 fighters (designated NC.900). 65 NC.900s were built in 1945 and 1946 by the Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Centre (S.N.C.A.C.) at Cravant, France. (Armée de l’Air Photos)
NC.900 (Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8), (Wk. Nr. 730923) preserved at the Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace, Le Bourget, France. The NC.900 No. 62 on display in the Musée de l'Air at Le Bourget is a Focke-Wulf 190A-8 made to represent an A-7. It is painted in the colours of Oberst Josef Priller, Luftwaffe Kommodore of JG 26, who accumulted 101 victories, many of them in Fw 190s.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 173056), coded "White 14", I./JG11, Reg. No. N91169 (53116656), was originally built at the Focke-Wulf factory in Marienburg in 1944,. White 14 ended its service in Rheims, France, where it was buried at the train yards after being stripped of parts. It was restored by Don Hansen, Piping Analysis Inc., Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Its first flight with a Russian-sourced radial engine took place on 9 October 2011.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-4, (Wk. Nr. TBC). This composite aircraft is being restored to Fw 190A-8 configuration with all original parts including an original BMW801S radial engine in the Militarhistorisches Museum (MHM) Flugplatz-Gatow (previously known as the Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr), Berlin-Gatow. It is armed with MG 131 cannon. Painted in RLM mottle camouflage.
(Clemens Vasters Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5, Red 10, at the Auto & Technik Museum, Sinsheim, Germany.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 170393), "Yellow 11", coded 6./JG1 is preserved in the Luftfahrtmuseum, Laatzen, Lower Saxony, Hannover, Germany. This aircraft is a new built Flug Werk airframe (c/n 990000). The largest original part is the tailplane from Fw 190F-8, (Wk. Nr. 583958). The original Yellow 11 was flown by Feldwebel Alfred Bindseil in April 1944.
Focke-Wulf 190 A-3, (Wk. Nr. 122219), IV./JG 5. This aircraft was recovered from an underwater location and is currently being rebuilt for the Norwegian Air Force Museum, Oslo, Norway.
(Alan Wilson Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-6/R6, (Wk. Nr. 550214), PN+LU, possibly flown by III./NJG 11 as it was fitted with a FuG 217 Neptun radar system, designated RAF AM10. This aircraft was built by the Ago factory in mid-1943. Initially displayed in the UK, this aircraft was shipped from Birkenhead, England to Capetown, South Africa on the SS Perthshire on 20 Oct 1946, arriving on 6 Nov. It is now on display at the South African National Museum of Military History, Saxonwold, Johannesburg, South Africa. (Colin Dodds Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190G-3, (Wk. Nr. 160043), coded DP+HQ, III.-SKG 10A-5, DP, captured in Italy.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190s, Bad Aibling, Germany, 5 May 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 681497), coded 11+-, White 11 of 5./JG 4 at St. Trond airfield, Belgium, circa 1 January 1945. This aircraft was flown during on 1 January 1945 during Operation Bodenplatte by Corporal Walter Wagner who was hit by flak during the attack over St. Trond airfield. The engine died and he had to make an emergency landing. The weapons have obviously been removed. The photo was taken by the resident USAAF 404th Fighter Group.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 681497), coded 11+-, White 11 of 5./JG 4 at St. Trond airfield after being taken over by the USAAF 404th Fighter Group. This aircraft had force-landed during Operation Bodenplatte, a Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields in France and Belgium on 1 Jan 1945. It was then painted red, but was not flown.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 681497), coded 11+-, White 11 of 5./JG 4. It had been piloted by Gefreiter Walter Wagner, of 5. II/JG4 was slightly damaged by Allied anti-aircraft fire and was forced to land at the airport of St-Trond on 1 January 1945. Wagner had taken part in an attack on 404 Fighter Group 508 Squadron’s airfield at St-Trond, Belgium during Operation Bodenplatte, a front wide attack to destroy allied aircraft on the ground. This aircraft was captured and painted overall bright orange-red to distinguish it from enemy Focke-Wulf Fw 190s. The aircraft’s code, 00–L, is likely related to the Belgian national code for aircraft registration purposes. The L may have been for its intended pilot, Leo Moon, the Squadron’s CO. It appears the aircraft was never flown and was left behind when the 404th left St-Trond.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A that was captured at Gerbini and then flown by the 85th Fighter Squadron, 79th Fighter Group of 12th Air Force. The 79th FG is the same unit that captured and flew the Messerschmitt Bf 109 Irmgard. To avoid any possibility of the aircraft being taken to be the enemy, the aircraft was painted overall red with yellow wings and red wingtips as well as a yellow fuselage band and horizontal stabilizer. It carries USAAF markings as well as the flying skull emblem of the 85th FS.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5, (Wk. Nr. unknown), captured in Sicily by the USAAF. This aircraft was painted by the 325 Fighter Squadron (FS) with a bright red cowling and red, white and blue stripes on the tail fin and an American star over an orange square on the fuselage. It was flown by 1st Lt. Jack Shafton of 317 FS from Lesinia airbase near Foggia. The plane was immediately grounded by Colonel Chester L. Sluder (commander of the unit between 1 April 1944 and 11 September 1944) due to worn out tires. After Sluder's departure from command, several pilots tried to start the aircraft, but during taxiing the canopy fell off and the plane was eventually abandoned.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5, (Wk. Nr. unknown), captured and flown by the 85th fighter squadron, 79th fighter group of 12th USAAF in Mediterranean Theatre of Operations (MTO). The aircraft is painted red overall with yellow wings with red wingtips and yellow horizontal stabilizers with red tips. It has USAAF markings (white star in blue roundel) in a broad yellow fuselage band. The plane also bears the squadron insignia of the 85th fighter squadron (flying skulls), "Jones Flying Circus".
Focke-Wulf Fw 190G-3, (Wk. Nr. 160057), one of two captured by ground crews of the 85th Fighter Squadron, 79th Fighter Group at Gerbini Airfield on the Island of Sicily, in September 1943. It was painted in a striking white scheme with red spinner, cowling, fuselage band and USN striped tail. It was shipped to the United States in January 1944, where repairs were made.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190G-3, (Wk. Nr. 160057). Later, in 1945 while in the USA, this aircraft was repainted in a standard USN 3-tone non-specular, intermediate blue and insignia white scheme. It was test flown by the Technical Air Intelligence Unit (TAIU) at NAS Anacostia, then moved to NAS Patuxent River in February 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190, (Wk. Nr. 181550), B, captured in North Africa, was flown by the USAAF 85th FS, 79th FG.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-3, (Wk. Nr. unknown), USAAF EB-101 test flown in the USA in 1944. This aircraft was later renumbered USA FE-497, later T2-497. It was scrapped at Wright Field in 1946.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190, possibly captured in Italy, USAAF markings ca 1943.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8, Germany, ca 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190G-3, (Wk. Nr. 160016), DN+FP, EB-104, later renumbered USA FE-104, later FE-125 and then T2-125, in flight over Wright Field, Ohio, and on the ground at Freeman Field, Indiana, May 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F, White 10, USA FE-113, was captured at Neubibiberg, south of Munich and shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper. It received U.S. markings. It was damaged beyond repair 12 Sep 1945 after a crash at Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania en route to Freeman Field, Indiana. (USAAF Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F, (Wk. Nr. unknown) USA FE-114, tested at Freeman Field, Indiana post-war, fate unknown.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F, (Wk. Nr.unknown), USA FE-115, tested at Freeman Field, Indiana post-war, fate unknown.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8, (Wk. Nr. unknown), factory No. 12053, USA FE-116, later T2-116 in the USA. This aircraft went to Park Ridge, Pennsylvania where it was scrapped in 1946.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8/R1, (Wk. Nr. 931884), initially coded "Yellow 10" from I./SG2. This aircraft was shipped to the USA and designated FE-117. It is restored and currently painted as "White 7", on display in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Chantilly, Virginia.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 739447), Reg. No. N447FW, on display in the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, McMinnville, Oregon.
(Joanna Poe Photos)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 (Wk. Nr. 732183), from 12./JG 5 as flown by Ltn Rudi Linz, a German ace with 70 victories. This aircraft was shot down over Norway by a British Mustang during the 'Black Friday' raid on 9 February 1945. The aircraft is displayed in the Cottbus Hangar of the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, Virginia.
(Patrick Mack Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-9, (Wk. Nr. 980574), Reg. No. NX190RF, on display in the Planes of Fame Museum, Chino, California.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-2, (Wk. Nr. 5476), JG 5, owned by Wade S. Hayes and currently located in Texas. It is thought to be one of the oldest Fw 190s still in existence.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5, (Wk. Nr. 151227), from IV/JG 54. This aircraft crashed in Voibakala forest, near Saint Petersburg in 1943. It was discovered in 1989. Now airworthy, with the Flying Heritage Collection, Paine Field, Everett, Washington.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-6, (Wk. Nr. 550470), from I./JG 26. Owned by Malcolm Laing and located in Lubbock Texas.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 173889), from 7./JG 1. This aircraft is owned by Mark Timken, currently under restoration.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 350177), from 12./JG 5. This aircraft is located at the Texas Air Museum in Rio Hondo, Texas.
(Soviet Air Force Photo)
Focke Wulf 190A-4, (Wk. Nr. 142310), "Black 2" flown by Unteroffizier Helmut Brandt of the I./JG54 "Grunherz" was captured by the Soviets on 13 January 1943 after air combat and a forced landing on the ice of Lake Ladoga in the USSR. Helmut Brandt shot off his propeller blades with a cannon round, thanks to a synchronizer failure, and he was unable to get his aircraft to his side of the front line. After lending on the ice of Lake Ladoga he tried to escape on skis, but was caught by Russian patrols.
(Soviet Air Force Photo)
Focke Wulf 190A-4, (Wk. Nr. 142310), repainted in Soviet Air Force markings as it appeared while being tested at the Soviet Air Force Scientific Research unit. It was also placed on display at a "BNT exhibition in TsAGI". Its subsequent fate is unknown.
(Soviet Air Force Photos)
Focke-Wulf Fw 109A-4, (Wk. Nr. 2362), IV/JG51 Group, 6+1, early 1944. This aircraft was captured near Newel in the USSR in Oct 1943 and flown by many Soviet Flight Research Institute pilots.
(Soviet Air Force Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 580967) captured by the Soviet Union in Feb 1945 and test flown at NII-VVS in the USSR.
During special trials conducted by the Soviet Air Forces Scientific Research Institute captured Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 682011) and Fw 190A-8, (Wk. Nr. 580967), were flown against Yak-3, Yak-9u and La-7 fighters. The engagements demonstrated that new tactical procedures were needed to counter German aircraft flying at low levels. The Focke-Wulfs usually ingressed at low altitudes and regressed at treetop level at maximum speed, making it hard to counter-attack in time. The pursuit became more complicated, because the gray matte paint concealed the German aircraft against the background of the landscape. In addition, German pilots employed engine reheat at low altitudes. It was determined that the Focke-Wulf could deliver 582 km/h, i. e. neither the Yak-3 (the aircraft at the Air Forces Scientific Research Institute developed 567 km/h) nor the Yak-9U (575 km/h) could overtake them. Only the La-5 reached 612 km/h in augmented mode, but the speed margin was insufficient to reduce the range between the two aircraft to a distance permitting aimed fire. Based on test results, the institute leadership issued recommendations: it is necessary to echelon the fighters in patrols at different altitudes. The mission of the pilots on the higher tiers would be to disrupt the bombing and to attack the enemy fighter escort, while the lower patrol aircraft, having the capability to overtake in a shallow dive, probably would be able to intercept the ground-attack aircraft themselves.
(Aldo Bidini Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw190A-8, new-build aircraft privately owned, "White 11", JP7645827. In 1997, a German company, Flug Werk GmbH, began manufacturing new Fw 190 models as reproductions. By 2012 almost 20 had been produced, most flyable, a few as static display models, with airworthy examples usually powered by Chinese-manufactured Shvetsov ASh-82 radial powerplants, which have a displacement of 41.2 litres, close to the BMW 801's 41.8 litres.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190S8 two-seat training version of the Fw 190F-8/U1, (Wk. Nr. 680430), White 30, in Luftwaffe service. The aircraft was used as a high-speed transport for senior officers or for conversion training.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8/U1 (Fw 190S8) two-seat training and high speed transport (Wk. Nr. 584219), Black 38, RAF AM29. This aircraft was built by Arado at the Warnemünde factory, and was an FW 190 F-8 converted to two-seat standard. Captured in Grove, Denmark, North of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany by British forces in May 1945. It is shown here shortly after it was flown to Farnborough in the UK on 2 Sep 1945 and repainted with RAF markings. In Luftwaffe service, it operated with training units, and carried the letters HRZ. It was exhibited at various locations, and now resides in the RAF Museum at Hendon, England.
(Les Chatfield Photo)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190S8 two-seat training and high speed transport version of the Fw 190F-8/U1 (Wk. Nr. 680430), RAF AM29, shown here as "Black 38" on display in the RAF Museum, Hendon, England. This aircraft was built by Arado at the Warnemünde factory, and was an FW 190 F-8 converted to two-seat standard. Captured in Grove, Denmark, North of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany by British forces in May 1945. In Luftwaffe service, it operated with training units, and carried the letters HRZ. It was exhibited at various locations, and now resides in the RAF Museum at Hendon, England.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190S8 two-seat training version of the Fw 190F-8/U1, (Wk. Nr. 584219), Black 38, designated RAF AM29, on display in the RAF Museum, Hendon, England.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 appears to be a late production aircraft built by Fieseler at Kassel. It has a late style canopy; the horizontal black stripe with white outline shows that this was a II. Gruppe aircraft.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 in Luftwaffe service.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, JG26, (Wk. Nr. 600651) captured at Straubing, Germany, May 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 500618) captured at Flensburg was designated RAF USA 15. This aircraft was likely scrapped at Flensberg.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-13/R11, (Wk. Nr. 836017), coded "Yellow 10" from I./JG26, captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF USA 14, this aircraft was shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper, where it was designated USA FE-118, later T2-118. This aircraft was with the Champlin Collection in Arizona, and then the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington. It is now with the Flying Heritage Collection, Paine Field, Everett, Washington.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-13/R11, (Wk. Nr. 836017) ,"Yellow 10," from 1./JG 26 as flown by Major Franz Götz. Captured at Flensberg in May 1945, this aircraft was designated RAF USA 14, and shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper. It was then numbered USA FE-118, later T2-118. Previously with the Champlin Air Museum in Arizona, this aircraft has been restored and is on display in the Flying Heritage Collection, Paine Field, Everett, Washington.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-13/R11, (Wk. Nr. 836017) ,"Yellow 10," from 1./JG 26 as flown by Major Franz Götz. USA FE-118. Previously with the Champlin Air Museum in Arizona, this aircraft is on display in the Flying Heritage Collection, Paine Field, Everett, Washington.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 211018), "White 14" from II./JG26, shipped to the USA. This aircraft was designated USA FE-119, later T2-119. It was destroyed in a crash at Freeman Field, Indiana, on 22 Sep 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 210079), 12+, "Black 12", flown by Leutnant Theo Nibel in the 10. / JG 54, and lost due to a bird strike on the morning of 1 Jan 1945 during Operation Bodenplatte. Remains shown here at Farnborough, England, late 1945.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 601088), JG 26, captured by the RAF at Flensburg. Designated RAF USA 12, this aircraft was shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper. It was alloted USA FE-120, later T2-120. It was restored by the NASM and is now on display at the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 401392), "Black 5", JG26, captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF USA 13, this aircraft was shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper and allotted USA FE-121, later T2-121. In the first photo taken at Newark, the number 31 is visible just forward and above the horizontal stabilizer referring to its loading position on HMS Reaper. The third photo shows Ken Chilstrom Wright Field test pilot, sitting in the cockpit with Bob Baird standing near the wing. This aircraft was scrapped at Freeman Field, Indiana, ca. 1946.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 401392), "Black 5", JG26, captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF USA 13, this aircraft was shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper and allotted USA FE-121, later T2-121. It was scrapped at Freeman Field, Indiana, ca. 1946.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 210968), from 2./JG 26. Captured at Flensburg, this aircraft is under restoration for the Luftwaffe Museum in Berlin, Germany.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 210596), captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF AM98, this aircraft was shipped from Birkenhead, England to Capetown, South Africa on the SS Perthshire on 20 Oct 1946, arriving on 6 Nov. After acceptance by the SAAF it was stored at 15 Air Depot, Snake Valley and during 1950 it was sold to the Benoni Technical College as an instructional airframe. It was scrapped in 1953.
Focke-Wulf Fw-190D-12, CS+IA, 1945.
(Soviet Air Force Photos)
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 flown by Soviet Baltic Fleet Air Force pilots in June 1945. The war was already over when this aircraft arrived for testing in the USSR. The flight tests suggested the Soviet La-5 was superior to the Dora in many respects.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, (Wk. Nr. 211028), coded Black 8, 14/JG26 was preserved in England after being recovered from Germany in 1996. This aircraft was registered on 21 May 2003, by Glenn R. Lacey of Epsom, Surrey, as G-DORA. (Wk. Nr. 211028) is currently with the Fighter Factory at Virginia Beach, USA, as the Lacey collection no longer exists.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-3, (Wk. Nr. 670071), from 1./SchG 1. This aircraft is being restored for the Flugplatz Museum of Cottbus, Germany.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8, (Wk. Nr. 5415), aunder restoration in New Zealand and owned by the Old Flying Machine Company.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8, (Wk. Nr. 930838), a Fw 190 F-8, currently in storage at the Yugoslav Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade.
Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8, (Wk. Nr. 931862), from 9./JG 5, the "White 1+0" as flown by Unteroffizier Heinz Orlowski. It was built by Norddeutsche Dornier at Wismar in June 1944, and transferred to the Luftwaffe on 13 July 1944. This aircraft was shot down by North American P-51D Mustangs over Norway in the "Black Friday" engagement. It was recovered in the early 1980s from a Norwegian fjord. Originally under restoration in Kissimmee, Florida, USA by The White 1 Foundation, it was transferred to The Collings Foundation in 2012, and is expected to be returned to airworthy status.
Focke-Wulf Ta 152H, high altitude fighter, CI+XM, in Luftwaffe service.
Focke-Wulf Ta 152H-1 high-altitude fighter, (Wk. Nr. 150168), captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. This aircraft was designated RAF AM11. It was scrapped at Farnborough, England in 1946. Four of these aircraft were found by the RAF in Germany and one in Denmark. Four were reported as destroyed, with AM11 being the only one sent to the UK, but Ta 152H-0/R-11 (Wk. Nr. 1500010), coded CW+CJ, "Green 4", JG301 now with the NASM in the USA came from the RAF collection.
Focke-Wulf Ta 152H-0/R-11 (Wk. Nr. 1500010), coded CW+CJ, "Green 4", JG301, USA 11, Reg. No. 32, T2/FE-112, with the NASM. This Ta 152 is the only existing example of this fighter in the world today. Definitive information about the NASM Ta 152 has always been lacking but research conducted late in 1998 may have revealed the airplane’s true identity as Werk-Nummer 150010, not 150003 or ‘020 as has been widely reported. This places the airframe toward the end of the range of pre-production H-0 models, a variant marking the transition from the Ta 152 prototypes to full production Ta 152H-1 airplanes. It was probably built at Focke-Wulf’s production facility at Cottbus, Germany, in December 1944, and delivered to Erprobungskommando Ta 152 at Rechlin, Germany, for service testing. As with most Ta 152s produced, ‘020’ was apparently transferred to Jagdgeswader (fighter squadron) JG 301 in early 1945. A green ‘4’ was painted on the fuselage and this may have been the squadron identification and radio call sign “Green 4” but much remains unknown about this aircraft. The initial information suggesting the aircraft was (Wk. Nr. 150020), was based on a type plate in the fuselage, which only designated a component. The aircraft has a wooden tail and only (Wk. Nr. 150003) and (Wk. Nr. 150010) were fitted with this and on historical photos the overpainted remains of the code CW+CJ is visible which belongs to (Wk. Nr. 150010). (Wk. Nr. 150020). was coded CW+CT. Data courtesy of Peter W. Cohausz. National Air and Space Museum, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Virginia.
As the Soviets rolled over eastern Germany, many Luftwaffe pilots took off and steered their mounts west. They preferred to be captured by the West. The British recovered “Green 4” in Aalborg, Denmark, at the end of hostilities. They turned the airplane over to “Watson’s Whizzer’s, the American unit charged with collecting Luftwaffe aircraft for further study. Lt Harold McIntosh flew ‘020 to Melun, France, where it was loaded aboard the British aircraft carrier HMS Reaper and shipped Newark Army Airfield, New Jersey. From Newark, McIntosh flew this Ta 152 to Freeman Field, Indiana. The airplane was later transferred to Wright Field, Ohio, to undergo extensive flight testing as Foreign Equipment number FE-112 (later changed to T2-112). After testing, the Army stored the aircraft and then turned it over to the National Air Museum in 1960.
In 1998 Museum restoration staff were treating deteriorated sections of the wooden aft fuselage, fin, rudder, and right elevator when they discovered several interesting items that offered tantalizing glimpses into the airplane’s shadowy past. Extensive wood rot was found in where the horizontal stabilizer joins the vertical fin. The restoration staff speculated that during testing at Wright Field, pilots and engineers became concerned that the wooden tail may have been weakened by defective glues or sabotage. They strengthened the entire area with steel plate. However, this work may have compromised flight safety because it required moving the horizontal stabilizer forward several inches, exacerbating a tail-heavy condition already known to the Germans. The restoration specialist removed the steel plate and rebuilt the tail to the original German configuration.
After comparing photographs with the aircraft, the staff determined the British painted over some of the original Luftwaffe markings. The US Army Air Force then stripped and repainted part of the airplane but NASM technicians carefully sanded through the layers of Allied paint to reveal previous markings and much of the original German paint. They found the old Foreign Equipment number, RAF markings, the Reich Defence tail bands of JG 301 (fighter wing 301), and the original Nazi swastika. The staff also found 20-mm MG 151 gun mounts and fittings in the upper cowling. However, these were not normally found in H-0 models, suggesting this airframe may have been destined to become a C-1 variant.