Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada 9: Nova Scotia

Artillery preserved in the province of Nova Scotia

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

The web page for Nova Scotia has become too big for all the guns to be listed on one page, therefore the guns on display within Annapolis Royal including Fort Anne, the City of Halifax including York Redoubt, the Fort George Citadel, the Maritime Command Museum and Royal Artillery Park etc., are listed on separate pages for Nova Scotia.    

Data current to 17 July 2017.

Nova Scotia

Arcadia

  

King George II and his Royal cypher, reigned from 11 Jun 1727 to 25 Oct 1760.  (Wikipedia Photo)

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 33-1-17 (3,741 lbs) on the barrel, left and right trunnions corroded, King George II cypher (1727-1760) on the barrel.  This gun is mounted on a concrete stand.

Arichat, Isle Madame

 (Verne Equinox Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (4,600 lbs+), maker, Serial No. and cypher unknown, No. 1 of 2, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, at Cannon Lookoff facing Arichat Harbour.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (4,600 lbs+), maker, Serial No. and cypher unknown, No. 2 of 2, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, at Cannon Lookoff facing Arichat Harbour.

Bear River

 (Ivan Smith Photo)

Cast Iron Gun possible 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading buried in the ground as a bollard at the intersection of Main and Upper River Road.

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. unknown), cenotaph, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 22.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.

Black River

 (Don Miles Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16.), (Serial Nr. 376), captured on 27 Sep 1918 by the 13th Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada) 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), East of Sains-lez-Marquion, SE of Demain, France.  Originally allocated to Hamilton, Ontario, this gun stood in Windsor until it deteriorated and was disposed of.  It was rescued and refurbished with wagon wheels and now stands on the front lawn of Major (Ret'd) Don Miles at Black River, Nova Scotia.

Kelly Hancock advises that "54th CDN" (Kootenays) is inscribed on top of the gun barrel.  This would be the 54th Battalion (Kootenay), 11th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division, CEF.

The gun's trail data plate records the date of manufacture as 1918.   According to Don Miles, at some point the gun was removed from Fort Edward and displayed at the King's College School for Boys in Windsor. Sometime around 1945-47, the boys rolled it down a hill as a Halloween prank.  It got away from them and careened straight thru the side of a barn!   Don stated that at that time a wheel was sheared off and it likely sustained the damage visible on the left seat back/armour plate.  Apparently it ended up in an old gypsum sinkhole in the woods behind the school.

Bridgewater

German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 1638), unknown, no data.  This leFH 16 was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  A plaque with the RCA badge on site reads “A Symbol of Valor, erected by the 61-107 Battery Association, 8th Army Field Regiment, RCA, two batteries mobilized in Cranbrook and Edmonton and joined together to serve in Europe 1939-45.  We Honour our departed comrades.”

QF 2-pounder pom-pom Mk. VIII, V.S.M. (Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL) Automatic Gun being manned on HMCS Assiniboine, 10 July 1940.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566434)

QF 2-pounder pom-pom Mk. VIII, V.S.M. (Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL) Automatic Gun , from HMCS Halifax.  This gun is being restored with plans that it be mounted in MTB 486 when it is restored.  The gun will be stored with HMCS York in Toronto until the restoration of MTB 486 is complete.  Internet, http://canadiancoastalforcestrust.com/pb/wp_9e7d2b2b/wp_9e7d2b2b.html.  

   (Terry Honour Photos)

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-3-26 (670 lbs), RGF No. 437, Firths Steel 4482, mounted on a wood stand in the Veterans Memorial Park.  Flanking the sign for Veterans Memorial Park south position, on the corner of York Street and Victoria Road.

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8---- (>896 lbs), RGF No. unknownstored behind the Legion.  The wooden stand has rotted out.  This gun was flanking the sign for the Veterans Memorial Park north position.

Chester

   (Ivan Smith Photos)  (BK-Hunters Photos)

Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, Serial No. CCCCLXXXIV (484) on the barrel above the trunnions, cast by H & C King (Henry & Cornelius King), 1813 above the King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, Henry Phipps, First Earl of Mulgrave, Master General of the Ordnance cypher, 1810-1818), mounted on a concrete stand, North side of the War Memorial.  No. 2 of 2.

 (Ivan Smith Photos)  (BK-Hunters Photos)

Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, Serial No. DV (505) on the barrel above the trunnions, cast by H & C King (Henry & Cornelius King), 1814 above the King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, Henry Phipps, First Earl of Mulgrave, Master General of the Ordnance cypher, 1810-1818), mounted on a concrete stand, South side of the War Memorial.  No. 1 of 2.

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 34-0-15 (3,823 lbs), left and right trunnions corroded, King George II (9 Nov 1683, r. 11 Jun 1727 to 25 Oct 1760) cypher, broad arrow mark, Royal Canadian Legion No. 44.  These guns were set up to defend Chester from Privateer raids in 1750.  No. 1 of 2.

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

Cast Iron 24-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 33-0-21 (3,717 lbs), left and right trunnions corroded, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, Royal Canadian Legion No. 44.  This gun is mounted on a concrete stand, No. 2 of 2.

Cheticamp, Cape Breton Island

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Antiaircraft Gun on wheels, Cheticamp War Memorial.

 (Ivan Smith Photo)

6-pounder 7-cwt QF Anti-Tank Gun Mk. III on a Mk. I carriage, Cheticamp War Memorial.

Clark's Harbour, Cape Sable Island

German MG 08 repair, Cdn Armourers, Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, April 1918.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3522130)

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machine-gun (Serial Nr. 142), displayed at the cenotaph.  This weapon was captured on 16 Aug 1918 by the 16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish), 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), at Schwetz Wood, East of Parvillers, France.

Digby

Digby Soldier's Cenotaph.

Dundas 32/64-pounder 58-cwt Converted Rifled Muzzleloading Gun, with Millar pattern breeching ring, converted from 32-pounder of 58 cwt, weight 59-1-0 (6,636 lbs), (RGF No. 238) on left trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a Naval gun carriage.  No. 1 of 2,  Digby Soldier’s cenotaph.

Dundas 32/64-pounder 58-cwt Converted Rifled Muzzleloading Gun, with Millar pattern breeching ring, converted from 32-pounder of 58 cwt, weight 59-2-14 (6,678 lbs), (RGF No. unknown) on left trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a Naval gun carriage.  No. 2 of 2, Digby Soldier’s cenotaph.

  

Queen Victoria and her cypher, reigned from 2 June 1837 to 22 Jan 1901, portrait at her Coronation, 1838.  (Wikipedia Photo)

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-1-11 (4,743 lbs), 1841, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 800) on right trunion, Queen Victoria cypher (1837-1901), broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 1 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park. 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 43-2-14 (4,886 lbs), 1844,  (Serial No. 2848) on left trunnion, Low Moor Ironworks of Bradford, England (Low Moor) on right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 2 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park.

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-3-6 (4,794 lbs), 1844, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 1112) on right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 3 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park. 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-3-0 (4,788 lbs), 1841, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 664) on right trunnion, CVH of breeching ring, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on concrete carriage, No. 4 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park. 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-0-26 (4,730 lbs), 1840, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 112) on right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on concrete carriage, No. 5 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park.

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-3-1 (4,677 lbs), (SOLID 116) on left trunnion, (Z) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 6 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park on Water Street.

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. 4732), 1918, mounted on a schlitten stand.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  This MG 08 is displayed at the cenotaph.  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 19, 92 Mount Street.

Fort Lawrence

Five guns were recorded as being displayed at Fort Lawrence by Parks Canada.  None are in this location at present, although they may be preserved elsewhere:

Cast Iron 3-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, with a gin Naval carriage.

Cast Iron 3-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 7-3-2 (870 lbs), broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 7-2-7 (847 lbs), mounted on an iron garrison carriage.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, No. 1 mounted on a garrison carriage.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, No. 2 mounted on a garrison carriage.

Green Island

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, Centreville, Cape Sable Island, Shelburne County.  This highly corroded gun mounted on a wood stand was likely a 12 or 18-pounder possibly salvaged from a shipwreck.  Archelaus Smith Museum.

Gut of Digby

 (Admiral Digby Museum Photo)

McConnell noted there were three examples of a Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading from the reign of King George II (1727-1760), all about 9 feet long laying on the ground on the site of an old battery at the Gut of Digby, bearing a close resemblance to the circa 1735 Gun.  David McConnell, British Smooth-Bore Artillery: A Technological Study, (Ottawa, Minister of Supply and Services Canada, 1988), p. 76.

 (Admiral Digby Museum Photos)

Possible Palliser RML 64-pounder 42-cwt Gun converted from a Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-2-10 (4,658 lbs), maker and Serial No. unknown, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, No. 1, unmounted on the ground, Admiral Digby Museum, Bay View.

Possible Palliser RML 64-pounder 42-cwt Gun converted from a Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, No. 2, unmounted on the ground, Admiral Digby Museum, Bay View

Possible Palliser RML 64-pounder 42-cwt Gun converted from a Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, No. 3, unmounted on the ground, Admiral Digby Museum, Bay View.

 (Admiral Digby Museum Photo)

According to the sessional papers in 1895, there were two 64/32 pounder Palliser conversions and five Cast Iron 32-pr 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns at Digby.  These all look the same and the 64/32 were converted from the 56-cwt guns (or larger).  They are most likely 42-cwt guns.  Doug Knight.

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (>4,592 lbs+), 41-cwt, 9 feet long, ca. 1727-1760.

Dartmouth, Albro Lake

 

Memorial plaque for the Mont Blanc Gun, and a photo of remnants of the blast reportedly taken 15-20 seconds after the Halifax explosion, 6 Dec 1917. Indications are that it was taken at Bedford Basin, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, from approximately a mile's distance looking southeast. Photographer: unknown. Although the National Library and Archives Canada description estimates the distance from the explosion as 21 km/13 mi, the actual location and distance have never been firmly established. However, the height of the blast at its peak was measured at 3,600 metres (11,811 feet or 2.25 miles) on a sextant by Captain W. M. A. Campbell of the Canadian merchant ship, Acadian, approximately 28 km (18 mi) from the harbour approaches. This measurement is consistent with the time-frame of 15-20 seconds at a distance of 1 mile. Furthermore, documented photographic evidence from the Ron Fralick Collection (photo reference numbers: 16,274 & 16,275 - Maritime Museum of the Atlantic) clearly shows the size, shape and direction of the blast cloud as it passed by York Redoubt and indicates that the original photograph was probably taken from Bedford Basin.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3531262)

Memorial plaque for the Mont Blanc and the only known photo of the ship, taken in 1913.  The memorial stands on the site where the Mont Blanc's gun came to rest.

Mont-Blanc Gun, heavily damaged, on display near the Dartmouth Museum in the early 1950s.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3517948)

Mont-Blanc Gun, heavily damaged.  On the morning of 6 December 1917, the French munitions ship Mont-Blanc, inbound for a brief stop on her way to war-torn Europe with a cargo of 200 tons of TNT, 2,300 tons of picric acid, 35 tons of benzol and 61 tons of gun cotton, collided in the harbour Narrows of Halifax with the outbound Belgian relief ship Imo.  The Mont-Blanc caught fire and blew up at 9:04:35 a.m., the most violent man-made non-laboratory explosion in history prior to the atomic bomb.  The explosion killed 1,963 people, injured more than 9,000, and destroyed much of the then north ends of Dartmouth and Halifax.  The 1,200-pound Gun from the Mont-Blanc’s stern was hurled more than two and a half kilometres over the harbour and town to Little Albro Lake.  Salvaged, and displayed at various sites, it was acquired and presented to Colonel Sidney Oland to the Dartmouth Heritage Museum, which placed it in 1992 close to where the gun had come to rest in 1917.  The Heritage Foundation, Nova Scotia.

Halifax

The web page has become to big for all the guns in Nova Scotia to be listed on one page, therefore the guns on display within the City of Halifax are listed on a separate page on this website.

La Have, Fort Point

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, King George III cypher (1760-1820), mounted on iron garrison carriage, No. 1 of 2.

 (Ivan Smith Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, King George III cypher (1760-1820), mounted on iron garrison carriage, No. 2 of 2.  

A plaque at the site reads: “Following the Treaty of St. German-en-Laye in 1632, France determined to establish a permanent settlement in Acadia.  Isaac De Razilly was appointed Lieutenant-General.  Here he built a fort and established the capital of the colony.”

Liverpool, Fort Point

 (South Surrey Scavengers Photo)

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 35-pounder 45-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 45-0-7 (5,047 lbs), 1850, Queen Victoria Cypher, Walker and Company (WC) on left trunnion, Serial No. 108 on right trunnion, mounted on a concrete stand.  No. 1 of 2 guns, located on the south side of the cairn on Fort Point.

   (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 35-pounder 45-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 44-3-0 (5,012 lbs), 1848, Queen Victoria Cypher.  No. 16 on left trunnion, 32 P and corroded word on right trunnion, mounted on a concrete stand.  No. 2 of 2 guns, located on the north side of the cairn on Fort Point.

  (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with round button, heavily corroded, no discernible markings, mounted on a wooden naval carriage.  Located on the east side of the Privateers Memorial in Privateers Park at 94 Henry Hensy Drive, No. 1 of 2.

    (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with round button, heavily corroded, no discernible markings, mounted on a wooden naval carriage.  Located on the west side of the Privateers Memorial in Privateers Park at 94 Henry Hensy Drive, No. 2 of 2.

      (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, corroded, left trunnion (36), right trunnion (108) and other markings.   192 is to the rear of the vent.  The numbers are well worn.  The bore size is greater than 4-inches which would make the gun larger than a 4-pounder (3.2-inch bore), difficult to be certain due to corrosion, but it is perhaps smaller than a 9-pounder.  This was not a government gun.  The odd cypher on top of the gun is the London Proof House mark, which was a crown over P.  It might alternatively be a Birmingham proof house mark.  Liverpool was a major port for privateers from the American Revolution right through to the War of 1812, so it could easily be from a privateer, or it may have been used as an anti-privateer weapon.  It is mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  No. 1 of 2 in front of the Queen's County Museum, 109 Main St.  (The Museum is housed in the former Liverpool Armoury).

    (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, corroded, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 2, SW in front of the Queen's County Museum, 109 Main St.

   (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, badly corroded, bore size approx. 2.5", no discernible markings, laying on a dolly inside the Queens County Museum at 109 Main St.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, badly corroded, no discernible markings, leaning against a wall inside the Queens County Museum at 109 Main St.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Bronze Lyle Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a small six-wheeled gun carriage, inside the Queens County Museum.  This Lyle type gun was used to fire life lines from ship or shore.  Light-weight rope was shot out to a wreck after it had been carefully wound on a rope-board so it would uncoil without snagging. The crews would then use this rope to haul out the heavier lines which actually carried the breeches buoy. The survivors would brought ashore or to the tugboat in a breeches buoy, which was a pair of canvas pants sewed onto a life-preserver.  These line guns are used primarily for shore based rescue operations.  The shooter would fire, aiming over the victims head and then pull the line within reach of the victim.  They are also useful for rescuing victims that have fallen through the ice, or are stranded on a cliff or burning building.  Boats in distress need larger lines.  Lyle guns were designed to throw projectiles weighing approximately 15 pounds, carrying heavier rope over 1000 feet.  Getting this equipment close to a wreck would have been difficult, given the likelihood the conditions that caused the wreck would still have been present.

Louisbourg, Fortress Louisbourg

Cast Iron 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 9-feet long, 4-inch calibre (three).

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 5-inch calibre, 9-foot, 8-inch (two).

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5.25-inch calibre, 9-foot, 8-inch.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 5-inch calibre (three), 9-foot, 10-inch long guns

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 5.5-inch (two), 9-foot, 11-inch, 5,416 lb.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5.5-inch, 10-foot, 2-inch long.

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 10-foot, 6-inch long, 5,416 lb, 5-inch calibre, (four), one is broken at the muzzle, and one has a stainless steel sleeve.

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 10-foot, 6-inch long, 5.5-inch (five).

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 10-foot, 8-inch long, (two).

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 11-feet, 2-inch long, 6-inch calibre, (four), 5,417 lbs, 5,473 lbs, 5,527 lbs, 5,621 lbs, 5,675 lbs, 5,682 lbs, and 5,772 lbs.

In January of 1719, the number and type of cannon which were present in Louisbourg were listed as: nine 36 livre guns, ten 24 livre guns, twelve 18 livre guns, seven 12 livre guns, eight 8 livre guns, four 6 livre guns, nineteen unserviceable guns, and one 9-inch mortar.  (Due to discrepancies in measurement between the English “pound” and the French “livre”, the two terms are not equivalent).

In the summer of 1744 there were 110 guns within the town itself, including six 18 livres on the King’s Bastion, ten 24 livres on the Dauphin Bastion, six 6 or 12 livre guns on the barbette facing Fauxbourg as well as three British bronze 6 livre guns facing the harbour.  There were twenty-eight 36 livre guns on the Royal battery, thirty-two 24 livre guns on the Island Battery as well as two 9-inch bronze mortars.  Twelve 36 livre guns and six 24 livre guns were mounted at Pièce de la Grave, and two 12-inch bronze mortars were placed at the Maurepas Bastion.  The Queen’s Bastion was protected with 18 and 24 livre guns while the Princess Demi-Bastion relied on smaller 6 and 8 livre guns.  Additional cannons were brought to the fortress from outlying settlements in 1758 and strategically spread throughout the town. 

An unspecified number of cannon were also located along the north-east and south-west coast at places such as Flat Point, White Point, Kennington Cove, Lorraine and Black Rock.  These pieces gave an approximate total of 168 cannons, plus an unspecified number of mortars.  The cannon in use in Louisbourg were, for the most part, mounted on marine carriages.  The mortar platforms were made from wood with iron fittings.  All artillery pieces were applied with tar and red ochre paint for preservation.

The Fortress of Louisbourg has a number of reproduction cannons on display which were reproduced to French measure.  These are distributed as close as possible to the artillery lists for 1744 for the area of the fortified town that has been reconstructed.  As a result, there are six 18-livre guns in the King’s bastion, ten 24-livre guns in the Circular Battery enclosing the Dauphin demi-bastion, five 12-livre guns on the Dauphin demi-bastion and three 8-livre guns on the Quai walls.  There are also several cannon barrels depicted as being “in store” outside the hangar d’artillerie in Block One.  There are several breech-loading reproduction pedararos (swivel guns) on display in one of the warehouses.

 (onfire4jesus Photos)

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, one of five 12-livre guns on the Dauphin demi-bastion.

The Parks Canada staff has an unidentified Bronze Coehorn smoothbore muzzleloading mortar included in an exhibit on the operation of a fortress and a reproduction Cast Iron Coehorn smoothbore muzzleloading mortar for use in their artillery animation program.  There is also a small period gun on display in this exhibit.  In the visitor reception centre there is a period French 18-livre gun and a large (probably 13 pouce) Cast Iron smoothbore muzzleloading mortar.  This mortar is a twin to one on display in the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.  B.A. (Sandy) Balcom, Cultural Management Co-ordinator, Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site.

Louisbourg

 (Streetview Photo)

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, mounted on wood blocks on the ground in front of the Louisburg Playhouse at the corner of Main Street and Harbourfront Crescent.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, buried muzzle down in the ground in front of the Louisburg Playhouse at the corner of Main St and Aberdeen St.

 (Terry Honour Photos)
Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, no visible markings, approx. 5 inch bore.  Appears to be a replica with a welded seam down the long axis of the gun.  Located at the town limits under the "Town of Louisburg" sign on Main St.
(Terry Honour Photos)
French Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, approx. 6 in bore, heavily corroded, no discernible markings. Gun was recovered from the harbour by Dominion Coal Company in 1936 and mounted at the Louisburg Railroad Station.   Located at the Rail Museum at Main St and Huntingdon Ave, south position.  No. 1 of 2.
   (Terry Honour Photos)
French Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, approx. 6 in bore, heavily corroded, no discernible markings. Gun was recovered from the harbour by Dominion Coal Company in 1936 and mounted at the Louisburg Railroad Station.   Located at the Rail Museum at Main St and Huntingdon Ave, south position.  No. 2 of 2.

Lunenburg

 (Photo courtesy of P. Williams)

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

Cast Iron 35-pounder 45-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 46-0-0 (5,152 lbs), 1848, marked with the coat of arms of Queen Victoria (1837-1901), mounted on a concrete stand, Block House Hill.**

Cast Iron 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, stamped J & H (John & Henry) King, 1812, (monogram of Henry Phipps, First Earl of Mulgrave, Master general of the Ordnance, 1810-1818), broad arrow, King George III cypher, mounted on concrete carriage.  This gun was reported to be on Block House Hill, but has been moved, location unknown.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun buried as a bollard in Lunenburg NS on private property at the corner of Cornwallis St and Cumberland Street.  Badly corroded, no visible markings.  Apparently the gun was buried on the corner of the property to prevent horse drawn wagons from cutting the corner.

     (Terry Honour Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 34-?-8 (>3,816 lbs), King George III cypher, Walker Co on left trunnion, Serial No. 65 on right trunnion, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  No. 1 of 2 guns on the golf course on the East side of the No. 9/No. 18 Tees.

      (Terry Honour Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (>3,000 lbs), King George III cypher, Serial No. 80096 CARRON 1812, on left trunnion, 12P on right trunnion, mounted on an iron garrison carriage No. 9.  No. 2 of 2 guns on the golf course on the West side of the No. 9/No. 18 Tees.

    (Terry Honour Photos)

Blomefield 18-pounder 38-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5-inch bore, buried in the ground muzzle up.  The Royal cipher is partially showing. No other markings visible. North side of gate.  This is No. 1 of 2 guns that were made into a gate at the Bluenose Golf Course on Cove Drive.  Apparently the golf course was originally known as Cannon Gate Park. 

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Blomefield 18-pounder 38-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5-inch bore, buried in the ground muzzle up.  The Royal cipher is partially showing. No other markings visible. South side of gate.  This is No. 2 of 2 guns that were made into a gate at the Bluenose Golf Course on Cove Drive, originally known as Cannon Gate Park. 

New Victoria, Fort Petrie, Cape Breton Island

 (Photo courtesy of Dennis Jarvis)

Mk MC10 “Limbo” Ahead Throwing Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) triple-barrelled Mortar, located on the eastern shore of Sydney Harbour, Cape Breton Island.  This Mortar fired time-fused bombs with a 200-pound warhead.  The Mortar was fitted to Algonquin, Crescent, St. Laurent, Restigouche, Mackenzie, Annapolis, and Iroquois Class Destroyers.

North Sydney, Cape Breton Island

American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun.  Munro Park.

Parrsboro

 (BK-Hunters Photos)

Cast Iron possibly 1-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on an iron carriage decorated with Lions, No. 1 of 2 in front of the Parrsboro Town Hall.

 (BK-Hunters Photos)

Cast Iron possibly 1-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on an iron carriage decorated with Lions, No. 2 of 2 in front of the Parrsboro Town Hall.

Peggy’s Cove

Breechloading Gun, mounted on a concrete stand.

Pictou

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (5,600 lbs+), weight corroded, (Serial No. 70013, CARRON, 1806) on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, mounted on wood blocks and a circular metal stand, mounted in front of Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 16.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a wood stand.

Port la Tour

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, mounted on a wood stand.

River John

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, CDN No. unknown, Royal Canadian Legion on the Northumberland Strait at River John Road and West Branch Road.

Riverport

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

    (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, set on a wood stand, weight 32-1-4 (3,616 lbs), 17-- Queen Anne cypher, located at 296 Lower LaHave Road on private property facing the harbour at Five Houses.

Sambro Island

 (Letterofmarque Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, unmounted, No. 1 of 2 on the ground by the Sambro Island light.

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, unmounted, No. 2 of 2 on the ground by the Sambro Island light.

Shelburne

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

9-pounder 6-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-?-? (>600 lbs), (RGF No. unknown) on left trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron carriage with wood wheels this MLR stands beside the war memorial.  There is one other 9-pounder 6-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-3-26 (670 lbs), (RGF No. 399, II, 1875) on the left trunnion, blank on the right trunnion, Firths Steel 4320 on the muzzle, Queen Victoria cypher on the barrel.  The gun is mounted on an iron carriage, WD, R.C.D. 11872, No. 60, I, with wood 12-pounder wheels, ca. 1874-1895.  This gun stands facing the Halifax Citadel.  A third 9-pounder 6-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle preserved in Canada, RGF No. unknown, is on display in the Royal Canadian Artillery Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba.  These 9-pounder 6-cwt guns were probably left behind when the British left Halifax in 1905.  All other 9-pounder Muzzleloading Rifles in Canada are 8-cwt.

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), Field Gun, (Serial Nr. 18251).  There is a six-point star in a circle.  The gun is also stamped  M753 AB, G. S7422 k.p (2), 1918.  A.B. TgL. Sp 48 (OR Cp 48). 18251.R.  No data.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  It was allocated to Shelburne in 1920 and stands beside the war memorial.

Shelburne, McNutt’s Island

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, stamped 1831, (5,600 lbs+).  Originally mounted on a wooden carriage.  It was used to sound fog alarms.  Now resting on the rocks below its former site.

 (Photos courtesy of Dennis Jarvis)

BL 10-inch M1888 Gun, (Serial No. 12 Watervliet), with the barrel mounted on a steel barbette carriage M1893 (Serial No. 11 Watervliet) rotating stand.  Dennis Jarvis indicates this  gun battery is located near the Cape Roseway Lighthouse on McNutt’s Island.  Apparently two American-made BL 10-inch M1888 guns on M1893 barbette carriages were allocated to the site, but only partial remains of (Serial No. 37), carriage (Serial No. 1) may be seen.  (A similar gun is preserved at Cape Spear, Newfoundland).  The guns had a range of 16 kilometers and were used in Fort Worden, Washington State during the First World War and brought to McNutt's Island in 1941.  The guns were garrisoned by the 104th Coast Artillery Battery.  They were part of Fort McNutt because of the threat of German submarine activity.  The Port of Shelburne had been designated as an alternate port to Halifax Harbour during the Second World War should Halifax have been rendered unserviceable.  The gun in emplacement No. 2 is in fair condition and still on its mount.  A total of eight 10-inch American ex-pats were located on the East Coast during the Second World War, including two at Prevel, Quebec, two at Cape Spear and two at Wiseman's Cove in Newfoundland, and two at Fort McNutt, Shelburne, Nova Scotia.

Breechloading Gun, type and Serial No. unknown.   The second gun on site appears to be a substantially smaller piece and is laying on the ground.

Sydney, Cape Breton Island

German First World War 17-cm mittlerer Minenwerfer, (17-cm mMW), possibly (Serial Nr. 1078),  captured by the 43rd Battalion on 8 August 1918 at Dodo Wood SW of Demuin, France.

Trenton

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns on a Mk. XIX mounting.  (IWM Photo, A 21143)

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns on a Mk. XIX mounting, Steeltown Park.

Truro

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. unknown), Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 26.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  Five machineguns were allocated to Truro, (Serial Nrs. 351, 4590, 5163, 5641 and 5829), and it may be one of these.

Wallace

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. 5417).  This weapon was captured on 28 Aug 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in the 2nd Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  The MG 08 stands at the cenotaph near St. John's United Church.

Whycocomagh, Cape Breton Island

 (Photo courtesy of Scott Baltes)

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, Whycocomagh Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 123. 

Windsor, Fort Edward

Fort Edward National Historic Site, Hants County has the oldest and only original wood Block House preserved in North America.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (1,400 lbs+), weight 4-1-7 (483 lbs), 4-feet, 6-inches long, ca. 1800 to 1820, No. 1 of 2, East of the blockhouse.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (1,400 lbs+), 4-feet, 6-inches long, ca. 1800 to 1820, No. 2 of 2, West of the blockhouse.

Yarmouth, 84th Independent Field Battery

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, No. 1 of 2 mounted on a concrete stand in front of the Armoury.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, No. 2 of 2 mounted on a concrete stand in front of the Armoury.

 (BK-Hunters Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, mounted on a wood stand.