Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada 9: Nova Scotia, Liverpool to Yarmouth

Artillery preserved in the province of Nova Scotia, Liverpool to Yarmouth

Data current to 9 Sep 2018.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

The web page for Nova Scotia has become too big for all the guns to be listed on one page, therefore the guns on display within Annapolis Royal including Fort Anne, the City of Halifax including York Redoubt, the Fort George Citadel, the Maritime Command Museum and Royal Artillery Park etc., are listed on separate pages for Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia

Liverpool

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with round button, heavily corroded, no discernible markings, mounted on a wooden naval carriage.  Located on the east side of the Privateers Memorial in Privateers Park at 94 Henry Hensy Drive, No. 1 of 2.

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with round button, heavily corroded, no discernible markings, mounted on a wooden naval carriage.  Located on the west side of the Privateers Memorial in Privateers Park at 94 Henry Hensy Drive, No. 2 of 2.

 

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, corroded, left trunnion (36), right trunnion (108) and other markings.   19214 is to the rear of the vent.  The numbers are well worn.  The bore size is greater than 4-inches which would make the gun larger than a 4-pounder (3.2-inch bore), difficult to be certain due to corrosion, but it is perhaps smaller than a 9-pounder.  This was not a government gun.  The odd cypher on top of the gun is the London Proof House mark, which was a crown over P.  It might alternatively be a Birmingham proof house mark.  Liverpool was a major port for privateers from the American Revolution right through to the War of 1812, so it could easily be from a privateer, or it may have been used as an anti-privateer weapon.  It is mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  No. 1 of 2 in front of the Queen's County Museum, 109 Main St.  (The Museum is housed in the former Liverpool Armoury).

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, trunnions corroded, French fleur-de-lis on the barrel, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 2, SW in front of the Queen's County Museum, 109 Main St.

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Cast Iron possible 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, badly corroded, bore size approx. 2.5", no discernible markings, laying on a dolly inside the Queens County Museum at 109 Main St.

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Cast Iron possible 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, badly corroded, no discernible markings, leaning against a wall inside the Queens County Museum at 109 Main St.

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Bronze Lyle Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a small six-wheeled gun carriage, inside the Queens County Museum.  This Lyle type gun was used to fire life lines from ship or shore.  Light-weight rope was shot out to a wreck after it had been carefully wound on a rope-board so it would uncoil without snagging. The crews would then use this rope to haul out the heavier lines which actually carried the breeches buoy. The survivors would brought ashore or to the tugboat in a breeches buoy, which was a pair of canvas pants sewed onto a life-preserver.  These line guns are used primarily for shore based rescue operations.  The shooter would fire, aiming over the victims head and then pull the line within reach of the victim.  They are also useful for rescuing victims that have fallen through the ice, or are stranded on a cliff or burning building.  Boats in distress need larger lines.  Lyle guns were designed to throw projectiles weighing approximately 15 pounds, carrying heavier rope over 1000 feet.  Getting this equipment close to a wreck would have been difficult, given the likelihood the conditions that caused the wreck would still have been present.

Louisbourg, Fortress Louisbourg

Cast Iron 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 9-feet long, 4-inch calibre (three).

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 5-inch calibre, 9-foot, 8-inch (two).

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5.25-inch calibre, 9-foot, 8-inch.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 5-inch calibre (three), 9-foot, 10-inch long guns

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 5.5-inch (two), 9-foot, 11-inch, 5,416 lb.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5.5-inch, 10-foot, 2-inch long.

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 10-foot, 6-inch long, 5,416 lb, 5-inch calibre, (four), one is broken at the muzzle, and one has a stainless steel sleeve.

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 10-foot, 6-inch long, 5.5-inch (five).

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 10-foot, 8-inch long, (two).

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns, 11-feet, 2-inch long, 6-inch calibre, (four), 5,417 lbs, 5,473 lbs, 5,527 lbs, 5,621 lbs, 5,675 lbs, 5,682 lbs, and 5,772 lbs.

In January of 1719, the number and type of cannon which were present in Louisbourg were listed as: nine 36 livre guns, ten 24 livre guns, twelve 18 livre guns, seven 12 livre guns, eight 8 livre guns, four 6 livre guns, nineteen unserviceable guns, and one 9-inch mortar.  (Due to discrepancies in measurement between the English “pound” and the French “livre”, the two terms are not equivalent).

In the summer of 1744 there were 110 guns within the town itself, including six 18 livres on the King’s Bastion, ten 24 livres on the Dauphin Bastion, six 6 or 12 livre guns on the barbette facing Fauxbourg as well as three British bronze 6 livre guns facing the harbour.  There were twenty-eight 36 livre guns on the Royal battery, thirty-two 24 livre guns on the Island Battery as well as two 9-inch bronze mortars.  Twelve 36 livre guns and six 24 livre guns were mounted at Pièce de la Grave, and two 12-inch bronze mortars were placed at the Maurepas Bastion.  The Queen’s Bastion was protected with 18 and 24 livre guns while the Princess Demi-Bastion relied on smaller 6 and 8 livre guns.  Additional cannons were brought to the fortress from outlying settlements in 1758 and strategically spread throughout the town. 

An unspecified number of cannon were also located along the north-east and south-west coast at places such as Flat Point, White Point, Kennington Cove, Lorraine and Black Rock.  These pieces gave an approximate total of 168 cannons, plus an unspecified number of mortars.  The cannon in use in Louisbourg were, for the most part, mounted on marine carriages.  The mortar platforms were made from wood with iron fittings.  All artillery pieces were applied with tar and red ochre paint for preservation.

The Fortress of Louisbourg has a number of reproduction cannons on display which were reproduced to French measure.  These are distributed as close as possible to the artillery lists for 1744 for the area of the fortified town that has been reconstructed.  As a result, there are six 18-livre guns in the King’s bastion, ten 24-livre guns in the Circular Battery enclosing the Dauphin demi-bastion, five 12-livre guns on the Dauphin demi-bastion and three 8-livre guns on the Quai walls.  There are also several cannon barrels depicted as being “in store” outside the hangar d’artillerie in Block One.  There are several breech-loading reproduction pedararos (swivel guns) on display in one of the warehouses.

 (onfire4jesus Photos)

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, one of five 12-livre guns on the Dauphin demi-bastion.

The Parks Canada staff has an unidentified Bronze Coehorn smoothbore muzzleloading mortar included in an exhibit on the operation of a fortress and a reproduction Cast Iron Coehorn smoothbore muzzleloading mortar for use in their artillery animation program.  There is also a small period gun on display in this exhibit.  In the visitor reception centre there is a period French 18-livre gun and a large (probably 13 pouce) Cast Iron smoothbore muzzleloading mortar.  This mortar is a twin to one on display in the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.  B.A. (Sandy) Balcom, Cultural Management Co-ordinator, Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site.

Louisbourg

 (Streetview Photo)

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, mounted on wood blocks on the ground in front of the Louisburg Playhouse at the corner of Main Street and Harbourfront Crescent.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, buried muzzle down in the ground in front of the Louisburg Playhouse at the corner of Main St and Aberdeen St.

 (Terry Honour Photos)
Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, no visible markings, approx. 5 inch bore.  Appears to be a replica with a welded seam down the long axis of the gun.  Located at the town limits under the "Town of Louisburg" sign on Main St.
(Terry Honour Photos)
French Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, approx. 6 in bore, heavily corroded, no discernible markings. Gun was recovered from the harbour by Dominion Coal Company in 1936 and mounted at the Louisburg Railroad Station.   Located at the Rail Museum at Main St and Huntingdon Ave, south position.  No. 1 of 2.
   (Terry Honour Photos)
French Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun, approx. 6 in bore, heavily corroded, no discernible markings. Gun was recovered from the harbour by Dominion Coal Company in 1936 and mounted at the Louisburg Railroad Station.   Located at the Rail Museum at Main St and Huntingdon Ave, south position.  No. 2 of 2.

Lunenburg

 

 

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 45-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 46-0-0 (5,152 lbs), 1848, left and right trunnions corroded, marked with the coat of arms of Queen Victoria (1837-1901), mounted on a concrete stand, Block House Hill.

 (Author Photo)

The Sack of Lunenburg plaque on Block House Hill.

This gun may have been equipped with lead sites similar to these preserved in the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.  (Photos courtesy of Doug Knight, the Canadian War Museum)

Cast Iron 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, stamped J & H (John & Henry) King, 1812, (monogram of Henry Phipps, First Earl of Mulgrave, Master general of the Ordnance, 1810-1818), broad arrow, King George III cypher, mounted on concrete carriage.  This gun was reported to be on Block House Hill, but has been moved, location unknown.

 (Author Photo, 5 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron possible 9-pounder smoothbore muzzleloading Gun buried as a bollard in Lunenburg NS on private property at the corner of Cornwallis St and Cumberland Street.  Badly corroded, no visible markings.  Apparently the gun was buried on the corner of the property to prevent horse drawn wagons from cutting the corner.

 (Terry Honour Photo)

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Blomefield 18-pounder 38-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5-inch bore, buried in the ground muzzle up.  The Royal cipher is partially showing. No other markings visible. North side of gate.  This is No. 1 of 2 guns that were made into a gate at the Bluenose Golf Course on Cove Drive.  Apparently the golf course was originally known as Cannon Gate Park. 

 (Terry Honour Photo)

 (Author Photo, 5 Sep 2018)

Blomefield 18-pounder 38-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, 5-inch bore, buried in the ground muzzle up.  The Royal cipher is partially showing. No other markings visible. South side of gate.  This is No. 2 of 2 guns that were made into a gate at the Bluenose Golf Course on Cove Drive, originally known as Cannon Gate Park. 

  

 (Terry Honour Photos)

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 34-?-8 (>3,816 lbs), King George III cypher, Walker Co on left trunnion, Serial No. 65 on right trunnion, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  No. 1 of 2 guns on the golf course on the East side of the No. 9/No. 18 Tees.

  

 (Terry Honour Photos)

   

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (>3,000 lbs), King George III cypher, Serial No. 80096 CARRON 1812, on left trunnion, 12P on right trunnion, mounted on an iron garrison carriage No. 9.  No. 2 of 2 guns on the golf course on the West side of the No. 9/No. 18 Tees.

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Bronze model saluting gun (12 inches long), used for special occasions at the Bluenose Golf Course.

New Victoria, Fort Petrie, Cape Breton Island

 (Photo courtesy of Dennis Jarvis)

Mk MC10 “Limbo” Ahead Throwing Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) triple-barrelled Mortar, located on the eastern shore of Sydney Harbour, Cape Breton Island.  This Mortar fired time-fused bombs with a 200-pound warhead.  The Mortar was fitted to Algonquin, Crescent, St. Laurent, Restigouche, Mackenzie, Annapolis, and Iroquois Class Destroyers.

North Sydney, Cape Breton Island

American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun.  Munro Park.

Parrsboro

 (BK-Hunters Photos)

Cast Iron possibly 1-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on an iron carriage decorated with Lions, No. 1 of 2 in front of the Parrsboro Town Hall.

 (BK-Hunters Photos)

Cast Iron possibly 1-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on an iron carriage decorated with Lions, No. 2 of 2 in front of the Parrsboro Town Hall.

Peggy’s Cove

Breechloading Gun, mounted on a concrete stand.

Pictou

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (5,600 lbs+), weight corroded, (Serial No. 70013, CARRON, 1806) on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, mounted on wood blocks and a circular metal stand, mounted in front of Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 16.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a wood stand.

Port la Tour

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, mounted on a wood stand.

River John

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, CDN No. unknown, Royal Canadian Legion on the Northumberland Strait at River John Road and West Branch Road.

Riverport

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, set on a wood stand, weight 32-1-4 (3,616 lbs), 17-- Queen Anne cypher, located at 296 Lower LaHave Road on private property facing the harbour at Five Houses.

Sambro Island

 (Letterofmarque Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, unmounted, No. 1 of 2 on the ground by the Sambro Island light.

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, unmounted, No. 2 of 2 on the ground by the Sambro Island light.

Shelburne

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

9-pounder 6-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-?-? (>600 lbs), (RGF No. unknown) on left trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron carriage with wood wheels this MLR stands beside the war memorial.  There is one other 9-pounder 6-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-3-26 (670 lbs), (RGF No. 399, II, 1875) on the left trunnion, blank on the right trunnion, Firths Steel 4320 on the muzzle, Queen Victoria cypher on the barrel.  The gun is mounted on an iron carriage, WD, R.C.D. 11872, No. 60, I, with wood 12-pounder wheels, ca. 1874-1895.  This gun stands facing the Halifax Citadel.  A third 9-pounder 6-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle preserved in Canada, RGF No. unknown, is on display in the Royal Canadian Artillery Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba.  These 9-pounder 6-cwt guns were probably left behind when the British left Halifax in 1905.  All other 9-pounder Muzzleloading Rifles in Canada are 8-cwt.

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), Field Gun, (Serial Nr. 18251).  There is a six-point star in a circle.  The gun is also stamped  M753 AB, G. S7422 k.p (2), 1918.  A.B. TgL. Sp 48 (OR Cp 48). 18251.R.  No data.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  It was allocated to Shelburne in 1920 and stands beside the war memorial.

Shelburne, McNutt’s Island

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, stamped 1831, (5,600 lbs+).  Originally mounted on a wooden carriage.  It was used to sound fog alarms.  Now resting on the rocks below its former site.

 (Photos courtesy of Dennis Jarvis)

BL 10-inch M1888 Gun, (Serial No. 12 Watervliet), with the barrel mounted on a steel barbette carriage M1893 (Serial No. 11 Watervliet) rotating stand.  Dennis Jarvis indicates this  gun battery is located near the Cape Roseway Lighthouse on McNutt’s Island.  Apparently two American-made BL 10-inch M1888 guns on M1893 barbette carriages were allocated to the site, but only partial remains of (Serial No. 37), carriage (Serial No. 1) may be seen.  (A similar gun is preserved at Cape Spear, Newfoundland).  The guns had a range of 16 kilometers and were used in Fort Worden, Washington State during the First World War and brought to McNutt's Island in 1941.  The guns were garrisoned by the 104th Coast Artillery Battery.  They were part of Fort McNutt because of the threat of German submarine activity.  The Port of Shelburne had been designated as an alternate port to Halifax Harbour during the Second World War should Halifax have been rendered unserviceable.  The gun in emplacement No. 2 is in fair condition and still on its mount.  A total of eight 10-inch American ex-pats were located on the East Coast during the Second World War, including two at Prevel, Quebec, two at Cape Spear and two at Wiseman's Cove in Newfoundland, and two at Fort McNutt, Shelburne, Nova Scotia.

Breechloading Gun, type and Serial No. unknown.   The second gun on site appears to be a substantially smaller piece and is laying on the ground.

Sydney, Cape Breton Island

German First World War 17-cm mittlerer Minenwerfer, (17-cm mMW), possibly (Serial Nr. 1078), captured by the 43rd Battalion on 8 August 1918 at Dodo Wood SW of Demuin, France.

Trenton

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns on a Mk. XIX mounting.  (IWM Photo, A 21143)

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns on a Mk. XIX mounting, Steeltown Park.

Truro

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. unknown), Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 26.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  Five machineguns were allocated to Truro, (Serial Nrs. 351, 4590, 5163, 5641 and 5829), and it may be one of these.

Wallace

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. 5417).  This weapon was captured on 28 Aug 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in the 2nd Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  The MG 08 stands at the cenotaph near St. John's United Church.  (East of Pugwash)

Whycocomagh, Cape Breton Island

 (Photo courtesy of Scott Baltes)

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, Whycocomagh Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 123. 

Windsor, Fort Edward

 

Fort Edward National Historic Site, Hants County has the oldest and only original wood Block House preserved in North America.

 

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (1,400 lbs+), weight 4-1-7 (483 lbs), 4-feet, 6-inches long, ca. 1800 to 1820, No. 1 of 2, East of the blockhouse.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (1,400 lbs+), 4-feet, 6-inches long, ca. 1800 to 1820, No. 2 of 2, West of the blockhouse.

Wolfville,  Acadia Univerity

 (Acadia University Photo)

Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, (ca 600 lbs), inscribed TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO (three joined in one), (Serial No. unknown), left and right trunnions blank, Queen Victoria cypher, S. ECCLES 1853, No. 3 on the button.  On the chase is the Master General of Ordnance's (MGO) emblem for Fitzroy James Henry Somerset , the 1st Baron Raglan, MGO in 1852-55.  His highest award was the Order of Bath.  This British bronze gun has a 92-mm calibre.  Its length with the button is 1.64 metres and without the button is 1.53 metres.  The distance from the muzzle to the trunnion axis is 850-mm.  Trunnion axis length is 365-mm.  No. 1 of 2 guns stored with the University.

Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, (ca 600 lbs), inscribed TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO (three joined in one), (Serial No. unknown), left and right trunnions blank, Queen Victoria cypher, S. ECCLES 1853, No. 3 on the button.  On the chase is the Master General of Ordnance's (MGO) emblem for Fitzroy James Henry Somerset, the 1st Baron Raglan, MGO in 1852-55.  No. 2 of 2 guns stored with the University.

Yarmouth, 84th Independent Field Battery

 

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, (roughly 5,600 lbs), (L) on left trunnion (possibly Lowmoor), (Serial No. corroded) on the right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand, No. 1 of 2 in front of the Armoury.

 

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, (roughly 5,600 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. corroded) on the right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand, No. 1 of 2 in front of the Armoury.

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, mounted on a wood stand, corner of Yarmouth County Museum.

 (Author Photos, 5 Sep 2018)

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, CDN No. unknown.