Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada 9: Nova Scotia, Arcadia to LaHave

Artillery preserved in the province of Nova Scotia

Data current to 13 Sep 2018.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

The web page for Nova Scotia has become too big for all the guns to be listed on one page, therefore the guns on display within Annapolis Royal including Fort Anne, the City of Halifax including York Redoubt, the Fort George Citadel, the Maritime Command Museum and Royal Artillery Park etc., are listed on separate pages for Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia

Arcadia

 

 (Author Photos, 9 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 33-1-17 (3,741 lbs) on the barrel, left and right trunnions corroded, King George II cypher (1727-1760) on the barrel.  This gun is mounted on a concrete stand.  Arcadia is just East of Yarmouth.

  

King George II and his Royal cypher, reigned from 11 Jun 1727 to 25 Oct 1760.  (WikipediPhoto)

Arichat, Isle Madame, Cape Breton Island

 (Verne Equinox Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (4,600 lbs+), maker, Serial No. and cypher unknown, No. 1 of 2, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, at Cannon Lookoff facing Arichat Harbour, Cape Breton.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (4,600 lbs+), maker, Serial No. and cypher unknown, No. 2 of 2, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, at Cannon Lookoff facing Arichat Harbour.

Bear River

 (Ivan Smith Photo)

Cast Iron Gun possible 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading buried in the ground as a bollard at the intersection of Main and Upper River Road.  Just East of Digby.

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. unknown), cenotaph, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 22.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.

Black River

 

 (Don Miles Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16.), (Serial Nr. 376), captured on 27 Sep 1918 by the 13th Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada) 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), East of Sains-lez-Marquion, SE of Demain, France.  Originally allocated to Hamilton, Ontario, this gun stood in Windsor until it deteriorated and was disposed of.  It was rescued and refurbished with wagon wheels and now stands on the front lawn of Major (Ret'd) Don Miles at Black River, just South of Windsor, Nova Scotia.

Kelly Hancock advises that "54th CDN" (Kootenays) is inscribed on top of the gun barrel.  This would be the 54th Battalion (Kootenay), 11th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division, CEF.

The gun's trail data plate records the date of manufacture as 1918.   According to Don Miles, at some point the gun was removed from Fort Edward and displayed at the King's College School for Boys in Windsor. Sometime around 1945-47, the boys rolled it down a hill as a Halloween prank.  It got away from them and careened straight thru the side of a barn!   Don stated that at that time a wheel was sheared off and it likely sustained the damage visible on the left seat back/armour plate.  Apparently it ended up in an old gypsum sinkhole in the woods behind the school.

Bridgewater

German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 1638), unknown, no data.  This leFH 16 was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  A plaque with the RCA badge on site reads “A Symbol of Valor, erected by the 61-107 Battery Association, 8th Army Field Regiment, RCA, two batteries mobilized in Cranbrook and Edmonton and joined together to serve in Europe 1939-45.  We Honour our departed comrades.”

QF 2-pounder pom-pom Mk. VIII, V.S.M. (Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL) Automatic Gun being manned on HMCS Assiniboine, 10 July 1940.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3566434)

QF 2-pounder pom-pom Mk. VIII, V.S.M. (Vickers, Sons & Maxim LL) Automatic Gun , from HMCS Halifax.  This gun is being restored with plans that it be mounted in MTB 486 when it is restored.  The gun will be stored with HMCS York in Toronto until the restoration of MTB 486 is complete.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

 

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-3-26 (670 lbs), left trunnion (R-G-F No. 437, II, 1876), right trunnion blank, Firths Steel No. 4482 on the muzzle, mounted on a wood stand in the Veterans Memorial Park.  Flanking the sign for Veterans Memorial Park north position, on the corner of York Street and Victoria Road, No. 1 of 2.

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 5-3-26 (670 lbs), left trunnion (RGF No. 452, II, 1876), right trunnion blank.   Mounted on a wood stand flanking the sign for Veterans Memorial Park, south position, on the corner of York Street and Victoria Road, No. 2 of 2.

Chester

Chester War Memorial with a pair of bronze 6-pounder SBML Guns at sunrise.

 (B-K Hunters Photos)

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 3----, Serial No. CCCCLXXXIV (484) on the barrel above the trunnions, cast by H & C King (Henry & Cornelius King), 1813 above the King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, Henry Phipps, First Earl of Mulgrave, Master General of the Ordnance cypher, (1810-1818), mounted on a concrete stand, North side of the War Memorial.  No. 1 of 2.

 (B-K Hunters Photos)

 

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)

Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 3----, Serial No. DV (505) on the barrel above the trunnions, cast by H & C King (Henry & Cornelius King), 1814 above the King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, Henry Phipps, First Earl of Mulgrave, Master General of the Ordnance cypher, 1810-1818), mounted on a concrete stand, South side of the War Memorial.  No. 2 of 2.

Chester Defences plaque, 1750.

 

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 34-0-15 (3,823 lbs), left corroded, (A) on the right trunnion, King George II (9 Nov 1683, r. 11 Jun 1727 to 25 Oct 1760) cypher, broad arrow mark, Royal Canadian Legion No. 44.  These guns were set up to defend Chester from Privateer raids in 1750.  No. 1 of 2.

Cast Iron 24-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 33-0-21 (3,717 lbs), left and right trunnions corroded, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, Royal Canadian Legion No. 44.  This gun is mounted on a concrete stand, No. 2 of 2.

Cheticamp, Cape Breton Island

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Antiaircraft Gun on wheels, Cheticamp War Memorial.

 (Ivan Smith Photo)

6-pounder 7-cwt QF Anti-Tank Gun Mk. III on a Mk. I carriage, Cheticamp War Memorial.

Clark's Harbour, Cape Sable Island

German MG08 repair, Canadian Armourers, Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, April 1918.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3522130)

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machine-gun (Serial Nr. 142), displayed at the cenotaph.  This weapon was captured on 16 Aug 1918 by the 16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish), 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), at Schwetz Wood, East of Parvillers, France.

Digby

Digby Soldier's Cenotaph.

Dundas 32/64-pounder 58-cwt Converted Rifled Muzzleloading Gun, with Millar pattern breeching ring, converted from 32-pounder of 58 cwt, weight 59-1-0 (6,636 lbs), (RGF No. 238) on left trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a Naval gun carriage.  No. 1 of 2,  Digby Soldier’s cenotaph.

Dundas 32/64-pounder 58-cwt Converted Rifled Muzzleloading Gun, with Millar pattern breeching ring, converted from 32-pounder of 58 cwt, weight 59-2-14 (6,678 lbs), (RGF No. unknown) on left trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a Naval gun carriage.  No. 2 of 2, Digby Soldier’s cenotaph.

   

Queen Victoria and her cypher, reigned from 2 June 1837 to 22 Jan 1901, portrait at her Coronation, 1838.  (Wikipedia Photo)

 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-1-11 (4,743 lbs), 1841, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 800) on right trunion, Queen Victoria cypher (1837-1901), broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 1 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park. 

 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 43-2-14 (4,886 lbs), 1844,  (Serial No. 2848) on left trunnion, Low Moor Ironworks of Bradford, England (Low Moor) on right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 2 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park.

 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-3-6 (4,794 lbs), 1844, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 1112) on right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 3 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park. 

  

 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-3-0 (4,788 lbs), 1841, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 664) on right trunnion, CVH of breeching ring, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on concrete carriage, No. 4 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park. 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 42-0-26 (4,730 lbs), 1840, (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 112) on right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on concrete carriage, No. 5 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park.

 

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-3-1 (4,677 lbs), (SOLID 116) on left trunnion, (Z) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete carriage, No. 6 of 6 guns in Loyalist Park on Water Street.

 

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. 4732), 1918, mounted on a schlitten stand.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade in a Canadian Division with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  This MG 08 is displayed at the cenotaph.  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 19, 92 Mount Street.

Fort Lawrence

Five guns were recorded as being displayed at Fort Lawrence by Parks Canada.  None are in this location at present, although they may be preserved elsewhere:

Cast Iron 3-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, with a gin Naval carriage.

Cast Iron 3-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 7-3-2 (870 lbs), broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 7-2-7 (847 lbs), mounted on an iron garrison carriage.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, No. 1 mounted on a garrison carriage.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 7-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, No. 2 mounted on a garrison carriage.

Fort Point Lighthouse Park

 (South Surrey Scavengers Photo)

 

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 45-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 45-0-7 (5,047 lbs), 1850, Queen Victoria Cypher, Walker and Company (WC) on left trunnion, Serial No. 108 on right trunnion, mounted on a concrete stand.  No. 1 of 2 guns, located on the south side of the cairn on Fort Point.

The two holes found above the Royal Cypher and at the vent are likely mounting holes for Millar’s sights, as described starting on page 381 of British Smoothbore Artillery by McConnell.  The mounting holes at the breech seem to be rather close to the vent, so the mounting block must have been cut to compensate for that.  (Doug Knight)

 

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 45-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, weight 44-3-0 (5,012 lbs), 1848, Queen Victoria Cypher.  No. 16 on left trunnion, 32 P and corroded word on right trunnion, mounted on a concrete stand.  No. 2 of 2 guns, located on the north side of the cairn on Fort Point.

Green Island

 (Ivan Smith Photos)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, Centreville, Cape Sable Island, Shelburne County.  This highly corroded gun mounted on a wood stand was likely a 12 or 18-pounder possibly salvaged from a shipwreck.  Archelaus Smith Museum.

Gut of Digby

 (Admiral Digby Museum Photo)

There are three Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns from the reign of King George II (1727-1760), all about 9 feet long laying on the ground on the site of an old battery at the Gut of Digby.

 (Admiral Digby Museum Photos)

Possible Palliser RML 64-pounder 42-cwt Gun converted from a Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-2-10 (4,658 lbs), maker and Serial No. unknown, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, No. 1, unmounted on the ground, Admiral Digby Museum, Bay View.

Possible Palliser RML 64-pounder 42-cwt Gun converted from a Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, No. 2, unmounted on the ground, Admiral Digby Museum, Bay View

Possible Palliser RML 64-pounder 42-cwt Gun converted from a Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, King George II cypher, broad arrow mark, No. 3, unmounted on the ground, Admiral Digby Museum, Bay View.

 (Admiral Digby Museum Photo)

According to the sessional papers in 1895, there were two 64/32 pounder Palliser conversions and five Cast Iron 32-pr 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns at Digby.  These all look the same and the 64/32 were converted from the 56-cwt guns (or larger).  They are most likely 42-cwt guns.  Doug Knight.

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight (>4,592 lbs+), 41-cwt, 9 feet long, ca. 1727-1760.

Dartmouth, Albro Lake

 

Memorial plaque for the Mont Blanc Gun.

Photo of remnants of the blast reportedly taken 15-20 seconds after the Halifax explosion, 6 Dec 1917.  Indications are that it was taken at Bedford Basin, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, from approximately a mile's distance looking southeast. Photographer: unknown. Although the National Library and Archives Canada description estimates the distance from the explosion as 21 km/13 mi, the actual location and distance have never been firmly established. However, the height of the blast at its peak was measured at 3,600 metres (11,811 feet or 2.25 miles) on a sextant by Captain W. M. A. Campbell of the Canadian merchant ship, Acadian, approximately 28 km (18 mi) from the harbour approaches. This measurement is consistent with the time-frame of 15-20 seconds at a distance of 1 mile. Furthermore, documented photographic evidence from the Ron Fralick Collection (photo reference numbers: 16,274 & 16,275 - Maritime Museum of the Atlantic) clearly shows the size, shape and direction of the blast cloud as it passed by York Redoubt and indicates that the original photograph was probably taken from Bedford Basin.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3531262), and PA-166585.

Memorial plaque for the Mont Blanc.

Mont Blanc, the only known photo of the ship, taken in 1913.  The memorial stands on the site where the Mont Blanc's gun came to rest.

Mont-Blanc Gun, heavily damaged, on display near the Dartmouth Museum in the early 1950s.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3517948)

 

Mont-Blanc Gun, heavily damaged.  On the morning of 6 December 1917, the French munitions ship Mont-Blanc, inbound for a brief stop on her way to war-torn Europe with a cargo of 200 tons of TNT, 2,300 tons of picric acid, 35 tons of benzol and 61 tons of gun cotton, collided in the harbour Narrows of Halifax with the outbound Belgian relief ship Imo.  The Mont-Blanc caught fire and blew up at 9:04:35 a.m., the most violent man-made non-laboratory explosion in history prior to the atomic bomb.  The explosion killed 1,963 people, injured more than 9,000, and destroyed much of the then north ends of Dartmouth and Halifax.  The 1,200-pound Gun from the Mont-Blanc’s stern was hurled more than two and a half kilometres over the harbour and town to Little Albro Lake.  Salvaged, and displayed at various sites, it was acquired and presented to Colonel Sidney Oland to the Dartmouth Heritage Museum, which placed it in 1992 close to where the gun had come to rest in 1917.  The Heritage Foundation, Nova Scotia.

Halifax

The web page has become to big for all the guns in Nova Scotia to be listed on one page, therefore the guns on display within the City of Halifax are listed on a separate page on this website.

LaHave

 

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, King George III cypher (1760-1820), No. 1 of 3 guns on site.

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 3 guns on site.

 

 (Author Photos, 6 Sep 2018)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 33-2-7 (3,647 lbs) on the barrel, left and right trunnions corroded, Queenn Anne cypher on the barrel.  This gun is damaged on both ends, unmounted on the ground, No. 3 of 3 guns on site.  Arcadia is just East of Yarmouth.

 

 

 

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, King George III cypher (1760-1820), mounted on iron garrison carriage, No. 2 of 2.  

A plaque at the site reads: “Following the Treaty of St. German-en-Laye in 1632, France determined to establish a permanent settlement in Acadia.  Isaac De Razilly was appointed Lieutenant-General.  Here he built a fort and established the capital of the colony.”