Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (6) Québec, Saguenay, Saint Claude, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix, Sayabec, Sept-Îles, Shawville, Shawinigan, Sherbrooke, Sorel, Sorel-Tracy, Saint-Agathe-des-Monts and Saint-Félicien

Artillery in QuébecSaguenay, Saint Claude, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix, Sayabec, Sept-Îles, Shawville, Shawinigan, Sherbrooke, Sorel, Sorel-Tracy, Saint-Agathe-des-Monts and Saint-Félicien

Data current to 14 July 2019.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Une traduction au français pour l'information technique présente serait grandement apprécié. Vos corrections, changements et suggestions sont les bienvenus, et peuvent être envoyés au hskaarup@rogers.com

Canadian field batteries were combined to form the Royal CanadiaField Artillery (RCFA), which in 1905 became the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (RCHA).  The garrison companies would become the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery (RCGA).

Les batteries de campagne seront amalgamées plus tard au sein de la Royal Canadian Field Artillery (RCFA) qui, en 1905, deviendra la Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (RCHA): pour leur part, les compagnies de garnison donneront la Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery (RCGA).

Quebec

Saguenay, HMCS Champlain

Saint Claude

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. unknown), mounted on a Schlitten stand, This trench mortar was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion within an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division, with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  No. 1 of 2 beside the cenotaph.

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08/15 Machinegun (Serial Nr. unknown), mounted on a home-made tripod.  This weapon was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion within an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division, with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  No. 2 of 2 beside the town cenotaph.

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, CFB Saint Jean

 (Author Photos)

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, Memorial Park in front of the main school building.

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean (CMR), et Le Musée du Fort Saint-Jean, 15, rue Jacques-Cartier Nord.  Artillery preserved in this location is listed on a separate page on this web site.

Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix

 

 

 

 (Chantal Pacheco Photos)
Cast Iron 18-pounder 10-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring.  The barrel is stamped 18 crown Pr, over a P proof mark, over 1813, over the weight stamp 9-3-11 (1,103 lbs).  It is mounted on a wood naval replica gun carriage. 
It was normal for the carronades to have a mounting ring under the barrel rather than the more conventional trunnions found on a gun.  Trunnioned carronades are known, but much more rare.  The Canadian War Museum has a trunnioned 6-pounder commercial variant.  
Although still in use in warships in the early 1800s, carronades were becoming less popular because of their limited range.  A ship armed with smaller guns could stand off and defeat a more heavily carronade armed ship.  This was a factor in a couple of battles on the Great Lakes in the War of 1812.  That said, carronades were popular on the commercial side as defence against privateers (and pirates) or as armament for the privateers themselves, although the better-known east coast privateers during the war of 1812 apparently had relatively small calibre weapons.
On the military side, carronades were widely used in the fortifications to sweep the moats, and in the Martello towers.  Fort Henry in Kingston has quite a few.  As carronade is a commercial venture, this would not apply here.  (Doug Knight)
Carron lost their contracts for guns for the British Government in the 1770s and were only allowed to supply carronades. However by the late 1790s the British government were running out of competent gunfounders and had to ask Carron to start supply long guns again.  The government then asked the smaller ironworks to take up the slack and supply carronades so Carron could concentrate on the big guns. So there is a possibility this commercial carronade was made by someone else.  When the Carronade was turned upside down and examined, it was shown by have been made by William Graham & sons. Other other companies like Carron, as well as Clyde and Sturges cast them, too, and have different marks.  This Carronade is the sort of weapon, given the times following 1812, that Post Office pacquets, armed troop ships, Hudson Bay Traders, Military store-ships would have used.  Unknown if  licensed privateers would have had access to Woolwich proofed carronades.  Possibly some of the Lakes communities could have ordered them from Britain and some were lost sea, or later in its working life.  (Ruth Rhynas Brown)
In 1968, Guy Millette, a young pharmacist who desperately needed a vacation, decided to leave on a road trip.  He and his wife ended up in Nova-Scotia.  One day, as they were sitting in a restaurant, they overheard some men talk about a cannon they had found in 75 feet of water,  off the coast  of Louisbourg fortress. The divers found more than one cannon.  He, somehow, ended up buying the cannon cash with no receipt. It  was to be delivered to Montreal by train.  Back home, he realised he had lost the coordinates of the individuals that sold him the cannon.  He thought he had lost it (and his money) for ever.  One year later, he got a call from CN telling him the cannon had arrived.  It has been by the Saint-Laurent river ever since.  This Carronade was acquired by Alain Bisaillon, and will be kept on a site near the Richelieu river, Quebec.  (Chantal Pacheco)

Sayabec

 (Amqui Photo)

 (Weathervane Photos)

German First World War 10.5-cm Feldhaubitze 98/09 (10.5-cm FH 98/09), (Serial Nr. 2908).  This gun was captured on 9 Oct 1917 by the 27th Battalion (City of Winnipeg), 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), near the edge of Farbus Wood at Vimy, France.  The gun was taken over by the 4th Howitzer Battery and used in action against the Germans.   It was on display in a park at Tournant-de-la-Rivière de Sayabec.  The gun was relocated to the Municipal Park in 1977.

Ce canon a été capturé des forces allemandes par le 27e Bataillon, le 9 octobre 1917, près du bois Farbus à la bataille de la crête de Vimy.  Allemand Première Guerre mondiale de 10,5 cm Feldhaubitze 98/09 (10,5 cm FH 98/09), (n ° de série 2908). Ce canon a été capturé par le 27e Bataillon le 9 octobre 1917 près du bois Farbus à Vimy. Le canon a été repris par la 4e batterie d'obusiers et utilisé dans la lutte contre les Allemands.

Sept-Îles, HMCS Joliet

Shawville

 (Normand Roberge Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, located in a small park. 

Shawinigan

 (Michel Lapointe Photos)

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 77, acquired from the 62nd Field Regiment (Shawinigan) in 2002.

Shawinigan, 62nd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

The 62nd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA (62e Régiment d'artillerie de campagne, ARC) is a Primary Reserve Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) regiment of the Canadian Army that has its own military band and is located in Shawinigan, Quebec.  It recruits primarily in Shawinigan, Joliette and Victoriaville.  Sub units of 62e include the 81st Field Battery and the 185th Field Battery.

 (LCol Yvon Begin Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, on loan to 62 RAC from HMCS Radisson, Trois-Rivières (Marine).  

Sherbrooke

 (Author Photos)

Cast Iron 18-pounder 10-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight stamp 9-3-11 (1,103 lbs), mounted on an iron garrison carriage, to the right of the Sherman tank.  

 (Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 9-pounder 19-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight stamp 19-3-21 (2,233 lbs), maker and Serial No. unknown, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand, left of the Sherman tank.  

 (Streetview Photo)

4-inch/40 Gun QF Mk. XVI* Gun on a Mk. XIX mounting, in front of the ANAF Veterans Unit No. 318 at 300 St Francis St.

Sorel

 

 (jacfran58 Photos)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 4l bs 5 oz, mounted on a concrete stand, No. 1 of 3 guns behind the Governor's Cottage at 90 des Patriotes Road.

Petit canon 1, mesure 4 pieds 5 pouces, à l'arrière de Maison des Gouverneurs, 90 des Patriotes Road.

Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Gun, weight 49-2-23 (5,567 lbs), maker and Serial No. unknown, broad arrow, mounted on a concrete stand, No. 2 of 3 guns behind the Governor's Cottage at 90 des Patriotes Road.

Le gros canon mesure 10½ pieds avec le poids CWT 49-2-23 (5567 livres) et avec la flèche Britannique, à l'arrière de Maison des Gouverneurs, 90 des Patriotes Road.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a concrete stand No. 3 of 3 guns behind the Governor's Cottage at 90 des Patriotes Road.

Petit canon 2, mesure 4 pieds et 4 pouces calibre plus petit que le canon 1, à l'arrière de Maison des Gouverneurs, 90 des Patriotes Road.

Sorel-Tracy

 (jacfran58 Photos)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, St-Joseph Street Park.

L’obusier 25 Pounder Mk II a été fabriqué et assemblé par Sorel Industries Ltd.  Le parc est situé tout près de l’endroit où il a été fabriqué au coin des rues St-Joseph, Chevrier et McCarthy près du Centre récréatif Aussant par Sorel industries limited.

Saint-Agathe-des-Monts

 (Streetview Photo)

German Great War 24-cm Flügelminenwerfer ‘Iko’, Albrecht (finned smoothbore Trench Mortar), (Serial Nr. 1351), no data.  This trench mortar was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion within an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in France.  It is mounted on a concrete stand at the corner of Rue St Joseph and Rue Leblanc.

Saint-Félicien

   (Normand Roberge Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-11 (1,915 lbs), mounted on a wood carriage, No. 1 of 4.

(Normand Roberge Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-3 (1,907 lbs), mounted on a wood carriage, No. 2 of 4.

  (Normand Roberge Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-21 (1,925 lbs), mounted on a wood carriage, No. 3 of 4. 

  (Normand Roberge Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-2-0 (1,960 lbs), mounted on a wood carriage, No. 4 of 4. 

 (Normand Roberge Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 161) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  No. 1.  

 (Normand Roberge Photos)

12-pounder 6-cwt Breechloading Mk. I Gun, weight 6-0-12 (682 lbs), (RGF No. unknown) on the left trunnion, blank on the right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a wheeled iron carriage.  This gun stands facing the water, No. 1 of 2.  The telescopic sight bracket on the right indicates this gun is a Mk 1. 

(Normand Roberge Photos)

12-pounder 6-cwt Breechloading Mk. I Gun, weight 6-0-8 (680 lbs), (RGF No. unknown) on the left trunnion, blank on the right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a wheeled iron carriage.  This gun stands facing the water, No. 2 of 2.