Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada 6: Québec, Kahnawake, Kingsey, Labell, Lac Megantic, Lachute, Laval, Lennoxville, L’Islet-sur-Mer and Longueil

Artillery preserved in the province of Québec,

Kahnawake, Kingsey, Labell, Lac Megantic, Lachute, Laval, Lennoxville, L’Islet-sur-Mer and Longueil

Data current to 22 Dec 2018.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Une traduction au français pour l'information technique présente serait grandement apprécié. Vos corrections, changements et suggestions sont les bienvenus, et peuvent être envoyés au hskaarup@rogers.com

Canadian field batteries were combined to form the Royal CanadiaField Artillery (RCFA), which in 1905 became the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (RCHA).  The garrison companies would become the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery (RCGA).

Les batteries de campagne seront amalgamées plus tard au sein de la Royal Canadian Field Artillery (RCFA) qui, en 1905, deviendra la Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (RCHA): pour leur part, les compagnies de garnison donneront la Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery (RCGA).

Quebec

Kahnawake

155-mm M109 Self-Propelled Howitzer, Royal Canadian Legion, Legion Rd and River Rd.  

German First World War 7.58-cm leMW n.A. (Serial Nr. unknown).  Likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade within a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force CEF, in France.  This trench mortar is mounted on top of the cenotaph.
Kingsey

 

 (Jacques Verville Photos)
Cast Iron 68-pounder 36-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 35-3-11 (4,015 lbs), mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  The carronade is stamped (68 P) and (1811 CARRON 77546).  A cannon ball is cemented in the muzzle.  This carronade is located in the park next to the Catholic Church of St-Félix of Kingsey.

Declared obsolete in 1892, thirty-eight 68-pounder carronades were stored in Quebec City.  This 68-pounder carronade was bought from Andrew Nelson by Jean-Marie Guèvremont at an auction held in Lennoxville on 10 Oct 1987, and then repurchased and repatriated by the Municipal Council of St-Félix.  It originally came from the estate of Mrs. Sarah Abercrombie Parker of the Township of Kingsey.  Mrs. Parker was the granddaughter of Robert Abercrombie who settled in Kingsey in 1805.  Mrs. Parker obtained two carronades from the Minister of Militia and Defense, F. W. Borden, for Kingsey's centenary in 1900.

From Quebec City they were delivered to Richmond Station the previous winter and were transported on the Saint-François River to Elmwood as soon as the ice was thick enough.  On 15 Aug 1900, they were fired one last time.  Then, in one of the two carronades, the dignitaries inserted an illuminated address signed by all guests present as well as a gold ten dollar coin.  A cannon ball was then formally cemented in place in the mouth of the carronade. (The second gun has not yet been found).
Sources: Information panels St-Félix of Kingsey QC, Yolande Allard, Doug Knight and photos Jacques Verville.

La pièce d’artillerie a été achetée d’Andrew Nelson par un particulier Jean-Marie Guèvremont lors d’un encan tenue à Lennoxville le 10 octobre 1987, puis rachetée et rapatriée par le Conseil Municipal de St-Félix.  Cette caronade provient de la succession de Mme Sarah Abercrombie Parker du township de Kingsey. Mme Parker était la petite-fille de Robert Abercrombie qui s’établit dans Kingsey en 1805.  Mme Parker obtint du ministre de la Milice et de la Défense, F. W. Borden deux caronades à l’occasion  du centenaire de Kingsey en 1900. 

A partir de Québec, ils ont été livrés l’hiver précédent à la gare de Richmond, ils ont été tirés sur la rivière Saint-François jusqu’à Elmwood, dès que la glace fut suffisamment épaisse. Le 15 août 1900, ils tonnent une dernière fois. Puis, dans l’un d’eux, on insère l’adresse enluminée signée par tous les invités présents ainsi qu’une pièce en or de dix dollars. Et solennellement, on en cèle la bouche. (Le deuxième canon n'a pas encore été retrouvé).

Il y a sur le dessus de la caronade les indications suivantes : Il y a un sigle  et 35-3-11.  Le sigle (Broad Arrow) dénote la propriété de l’armée britannique.  Les chiffres (35-3-11) servent à identifier le poids et est indiqué en ancienne mesure anglaise (CWT).  (4015 livres, 1821 kilos).  Sous la caronade il y a les indications suivantes : 68 P 1811 CARRON 77546.  68P : poids du boulet 68 livres. (Le boulet a un diamètre de 8,05 pouces).  1811 CARRON : Année de fabrication 1811 par la fonderie Carron de Falkirk en Écosse.  77546 : numéro de série.  Déclaré désuets en 1892, 38 caronades de 68 livres ont été entreposées à Québec.  Le canon est situé dans le parc jouxtant l’église catholique de St-Félix de Kingsey Qc.  

Sources : Panneaux d’informations St-Félix de Kingsey QC, Yolande Allard, Doug Knight et photos Jacques Verville.

Knowlton, Brome County Historical Society Museum (BCHSM), 120 Lakeside.  Artillery preserved in the BCHSM is listed on a separate page on this web site.

Labelle

 (poildecarot Photos)

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, park/rest area along Hwy 117.

Lac Megantic

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 6502), no data.  Likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade within a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force CEF, in France.  This gun stands in a park facing the lake.

Probable German Second World War 2-cm Flakvierling 38 AA gun barrel on top of a cairn at the Lac Megantic Legion at 3458 Rue Milette.

Lachute

 (Streetview Photo)

German First World War 7.58-cm leMW n.A. (Serial Nr. 46643).  Likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  This guns stands in front of Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 70, 634 Rue Lafleur.

 (Streetview Photo)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. unknown).  Likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  No. 1 of 2. 

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. unknown).  Likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France.  No. 2 of 2.

Lacolle

 (Jean Dube Photos)

Cast Iron possible 3-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, mounted on a concrete stand.  It is located next to the Odelltown United Church, 243, route 221.  The plaque behind the gun at Odelltown reads in part: THIS GUN CAPTURED AT THE BATTLE OF ODELLTOWN AND PRESENTED BY THE GOVERNOR GENERAL TO COLONEL EDWARD MARCH WAS DONATED BY HIS GRANDCHILDREN IN 1924 TO THE DOMINION OF CANADA.  From this, and the description of the battle, it is likely that this gun was brought from the USA by the rebels for their attack.  (More details are required to determine its original origin).

 (Jean Dube Photo)

Cast Iron 12-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, mounted on a wood carriage.  This gun was found in the Richelieu River in 1961 and given to the city to commemorate the War of 1812.

Laval

 (Author Photos)

17-pounder QF Towed Anti-Tank Gun, Laval West, Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 216, 861 Ste-Rose Blvd.  The RCA held 138 of these guns.

Lennoxville

American 75-mm QF M1A1 Pack Howitzer on an M8 Carriage, located beside the Cenotaph, 105 Queen St.  Intersection of Queen St and Samuel-Gratham St.

Lévis.  artillery preserved in the Fort and armoury in the City of Lévis is listed on a separate page on this web site.

L’Islet-sur-Mer, Musée Maritime du Québec, 55 Pionniers Rue E.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-12 (1,916 lbs), mounted on a cement carriage.  A cannonball is cemented in the mouth of the gun.  No. 1.  (Author Photo)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight numbers heavily corroded, possibly 17-x-x (>1,900 lbs), mounted on a cement carriage.  A cannonball is cemented in the mouth of the gun, No. 2. (Author Photo)

Longueuil

 (Slyyy Photos)

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, city park.