Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (6) Québec, Amos, Arundel, Baie du Febvre, Baie St Paul, Beloeil, Brossard, Bryson, Buckingham and Bury

 

Artillery in Québec, Amos, Arundel, Baie du Febvre, Baie St Paul, Beloeil, Brossard, Bryson, Buckingham and Bury

Data current to 14 July 2019.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Une traduction au français pour l'information technique présente serait grandement apprécié. Vos corrections, changements et suggestions sont les bienvenus, et peuvent être envoyés au hskaarup@rogers.com

Canadian field batteries were combined to form the Royal CanadiaField Artillery (RCFA), which in 1905 became the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (RCHA).  The garrison companies would become the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery (RCGA).

Les batteries de campagne seront amalgamées plus tard au sein de la Royal Canadian Field Artillery (RCFA) qui, en 1905, deviendra la Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (RCHA): pour leur part, les compagnies de garnison donneront la Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery (RCGA).

Quebec

Amos

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, salute, Gatineau, ca 1960s.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4234280)

 (caius Photos)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, No. 1, City Hall.

 (caius Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, No. 2, City Hall.

Le canon Ordnance QF 25 pounder, fut le principal obusier/canon de campagne britannique entre la fin des années 1930 et les années 1960. Il fut considéré par beaucoup comme la meilleurs pièce d'artillerie de campagne de la guerre, associant cadence de tir élevée, projectile relativement efficace et mobilité élevée.  Calibre: 87.6mm. Cadence de tir: 6-8 coups min. Vélocité à la bouche: 520 m/sec. Portée Maximale: 12250 m. Poids: 1800 kg. Longueur: 5.53 m.  Les deux 25 pounder de l'hotel de ville d'Amos flanque une stèle en hommage aux anciens combattants des trois principale guerre du canada.

Arundel

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 192.

Bagotville, CFB Bagotville

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, on display in the air memorial park.

Baie du Febvre

  (Maxwell Toms Photo)

Cast Iron 18-pounder 10-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 9-3-21 (1,113 lbs), Caron Co., No CV, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  The carronade is a short smoothbore, cast iron cannon, which was used by the Royal Navy and first produced by the Carron Company, an ironworks in Falkirk, Scotland.  It was used from the 1770s to the 1850s.  Its main function was to serve as a powerful, short-range anti-ship and anti-crew weapon.  While considered very successful early on, carronades eventually disappeared as rifled naval artillery changed the shape of the shell and led to fewer and fewer close-range engagements.

Baie St Paul

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, mounted on a wooden naval gun carriage, No. 1 of 2.

 (Streetview Photo)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, mounted on a wooden naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 2. 

Beloeil

 (Lucky Al Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, No. 1 of 2, located with the town war memorial, near the Légion Royale Canadienne Dion 238, 30 Rue Choquette.  

 (Lucky Al Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, No. 2 of 2, located with the town war memorial near the Légion Royale Canadienne Dion 238.  Les 2 canons sont situés dans le stationnement de la Légion Royale Canadienne Dion 238 à Beloeil.

Brossard

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 215 at 8940 Raciot.

Il pèse 90 livres. Il faut une amorce de la grosseur d'une balle calibre 22 pour lancer l'obus.  La portée est longue, Waterloo-Bromont, sans problème.  Les hommes attendaient l'ordre et qui faisait quoi.  Il semble qu' au troisième essai, ils faisaient le signe de croix avant de tirer. (remarques personnelles)
Un obusier est une pièce d'artillerie dont le rapport entre la longueur de la partie rayée du tube et de son calibre est en dessous de 20 (25 aux É.-U.).  La désignation howitzer, utilisée entre autres aux États-Unis, est un mot d'origine tchèque voulant dire catapulte et datant de l'empire d'Autriche-Hongrie.  À cette époque, des Tchèques engagés dans l'artillerie ont comparé la trajectoire courbe de l'obus à celle du projectile de cette arme.
Dès la Première Guerre mondiale apparaissent des pièces d'artillerie qui peuvent tirer à tous les angles de hausse.  Depuis cette époque, le critère de détermination est le rapport entre la longueur de la partie rayée du tube et son calibre.  En dessous de 20 (25 aux États-Unis), c'est un obusier, au-dessus c'est un canon.

Bryson

 (Normand Roberge Photos)

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun.   

Buckingham

QF 4-inch Gun being loaded with a shell on an RCN warship, ca 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3598672)

 (Author Photo)

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns  (Serial No. S/14556), L, left, and (Serial No. S/covered with paint), R, right, on a Mk. XIX High Angle mounting, from HMCS Buckingham.  The original guns were (Serial No. S/13906) and  (Serial No. S/14479).

HMCS Buckingham was a river-class frigate, which in the 1950s was recommissioned and modernized as a Prestonian-class escort, and was further modified as a platform to test the helicopter carrying concept.  This dual 4-inch gun would have been the bow gun (technically in a "B" gun position) and came to the community after the vessel was decommissioned and sold for scrap to an Italian firm in 1965.

Ces canons doubles de quatre pouces QF Mk XVI sont situés dans le parc des Anciens-combattants à Buckingham, Québec.  Le canon QF 4 pouces Mk XVI anti-aérien et à double usage était la norme de la marine du Commonwealth britannique durant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Le Mk XVI remplaça le canon QF 4 pouces Mk V utilisé ultérieurement par de nombreux navires de la Marine Royale à la fin des années 1930 et au début des années 1940.  La plaque fixée sur la paroi avant du canon se lit comme suit:  "Les canons doubles de quatre pouces et nos ancres du N.C.M.S. Buckingham furent données à la ville de Buckingham (Québec) par la Marine Royale Canadienne le 6 Juin 1965. La cérémonie de dédicace presidée par le capitaine (R) Thomas R. Connors de la M.R.C. eut lieu le 3 octobre 1993."

Bury

 (Streetview Photo)

American 90-mm M1A1 AA Gun, located beside Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 48, 59 St. Paul Street.