Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada 5d: Ontario, Port Colborne to Woodstock

Artillery preserved in the Province of Ontario, Port Colborne to Woodstock

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

Data current to 18 July 2017.

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn)

Ontario

Port Colborne

 (Terry Honour Photos)

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

Millar-Dundas SBML 68-pounder Gun, weight 66-2-0 (7,448 lbs), 1844, on the barrel, (Serial No. 174), mounted on a concrete stand.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

 (Andre Blanchard Photo )

Millar-Dundas SBML 68-pounder Gun, weight 66-1-0 (7,420 lbs), 1844, on the barrel, (Serial No. 2327), mounted on a concrete stand.   1-3, 4)

 (Internet Photo)

105-mm L5 Pack Howitzer, OTO Melara 1969, (Serial No. 057672),  King George Memorial Park, opposite Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 56.

Port Dover

SBML 18-pounder 10-cwt Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight TBC, mounted on a wood Naval Gun carriage, Powell Park (corner of Main Street and Park Street), behind the cenotaph. 

Port Hope

 (Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-1-14 (6,314 lbs) under the cascabel, (Serial No. 68697, CARRON, 1805) on the left trunnion, (32P) on the right trunnion, mounted on a concrete stand.  Central Park.

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 291), captured by the 116th Battalion near Cambrai, France, 29 September 1918.

Prescott, Fort Wellington

 (Dennis Jarvis Photo)

Blomefield SBML 12-pounder replica Gun, weight 31-3-21 (3,577 lbs), 1808, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  This gun is located on the ramparts of the North-East bastion.

Blomefield SBML 12-pounder replica Gun, weight 31-3-24 (3,580 lbs), 1808, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, wooden tampion plug in the muzzle, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  This gun is located on the ramparts of the North-West bastion.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 49-3-7 (5,579 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 129) on right trunnion, 1807, CV OK, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a long wood traversing carriage.  This gun is located on the ramparts of the South-East bastion.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 51-2-14 (5,782 lbs), (Serial No. 70807, CARRON, 1807), on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a long wood traversing carriage.  This gun is located on the ramparts of the South-West bastion.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight TBC, reproduction, Gunboat display.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-9 (1,913 lbs), (Serial No. 9, CARRON) beside the BO mark.  CV, NC, Q stamped on the cascabel.  This Carronade is located in front of the Visitor Centre.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-3-0 (1,988 lbs), (Serial No. TBC, CARRON).  Location TBC.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-3-7 (1,995 lbs).  This Carronade is mounted over the North gate of the fort.

Cast Iron 12-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 6-3-7 (763 lbs).  North Bastion.

SBML 6-pounder Gun, weight TBC, reproduction.  This gun is used for re-enactment demonstrations.  It may have a wood tampion plug in the muzzle.

SBML ½-pounder Gun, 1-foot, 10-inches long, ca. 1760-1780.  No. 1, in storage.

SBML ½-pounder Gun, 1-foot, 10-inches long, ca. 1760-1780.  No. 2, in storage.

Coehorn SBML 5.5-inch bronze Mortar, weight 1-1-5 (145 lbs), King George III cypher, stamped F. Kinman, 1800.  Inside the Blockhouse.

SBML 10-inch Land Service Mortar, weight 16-2-6 (1,854 lbs), BO, broad arrow mark, two dolphin handles.  No. 1, southeast of the Blockhouse.

SBML 10-inch Land Service Mortar, weight 16-1-23 (1,843 lbs), BO, broad arrow mark, two dolphin handles.  No. 2, southeast of the Blockhouse.

Priceville

 (JustSomePics Photos)

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun, possibly (Serial Nr. 1524), or (Serial No. 21524), TBC, captured in August 1918 near the Sensee Canal in France by the 5th Infantry Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Western Canadian Cavalry.

Rainy River

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, CDN No. unknown, cenotaph square.

Richards Landing

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR 34914 (TBC).  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (year TBC), REG. NO. CDN 5 (TBC), INSP (symbol).  This gun is on loan from the Canadian War Museum and stands in front of the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 548 on Rte 548, St. Joseph's Island, outside of Sault Ste Marie.

Sarnia

 (Tom Slater Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, (WCo), (Walker & Company of Rotherham, Yorkshire, England), on the left trunnion, (Serial No. 375) on the right trunnion, mounted on a concrete carriage with iron wheels, "Big Tom".  This gun may have come from the British gunboat “Prince Alfred,” which went aground in Lake Huron somewhere near Point Edward in 1874. It is preserved in Canatara Park.

Sault Ste. Marie,  49th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

The 49th Field Artillery Regiment, is a Primary Reserve Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) regiment of Land Force Central Area's 33 Canadian Brigade Group located in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.  49th Field Regiment sub-units include the 30th Field Battery and 148th Field Battery.

Sault Ste Marie

 (Terry Honour Photos)

SBML pounder Gun mounted on a concrete stand.

 (lp5324 Photo)

 (Terry Honour Photo)

German First World War 10.5-cm Feldhaubitze 98/09 (10.5-cm FH 98/09), (Serial Nr. 46), captured by the 3rd Battalion (Toronto Regiment), 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), near Cambrai, France, 27 September 1918.  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 25.

The 10.5 cm Feldhaubitze 98/09 (10.5 cm FH 98/09), a short barreled (1625-mm) 105-mm howitzer, also referred to as the 10.5-cm leichte Feldhaubitze (light field howitzer) 98/09, was used by Germany in the First World War and after.  It had a maximum range of 6,300 metres (20,700 ft).   It was originally built by Rheinmetall as the 10.5-cm Feldhaubitze 98, an old-fashioned, fixed-recoil weapon delivered to the German army in 1898; between 1902 and 1904, it was redesigned, by Krupp, with a new recoil mechanism and a new carriage.  However, it wasn't accepted for service until 1909, hence the ending designation 98/09. Existing weapons were rebuilt to the new standard.  As usual, two seats were attached to the gun shield.  There were 1,260 in service at the beginning of the First World War.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

12-pounder 12-cwt QF Mk. V (3-inch-40) Breechloading Naval Gun (Ogden 3-inch Naval gun), No. C/S 292, CPR 1942, from HMCS Sault Ste Marie, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 25.  HMCS Sault Ste Marie was an Algerine Escort Mine Sweeper. 

 (Terry Honour Photo)

90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, No. 1 of 2, 49th Field Artillery Regiment Armoury.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, No. 2 of 2, 49th Field Artillery Regiment Armoury.

Shelburne

 (Balcer Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 435), no record.  This gun was originally allocated to Dufferin County, Ontario.  It stands beside the war memorial on Victoria Street, in front of the Police Station and Town Hall.

 (jiggs11 Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun, in front of the town administrative offices and police station, on Victoria Street, just south of Highway 89.

Shirley’s Bay, Connaught Ranges and Primary Training Centre

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.

12-pounder 12-cwt QF Mk. V (3-inch-40) Breechloading Naval Gun (Ogden 3-inch Naval gun), HMCS Carleton Gun.

RUR-5 ASROC (Anti-Submarine ROCket) all-weather, all sea-conditions anti-submarine missile system.

Simcoe

 (JustSomePics Photo)

105-mm L5 Pack Howitzer, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 79.

Smith Falls

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08/15 Machinegun in the Royal Canadian Legion (Serial Nr. TBC), corroded.  This MG was apparently was found inside a wall in the basement of the Legion.

Southampton

SBML 3 foot long Gun, discovered in a sunken wreck on Southampton beach in April 2002.  The gun is being restored by Museum Restorations in Ottawa.

 (emmieo Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-2-0 (6,328 lbs), (Serial No. TBC, CARRON, 1800) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark.  Pioneer Park at the Mouth of the Saugeen River.  Mounted on a wooden stand, No. 1 of 2.

 (emmieo Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 55-3-3 (6,247 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 128) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark.  Pioneer Park at the Mouth of the Saugeen River.  Mounted on a wooden stand, No. 2 of 2.

St. Catherines

 (Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-0-0 (6,272 lbs) under the cascabel, (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 170) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a red and blue concrete stand.  North entrance, Lake Street Armoury.

 (Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 49-3-10 (5,582 lbs) under the cascabel, (WCo) (Walker & Company), on left trunnion, (Serial No. 103) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a red and blue concrete carriage.  North Entrance, Lake Street Armoury.

 (Author Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-3-0 (1,988 lbs) above the vent, NCO, mounted on a red and blue concrete carriage.  Main entrance, Lake Street Armoury.

 (Author Photos)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-3-14 (2,002 lbs) above the vent, CV NCO, mounted on a red and blue concrete stand.  Main entrance, Lake Street Armoury.

 (Author Photos)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, CMK. 1 1/1 CDN, S.I.C.-9.-42. CANADA, with limber, inside the Lake Street Armoury.

St. Catherines, Welland Canal Museum

SBML 8 foot, 8-inch long, 3.5-inch gun, severely corroded.

Canadian soldier examining a German First World War 7.58-cm trench mortar, East of Arras, France, Aug 1918.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3403179)

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW), (Serial Nr. 1916), captured by the 5th Battalion at Vimy Ridge on 9 April 1917.  This trench mortar was originally allocated to Penetanguishene, Ontario.  Dennis Walker collection.   (Photos courtesy of JustSomePics)

St. Catherines, Ridley College

 (Carrie Houston Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 7981), no data.  Received by Ridley College on 7 Feb 1923.

St. Catherines

Ordnance QF 17-pounder Anti-Tank Gun, (privately owned).  The RCA held 138 of these guns.

 (Dyver Down Photo)

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, Rock Island Arsenal, (Serial No. 166926), 1944.  Royal Canadian Legion, Polish Branch No. 418, 294 Vine Street.

Ordnance QF 18-pounder Field Gun Mk II (Serial No. TBC), mounted on a wheeled carriage.  Originally allocated to the Aurora Legion, then to Belfountan,  Ontaro.  Restored, Dennis Walker collection.

St. Thomas

 

 (Keldar5 Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-1-21 (6,321 lbs), (Serial No. 63849, CARRON, 1803) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III (1760-1820) cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand, dated 1902.  This gun stands in front of the Elgin County Courthouse.

½ scale replica Blomefield Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, Elgin Military Museum, 30 Talbot Street.

Stoney Creek, Battlefield Park

 (JustSomePics Photo)

The Battle of Stoney Creek was fought on 6 June 1813, during the War of 1812 near present day Stoney Creek, Ontario.  British units made a night attack on an American encampment.  Due in large part to the capture of both American brigadier generals, and an overestimation of British strength by the Americans, the battle was a victory for the British, and a turning point in the defence of Upper Canada.

 (jiggs11 Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-0-7 (6,279 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 171) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand facing East.  Stoney Creek Battlefield Park.

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 55-2-14 (6,230 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 175) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand facing East in Battlefield Park.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-1-19 (1,951 lbs), no cypher.  Forward right hand corner of the Smith’s Knoll Monument.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight TBC, (Serial No. 37) on left trunnion, (L) on right trunnion, Lowmoor, no cypher, broad arrow mark.  Battlefield House near Historical Plaque.

Smith's Knoll Monument.  During the Battle of Stoney Creek, the American artillery was positioned on a rise of land located north-east of the Gage homestead. Historical records indicate that, following the battle some of the soldiers were buried here in a mass grave. In 1899, Allan Smith, while ploughing on this rise of land, uncovered human remains and bits of cloth with the insignia of both British and American regiments. The area became known in the community as Smith’s Knoll.  On 3 May 1908, an area known as the Soldier’s Plot at Smith’s Knoll was consecrated and by 1910, a stone cairn and statue of a lion were installed. On  1 August 1910, a ceremony was held to mark the unveiling of the Lion’s Monument (as it came to be called) at Smith’s Knoll as a memorial to the soldiers who fought in the Battle of Stoney Creek.  Located across from 69 King Street West.

Bronze Smoothbore Muzzleloading 18-pounder Gun, weight TBC, Serial No. 41 on the right trunnion, no cypher, (L) for LOW Moor on the left trunnion, Naval carriage elevating screw, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  No. 1 of 2 in front of the Smith’s Knoll Monument.

Bronze Smoothbore Muzzleloading 18-pounder Gun, weight TBC, no cypher, Naval carriage elevating screw, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  No. 2 of 2 in front of the Smith’s Knoll Monument.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 49-3-21 (5,593 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 145) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.   No. 1 of 2 beside the Smith’s Knoll Monument.

 (jiggs11 Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 48-0-22 (5,510 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 163) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  No. 2 of 2 beside the Smith’s Knoll Monument.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight TBC, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, to the left of Smith's Knoll.

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight TBC, (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 109) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, TV C K.  Queen’s Park.

Bronze Smoothbore Muzzleloading 24-pounder Gun, weight TBC, Serial No. 37 on the right trunnion, no cypher, (L) for LOW Moor on the left trunnion, CV, N, C above the button.  This piece was cast by the Low Moor Iron Company of Bradford, England between 1790 and 1812. It was typical of the type used during the Battle of Stoney Creek.

Stratford

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Russian Millar pattern Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (Serial No. 29565), forged by Armstrong at Alexandrovski, with double-headed Eagle, Crimean War trophy, stamped 1845, MA on breech, tv, ck.  Located near the city cenotaph.  The swell on the muzzle is broken.

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-2-10 (6,338 lbs) above the vent, (Serial No. 71661, CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark.  Located near the city cenotaph.

Strathroy

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08/15 Machinegun (Serial Nr. 3768).

Stratton

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun mounted on a Schlitten stand beside the town cenotaph.

Sturgeon Falls

 (Leon Jensen Photo)

German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 3264).  This gun was captured by the 102nd Battalion and 10th Battalion West of Bourlon Wood, France, on 27 September 1918. Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 225.  Preserved by the personnel of the Electrical Mechanical Engineers Workshop, 22 Wing, CFB North Bay.  Arte et Marte.

Tavistock

 (Terry Honour Photo)

German First World War 25-cm schwerer Minenwerfer alt Art (25-cm sMW), (Serial Nr. 1846) above the trunnions left and right TBC.  This heavy trench mortar was captured by the 102nd Battalion on 9 Oct 1917 at Vimy Ridge.  Mounted in front of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 518, 223 Hope Street. 

Thunder Bay

 (oiseau ca Photo)

Carronade overlooking the Sleeping Giant at the Mariner's Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-14 (1,918 lbs), broad arrow mark with 14, mounted on a wood stand, Position 1 at the Mariners Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-2-7 (1,967 lbs), with 15 (no broad arrow mark), mounted on a wood stand, Position 2 at the Mariners Memorial

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-16 (1,920 lbs), broad arrow mark with 4, mounted on a wood stand, Position 3 at the Mariners Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-1-7 (1,939 lbs), broad arrow mark with 3, mounted on a wood stand, Position 4 at Mariners Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-11 (1,915 lbs), broad arrow mark with 16, mounted on a wood stand, Position 5 at Mariners Memorial.  All guns were cast at the Carron Foundries, Falkirk, Scotland between 1801 and 1803.  They were originally brought to Thunder Bay from storage in Montréal and now are all on display at the Mariner’s Monument, Marina Park.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-3-14 (1,483 lbs), set in a concrete position overlooking Lake Superior, No. 1 on the lookout at Hillcrest Park.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 13-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 13-1-11 (2,012 lbs), broad arrow mark, 73, set in a concrete position overlooking Lake Superior, No. 2 on the lookout at Hillcrest Park.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 3-0-12 (348 lbs), No 1 at City Hall May St S and Donald St E mounted on a concrete replica naval carriage.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 3-0-4 (340 lbs), No 2 at City Hall May St S and Donald St E mounted on a concrete replica naval carriage.

 (Thunder Bay Museum Photo, when the gun was downtown)

 (Peter and Gloria Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), possibly (Serial Nr. 69), Mountain View Cemetery. 

Thunder Bay, HMCS Griffon 

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns  (Serial No. S/13898), L, left, and (Serial No. S/13833), R, right, on a Mk. XIX High Angle mounting (Serial No. unknown), 125 North Algoma Street.

12-pounder 12-cwt QF Mk. V (3-inch-40) Breechloading Naval Gun (Ogden 3-inch Naval gun), (Serial No. S/8349) on fixed mounted near the flagpole at HMCS Griffon, 125 North Algoma Street.

Thunder Bay, Fort William

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 1 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 2 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 3 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 4 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

 (Lencioni Photo)

Bronze SBML 4-pounder Gun, No 5, I & P Verbruggen above the cascabel.  Mounted on a field carriage in the squareBronze 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No 5, I & P Verbruggen above the cascabel, mounted on a field carriage in the square.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 1 of 6, mounted on a Naval gun carriage, stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 2 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 3 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 4 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 5 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 6 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Tillsonburg

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, Coronation Park.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on iron wheels.  In front of the Tillsonburg Legion, 16 Durham St.

Toledo

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, located at the intersection of City Road 1 and City Road 8.

Toronto

The page for artillery preserved in Ontario has grown too large to download quickly, so the guns on display in the City of Toronto are listed on a separate web page on this website.

Trenton, Mount Pelion

 (Will S Photo)

 (jiggs11 Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 70452, CARRON, 1806) on the left trunnion, (32P) on the right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand.

Trenton

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 12490), 1918, downtown square near the bridge.

Uxbridge 

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

    (Robert Vincent Photos)

German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 1902 (15-cm sFH 02), (Serial Nr. 911), Fried Krupp.

Verner

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  War Memorial Park.

Victoria Harbour

 (Tim Laye Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, TGS Mk II, OFE/C 1946, Reg No. P-10515.  This gun is displayed in a Memorial Park, with a plaque honouring the War dead from the First World War.

Wallaceburgh

155-mm M109 Self-propelled Howitzer, (Serial No. 34808), 1968, AC: MD, ECC: 119204, HUI C: 1941, SAUI C: 1941, VMO No. DLE21343, VMO Date: 10 Jun 2005.  Display Monument.

Wasaga Beach

SBML 6-pounder Carronade, weight (500 lbs), signal gun, No. 1 of 2, made for CPR’s steamships on the Great Lakes.  Nancy Island.

SBML 6-pounder Carronade, weight (500 lbs), signal gun, No. 2 of 2, made for CPR’s steamships on the Great Lakes.  Nancy Island.

Waterdown

 (Stinger503 Photos)

German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 13733). 

 (The Blue Quasar Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, G Mk 3/7, OFE/C 1945, Reg No. L/23520.  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 551.

Waterford

 (JustSomePics Photos)

German First World War 25-cm schwerer Minenwerfer alt Art 25-cm sMW), (Serial Nr. 1930), TBC, captured by 9th Field Company, Canadian Engineers at Vimy Ridge, 9 April 1917.  This mortar stands beside a monument in front of High School.

The 25 cm schwerer Minenwerfer (German for "mine launcher"), often abbreviated as 25 cm sMW, was a heavy trench mortar developed for the Imperial German Army in the first decade of the 20th century.  It was developed for use by engineer troops for destroying bunkers and fortifications otherwise immune to normal artillery.  The 25 cm schwerer Minenwerfer was a muzzle-loading, rifled mortar that had a hydro-spring type recoil system.  It fired either a 97 kg (210 lb) shell or a 50 kg (110 lb) shell, both contained far more explosive filler than ordinary artillery shells of the same caliber.  The low muzzle velocity allowed for thinner shell walls, hence more space for filler for the same weight shell.  The low velocity also allowed the use of explosives like ammonium nitrate–carbon that were less shock-resistant than TNT, which was in short supply at the time.  Shells filled with TNT caused a large number of premature detonations, making the Minenwerfer riskier for the gun crew than normal artillery pieces.  In service, the wheels were removed and the sMW was then placed in a pit or trench at least 1.5 meters (4 ft 11 in) deep, protecting the mortar and its crew.  Despite the extremely short range, the sMW proved to be very effective as its massive shells were almost as effective in penetrating fortifications as the largest siege guns in the German inventory, including the 42 centimeters (17 in) Dicke Bertha (Big Bertha), a howitzer that was more than 50 times the weight of the sMW.  The effectiveness of the sMW is indicated by the number in service, which increased from 44 when the war broke out, to 1,234 at its end.  In 1916, a new longer barrelled version was put into production.  This new model, which had a longer range, was designated the 25 cm schwerer Minenwerfer neuer Art (German for "new pattern"), which was abbreviated as 25 cm sMW n/A.  The older, short-barrel model was then designated as the 25 cm sMW a/A (alter Art)(German for "old pattern").  Internet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_cm_schwerer_Minenwerfer.

Waterloo

Reproduction SBML 3-pounder Gun, mounted on a concrete carriage.  Near Gazebo, Waterloo Park.

Reproduction SBML 6-pounder Gun, weight 20-0-20 (2,260 lbs), 1846, King George III cypher, mounted on a concrete carriage.  Overlooking the cricket pitch, Waterloo Park.

5.5-inch BL Mk. III Gun on a Mk. I Carriage, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 530.

Watson's Corners

RML 9-pounder 6-cwt Gun, replica mounted on wood and iron wheels.  This gun is a firing reproduction made by Tony Walsh for Parks Canada for display in the the Halifax Citadel.

Replica SBML Parrot Rifled Gun, also made by Tony Walsh

Welland

 (The Blue Quasar Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 110) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark,  mounted on an unusual solid-sided iron carriage.  On display at the Welland City Hall and Courthouse near the centre of the city.

Whitby

Cast Iron  Smoothbore Muzzleloading Naval Ordnance Gun, No. 1 of 2, Whitby Ladies College.

Cast Iron  Smoothbore Muzzleloading Naval Ordnance Gun, No. 2 of 2, Whitby Ladies College.

Whitney

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR 34444.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (1955), REG. NO. CDN 29, INSP (symbol).    Highway 60 before Algonquin Park.

Wilberforce

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Dual .50-calibre Anti-Aircraft machine guns.  Cradle & Shield Mark 14, Serial 27472.  Royal Canadian Legion.

Williamstown

 (JSDAFM Photos)

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight >900 lbs, Reg. No. unknown, this type of gun was used in the NW Rebellion, 1885.   Sir John Johnson House.

Windsor

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (Serial No. 27071, CARRON 1840), on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, ring dent on barrel, mounted on a concrete stand in Assumption Park, on the riverfront.  (Andrea_44 Photo)

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, forged by Armstrong at Alexandrovski, with double-headed Eagle, Crimean War trophy with trunnions intact, mounted on a concrete stand in Assumption Park, on the riverfront.

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), possibly (Serial Nr. 4451), captured by the 1st Battalion on 27 September 1918, East of Sainz-lez-Marquion.  Currently being restored at St Clair College.

 (Kevin Hodson Photos)

German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 13 (15-cm sFH 13), (Serial Nr. 125), TBC, salvaged by the 2nd Division Southeast of Bois de Bouche, near Cagnicourt by No. 2 Section, 1 CDAC.  It is now on display with the Essex and Kent Scottish Regiment at Sandwich Street.

Windsor

Battle of Windsor 4 Dec 1838 plaque.

Windsor, HMCS Hunter

HMCS Hunter is located at 960 Ouellette Ave.

 (DND Photo)

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns  (Serial No. S/unknown), L, left, and (Serial No. S/unknown), R, right, on a Mk. XIX High Angle mounting, located in the basement of HMCS Hunter, ca. 1968 were disposed of ca 1974-75.  The photo is of Admiral Hose being given a tour of  Hunter’s Gun Battery.   The functional 4-inch Breach Blocks were substituted for the welded ones on HMCS Haida enabling the A Gun mount to be able to fire blank rounds again so in a way they were partially preserved before the main guns were scrapped.  The torpedo cutaway trainer that was on the quarterdeck as a centre piece was also transferred to HMCS Haida and was on display for years in the bell room. 

In the early 1950s the Director of Naval Reserves implemented a plan to have each Naval Division specialize in one aspect of shipboard training, the objective being that the Naval Reservist should be equal to his RCN counterpart in knowledge and proficiency.  Despite the fact that Windsor was, and still is, an engineering town and that HUNTER had one of the largest engineering complements in the RCN(R), it was decided that those Divisions closest to the coasts would specialize in engineering.  HUNTER was therefore made a Gunnery Division.

The open basement area was converted into training areas.  After months of difficult negotiations, Commander Wilkinson was able to get a motor generator set installed in the building which would provide 220 volt direct current to feed shipboard equipment.  This allowed the setting up of a gun battery, with the installation of some full-scale gunnery equipment which had been acquired from War Assets, twin 4-inch guns as well as Boffins, Bofors and Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns along the south side of the basement.  Windsor Star, 10 Dec 1968.

 (Anthony R. Beresford Photo)

Vickers .303-inch Machine Gun, mounted inside the entrance to HMCS Hunter.

Wingham

 (JustSomePics Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 12602), 1917, in front of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 180, at 183 Victoria Street W.  This gun was captured  by the 10th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, during  the Battle of Drocourt-Queant on 2 August 1918.  It was given to the town of  Wingham as part of the post-First World War trophy redistribution  program. 

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight TBC, maker and Serial No. TBC, mounted on a concrete stand in front of the Wingham District Museum (former Post Office) at 273 Josephine Street.

Woodbridge

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 5803), captured by the 10th Battalion, 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division at Cagnicourt Wood, France, 2 September 1918.  Woodbridge Tower Memorial, Canadian Military Heritage Museum.

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 15-cm Feldkanone L/40 in Räderlafette Naval Gun on Field carriage, (Serial Nr. 4826), no data.  Originally allocated to Vaughn Township, Vellore.  Woodbridge Tower Memorial, Canadian Military Heritage Museum. 

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 15-cm Feldkanone L/45 in Räderlafette Naval Gun on Field carriage, (Serial Nr. 4693), Woodbridge Tower Memorial, Canadian Military Heritage Museum.

Woodstock

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, weight 65-2-13 (7,349 lbs), 1843, (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 405) on right trunnion, no cypher, mounted on a carriagein front of the Oxford County Courthouse at 415 Hunter Street.  No. 1 of 2.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, weight 66-0-14 (7,340 lbs), 1844, (BFCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 147) on right trunnion, no cypher, mounted on a wood carriage in front of the Oxford County Courthouse at 415 Hunter Street.  No. 2 of 2.

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, (TBC).  Victoria Park, “10 feet 2-inches long tip to tip”.

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, (TBC).  Victoria Park, “10 feet 2-inches long tip to tip”.