|Artillery preserved in Canada 5c: Ontario, CFB Borden
Artillery preserved in Canada: Ontario,
Canadian Forces Base Borden
The artillery data has become to big for all the guns in Ontario to be listed on one page, therefore the guns on display at CFB Borden are listed separately here.
Data current to 29 April 2017.
CFB Borden, Base Borden Military Museum
Inside Museum display
Sexton 25-pounder Self-Propelled Gun Mk. II, (Serial No. CA172355).
25-pounder QF Field Gun with funeral platform, (Serial No. CA10188), 1942.
French Second World War 47-mm Mle 1937 (G47 Mle 1937), PaK 181(f), APX Anti-Tank Gun, (Serial No. 646).
German First World War 5-cm leichtes Granatwerfer 36 (5-cm leGrW 36), possibly (Serial Nr. 7310), TBC.
German Second World War 7.5cm Kampfwagenkanone 40 (7.5-cm KwK 40/L43), (Serial Nr. TBC), vehicle mounted gun on a wall-mounted display.
German Second World War 7.5-cm PaK 97/38 Anti-Tank Gun, (Serial Nr. 9108), 1916, A.B.S.
German Second World War 8.8 cm KwK 36 Anti-Tank Gun, wall display. (JustSomePics Photo)
Japanese 75-mm Type 38 Field Gun No. 67, (Serial No. 1725), with Limber. (Andre Blanchard Photo 1, JustSomePics Photo 2)
The Type 38 75 mm Field Gun was a 1905 German design which was purchased by the Empire of Japan as the standard field gun of the Imperial Japanese Army at the end of the Russo-Japanese War. The Type 38 designation was given to this gun as it was accepted in the 38th year of Emperor Meiji's reign (1905).
Outside Museum display
25-pounder QF Field Gun with Limber, South Parade Square.
40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, Southwest of North Gate.
40-mm Light Bofors Anti-Aircraft Gun, Boffin Naval Gun Mount, Air Force side of the Base.
American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, field West of the Base Accommodations Building.
American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, North of the Base Theatre.
105-mm L5 Pack Howitzer, (Serial No. 577735), 1970. Air Force side of the Base.
105-mm C1A1 M2A1 Howitzer, CDN 18194, CFSEME Building.
155-mm C1 (M1A2 Towed Medium Howitzer, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher. The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (year TBC), REG. NO. CDN 8, INSP (symbol). This gun is located in the CFSEME Company lines.
155-mm M109 Self-Propelled Howitzer, (Reg. No. 34818), 1968, AC: MD, ECC: 119204, HUI C: 1941, SAUI C: 1941, VMO No. DLE21343 VMO Date: 07 Jul 2005. Base Borden Military Museum.
155-mm M109 Self-Propelled Howitzer, (Reg. No. 77226), 1985, AC: CX, ECC: 119205, HUI C: 1764, SAUI C: 1764, VMO No. DLE21633 VMO Date: 10 Jun 2005. CFSEME, CFB Borden.
French Second World War 47-mm Mle 1937 (G47 Mle 1937), APX Anti-Tank Gun, in German service designated PaK 181(f).
German Second World War 3.7-mm PaK 38(t) Anti-Tank Gun in service in Northern France, summer 1944. (Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-299-1831-26)
German Second World War 3.7-cm PaK 36 AT Gun, rear of Museum hangar, (Serial No. R17355), shipping weight 0-18-0. This gun was consigned to Canada from England on 20 Feb 1945, dispatched from CMHQ in the UK, 3 Ap 1945.
Russian 7.62-cmAnti-Tank Gun (Serial Nr. 1230), 1939, designated PaK 36(r) in German service. Air Force side of the Base.
German Second World War 5-cm PaK 38 Anti-Tank Gun (Serial Nr. R860), 1942, Bhh, rear of Museum hangar.
German Second World War 7.5-cm PaK 40 Anti-Tank Gun (Serial Nr. R1761), 1942, bwo, Rheinmetall Borsig (Düsseldorf), rear of Museum hangar.
German Second World War 7.5-cm PaK 40 Anti-Tank Gun, (Serial Nr. R2900), bwo, Rheinmetall Borsig (Düsseldorf), South Parade Square.
German Second World War 7.5-cm PaK 40 Anti-Tank Gun, (Serial Nr. R4969), 1942, hhg, Rheinmetall Borsig (Tegel), Worthington Park.
German Second World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 18 (15-cm sFH 18), (Serial Nr. R2746), 1940, WaA 34, barrel in the recoil position, South Parade Square.
German Second World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 18 (15-cm sFH 18), (Serial Nr. R3176), 1941, COC (TBC), CHM, barrel extended, Southeast of North gate. This Gun was collected in Northwest Europe before 12 Oct 1944 and shipped to Canada from CMHQ in the UK after 7 Nov 1944.
Italian First World War 149-mm 149/12 modelo 16. The gun is marked Gio. Ansaldo & C., Genova 1918, F. 479G, (Serial No. 8847), Peso Con Ott. KC 870, possibly (Serial No. 4796), TBC. (This gun is listed as a 100-mm Obice da 100/17 modelo 14).
The Italian First World War 149-mm 149/12 modelo 16 was a heavy howitzer which served with Austria-Hungary as the 15 cm schwere Feldhaubitze M 14. It had two crew seats mounted on the gun shield. It broke down into two loads for transport. The M 14 was modified to improve elevation and range as well as to strengthen the carriage as the M 14/16. Postwar war modifications were common to make it suitable for motor traction and to address other issues. M 14 and M14/16 howitzers were captured by Italy during the war and received as reparations after the war, when they were put into service with the designation of Obice da 149/13. Some 490 were on hand in 1939 and weapons captured by the Germans after the Italians changed sides in 1943 were used as the 15 cm sFH 400(i). Surviving weapons were impressed into German service after 1943 as the 15 cm sFH 401(i). Czech and Slovak weapons were known as the 15 cm hrubá houfnice vz. 14 and 14/16.
Italian Second World War 47-mm Cannone da 47/32 M35, (Serial No. 646), outside the Museum hangar.
The Italian Second World War 47-mm Cannone da 47/32 M35 was an Austrian artillery piece which served as the Cannone da 47/32 M35 produced under license in Italy during the war. It was used both as an infantry gun and an anti-tank gun which it proved to be successful at, especially when equipped with HEAT (Italian: "Effetto Pronto") rounds. In the 1930s Italy bought some of these guns from Böhler, and then began to produce the weapon under license, continuing its development. The Cannone da 47/32 M35 was the main armament in the M13/40 medium tank, the M14/41 medium tank, and the 47/32 self-propelled gun. Due to its shape, the 47/32 was commonly called "elefantino" (little elephant) by the troops.
(Base Borden Military Museum Photo, left, Andre Blanchard Photo, right)
(Photos courtesy of Guy Despatie)
Japanese 10-cm Model 92 Field Gun, Blackburn Park Army Cadet Camp.
The Japanese Type 92 10-cm was a field gun used by the Imperial Japanese Army during the Second Sino-Japanese War and the Second World War. The Type 92 number was designated for the year the gun was accepted, 2592 in the Japanese imperial year calendar, or 1932 in the Gregorian calendar. The Type 92 cannon was intended to supersede the Type 14 10cm Cannon in front line combat service. It has all the standard features of the 1930-36 period of Japanese gun design, including a long barrel, short cradle, long trails, and a relatively low silhouette. In traveling position the tube is retracted by means of a winch and locked to the cradle. The gun achieves a considerable range with a 35-pound shell in proportion to its unusually low weight. The Model 92 is stabilized by three spade plates for each trail. Both spade plates and trail blocks are demountable. Readily recognized by its long slender gun barrel and split carriage trail, the Type 92 10 cm Cannon was designed particularly for long-range fire. The recoil system was hydropneumatic and it had a distinctive three-step interrupted thread breechblock. It fired a 35 pounds (16 kg) shell up to14,200 yards (13,000 m) with standard high-explosive shells, and also had provision for special long-range shells that could reach 20,000 yards (18,000 m) 20,000 yards, as well as chemical, armor-piercing, smoke and incendiary shells. The gun barrel was extremely long, making field transport very cumbersome. The gun was normally tractor drawn using its large wooden wheels with solid rubber tires, but could also be pulled by a 5-ton truck. Its greatest drawback was that it had spade plates on each trail leg that had to be pounded into the ground to anchor the gun in place. The Type 92 10 cm Cannon was very successful and was used for long-range counter-battery and bombardment roles.
German Second World War FlakPanzer IV Wirbelwind, Worthington Memorial Park.
German Second World War 2-cm Flakvierling 38 AA gun barrel inside the museum.
German Second World War Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer Light Tank Destroyer, MGen Worthington Memorial Park.