Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada 5: Ontario, Sturgeon Falls to Woodstock

Artillery preserved in the Province of Ontario, Sturgeon Falls to Woodstock

Data current to 26 Oct 2018.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

Sturgeon Falls

 (Leon Jensen Photo)

German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 3264).  This gun was captured by the 102nd Battalion and 10th Battalion West of Bourlon Wood, France, on 27 September 1918. Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 225.  Preserved by the personnel of the Electrical Mechanical Engineers Workshop, 22 Wing, CFB North Bay.  Arte et Marte.

Tavistock

 (Terry Honour Photo)

German First World War 25-cm schwerer Minenwerfer alt Art (25-cm sMW), (Serial Nr. 1846) above the trunnions left and right TBC.  This heavy trench mortar was captured by the 102nd Battalion on 9 Oct 1917 at Vimy Ridge.  Mounted in front of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 518, 223 Hope Street. 

Thunder Bay

 (oiseau ca Photo)

Carronade overlooking the Sleeping Giant at the Mariner's Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-14 (1,918 lbs), broad arrow mark with 14, mounted on a wood stand, Position 1 at the Mariners Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-2-7 (1,967 lbs), with 15 (no broad arrow mark), mounted on a wood stand, Position 2 at the Mariners Memorial

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-16 (1,920 lbs), broad arrow mark with 4, mounted on a wood stand, Position 3 at the Mariners Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-1-7 (1,939 lbs), broad arrow mark with 3, mounted on a wood stand, Position 4 at Mariners Memorial.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-0-11 (1,915 lbs), broad arrow mark with 16, mounted on a wood stand, Position 5 at Mariners Memorial.  All guns were cast at the Carron Foundries, Falkirk, Scotland between 1801 and 1803.  They were originally brought to Thunder Bay from storage in Montréal and now are all on display at the Mariner’s Monument, Marina Park.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-3-14 (1,483 lbs), set in a concrete position overlooking Lake Superior, No. 1 on the lookout at Hillcrest Park.

Cast Iron 6-pounder 13-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 13-1-11 (2,012 lbs), broad arrow mark, 73, set in a concrete position overlooking Lake Superior, No. 2 on the lookout at Hillcrest Park.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 3-0-12 (348 lbs), No 1 at City Hall May St S and Donald St E mounted on a concrete replica naval carriage.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 3-0-4 (340 lbs), No 2 at City Hall May St S and Donald St E mounted on a concrete replica naval carriage.

 (Thunder Bay Museum Photo, when the gun was downtown)

 (Peter and Gloria Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), possibly (Serial Nr. 69), Mountain View Cemetery.

Thunder Bay, HMCS Griffon 

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns  (Serial No. S/13898), L, left, and (Serial No. S/13833), R, right, on a Mk. XIX High Angle mounting (Serial No. unknown), 125 North Algoma Street.

12-pounder 12-cwt QF Mk. V (3-inch-40) Breechloading Naval Gun (Ogden 3-inch Naval gun), (Serial No. S/8349) on fixed mounted near the flagpole at HMCS Griffon, 125 North Algoma Street.

Thunder Bay, Fort William

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 1 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 2 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 3 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 4 of 4, mounted on iron sleeved Naval carriages on the wharf.

 (Lencioni Photo)

Bronze SBML 4-pounder Gun, No 5, I & P Verbruggen above the cascabel.  Mounted on a field carriage in the squareBronze 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No 5, I & P Verbruggen above the cascabel, mounted on a field carriage in the square.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 1 of 6, mounted on a Naval gun carriage, stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 2 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 3 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 4 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 5 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 6 of 6, unmounted stored in the Powder magazine, Fort William.

Tillsonburg

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, Coronation Park.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on iron wheels.  In front of the Tillsonburg Legion, 16 Durham St.

Toledo

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, located at the intersection of City Road 1 and City Road 8.

Toronto

The page for artillery preserved in Ontario has grown too large to download quickly, so the guns on display in the City of Toronto are listed on a separate web page on this website.

Trenton, Mount Pelion

 (Will S Photo)

 (jiggs11 Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 70452, CARRON, 1806) on the left trunnion, (32P) on the right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand.

Trenton

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 12490), 1918, downtown square near the bridge.

Uxbridge 

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

  

 (Robert Vincent Photos)

German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 1902 (15-cm sFH 02), (Serial Nr. 911), Fried Krupp.

Verner

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  War Memorial Park.

Victoria Harbour

 (Tim Laye Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, TGS Mk II, OFE/C 1946, Reg No. P-10515.  This gun is displayed in a Memorial Park, with a plaque honouring the War dead from the First World War.

Wallaceburgh

155-mm M109 Self-propelled Howitzer, (Serial No. 34808), 1968, AC: MD, ECC: 119204, HUI C: 1941, SAUI C: 1941, VMO No. DLE21343, VMO Date: 10 Jun 2005.  Display Monument.

Wasaga Beach

SBML 6-pounder Carronade, weight (500 lbs), signal gun, No. 1 of 2, made for CPR’s steamships on the Great Lakes.  Nancy Island.

SBML 6-pounder Carronade, weight (500 lbs), signal gun, No. 2 of 2, made for CPR’s steamships on the Great Lakes.  Nancy Island.

Waterdown

 (Stinger503 Photos)

German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 13733). 

 (The Blue Quasar Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, G Mk 3/7, OFE/C 1945, Reg No. L/23520.  Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 551.

Waterford

 (JustSomePics Photos)

German First World War 25-cm schwerer Minenwerfer alt Art 25-cm sMW), (Serial Nr. 1930), TBC, captured by 9th Field Company, Canadian Engineers at Vimy Ridge, 9 April 1917.  This mortar stands beside a monument in front of High School.

The 25 cm schwerer Minenwerfer (German for "mine launcher"), often abbreviated as 25 cm sMW, was a heavy trench mortar developed for the Imperial German Army in the first decade of the 20th century.  It was developed for use by engineer troops for destroying bunkers and fortifications otherwise immune to normal artillery.  The 25 cm schwerer Minenwerfer was a muzzle-loading, rifled mortar that had a hydro-spring type recoil system.  It fired either a 97 kg (210 lb) shell or a 50 kg (110 lb) shell, both contained far more explosive filler than ordinary artillery shells of the same caliber.  The low muzzle velocity allowed for thinner shell walls, hence more space for filler for the same weight shell.  The low velocity also allowed the use of explosives like ammonium nitrate–carbon that were less shock-resistant than TNT, which was in short supply at the time.  Shells filled with TNT caused a large number of premature detonations, making the Minenwerfer riskier for the gun crew than normal artillery pieces.  In service, the wheels were removed and the sMW was then placed in a pit or trench at least 1.5 meters (4 ft 11 in) deep, protecting the mortar and its crew.  Despite the extremely short range, the sMW proved to be very effective as its massive shells were almost as effective in penetrating fortifications as the largest siege guns in the German inventory, including the 42 centimeters (17 in) Dicke Bertha (Big Bertha), a howitzer that was more than 50 times the weight of the sMW.  The effectiveness of the sMW is indicated by the number in service, which increased from 44 when the war broke out, to 1,234 at its end.  In 1916, a new longer barrelled version was put into production.  This new model, which had a longer range, was designated the 25 cm schwerer Minenwerfer neuer Art (German for "new pattern"), which was abbreviated as 25 cm sMW n/A.  The older, short-barrel model was then designated as the 25 cm sMW a/A (alter Art)(German for "old pattern").

Waterloo

Reproduction SBML 3-pounder Gun, mounted on a concrete carriage.  Near Gazebo, Waterloo Park.

Reproduction SBML 6-pounder Gun, weight 20-0-20 (2,260 lbs), 1846, King George III cypher, mounted on a concrete carriage.  Overlooking the cricket pitch, Waterloo Park.

5.5-inch BL Mk. III Gun on a Mk. I Carriage, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 530.

Watson's Corners

RML 9-pounder 6-cwt Gun, replica mounted on wood and iron wheels.  This gun is a firing reproduction made by Tony Walsh for Parks Canada for display in the the Halifax Citadel.

Replica SBML Parrot Rifled Gun, also made by Tony Walsh

Welland

 (The Blue Quasar Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 110) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark,  mounted on an unusual solid-sided iron carriage.  On display at the Welland City Hall and Courthouse near the centre of the city.

Whitby

Cast Iron  Smoothbore Muzzleloading Naval Ordnance Gun, No. 1 of 2, Whitby Ladies College.

Cast Iron  Smoothbore Muzzleloading Naval Ordnance Gun, No. 2 of 2, Whitby Ladies College.

Whitney

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR 34444.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (1955), REG. NO. CDN 29, INSP (symbol).    Highway 60 before Algonquin Park.

Wilberforce

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Dual .50-calibre Anti-Aircraft machine guns.  Cradle & Shield Mark 14, Serial 27472.  Royal Canadian Legion.

Williamstown

 (JSDAFM Photos)

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight >900 lbs, Reg. No. unknown, this type of gun was used in the NW Rebellion, 1885.   Sir John Johnson House.

Windsor

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (Serial No. 27071, CARRON 1840), on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, ring dent on barrel, mounted on a concrete stand in Assumption Park, on the riverfront.  (Andrea_44 Photo)

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, forged by Armstrong at Alexandrovski, with double-headed Eagle, Crimean War trophy with trunnions intact, mounted on a concrete stand in Assumption Park, on the riverfront.

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), possibly (Serial Nr. 4451), captured by the 1st Battalion on 27 September 1918, East of Sainz-lez-Marquion.  Currently being restored at St Clair College.

 (Kevin Hodson Photos)

German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 13 (15-cm sFH 13), (Serial Nr. 125), TBC, salvaged by the 2nd Division Southeast of Bois de Bouche, near Cagnicourt by No. 2 Section, 1 CDAC.  It is now on display with the Essex and Kent Scottish Regiment at Sandwich Street.

Windsor

Battle of Windsor 4 Dec 1838 plaque.

Windsor, HMCS Hunter

HMCS Hunter is located at 960 Ouellette Ave.

 (DND Photo)

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns  (Serial No. S/unknown), L, left, and (Serial No. S/unknown), R, right, on a Mk. XIX High Angle mounting, located in the basement of HMCS Hunter, ca. 1968 were disposed of ca 1974-75.  The photo is of Admiral Hose being given a tour of  Hunter’s Gun Battery.   The functional 4-inch Breach Blocks were substituted for the welded ones on HMCS Haida enabling the A Gun mount to be able to fire blank rounds again so in a way they were partially preserved before the main guns were scrapped.  The torpedo cutaway trainer that was on the quarterdeck as a centre piece was also transferred to HMCS Haida and was on display for years in the bell room. 

In the early 1950s the Director of Naval Reserves implemented a plan to have each Naval Division specialize in one aspect of shipboard training, the objective being that the Naval Reservist should be equal to his RCN counterpart in knowledge and proficiency.  Despite the fact that Windsor was, and still is, an engineering town and that HUNTER had one of the largest engineering complements in the RCN(R), it was decided that those Divisions closest to the coasts would specialize in engineering.  HUNTER was therefore made a Gunnery Division.

The open basement area was converted into training areas.  After months of difficult negotiations, Commander Wilkinson was able to get a motor generator set installed in the building which would provide 220 volt direct current to feed shipboard equipment.  This allowed the setting up of a gun battery, with the installation of some full-scale gunnery equipment which had been acquired from War Assets, twin 4-inch guns as well as Boffins, Bofors and Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns along the south side of the basement.  Windsor Star, 10 Dec 1968.

 (Anthony R. Beresford Photo)

Vickers .303-inch Machine Gun, mounted inside the entrance to HMCS Hunter.

Wingham

 (JustSomePics Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 12602), 1917, in front of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 180, at 183 Victoria Street W.  This gun was captured  by the 10th Canadian Infantry Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, during  the Battle of Drocourt-Queant on 2 August 1918.  It was given to the town of  Wingham as part of the post-First World War trophy redistribution  program. 

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight TBC, maker and Serial No. TBC, mounted on a concrete stand in front of the Wingham District Museum (former Post Office) at 273 Josephine Street.

Woodbridge

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 5803), captured by the 10th Battalion, 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division at Cagnicourt Wood, France, 2 September 1918.  Woodbridge Tower Memorial, Canadian Military Heritage Museum.

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 15-cm Feldkanone L/40 in Räderlafette Naval Gun on Field carriage, (Serial Nr. 4826), no data.  Originally allocated to Vaughn Township, Vellore.  Woodbridge Tower Memorial, Canadian Military Heritage Museum. 

 (Author Photos)

German First World War 15-cm Feldkanone L/45 in Räderlafette Naval Gun on Field carriage, (Serial Nr. 4693), Woodbridge Tower Memorial, Canadian Military Heritage Museum.

Woodstock

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, weight 65-2-13 (7,349 lbs), 1843, (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 405) on right trunnion, no cypher, mounted on a carriagein front of the Oxford County Courthouse at 415 Hunter Street.  No. 1 of 2.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, weight 66-0-14 (7,340 lbs), 1844, (BFCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 147) on right trunnion, no cypher, mounted on a wood carriage in front of the Oxford County Courthouse at 415 Hunter Street.  No. 2 of 2.

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, (TBC).  Victoria Park, “10 feet 2-inches long tip to tip”.

Probable Millar SBML 8-inch 65-cwt Shell-Gun, (TBC).  Victoria Park, “10 feet 2-inches long tip to tip”.