Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery Preserved in Canada 3: Saskatchewan

Artillery preserved in the province of Saskatchewan

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

Data current to 18 May 2017.

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn)

Saskatchewan

Battleford

 (Photo courtesy of Maxwell Toms)

German Great War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 16660), likely captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).  Battleford cenotaph.

 (Photos courtesy of Terry Honour)

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 machine-gun.

 (Photo courtesy of Terry Honour)

German Great War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW n.A.), (Serial Nr. 9194), captured by the 8th Battalion (90th Winnipeg Rifles), 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), at Billet No. 10, Warvillers, France.  Originally allocated to Battleford this trecnh mortar is in the Fred Light Museum.

The 7.58 cm Minenwerfer a.A. (alter Art or old model) (7.58 cm leMW).  The Germans fielded a whole series of mortars before the beginning of the First World War.  Their term for them was Minenwerfer, literally mine-thrower; they were initially assigned to engineer units in their siege warfare role.  By the Winter of 1916-17, they were transferred to infantry units where the leMW's light weight permitted them to accompany the foot-soldiers in the advance.  In common with Rheinmetall's other Minenwerfer designs, the leMW was a rifled muzzle-loader that had hydraulic cylinders on each side of the tube to absorb the recoil forces and spring recuperators to return the tube to the firing position.  It had a rectangular firing platform with limited traverse and elevation.  Wheels could be added to ease transportation or it could be carried by at least six men.  In 1916, a new version, designated as the n.A. or neuer Art, was fielded that included a circular firing platform, giving a turntable effect, which permitted a full 360 degree traverse.  It also had a longer 16 inches (410 mm) barrel and could be used for direct fire between 0° and 27° elevation if the new 90 kg (200 lb) trail was fitted to absorb the recoil forces.  In this mode it was pressed into service as an anti-tank gun.

BattlefordFort Battleford National Historic Site

 (Photos courtesy of Maxwell Toms)

Steel 7-pounder 2-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 1-3-5 (201 lbs), CCCXVII (317), Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a wood gun carriage with limber.

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, A Battery, RCA, 24 Apr 1885, Fish Creek, Saskatchewan, Riel Rebellion.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3192260)

 (Photo courtesy of Maxwell Toms)

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-6 (930 lbs), 1877, (Serial No. 420), mounted on a field carriage with limber.

 (Photo courtesy of Maxwell Toms)

.45-inch calibre Gatling Gun,  mounted on a wood wheeled carriage.  Gatling Guns were used in the engagements at Cut Knife and Batoche in 1885.

Estevan

German First World War 7.7-cm FK 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.) Field Gun, May 1917.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3403111)

German Great War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 8601) (no data).  Likely captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade, in a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).

Fort Qu'appelle

 (Streetview Photo)

German Great War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 8482), no data.  Likely captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade, in a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).

Kamsack

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08s being examined by Canadians in France, May 1917.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3213520)

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 (Serial Nr. unknown).  No. 1 gun flanking the cenotaph at Queen Elizabeth Blvd and 3rd Ave S.

 (Streetview Photo)

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 (Serial Nr.).  No. 2 gun flanking the cenotaph at Queen Elizabeth Blvd and 3rd Ave S.

Lembourg

American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, private collector.

Meota

 (DHH Photo)

German Great War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW n.A.), (Serial Nr. 31310).  This trench mortar was captured by the 1st Battalion (Western Ontario), 1st Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), on 8 Aug 1918, ½ km NW of Beaufort, France.  This trench mortar is located next to the cenotaph at 3rd Ave E and Beach St in Meota Regional Park.

Moose Jaw

Lieutenant-Colonel David V. Currie in his Humber Armoured Recconnaissance Car, near Bergen-op-Zoom, the Netherlands, Oct 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4233288)

17-pounder QF Towed Anti-Tank Gun, 57th Bty, 1st AT Regt, RCA, Campobasso, Italy, 25 Oct 1943.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3599876)

17-pounder QF Towed Anti-Tank Gun, LCol D.V. Currie VC Armoury, 1215 Main St N.  

In June 1947, Canada had 149 17-pounder QF Towed Anti-Tank Guns in service.  These guns served until 1952, when they were offered to NATO.  Those remaining in 1959 were scrapped or became part of war memorials including at least 28 that have been found and documented on these web pages.

RCA CMP FAT, 25-pounder, Caen, France, 17 Aug 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3192329), and, 25-pounder, 1st Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery near Cattolica, Italy, 9 September 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3533088)

 (Photos courtesy of Clive Prothero-Brooks)

25-pounder Field Gun Mk 1, (Reg. No. L 2932), no muzzle brake, painted No. 44, LCol D.V. Currie VC Armoury1215 Main St N.  On loan to the Saskatchewan Dragoons from the RCA Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba.

105-mm C1 Howitzer, RCHA.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235720)

105-mm C1 Howitzer, CDN No. unknown.  LCol D.V. Currie VC Armoury1215 Main St N.

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235872) 

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR 34458.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (year TBC), REG. NO. CDN 173, INSP (symbol).  LCol D.V. Currie VC Armoury, 1215 Main St. N,

Ponteix

Replica Anti-Tank Gun.  This gun is mounted on a cairn at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 297, Centre Street, Railway Avenue.  Dedicated on 22 September 1981.

Regina

 (City of Regina Archives, the Early Years, RPL Photo Collection, CORA-RPL-B-88a, ca. 1923)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), possibly (Serial Nr. 60), captured by the 46th Battalion (South Saskatchewan), 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), on 1 Nov 1918 between Aulnoy and Valenciennes, France.  This gun stands on the left flank of the Soldier’s Cemetery cenotaph.

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), possibly (Serial Nr. 2666) TBC, captured by the 46th Battalion (South Saskatchewan), 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), on 1 Nov 1918 Northeast of Mount Houy, North of the Famars -Valenciennes Road, France.  This gun stands on the right flank of the Soldier’s Cemetery cenotaph.

Regina, 10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

The 10th Field Artillery Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery is a Primary Reserve Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) regiment of 38 Canadian Brigade Group.  The Regiment currently draws people from the Regina and Yorkton area.  Sub units include 18th Field Battery (Regina) and 64th Field Battery (Yorkton).

Regina Armoury

17-pounder QF Towed Anti-Tank Gun, Regina Armoury.  The RCA held 138 of these guns.

25-pounder Field Gun, Regina Armoury.

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer, aka M114, manufactured by Sorel Industries Limited, Quebec.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235877)

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer, aka M114, depending on whether the gun was manufactured at Sorel or in the US, to be established when the serial number is confirmed.  Regina Armoury.

Regina, RCMP Heritage Centre, 5907 Dewdney Avenue.

Bronze 6-pounder 5-1/2-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 5---- (560+ lbs), F.K. Kinman (Francis Kinman), (Serial No. 565), King George III cypher.  Abandoned at Victoria Harbour in 1832, recovered in 1942 by the RCMP patrol vessel St. Roch.

Bronze Royal or 5-1/2-inch Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight 1-1-9 (129 lbs), (Serial No. 5456), F.M. Eardley-Wilmot (Superintendant of the Royal Gun Factory at Woowich, England, between 1855 and 1859), 1859.  This mortar is in storage with the RCMP Historical Collections Unit at the RCMP Heritage Centre.

Bronze Royal or 5-1/2-inch Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight unknown, (Serial No. 5588), F.M. Eardley-Wilmot (Superintendant of the Royal Gun Factory at Woowich, England, between 1855 and 1859).  This mortar was transferred to Fort Walsh on 12 June 1947.  It may have gone into storage in 1973, but its precise location is to be confirmed.

Cast Iron 3-pounder Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 1-3-6 (202 lbs), 1880, RGF No. 447 IV, mounted on a field carriage with limber.  Outside Drill Hall.  This gun may be a 7-pounder - to be confirmed.

Cast Iron 6-pounder Muzzleloading Rifle, weight unknown, mounted on a wood field carriage with limber.  Not on record in the RCMP files, location to be confirmed.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 318).  This gun was brought to Prince Albert in 1885 for use by the NWMP during the North-West Rebellion under Superintendent Leif Newry Fitzroy Crozier.  The gun was a re-bored SBML altered in the 1860s to an RML 7-pounder with a 200-pound barrel capable of firing a variety of ordnance.

These guns were used as mountain guns in India then later taken into service with the Royal Navy.  In 1870 six 7-pounders were sent to Canada for use in the Red River Expedition which consisted of British regular soldiers and Canadian militia led by British Colonel Garnet Wolseley.  Wolseley’s force was equipped with four of the six 7-pounders and about 800 rounds of ammunition.  From the base at Prince Arthur’s Landing (now Thunder Bay), two guns continued on to Fort Garry (now Winnipeg), where they were later turned over to the militia. The two guns remaining at the landing were returned to Québec when the expedition returned.  Doug Knight.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 377).  This gun was used at the Battle of Cutknife Hill in 1885.  No. 1 of 2 flanking the Honour Roll Monument, “Depot Division”.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 397).  This gun was also used at the Battle of Cutknife Hill in 1885.  No. 2 of 2 flanking the Honour Roll Monument, “Depot Division”.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 358).  Presented to the Earl of Minto in 1911, returned to Canada in 1962.  In storage, “Depot Division”, to be confirmed.

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-4 (928 lbs), 1870, mounted on a field carriage with limber, on display inside the museum.

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-0 (924 lbs), 1870, 0-2-5-2, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a field carriage, on the Parade Ground.

.303-inch air-cooled Maxim Nordenfelt Machine Gun, used at White Pass Summit in the Klondike by the NWMP.

.303 water-cooled Maxim Nordenfelt Machine Gun, used at the Chilkoot Pass by the NWMP.  This gun was in use in the South African War 1899-1902, and brought back to Canada by soldiers who fought in that conflict.

Regina, HMCS Queen

 

Lewis Gun firing practice, NLBP Exercise by HMCS Queen, RCNVR Regina, Saskatchewan, 21 Nov 1939.  (Photos from the collection of Don Gannon, Courtesy of Lt Donald Mitchell, Admin O, HMCS Queen)

Saltcoats

 (Floyd Davies Photos)

German Great War 10.5-cm leichte Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 4306), no data.  This gun was likely captured by a Canadian Battalion, within an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).  The leFH 16 is missing its wheels and is mounted on a concrete stand at the cenotaph.

Saskatoon

 (Photos courtesy of Terry Honour)

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art (7.58-cm leMW), Trench Mortar, (Serial Nr. 16676), captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade of the 2nd Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), in France ca. 1918.  It is preserved on its base plate in front of the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 362, 3021 Louise Street.  This gun was originally allocated to Davidson, Saskatchewan.

 (Photos courtesy of Col Larry Wong)

German Great War 15-cm Kanone 16 (15-cm K 16), (Serial Nr. 1034), no data.  This gun is missing its wheel carriage.  It is mounted on a barrel transporter carriage, and located in front of the Sgt Hugh Cairns VC Armoury, Idyllwild Avenue.

General Currie inspecting captured German Great War Naval Guns, ca 1918.  (Library and Archives Canada Photos, MIKAN No. 3397923, MIKAN No. 3397915, and MIKAN No. 3397914)

Saskatoon, HMCS UnicornNaval Reserve, 405-24 St E.

4-inch QF Gun Mk XVI* in a Mk XIX High Angle Twin Mounting (Serial No. 146).  405-24 St E.  (PO1 Warren Noble Photo), left, (CJ Ware Photo, Royal Navy, IWM Photo A 8568), right.

 (Photos courtesy of PO1 Warren Noble)

12-pounder 8-cwt QF Royal Navy Landing Gun, weight 8-0-0 (896 lbs), Gun Serial No. 1219, dated 1900­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­, Breech Block Serial No. 1856, stamped out, new Serial No. 1219, dated 1911, Carriage weight 6-cwt, Admiralty No. 40, dated 1897, Serial No. 9936, dated 1897, with Limber Serial No. 40, dated 1897, frame No. 9936.   Queen Victoria cypher. 

The 12-pounder 8-cwt Naval Landing Gun was carried on ships of the British and Commonwealth navies for use by naval landing parties.  The original breechblock of the landing gun at HMCS Unicorn has been replaced with a new and likely reworked block. The old serial number on the breechblock has been scratched out and a new serial number, 1219 (in 1911), has been stamped on so that the parent gun and block continue to possess the same serial number.  Apparently an upgrade was made in the QF breech mechanism a few years later, and a new block was sent out from Britain.  The originals were likely returned to Woolwich or Elswick to be modified in turn and sent on to another location.  Nelson Lowry.

The Naval Landing Guns found in Canada probably originated on early ships of the Royal Canadian Navy, such as HMCS Niobe, HMCS Aurora, HMCS Rainbow and others. Details on the gun may be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_12_pounder_8_cwt.

 (Photos courtesy of PO1 Warren Noble)

Limber weight 6 & 3/4-cwt, No. 40, 1897, carriage No. 9936 for the 12-pounder 8-cwt QF Royal Navy Landing Gun.

Wynard

German First World War 17-cm mittlerer Minenwerfer (17-cm mMW), (Serial Nr. TBC). 

10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

64th Field Battery (Yorkton)

The battery currently operates as part of the 38 Canadian Brigade Group's Artillery Tactical Group (ATG) and operates the 105-mm C3 howitzer.

 (Canadian Forces Photo)

The C3 Howitzer is a close support, field artillery weapon that is mobile, general purpose, light towed, and has the capability to fire extended range munitions up to 18 kilometres.  The C3 is manually operated, single-loaded and air-cooled. It uses semi-fixed ammunition and consists of the cannon assembly, the carriage and the recoil mechanism.  It can easily be employed for direct or indirect fire and can be elevated to high angles to reach targets hidden from flat trajectory guns.  The C3 is structurally similar to the C1 Howitzer, but is distinguished by its longer 33-calibre barrel and muzzle brake.  The gun can fire all standard NATO 105-mm Howitzer ammunition.