Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery Preserved in Canada 3: Saskatchewan, Regina

Artillery preserved in the province of Saskatchewan, Regina

Data current to 14 April 2019.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

Saskatchewan

Regina

  (City of Regina Archives, the Early Years, RPL Photo Collection)

 (Wilf Pyle Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), possibly (Serial Nr. 60), captured by the 46th Battalion (South Saskatchewan), 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), on 1 Nov 1918 between Aulnoy and Valenciennes, France.  This gun stands on the left flank of the Soldier’s Cemetery cenotaph.

    (Wilf Pyle Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), possibly (Serial Nr. 2666) TBC, captured by the 46th Battalion (South Saskatchewan), 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), on 1 Nov 1918 Northeast of Mount Houy, North of the Famars -Valenciennes Road, France.  This gun stands on the right flank of the Soldier’s Cemetery cenotaph.

Regina, 10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

The 10th Field Artillery Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery is a Primary Reserve Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) regiment of 38 Canadian Brigade Group.  The Regiment currently draws people from the Regina and Yorkton area.  Sub units include 18th Field Battery (Regina) and 64th Field Battery (Yorkton).

Regina Armoury

 (John Moloughey Photos)

 (Will Chabun Photo)

17-pounder QF Towed Anti-Tank Gun, Regina Armoury.  The RCA held 138 of these guns.

 (Bob Moloughey Photo)

 (Will Chabun Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, Regina Armoury.

(John Moloughey Photo)

 (Will Chabun Photo)

105-mm C1A1 Howitzer, Reg No. 34232, Regina Armoury.

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235877)

 (Bob Moloughey Photos)

 (Will Chabun Photos)

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher, 1956, CDN 173.  Regina Armoury.

Regina, RCMP Heritage Centre, 5907 Dewdney Avenue.

Bronze 6-pounder 5-1/2-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 5---- (560+ lbs), F.K. Kinman (Francis Kinman), (Serial No. 565), King George III cypher.  Abandoned at Victoria Harbour in 1832, recovered in 1942 by the RCMP patrol vessel St. Roch.

Bronze Royal or 5-1/2-inch Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight 1-1-9 (129 lbs), (Serial No. 5456), F.M. Eardley-Wilmot (Superintendant of the Royal Gun Factory at Woolwich, England, between 1855 and 1859), 1859.  This mortar is in storage with the RCMP Historical Collections Unit at the RCMP Heritage Centre.

Bronze Royal or 5-1/2-inch Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight unknown, (Serial No. 5588), F.M. Eardley-Wilmot (Superintendant of the Royal Gun Factory at Woolwich, England, between 1855 and 1859).  This mortar was transferred to Fort Walsh on 12 June 1947.  It may have gone into storage in 1973, but its precise location is to be confirmed.

Cast Iron 3-pounder Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 1-3-6 (202 lbs), 1880, RGF No. 447 IV, mounted on a field carriage with limber.  Outside Drill Hall.  This gun may be a 7-pounder - to be confirmed.

Cast Iron 6-pounder Muzzleloading Rifle, weight unknown, mounted on a wood field carriage with limber.  Not on record in the RCMP files, location to be confirmed.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 318).  This gun was brought to Prince Albert in 1885 for use by the NWMP during the North-West Rebellion under Superintendent Leif Newry Fitzroy Crozier.  The MLR was a re-bored Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun altered in the 1860s to an MLR 7-pounder with a 200-pound barrel capable of firing a variety of ordnance.

These guns were used as mountain guns in India then later taken into service with the Royal Navy.  In 1870 six 7-pounders were sent to Canada for use in the Red River Expedition which consisted of British regular soldiers and Canadian militia led by British Colonel Garnet Wolseley.  Wolseley’s force was equipped with four of the six 7-pounders and about 800 rounds of ammunition.  From the base at Prince Arthur’s Landing (now Thunder Bay), two guns continued on to Fort Garry (now Winnipeg), where they were later turned over to the militia. The two guns remaining at the landing were returned to Québec when the expedition returned.  Doug Knight.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 377).  This gun was used at the Battle of Cutknife Hill in 1885.  No. 1 of 2 flanking the Honour Roll Monument, “Depot Division”.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 397).  This gun was also used at the Battle of Cutknife Hill in 1885.  No. 2 of 2 flanking the Honour Roll Monument, “Depot Division”.

Bronze 7-pounder 3-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, (Serial No. 358).  Presented to the Earl of Minto in 1911, returned to Canada in 1962.  In storage, “Depot Division”, to be confirmed.

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-4 (928 lbs), 1870, mounted on a field carriage with limber, on display inside the museum.

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-0 (924 lbs), 1870, 0-2-5-2, Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a field carriage, on the Parade Ground.

.303-inch air-cooled Maxim Nordenfelt Machine Gun, used at White Pass Summit in the Klondike by the NWMP.

.303 water-cooled Maxim Nordenfelt Machine Gun, used at the Chilkoot Pass by the NWMP.  This gun was in use in the South African War 1899-1902, and brought back to Canada by soldiers who fought in that conflict.

Regina, HMCS Queen

Lewis Gun firing practice, NLBP Exercise by HMCS Queen, RCNVR Regina, Saskatchewan, 21 Nov 1939.  (Photos from the collection of Don Gannon, courtesy of Lt Donald Mitchell, Admin O, HMCS Queen)