Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery Preserved in Canada 3: Saskatchewan, Battleford, Estevan, Fort Qu'appelle, Indian Head, Kamsack, Lembourg and Meota

Artillery preserved in the province of Saskatchewan, Battleford, Estevan, Fort Qu'appelle, Indian Head, Kamsack, Lembourg and Meota

Data current to 14 April 2019.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

Saskatchewan

Battleford

 (Maxwell Toms Photo)

German Great War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 16660), likely captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade of a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).  Battleford cenotaph.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 machine-gun.

 (Terry Honour Photo)

German Great War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW n.A.), (Serial Nr. 9194), captured by the 8th Battalion (90th Winnipeg Rifles), 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), at Billet No. 10, Warvillers, France.  Originally allocated to Battleford this trecnh mortar is in the Fred Light Museum.

The 7.58 cm Minenwerfer a.A. (alter Art or old model) (7.58 cm leMW).  The Germans fielded a whole series of mortars before the beginning of the First World War.  Their term for them was Minenwerfer, literally mine-thrower; they were initially assigned to engineer units in their siege warfare role.  By the Winter of 1916-17, they were transferred to infantry units where the leMW's light weight permitted them to accompany the foot-soldiers in the advance.  In common with Rheinmetall's other Minenwerfer designs, the leMW was a rifled muzzle-loader that had hydraulic cylinders on each side of the tube to absorb the recoil forces and spring recuperators to return the tube to the firing position.  It had a rectangular firing platform with limited traverse and elevation.  Wheels could be added to ease transportation or it could be carried by at least six men.  In 1916, a new version, designated as the n.A. or neuer Art, was fielded that included a circular firing platform, giving a turntable effect, which permitted a full 360 degree traverse.  It also had a longer 16 inches (410 mm) barrel and could be used for direct fire between 0° and 27° elevation if the new 90 kg (200 lb) trail was fitted to absorb the recoil forces.  In this mode it was pressed into service as an anti-tank gun.

BattlefordFort Battleford National Historic Site

 (Maxwell Toms Photos)

Steel 7-pounder 2-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 1-3-5 (201 lbs), CCCXVII (317), Queen Victoria cypher, mounted on a wood gun carriage with limber.

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, A Battery, RCA, 24 Apr 1885, Fish Creek, Saskatchewan, Riel Rebellion.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3192260)

 (Maxwell Toms Photo)

9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-6 (930 lbs), 1877, (Serial No. 420), mounted on a field carriage with limber.

  (Leon Jensen Photo)

.45-inch calibre Gatling Gun,  mounted on a wood wheeled carriage.  Gatling Guns were used in the engagements at Cut Knife and Batoche in 1885.

Estevan

German First World War 7.7-cm FK 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.) Field Gun, May 1917.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3403111)

German Great War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 8601) (no data).  Likely captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade, in a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).

Fort Qu'appelle

 (Wilf Pyle Photos)

German Great War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 8482), no data.  Likely captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade, in a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).

Indian Head

 

 (Wilf Pyle Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 6958), no data.  Likely captured by a Canadian Battalion within an Infantry Brigade, in a Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).

Kamsack

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08s being examined by Canadians in France, May 1917.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3213520)

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 (Serial Nr. unknown).  No. 1 gun flanking the cenotaph at Queen Elizabeth Blvd and 3rd Ave S.

 (Streetview Photo)

German Great War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 (Serial Nr.).  No. 2 gun flanking the cenotaph at Queen Elizabeth Blvd and 3rd Ave S.

Lembourg

American 90-mm M1A1 Anti-Aircraft Gun, private collector.

Meota

 (DHH Photo)

German Great War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW n.A.), (Serial Nr. 31310).  This trench mortar was captured by the 1st Battalion (Western Ontario), 1st Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), on 8 Aug 1918, ½ km NW of Beaufort, France.  This trench mortar is located next to the cenotaph at 3rd Ave E and Beach St in Meota Regional Park.