Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada, 10: Newfoundland & Labrador, St. John's

Artillery preserved in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador, St. John's

Data current to 21 April 2019.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn)

St. John’s

4.7-inch QF Mk. III Gun (Serial No. 1060) on a Central Pivot Mount Mk I, C10, No. 1 of 2 at Fort Amherst.  This gun is in very poor condition and has fallen into the land wash.  is on mounting C10 and (Serial No. 1159) is on mounting C5.  (Author Photo)

4.7-inch QF Mk. III Gun (Serial No. 1159) on a Central Pivot Mount Mk I, C15, No. 2 of 2 at Fort Amherst.  This gun is in very poor condition.

3-pounder QF Hotchkiss Gun, stored at Signal Hill by Parks Canada, along with a number of spare guns of various weights.  (Author Photo)

American 75-mm M1917 Field Gun, on a Pedestal Mount, Chain Rock Battery, Signal Hill National Park.  This gun and one other have been placed in storage by Parks Canada.  (Serial No. 24), and (Serial No. 821).  (Author Photo)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns (three) in poor condition from a wreck in Placentia Bay.  Entrance to the Battery Hotel.

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns mounted on garrison carriages from Fort Townsend, Quidi Vidi National Historic Site.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight unknown, King George III cypher, No. 1 of 2, Quidi Vidi Battery.  (Photo courtesy of Nilfanion)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight unknown, No. 2 of 2, Quidi Vidi Battery.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, weight 41-2-14 (4,662 lbs), The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. unknown, CARRON, year unknown) purchased in 1967.  No. 1 of 2, Quidi Vidi National Historic Site.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, weight unknown), The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. unknown, CARRON, year unknown) purchased in 1967.  No. 2 of 2, Quidi Vidi National Historic Site.

Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 6-1-21 (721 lbs), King George III cypher.  No. 1 of 2, Signal Hill National Historic Site.

Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, King George III cypher.  No. 2 of 2, Signal Hill National Historic Site.

Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, with family overlooking St. Johns Harbour, Aug 1960.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No.  4301465)

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, overlooking St. Johns Harbour, 1948.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No.  4949697)

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-2-21 (4,669 lbs), maker unknown, King George III cypher.  Signal Hill National Historic Site.

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-2-14 (4,662 lbs), maker unknown, King George III cypher.  Signal Hill National Historic Site.

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 42-0-0 (4,704 lbs), maker unknown, King George III cypher.  Signal Hill National Historic Site.

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 42-0-0 (4,704 lbs), maker unknown, King George III cypher.  Signal Hill National Historic Site.

Blomefield Cast Iron 42-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight and maker unknown, 12-feet long, (recorded in McConnell as located on Signal Hill).  David McConnell, British Smooth-Bore Artillery: A Technological Study, (Ottawa, Minister of Supply and Services Canada, 1988), p. 60.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, reproduction, Cabot Tower, fired as the noon day gun during tourist season.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, reproduction, weight 18-1-1 (2,045 lbs), mounted on an iron carriage, weight 17-0-1 (1,905 lbs), WCo, B broad arrow O, 62.  This mortar stands on the roof of Cabot Tower, and is used by the Tattoo re-enactors.

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 16-2-6 (1,854 lbs), King George III cypher.  North of Queen’s Battery.

Cast Iron 9-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, King George III cypher.  North of Queen’s Battery.  Rebuilt after it had been rolled over the hill and damaged.  It is now displayed in the artefacts collection in the Visitors Centre.

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder 38-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun,weight 36-0-5 (4,037 lbs), 1709, Queen Anne cypher, broad arrow mark.  North of Queen’s Battery.

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder 42-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark.  North of Queen’s Battery.

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, North of Queen’s Battery.

Blomefield Cast Iron 12-pounder 34-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, North of Queen’s Battery.

Cast Iron 68-pounder 36-cwt Smoothbore Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 34-1-3 (3,839 lbs), reproduction.  North of Queen’s Battery.

 (Author Photo)

Cast Iron 16-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, mounted on a wheeled carriage, Queen Victoria cypher.  Visitor Centre. 

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, mounted on a field carriage, used for artillery demonstrations.  Visitor Centre.

Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, Queen Ann cypher, no trunnions, No. 1 of 2, resting on timbers.  Admiral’s (Fort) Point.

Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, Queen Ann cypher, no trunnions, No. 2 of 2, resting on timbers.  Admiral’s (Fort) Point.

Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, Queen Ann cypher, resting on timbers.  Admiral’s (Fort) Point.

Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, Queen Ann cypher, resting on timbers.  Admiral’s (Fort) Point.

Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, buried vertically with 12-inches of the muzzle visible above ground, used as a support for the flag pole behind Lester green House.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight unknown, No. 1 of 2, in front of Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 1.

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight unknown, No. 2 of 2, in front of Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 1.

Bronze 2.5-inch Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 1 of 2 ceremonial guns with cast wheeled carriages, donated from the Touton Property to the Admiralty House Museum, Mount Pearl.  Restored by Jim Steinhauer and Nelson Sherren.  This gun came from the HMS Calypso, a Royal Newfoundland Naval Reserve (RNR) sail training corvette.

Bronze 2.5-inch Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 2 of 2 ceremonial guns with cast wheeled carriages, donated from the Touton Property to the Admiralty House Museum, Mount Pearl.  Restored by Jim Steinhauer and Nelson Sherren.  This gun came from the HMS Calypso, a Royal Newfoundland Naval Reserve (RNR) sail training corvette.

German First World War 10-cm Kanone 17 Field Gun (10-cm K 17), (Serial Nr. unknown), field gun in Bannerman Park.  This Gun has had its wheels replaced and has been restored four times by Nelson Sherren.   (Author photo ca. 1971)

German First World War 10-cm Kanone 17 (10-cm K17), (Serial Nr. unknown), field gun in Victoria Park.  The trail has been cut off and the forward part of the gun rests on a concrete stand with a plaque.  (Author photo ca 1971)

St. John’s, HMCS Cabot,  220 Southside Road, Pier 27.

3-pounder QF Hotchkiss Gun, inside the main entrance to the ship.   (Photos courtesy of Able Seaman Brittany Hayes, HMCS Cabot)

St. John’s, Pleasantville, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 56, St. John’s

 (Steve Cooney Photo)

 (Author Photo)

 (elyob Photos)

 (Terry Honour Photos)

German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 13 (15-cm sFH 13), (Serial Nr. 2634), heavy field howitzer.  This sFH 13 stands in front of the Legion.  Originally No. 1 of 2, previously in front of the Colonial Building.

German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 13 Heavy Field Howitzer (Serial Nr. unknown).  Originally No. 2 of 2, previously in front of the Colonial Building, this gun has been lost in a landfill.  (Author Photo)

The 15 cm schwere Feldhaubitze 13 (15-cm sFH 13), was a German heavy field howitzer.  The gun was a development of the previous standard howitzer, the 15-cm sFH 02.  Improvements included a longer barrel resulting in better range and a gun shield to protect the crew.  Variants were: the original "kurz" (L/14 – 14 calibre short barrel version), the lg. sFH13 with a longer barrel; and lg. sFH13/02 with minor modifications to simplify wartime manufacture of the lg. sFH weapons. Initially there were serious issues of weak recoil spring mechanisms that would break, and gun barrel explosions.  The problems were solved with the upgrades.  The British referred to these and their shells as "5 point 9"s or "5 9"s as the bore was 5.9 inches (150 mm).  The ability of these guns to deliver mobile heavy firepower close to the frontline gave the Germans a major firepower advantage on the Western Front early in the First World War, as the French and British lacked an equivalent.  It was not until late 1915 that the British began to deploy their own 6 inch 26 cwt howitzer.  About 3,500 of these guns were produced from 1913 to 1918.

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW), (Serial Nr. unknown), light trench mortar.  Royal Artillery Park Museum, preserved by Gordon Stamp, 166th (Newfoundland) Field Artillery Regiment.

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW), (Serial Nr. unknown), light trench mortar.  Royal Artillery Park Museum, also preserved by Gordon Stamp.

 (Photo courtesy of Steve Cooney)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun, originally on display in Bowring Park, this gun has been refurbished and is now in the Royal Artillery Park.  The Royal Artillery Park in Pleasantville was officially opened on 20 October 2010.  

 

American 155-mm American M2 Gun "Long Tom" on Mk. I Carriage, in service with the British 33/61 Heavy Regiment, Royal Artillery, at Vergato, Italy.  Gunners of the 59th (Newfoundland) Heavy Regiment made good use of this gun during the Second World War.  (IWM Photo NA 22470)

 (Steve Cooney Photo)

American 155-mm American M2 Gun "Long Tom" on Mk. I Carriage.  This 7-foot 2-inch long Heavy Gun came from Woolwich Artillery Park in the UK.  It is one of only three survivors.  Veterans of the 59th (Newfoundland) Heavy Regiment arranged for the Gun to brought to Newfoundland.  The Gun has been restored and repainted under Nelson Sherren`s direction.  

 (Nelson Sherren Photo)

Universal Carrier, (Serial No. TL12870D).

The top section of this Universal Carrier is completely enclosed.  This vehicle was purchased from a local owner by Nelson Sherren and 3 others and restored by Metal World.  This unit was one of many used by the Lincoln and Welland Regiment from Sarnia, Ontario, in the defence of the Airport and the Avalon Peninsula in the Second World War.