Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery preserved in Canada, 10: Newfoundland & Labrador, Cape Spear, Carbonear, Catalina, Centreville-Wareham-Trinity, Clarenville, Corner Brook, Cupids, Ferryland, Grand Falls-Windsor and Greenspond

Artillery preserved in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador, Cape Spear, Carbonear, Catalina, Centreville-Wareham-Trinity, Clarenville, Corner Brook, Cupids, Ferryland, Grand Falls-Windsor and Greenspond

Data current to 21 April 2019.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn)

Cape Spear

 (David Davies Photo)

 (Martin Durocher Photo)

 (Nilfanion Photo)

 (WikPedant Photo)

 (Author Photo)

10-inch Gun M1888, (Serial No. 41), with the barrel mounted on a concrete stand (originally mounted on a disappearing gun mount, long since scrapped.

A second barrel (Serial No. 3, Watervliet) is reported to be in the same location.  Because of its proximity to convoy routes during the Second World War, the gun battery was installed at Cape Spear to defend the entrance to St. John’s harbour.  Barracks and underground passages leading to the bunkers were built for the use of troops stationed there.

A total of eight 10-inch American ex-pats were located on the East Coast during the Second World War, including two disappearing guns at Fort Cape Spear (both still there), two barbette guns at Botwood, Newfoundland, two barbette guns at Fort McNutt, McNutt's Island, Shelburne, Nova Scotia (both still there), one barbette and one disappearing gun at Fort Prevel, Quebec.

10-inch disappearing Gun M1895 being loaded by the 10th (K) Co., 13th Regiment, June, 1908, Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, New York, USA.  (Library of Congress Photo)

8-inch, 10-inch & 12-inch Guns on barbette carriages, ca 1898, Sandy Hook Coastal Defense Batteries, Gateway National Recreation Area, Fort Hancock, New Jersey.  (Library of Congress Photo, G.G. Bain 00540)

  (Jonathan Zander Photo)

10-inch disappearing Gun M1895, Fort Casey, Whidbey Island, Washington.

Carbonear

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, previously in Labrador, now in front of the home of the late Fred Earl. 

 (Alan Cass Photo)

 (Cynthia Davis Photo)

 (Maxwell J. Toms Photo)

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, with blown barrel, weight 39-3-1 (4,453 lbs), trunnions corroded, Royal cypher possibly King George II, heavily corroded, mounted on a wood stand, No. 1 of 2  on Harbour Rock Hill. 

In 1812 Mr. H. C. Watts asked Governor Duckworth to give Carbonear three guns to protect itself from American privateers.  The biggest gun was called "Watts Long Tom" and was mounted on Harbour Rock Hill.  Watts' Long Tom, was placed in a gun pit at Crocker's Cove Point in 1812 by the crew of H.M.S. Comet, under the command of Capt. Blamey.  He had been sent around the  harbours to the north of St. John's both to place weapons to defend the harbours and to raise Volunteer Companies to man them. (Duckworth Papers pp 2647-50, 2810-2811 et al, PANL MG204 - mf copy of orig. PAC).  The cannon was hauled from Crocker's Cove Point to Harbour Rock Hill in February 1817 during the Winter of the Rals.  The starving men from the smaller coves to the north of Carbonear aimed it into the town to threaten the merchants into giving them supplies.  They came to some resolution.  It appears to be an older pattern Armstrong 18 or 24 pdr, probably from the stores in St. John's.  Someone tried to fire it in recent times and blew the front of the muzzle off.  (Alan Cass, Carbonear Heritage Society)

 (Cynthia Davis Photo, Town of Carbonear)

 (Alan Cass Photo)

(Maxwell J. Toms Photos)

 (Terry Honour Photo)

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, heavily corroded, mounted on a wood stand, No. 2 of 2 on Harbour Rock Hill.  This gun is old and the trunnions are corroded, the cascabel is broken and numbers are not visible.  It is reported to have come from the local community of Freshwater.  Its owners and origins are unknown.  (Alan Cass, Carbonear Heritage Society)

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, no data available, mounted on a gun carriage, private ownership, in front of Harold Forwards house on the Southside Road.

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, no data available, mounted on a gun carriage, private ownership, Fred Earle Jrs., yard.

 (Cynthia Davis Photo)

 (Alan Cass Photos)

 (Maxwell J. Toms Photos)

 (Terry Honour Photos)

3-pounder QF (V) (Vicker's Model) Hotchkiss Gun, mounted on a naval gun stand in the War Memorial Park.  It is marked R.C.D. 1906.  It was a shipboard weapon brought to Carbonear by Capt. Cyrus Taylor, and stood across the road from his house until being moved to the present site in 1980.  Capt. Taylor was captain of many semi-official vessels during and after the First World War and this 3-pounder could have been taken from any one of them.  For instance he commanded the ex-RN sloop Lobelia when it had been given to Newfoundland and outfitted as a Labrador passenger ship.  (Carbonear Heritage Society)

Canadian soldier examining a German First World War 7.58-cm leMW trench mortar as German prisoners carrying their wounded pass by him during the advance East of Arras, France, Aug 1918.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3403179)

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (7.58-cm leMW n.A.), (Serial Nr. unknown), Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 23.   (Alan Cass Photos)

This leMW n.A Minenwerfer was donated to the community of Carbonear in 1921 as part of the distribution of War trophies given Newfoundland by government of Great Britain.  It stood in front of the Court House, later the Town Hall, on Musgrave Street.  At some point it was disposed of as scrap to the current owner.  He has displayed it in front of his house on White's Road for many years, minus its wheels.  (JHA 1922 appdx. p.152).  (Alan Cass, Carbonear Historical Society)

The 7.58 cm Minenwerfer a.A. (alter Art or old model) (7.58 cm leMW).  The Germans fielded a whole series of mortars before the beginning of the First World War.  Their term for them was Minenwerfer, literally mine-thrower; they were initially assigned to engineer units in their siege warfare role.  By the Winter of 1916-17, they were transferred to infantry units where the leMW's light weight permitted them to accompany the foot-soldiers in the advance.  In common with Rheinmetall's other Minenwerfer designs, the leMW was a rifled muzzle-loader that had hydraulic cylinders on each side of the tube to absorb the recoil forces and spring recuperators to return the tube to the firing position.  It had a rectangular firing platform with limited traverse and elevation.  Wheels could be added to ease transportation or it could be carried by at least six men.  In 1916, a new version, designated as the n.A. or neuer Art, was fielded that included a circular firing platform, giving a turntable effect, which permitted a full 360 degree traverse.  It also had a longer 16 inches (410 mm) barrel and could be used for direct fire between 0° and 27° elevation if the new 90 kg (200 lb) trail was fitted to absorb the recoil forces.  In this mode it was pressed into service as an anti-tank gun.

Carbonear Island

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, severely corroded, protruding from a rock pile.

Catalina

Cast Iron 2-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, severely corroded, set on a wood cradle near the museum.

 (Joyce Sherren Photo)

German First World War 17-cm mittlerer Minenwerfer, (17-cm mMW), medium trench mortar (Serial Nr. unknown).  

The 17 cm mittlerer Minenwerfer (17 cm mMW).  This mortar was useful in destroying bunkers and field fortifications otherwise immune to normal artillery.  It was a muzzle-loading, rifled mortar that had a standard hydro-spring recoil system. It fired 50 kilogram (110 lb) HE shells, which contained far more explosive filler than ordinary artillery shells of the same calibre.  The low muzzle velocity allowed for thinner shell walls, hence more space for filler. Furthermore, the low velocity allowed for the use of explosives like Ammonium Nitrate-Carbon that were less shock-resistant than TNT, which was in short supply.  This caused a large number of premature detonations that made crewing the minenwerfer riskier than normal artillery pieces.  A new version of the weapon, with a longer barrel, was put into production at some point during the war.  It was called the 17 cm mMW n/A (neuer Art) or new pattern, while the older model was termed the a/A (alter Art) or old pattern.  In action the mMW was emplaced in a pit, after its wheels were removed, not less than 1.5 meters deep to protect it and its crew.  It could be towed short distances by four men or carried by 17.  Despite its extremely short range, the mMW proved to be very effective at destroying bunkers and other field fortifications.  Consequently its numbers went from 116 in service when the war broke out to some 2,361 in 1918.

6-pounder AT Gun being loaded by Pat Brophy on Signal Hill, 1959.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4949668)

 (Joyce Sherren Photo)

6-pounder 7-cwt QF Anti-Tank Gun at the war memorial.

Centreville-Wareham-Trinity

25-pounder C Mk. I QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, beside the cenotaph.

Possible German First World War 7.92-mm Shwarzlose MG M.7/12 mounted on a tripod beside the cenotaph.

Clarenville

 (Terry Honour Photos)

 (Maxwell J. Toms Photo)

105-mm L5 Pack Howitzer, CFR unknown, carriage No. 57668, 1969.  This gun is located on Memorial Ave and Balbo Street, in front of the cenotaph and across from the Town Hall.

Corner Brook

 (Terry Honour Photo)

 (Maxwell J. Toms Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, located beside the cenotaph in front of City Hall at Main Street and West Street.

Cupids

 (Terry Honour Photos)

 (Maxwell J. Toms Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Gun, heavily corroded, possibly King George II cypher, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.

Ferryland

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, heavily corroded, No. 1 of 2 on a wooden stand beside the cenotaph.

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, heavily corroded, No. 2 of 2 on a wooden stand beside the cenotaph.

Grand Falls - Windsor

3-pounder QF Hotchkiss Gun, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 12.

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, with CMP FAT & limber, 2nd Division parade, ca 1945.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4233445)

 (John MacDonald Photos)

 (Maxwell J. Toms Photos)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, a gift from the Netherlands, this gun is on display at the town War Memorial.  

According to a "Report of Disposition of War Trophies to 19 February 1921 (Journal of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland)", a captured German Field Gun (likely an FK 97), (Serial Nr. unknown), was sent to Grand Falls on 31 Dec 1920.  This gun may still be there, location and confirmation to be determined.

Greenspond

Cast Iron possible 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade, No. 1 of 4 Guns, behind the cenotaph and in front of the Greenspond Memorial Library.  (Streetview Photos)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun No. 2 of 4 Guns, mounted on a concrete stand behind the cenotaph and in front of the Greenspond Memorial Library.

Possible German First World War 24-cm Flügelminenwerfer, No. 3 of 4 guns, behind the cenotaph and in front of the Greenspond Memorial Library.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun No. 4 of 4 Guns, mounted on a concrete stand behind the cenotaph and in front of the Greenspond Memorial Library.