|Artillery preserved in Canada 1: British Columbia, New Westminster
Artillery preserved in the province of
British Columbia, New Westminster
Data current to 3 Feb 2019.
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:
Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website
Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake". It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign. (Acorn sends)
(City of Vancouver Archives Photo, AM54-S4-: Mon P27.1)
A pair of smoothbore muzzleloading guns mounted on concrete stands stood guard under the Simon Fraser monument in 1930.
(Terry Leith Photos)
64-pounder 71-cwt Converted Rifled Muzzleloading Gun with Millar-pattern breeching ring, weight 64-1-0 (7,196 lbs), RGF No. 147, 1864 on the left trunnion, mounted on an iron garrison carriage. The gun is from the lower deck of a British Man of War, from redundant stores of the Royal Navy Dockyard sent to Victoria, in 1895. It stands in front of the Armoury, home of the Museum of the Royal Westminster Regiment, 530 Queen’s Avenue
(City of Vancouver Archives Photo)
The Seymour Battery of Garrison Artillery at "The Battery" southeast of Albert Crescent in New Westminster, ca 1878-1886.
(Leon Jensen Photo)
Major General Jonathan Peel Master General of the Ordnance cypher,
(Author Photos, 25 Jan 2019)
Bronze 24-pounder 12-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Howitzer, weight 12-2-24 (1,424 lbs), 1858 on the left trunnion, Serial No. DCCXV (615), on the right trunnion, Queen Victoria (1837 to 1901) cypher, 4858 with broad arrow on the barrel, F.M. EARDLEY-WILMOT above the cascabel. Mounted on a wheeled carriage, No. 1 of 2 on display in front of City Hall. These guns arrived on 15 Sep 1866 on HMS Sparrowhawk and were used for training and defence in British Columbia until 1873.
Queen Vicotoria royal cypher.
Bronze 24-pounder 12-cwt Smoothbore Muzzle-loading Howitzer, weight 12-2-12 (1,412 lbs), 1859 on the left trunnion, Q9, Serial No. CCCXI (311) on the right trunnion, Queen Victoria cypher, 4858 with broad arrow on the barrel, F.M. EARDLEY-WILMOT above the cascabel. Mounted on a wheeled carriage, No. 2 of 2 on display in front of City Hall.
Ordnance Rifle, replica, 1861, Seymour Battery.