Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery - Ireland, Glen of Imaal, Kilbride, Charles Fort - Kinsale, Limerick, Millmount, Old Bridge, Ringaskiddy, Ross Castle, Rosses Point, Rosslare Harbour, Strandhill, Templemore, Tralee, Tramore, Trim Castle, and Youghal Battery

Artillery preserved in Ireland, 

Glen of Imaal, Kilbride, Charles Fort - Kinsale, Limerick, Millmount, Old Bridge, Ringaskiddy, Ross Castle, Rosses Point, Rosslare Harbour, Strandhill, Templemore, Tralee, Tramore, Trim Castle, and Youghal Battery

Data current to 1 March 2020.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Ireland.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Ireland would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

The Artillery Corps (An Cór Airtléire), initially founded in 1924, is the artillery branch of the Irish Army.  The Corps is charged with providing fire support to other sections of the Army.  Since the Second World War, the Artillery Corps has been organised into separate Coastal Defence, Field Artillery and Air Defence Regiments.  In the late 20th century, the Coastal Defence component was dissolved and integrated with the Field Artillery component.  In 2013 the Air Defence regiment also ceased to operate as a separate component, and the Field Artillery regiments, known as Brigade Artillery Regiments, took over the Air Defence role.

Today the Artillery Corps comprises the Artillery School, located in the Defence Forces Training Centre (DFTC) in Curragh Camp, and two Brigade Artillery Regiments (one for each of the two Brigades of the army), located in Collins Barracks, Cork (1 BAR) and Custume Barracks, Athlone (2 BAR).

Glen of Imaal, County Wicklow, Ireland

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance QF 25-pounder field guns.  Ex-7 FAR.  (Colin Stone Photos)

Kilbride, County Wicklow, Ireland

 (Colin Stone Photo)

Bofors 40-mm L/60 QF Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, mounted on a wheeled gun carriage, serving as a Gate Guardian.

Kinsale, Charles Fort, County Cork, Ireland

Charles Fort is a star fort located on the water's edge, at the southern end of the village of Summer Cove, on Kinsale harbour, County Cork.  James Fort is located on the other side of the harbour.  Charles Fort is built on the site of an earlier stronghold known as Ringcurran Castle, which featured prominently during the Siege of Kinsale in 1601.  The fort, which is named after Charles II, was designed by the Surveyor-general Sir William Robinson.  The fort was built in the 1670s and 1680s to a star fortification design - a layout specifically designed to resist attack by cannon.  The inland bastions of the fort however are overlooked by higher ground, a fact of critical importance when the fort was besieged by John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough (then 1st Earl) in 1690 during the Williamite War in Ireland.  Repairs were made following the siege, and the fort remained in use as a British Army barracks for two hundred years afterwards.  An early lighthouse was established here in the 17th century.  The fort was relinquished by British forces following the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921, but it fell out of use after being burned by the retreating anti-Treaty forces during the Irish Civil War in 1922.  The complex was named a National Monument of Ireland in 1971 and has been partly restored by Dúchas, the Irish heritage service.

 (The Speckled Bird Photo)

Charles Fort, seaward embrasures.

 (Jimmy Harris Photo)

Breechloading 6-inch Mk. VII Gun, unmounted, No. 1 and No. 2 of 2, on the ground inside the fort.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

Breechloading 6-inch Mk. VII Gun, unmounted, No. 1 and No. 2 of 2, on the ground inside the fort.

 (Blorg Photo)

Cast Iron 32-pounder 17-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, No. 1 and No. 2 of 2.

Limerick, County Limerick, Ireland

  (Nils E. Photo)

 (William Murphy Photos)

Cast Iron possible 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun,  mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 1 of 2 in the courtyard at King John's Castle.   The castle was built by Anglo-Norman invaders and settlers of Ireland early in the 13th century.

Cast Iron possible 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun,  mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 2 in the courtyard at King John's Castle.

 (Nils E. Photo)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, unmounted, No. 1 of 3 inside King John's Castle.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, unmounted, No. 2 of 3 inside King John's Castle.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, unmounted, No. 3 of 3 inside King John's Castle.

Millmount, Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland

Millmount is a large fortified complex situated on a great mound on the South bank of the River Boyne.  The fort has played a crucial part in Drogheda's history and has been a dominant feature from Norman settlement, to Cromwell's invasion to the more recent Civil War in 1922, in which the famous Martello tower was shelled and all but destroyed.  Today the complex houses the Millmount Museum which houses a wide variety of artifacts of local and national importance. The complex is Drogheda's most dominant feature, clearly visible from all parts of the town.  The Martello tower is affectionately known as "The Cup and Saucer" by locals. The whole fort is a national monument and has been designated as Drogheda's Cultural Quarter.

 (474do5 Photo)

 (Kieran Campbell Photo)

Bronze 9-pounder 13-1/2-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, mounted on a wood traversing gun carriage, No. 1 of 2, set into the original mounts in the Martello tower at Millmount overlooking the North Quay on the River Boyne.

Bronze 9-pounder 13-1/2-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, mounted on a wood traversing gun carriage, No. 2 of 2, set into the original mounts in the Martello tower at Millmount overlooking the North Quay on the River Boyne.

Mullingar (artillery preserved in this location is listed on a separate page on this web site)

Oldbridge, County Meath

 (Windsocker Photo)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading, mounted on a wheeled wooden gun carriage, on display at the entrance to the Oldbridge Estate.  The gun stand in a park commemorating the  Battle of the Boyne between King William III and his father- in-law, King James II, fought on 1 July 1690 (11 July according to the present day calendar).  Both kings commanded their armies in person. William had 36,000 men and James had 25,000 - the largest number of troops ever deployed on an Irish battlefield.  At stake were the British throne, French dominance in Europe and religious power in Ireland.

Ringaskiddy, County Cork

 (Bruce S Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on an iron garrison carriage,  located in front of the Port of Cork Ferry Terminal.

Ross Castle, Killarney, County Kerry

 (Disco1878 Photo)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns mounted on wood carriages guarding the castle.  (teeoff2 Photos)

Ross Castle (Irish: Caisleán an Rois) is the ancestral home of the O'Donoghue clan though it is better known for its association with the Brownes of Killarney who owned it until recently. It is located on the edge of Lough Leane, in Killarney National Park.

Rosses Point, County Sligo, Ireland

 (Windsocker Photos)

Spanish Cast Iron 7-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.  This Cannon is said to have been rescued off the wreck of a Spanish Ship sunk in Sligo Harbour.  The Santa Maria de La Vision of the Spanish armada was wrecked at Streedagh Strand along with Juliania and La Lavia.  English divers found them under shifting sand in 1985. The Three ships whadbeen at anchor in Sligo Harbour before a storm and they may have dragged and lost their anchors when they were driven ashore.

Rosslare Harbour, County Wexford, Ireland

 (David Hawgood Photo)

9-inch 12-ton Mk. I Muzzleloading Rifle with Millar pattern breeching ring, mounted on a concrete stand, No. 1 of 2 on the sand at Quality Beach.

9-inch 12-ton Mk. I Muzzleloading Rifle with Millar pattern breeching ring, mounted on a concrete stand, No. 2 of 2 on the sand at Quality Beach.

Strandhill, County Sligo.

 (GuidiGO Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, facing the harbour.  No. 1 of 2.

  (Winsocker Photos)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, facing the harbour.  No. 2 of 2, on display in a garden at the foot of the Knocknarea mountains.

Templemore, County Tipperary, Ireland

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance QF 4.5-inch howitzer.

Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland

 (Kglavin Photo)

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, a Crimean War Trophy mounted on an iron garrison gun carriage.  Crimean War Memorial, in front of the Tralee Courthouse.

Tramore, County Waterford, Ireland

 (Paul O'Farrell Photo)

9-inch 12-ton Mk. I Muzzleloading Rifle with Millar pattern breeching ring, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, on Lady Doneraile Walk, facing the harbour.

 (National Library of Ireland Photo, P WP 1088)

Coastal Artillery gunners ca 1905, serving what may be a 5-inch breechloading gun on a ship's pattern Vavasseur broadside mounting at the Battery beside Doneraile Walk. 

Trim Castle, County Meath, Ireland

 (Jim Stanton Photo)

Russian Cast Iron  36-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, (Serial No. unknown) on the left trunnion, possibly by Foullon at Alexandrovski, with double-headed Eagle on the barrel, mounted on an iron garrison gun carriage.  This gun is a war trophy from the Crimean War, 1854-1855. (Trim Castle is a Norman castle on the south bank of the River Boyne in Trim, County Meath, Ireland. With an area of 30,000 m², it is the largest Norman castle in Ireland).

Youghal Battery, County Cork, Ireland

 (Grimhelm Photo)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, unmounted, resting on concrete stands in the Youghal Battery, No. 1 of 3.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, unmounted, resting on concrete stands in the Youghal Battery, No. 2 of 3.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, unmounted, resting on concrete stands in the Youghal Battery, No. 3 of 3.