Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   
Artillery - Ireland (2) Athlone Castle, Custume Barracks, Baldonel, Bunratty Castle, Cobh, Connolly Barracks, Duncannon, and Galway

Artillery preserved in Ireland, Athlone Castle, Custume Barracks, Baldonel, Bunratty Castle, Cobh, Connolly Barracks, Duncannon, and Galway

Data current to 1 Apr 2021.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Ireland.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Ireland would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at

The Artillery Corps (An Cór Airtléire), initially founded in 1924, is the artillery branch of the Irish Army.  The Corps is charged with providing fire support to other sections of the Army.  Since the Second World War, the Artillery Corps has been organised into separate Coastal Defence, Field Artillery and Air Defence Regiments.  In the late 20th century, the Coastal Defence component was dissolved and integrated with the Field Artillery component.  In 2013 the Air Defence regiment also ceased to operate as a separate component, and the Field Artillery regiments, known as Brigade Artillery Regiments, took over the Air Defence role.

Paddy Macky served in a couple of Irish Regiments and reported, "in the old days, we often referred to the 2nd Field Artillery Regiment as - 2 RAM (in English 2 FAR).  In Irish (Gaelic), the "2nd Field Artillery Regiment" would be translated as "2ú Reisimint Airtleireachta Machaire", and so the same would be of the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th Regiments etc."

Today the Artillery Corps comprises the Artillery School, located in the Defence Forces Training Centre (DFTC) in Curragh Camp, and two Brigade Artillery Regiments (one for each of the two Brigades of the army), located in Collins Barracks, Cork (1 BAR) and Custume Barracks, Athlone (2 BAR).

Athlone Castle, Athlone, Westmeath, Ireland

 (Borvan53 Photo)

The earliest recorded “castle” of Athlone was a wooden structure built in 1129, by King Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair of Connacht, possibly on the site of the present castle.  The stone castle which survives today dates from the year 1210 and was built for King John by his Irish Justiciar, Bishop John de Gray of Norwich.  It was built to defend the crossing point of the river at Athlone and to provide a bridgehead to facilitate the Norman advance into Connaught.

 (Author Photo)

The castle of 1210 was a free standing polygonal tower built on a newly built (or existing) ‘motte’ or man-made hill.  This tower, though greatly altered, can still be seen as the central keep or ‘donjon’ of the castle today.  At the time the castle was built the Shannon, as it passed through Athlone, was very different from today.  It is likely that in the early days of its existence the castle enjoyed the protection of a fosse or moat.

The castle was greatly fortified in the late 13th century (ca 1276) when the original ‘motte’ was surrounded with a curtain wall with three-quarter round towers (or drum towers) at the corner.  These features, again greatly rebuilt, still survive today.  The castle was reconstructed by Sir William Brabazon (Lord Justice of Ireland) in 1547. 

The external walls and towers came under heavy fire during the Sieges of Athlone in 1690 and 1691, and they were later destroyed when lightning struck the castle in 1697.  The castle as we view it today shows signs of extensive remodelling during the Napoleonic era when it was modernised and adapted for artillery.  Today the squat drum towers are somewhat reminiscent of the Martello towers (again of the Napoleonic era) which are found around Dublin.

The large scale Ordnance survey map of 1874 named some of the features which were then extant on the castle.  These included the Officers’ quarters & soldiers’ quarters; master gunners’ quarters; guard house; ablutions room; cook house; kitchen; guard house and draw bridge.  The officers’ quarters and soldiers’ quarters were located in the five-bay, two-storey barrack building which overlooks Main Street.  This late Georgian building dates to ca 1810.

 (Author Photo)

The Castle has many interesting features including the shape of the ‘sally gate’ in the wall of the castle overlooking the Shannon; a bow loop from the era when the castle was protected by archers, in the wall facing into Castle Street as well as gun-embrasures and pistol loops on the walls protecting the entrance ramp.  One important feature which disappeared in the 20th century was the drawbridge which survived until the 1940s.  The castle was taken over by the Irish Army in 1922 and continued as a military installation until it was transferred to the Office of Public Works in 1970.

The Keep of the Castle is a National Monument.  The castle which had been part of the defences of Athlone for 750 years became the home of a museum run by the Old Athlone Society in 1966 and of a modern visitor centre developed by Athlone Urban District Council in 1991.  Athlone Castle is pivotal to the understanding of the development of the town of Athlone, linking the modern Athlone with its Norman founders.

 (Author Photo)

Cast Iron 24-pounder Armstrong pattern Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, heavily corroded, but with remains of a Royal cypher (King George 2 or 3), visible on the barrel, No. 1 of 2.

 (Author Photo)

Cast Iron 24-pounder Armstrong pattern Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, heavily corroded, but with remains of a Royal cypher (King George 2 or 3) visible on the barrel, No. 2 of 2.  Athlone Castle was first fitted out as an artillery platform shortly after 1800.  At that time it mounted eleven 6-pounder guns, although heavier guns were subsequently installed.  This gun is an 18th century 24-pounder.  The Royal monogram of King George is visible on the barrel (GR).  The embrasure, through which the gun barrel is projecting is brick-lined to soften the impact of hostile fire and to reduce the danger to the gunners from stone splinters.

 (Author Photos)

Cast Iron 10-inch 16-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, No. 1 of 2.

 (Author Photos)

Cast Iron 10-inch 16-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, No. 2 of 2.

Athlone, Custume Barracks, Ireland

Custume Barracks, named after Sergeant Custume who defended the bridge from the forces of King William III during the Siege of Athlone, were completed in 1691.  The barracks were taken over by forces of the Irish Free State in 1922 and served as the headquarters of 4th Western Brigade until the brigade was disbanded and is now part of 2 Brigade which is headquartered from Cathal Brugha Barracks in Dublin.  The barracks remains the home of 6th Infantry Battalion as the lead unit, and 2nd Brigade Artillery Regiment and detachments of 2 Engineer Company and the Medical Corps.

 (Artillery Club Ireland Photo)

 (Colin Stone Photos)

French 75-mm Field Gun, aka Canon de 75 Modèle 1897, on the parade square, Custume Barracks.

The French 75 mm field gun is a quick-firing field artillery piece adopted in March 1898.  Its official French designation was: Matériel de 75mm Mle 1897.  It was commonly known as the French 75, simply the 75 and Soixante-Quinze (seventy-five).  The French 75 was designed as an anti-personnel weapon system for delivering large volumes of time-fused shrapnel shells on enemy troops advancing in the open.  After 1915 and the onset of trench warfare, other types of battlefield missions demanding impact-detonated high-explosive shells prevailed.  By 1918 the 75s became the main agents of delivery for toxic gas shells.  The 75s also became widely used as truck mounted anti-aircraft artillery.  They were also the main armament of the Saint-Chamond tank in 1918.

The French 75 is widely regarded as the first modern artillery piece.  It was the first field gun to include a hydro-pneumatic recoil mechanism, which kept the gun's trail and wheels perfectly still during the firing sequence.  Since it did not need to be re-aimed after each shot, the crew could reload and fire as soon as the barrel returned to its resting position.  In typical use, the French 75 could deliver fifteen rounds per minute on its target, either shrapnel or melinite high-explosive, out to a range of about 8,500 m (5.3 mi) away.   Its firing rate could even reach close to 30 rounds per minute, albeit only for a very short time and with a highly experienced crew.

At the beginning of the First World War, in August 1914, the French Army had about 4,000 of these field guns in service.  By the end of the war about 12,000 had been produced.  It was also in service with the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF), which had been supplied with about 2,000 French 75 field guns.  Several thousand were still in use in the French Army at the beginning of the Second Word War, updated with new wheels and tires to allow towing by trucks rather than by horses.  The French 75 set the pattern for almost all early-20th century field pieces, with guns of mostly 75 mm forming the basis of many field artillery units into the early stages of the Second World War.

Britain acquired a number of "autocanon de 75-mm mle 1913" anti-aircraft guns in 1915, as a stopgap measure while it developed its own anti-aircraft alternatives.  These AA guns were used in the defence of Britain, usually mounted on de Dion motor lorries using the French mounting which the British referred to as the "Breech Trunnion".  Britain also purchased a number of the standard 75-mm guns and adapted them for AA use using a Coventry Orndance Works mounting, the "Centre Trunnion".  At the Armistice there were 29 guns in service in Britain.

In June 1940, with many British field guns lost in the Battleof France, 895 M1897 field guns and a million rounds of ammunition were purchased from the US Army.  The basic, unmodified gun was known in British service as "Ordnance, QF, 75mm Mk 1", although many of the guns were issued to units on converted or updated mountings.  They were operated by field artillery and anti-tank units.  Some of the guns had their wheels and part of their carriages cut away so that they could be mounted on a pedestal called a "Mounting, 75mm Mk 1".  These weapons were employed as light coastal artillery and were not declared obsolete until March 1945.

During the Second World War, the British also received the American half-track M3 Gun Motor Carriage under Lend Lease terms and used these in Italy and Northern Europe until the end of the war as fire support vehicles in Armoured Car Regiments.  (Wikipedia)

Canadian Army T30 Howitzer Motor Carriage halftracks equipped with a 75-mm M1897A4 howitzer, aka "French 75" in Italy ca 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3607690)

  (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance QF 18-pounder Mk. IV field gun mounted on a Mk. V carriage.  The 18-pounder was the standard British Empire field gun of the First World War-era, and was produced in large numbers.  It was used by British Forces in all the main theatres, and by British troops in Russia in 1919 . Its calibre (84-mm) and shell weight were greater than those of the equivalent field guns in French (75-mm) and German (7.7-cm) service.  The first versions were introduced in 1904.  It was generally horse drawn until mechanisation in the 1930s.  Later versions remained in service with British forces until early 1942.

 (IWM Photo, 4700-101)

A Morris 6x4 Field Artillery Tractor of 96 Field Battery, Royal Artillery, tows one of the unit's Ordnance QF 18-pounder Mk. IV field guns (mounted on a Mk. V carriage) and limber over sandy terrain in 1938.  Note the tracks fitted to the Morris tractor to give more purchase on the sand.

Baldonnel, Casement Aerodrome, County Dublin, Ireland

Baldonel is chiefly known as the location of the headquarters of the Irish Air Corps (Irish Air Defence Forces) at Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, which has been in operation for over 90 years in the locality, first as a RFC then a RAF aerodrome until the creation of the Irish Free State in 1922, when the Irish Air Corps (IAC) took command of the field.

A Brief History of 2 Air Defence Battery, (Excerpt, Comdt John O’Brien, September 1989)

“The origin of the 2 Air Defence Battery (FCA), previously designated 2 Anti-Aircraft Battery up to 1986, lies in the 1959 re-organisation of the Permanent Defence Force and the Reserve Defence Forces.  The popular title given to this re-organisation was “integration”, and this succinctly describes the intention and effect of bringing the Forces together under common command and organisation.  The newly formed 2 Battery (Dublin) and its comrade unit, the 3 Battery (Limerick) came together with the 1 Battery (PDF, Kildare) newly constituted 1 Anti-Aircraft Regiment with Headquarters in Magee Barracks, Kildare.  The location of the batteries in Dublin and Limerick were influenced by the defence requirements of the major airfields.  The 4 Battery (Cork) was not formed until 1979, following the disbandment of the Coast Defence Artillery.  Under a later re-organisation of the Forces, most units reverted to structures somewhat comparable to the pre-1959 organisation.  The 1 Air Defence Regiment, however, remains fully integrated.”

“The battery came into existence in October 1959 when ten officers selected from FCA infantry units in and around Dublin came together to the new unit, under Lt Paul Holahan who had been given command of the fledging team.  Volunteers, NCOs and men were sought from other Dublin unts to provide a nucleus of experience and skill before general recruitment was opened.  Amongst those volunteers were Cpl Michael Flood, now Battery Commander, and Comdt Larry Holmes who was Battery Adjutant.”

“In the initial years, firing practice was held during annual training camp, but for a period of ten years until the aerial target was acquired firing generally took place on a weekend in September.  Between 1969 and 1977, the varied the locations of its annual camp. Kilkenny, Limerick, Lahinch, Duncannon and Ballincollig, all received the battery most hospitality and we were most thankful to the units and personnel who facilitated this enjoyable nomadic interlude.”

“In the late 1970s a decision was taken that the batteries should continue as an entity for the Regiment’s annual firing practice.  From 1979 to 1981, the battery’s annual camp extended to three weeks.  Since 1983, the annual camp has been confined to one week and this ensures a hectic programme to be carried out in Gormanston with the three batteries to fire.  It is a tribute to all concerned, particularly Regimental Headquarters that in...1989, time was found to mount a formal demonstration of weapons and mementos of the regiment and its predecessors.”  (The Artillery Club Newsletter, 13 Sep 2019)

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Bofors 40-mm L/60 QF Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, mounted on a wheeled gun carriage.  The Bofors 40-mm gun is an anti-aircraft autocannon designed in the 1930s by the Swedish arms manufacturer AB Bofors.  It was one of the most popular medium-weight anti-aircraft systems during the Second World War, and was used by most of the western Allies as well some captured systems being used by the Axis powers.  A small number of these weapons remain in service to this day.

Bantry Bay, Bantry House, Ireland (preserved artillery in this location is listed on a separate page on this web site)

Bunratty Castle, County Clare, Ireland

There are five Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns preserved inside the grounds of Bunratty Castle, a large 15th century tower house in County Clare.  It is located in the centre of Bunratty village, by the N18 road between Limerick and Ennis, near Shannon Town and its airport.

 (Chris Light Photo)

 (Nils E. Photo)

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 1 of 5 in Bunratty Castle.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 5 in Bunratty Castle.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 3 of 5 in Bunratty Castle.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 4 of 5 in Bunratty Castle.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 5 of 5 in Bunratty Castle.

Cobh, Ireland


 (Colin Stone Photos)

 (Bruce S Photo)

 (Jarda315 Photo)

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun (Serial No. 3659) on the left trunnion, possibly by Foullon at Alexandrovski, with double-headed Eagle on the barrel, mounted on an iron garrison gun carriage.  No. 93 is marked below the vent.  This gun is a war trophy from the Crimean War, 1854-1855.  A number of Irish regiments fought in the Crimean War.  The British seized some 1,500 iron SBML guns and hundreds of bronze cannon at the end of the Crimean War (1853-1856).  Shortly afterwards, guns captured at the great Russian Naval base of Sevastopol in the Crimea were offered for display in towns and cities throughout the UK and the British Empire, and many are still to be found where they were set up as war memorials in 1856.   This gun was found in the mighty fortress of Sevastopol.  No. 1 of 2 facing the Cobh harbour near Westbourne Place.  Munster.

 (Bruce S Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, (WCo) Walker & Company of Rotherham, Yorkshire, England on the left trunnion, (Serial No. unknown) on the right trunnion, mounted on a 24-pounder iron garrison carriage, No. 2 of 2 Guns facing the harbour.

Connolly Barracks, Curragh Camp, The Curragh, Ireland

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, a Crimean War Trophy mounted on an iron garrison gun carriage.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

French 75-mm Field Gun, aka Canon de 75 Modèle 1897, Serial No. 16722, ABS 1917, inside the museum.

French 75-mm Field Gun, aka Canon de 75 Modèle 1897, No. 1 of 2 on the parade square.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

French 75-mm Field Gun, aka Canon de 75 Modèle 1897, No. 2 of 2 on the parade square.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Funeral carriage.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

Ordnance QF 2-pounder anti-tank gun.  The 2-pounder is a 40-mm (1.575-inch) British gun that was used during the Second World War.

 (IWM Photo, H23836)

Ordnance QF 2-pounder anti-tank gun of 52nd Reconnaissance Regiment, Scotland, 3 September 1942.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

2-pounder QF Light Anti-Tank Gun, previously at Mullingar.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

Ordnance Quick-Firing 6-pounder 7 cwt anti-tank gun.  The 6-pounder was designed in the UK and used by Commonwealth forces during the Second World War.  Although planned before the start of the war, it did not reach service until the North African Campaign in April 1942 where it replaced the 2-pounder in the anti-tank role. The American Army also adopted the 6 pounder as their primary anti-tank gun which they designated as the 57-mm Gun M1.

 (IWM Photo, B8207)

Ordnance Quick-Firing 6-pounder 7 cwt anti-tank gun and Universal Carriers of the 15th (Scottish) Division during Operation 'Bluecoat', the offensive south-east of Caumont, France, 30 July 1944.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

QF 3.7-inch Anti-Aircraft Gun.  This gun was previously located at McGee Barracks, Kildare, 1 ADR, now closed.  

The QF 3.7-inch AA was Britain's primary heavy anti-aircraft gun during the Second World War.  It was roughly the equivalent of the German 88-mm FlaK and American 90-mm AA guns, but with a slightly larger calibre of 94-mm.  Production began in 1937 and it was used throughout the Second World War in all theatres except the Eastern Front.  It remained in use after the war until AA guns were replaced by guided missiles beginning in 1957.  The gun was produced in two versions, one mobile and another fixed.  The fixed mounting allowed more powerful ammunition, Mk. VI, which gave vastly increased performance.  Six variants of the two designs were introduced.

Paddy Macky wrote, "the shields of the 3.7-inch Howitzers kept falling off because of the severe BANG of the gun, so they left them off all of the time."

 (IWM Photo, H993)

QF 3.7-inch Anti-Arcraft Gun on a travelling carriage in London in 1939.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

QF 3.7-inch Mountain Howitzer.  First introduced in 1917, this howitzer was used during the Second World War, equipping artillery units.  The weapon was designed to be broken into eight mule loads, for transport over difficult terrain.  On occasion the gun was dismantled and manually hauled up to the upper floors of buildings to provide close support in urban fighting.  A lightened version was used briefly by airborne formations.  Given an open gun position, a practised crew could have the guns unloaded from the mules, reassembled and deployed ready for action in barely two minutes.  The 3.7-inch howitzer's adjustable suspension system allowed it to be deployed on almost any position, even those too uneven or with too steep a gradient to allow field artillery to be sited.  The process of removing the howitzer from a position and reloading it onto the gun mules involved much more lifting and securing loads than deploying it, but could be accomplished in three minutes in favourable conditions.  The howitzer has a split trail, the first British weapon to have one, which allowed forfiring at very high angles (a useful feature in mountainous terrain).  It also had a large rectangular shield to protect the crew from small-arms fire, but this was often omitted to save weight.  When it was first introduced, the howitzer had two wooden wheels and was light enough be towed by two horses.  Later marks have pneumatic tyres and could be towed by any light vehicle, such as the Universal Carrier or jeep.

 (IWM Photo, 4700-64)

QF 3.7-inch Mountain Howitzer in action in Burma in 1944.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance QF 18-pounder Mk. IV field gun mounted on a Mk. V carriage, Connolly Square.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance Quick-Firing 6-pounder 7 cwt anti-tank gun.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance QF 25-pounder field gun.  The 25-pounder was used during the Second World War.  It had a 3.45-inch (87.6-mm) calibre.  It was introduced into service just before the war started, combining high-angle and direct-fire, relatively high rates of fire, and a reasonably lethal shell in a highly mobile piece.  It remained as a Commonwealth field gun well into the 1960s, with smaller numbers serving in training units until the 1980s.  Many Commonwealth nations used theirs in active or reserve service until about the 1970s.

Paddy Macky wrote, "on the 25-pounder QF Gun the piece of metal-fixing under the breach that held the breach block itself up was called the 'Long/Short Breech Mechanism Lever' we called it 'the dogs bollocks'... because. . . ah I think you can work this one out yourself."

Paddy noted, "I remember in 1974 I think it was, when I was a young gunner (Layer, No.2 on my gun).  During our range practice at the Glen of Imaal (using 25-pounder guns), there were young officers who were acting as 'forward observers' whose job it was to send back information on the location of our target.  They kept making bad guesses at the distance/location etc of our target, so our gun was tasked with continually firing rounds based on their estimates until we got close to the target.  In the end, it was really just [ranging] by trial and error.  Anyway when all of our ammunition was used up, the next gun to us was then ordered to supply us with their ammunition (one round at a time).  When we took the last round from them, we loaded it up and I fired it off.  We then watched out for the burst of smoke and explosion on the ground a couple of miles ahead.   Well, we waited and waited and waited but there was no sign of the f@ckn shell anywhere...?  There was total silence on the gun position as we waited and watched, then eventually we heard a very faint bang far, far in the distance over the hills."

"Yes, the NCO in charge (No.1) of the next gun got a large pain in his rocks feeding us all of his ammunition so before giving us his last round he stuffed the casing of the round with some extra charges.  He made it look like only charge 3 was packed and our ammunition personnel didn't spot the dodgy charges.  Now, the Glenmalure Lodge, 8 miles away across the Wicklow Mountains, to this day still can't explain exactly why on that very same day their windows cracked and their back door unhinged.  Apart from maybe Michael Dwyer's ghost fleeing the hills trying to get to safety in the Lodge they've still no explanation..."


"I can supply the name and details of that NCO for the princely sum of 2 nice pints of Guinness and a small Jamie whiskey...and what about this same NCO's buddy who was caught by the Orderly Officer under cover of darkness one night at Coolmoney Camp (Glen Imaal), half fluttered drunk up a tree at the Officer's Mess pointing his BAP (browning automatic pistol) at a large pheasant?  The pheasant survived and the NCO got away with a boot up the hole."

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance QF 25-pounder field guns, to be preserved as monuments.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance Quick-Firing 6-pounder 7 cwt anti-tank gun.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Brandt mle 27/31 (3.2-inch, 81-mm) mortar.  Designed by Edgar Brandt of France, this weapon is a refinement of the Stokes mortar.  The Brandt mortar was highly influential, being licensed built or copied by numerous countries.   It has a smoothbore metal tube fixed to a base plate (to absorb recoil), with a lightweight bipod mount.  The mle 27/31 could be disassembled into 3 loads, plus the ammunitions loads, and a complete crew was 10 men.  When a mortar bomb was dropped into the tube, an impact sensitive primer in the base of the bomb would make contact with a firing pin at the base of the tube, and detonate, firing the bomb towards the target.  HE and smoke mortar bombs fired by the weapon weighed 3.25 kilograms.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Light Guns, one outdoors, one inside the museum.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

French 75-mm Field Gun, aka Canon de 75 Modèle 1897.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

QF 3.7-inch Anti-Aircraft Gun.

 (Colin Stone Photo)

Ordnance QF 18-pounder Mk. IV field gun mounted on a Mk. V carriage.

Vintage Vehicles

The following vintage vehicles are on display in the museum.   The Sliabh na mBan Rolls Royce armoured car is now on display in the Curragh Military Museum. This car formed part of General Michael Collins convoy which was ambushed on the 22nd of August 1922 in which he was killed.  Comet Tank A34, Churchill Tank, Beaverette Mk IV Scout Car, Panhard APC M3.

Cork, Ireland

Camden, Fort Meagher, Cross Haven, Cork Harbour

 (Kieran Sheehan Photo)

Cast Iron possible 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, SOLID on the left trunnion, King George 2 cypher, 2, on the barrel, mounted on a wood gun carriage, Camden Fort Meagher, Cross Haven, Cork Harbour.

 (Artillery Club Ireland Photo)

Camden Fort Meagher, Cross Haven, Cork Harbour.  

Camden Fort Meagher is an example of a classical  Coast Defence Artillery installation.  For almost 400 years, Camden Fort Meagher, played a key role as a strong strategic position for the defence of Ireland, the west coast of England and Wales.  65% of the fort is located underground in a labyrinth of tunnels and chambers.  Camden Fort Meagher is a  Coast Defence Artillery fortification defending the mouth of Cork harbour together with Fort Mitchell (Spike Island), Fort Davis (Whitegate) and Fort Templebreedy.

  (Artillery Club Ireland image)

Map of Camden Fort Meagher, 1896.  Although constructed in the 16th century, the current fort dates from the 1860s.  The fort was one of only 8 installations worldwide to house the world’s first guided missile “The Brennan Torpedo”.  Originally named Fort Camden, it was handed over to the Defence Forces in 1938 along with other Treaty Ports, such as Fort Dunree.  Remamed Fort Meagher, it remained as a military installation until it was handed over to Cork County Council in 1989.  Extensive restoration work is continuing with financial and logistical support provided by Cork County Council and other stakeholders.  The renovation benefits from the support of Employment schemes from the Department of Social Protection and the commitment of over 45 dedicated volunteers and staff.  Currently, the fort contains a number of exhibition rooms such as: the Irish Story, the English Story, Ground Zero 360, Naval Exhibition, First World War Exhibition, Rescue Camden Story, and the Gunners Room.

The underground tunnels were used to access munitions storage areas and used for safe passage for the defending personnel.  Currently, 20% approx of the tunnels are accessible to the public.  The vaulted ceiling magazine, set deep underground, was used to store munitions and gunpowder.  The fort is a prime location to watch ships passing through Cork Harbour, the second largest natural harbour in the world.

Cork, Spike Island, Fort Mitchell, Ireland (preserved artillery in this location is listed on a separate page on this web site)

Cork, Haulbowline Island, Ireland (preserved artillery in this location is listed on a separate page on this web site)

Corofin, County Clare, O'Dea Castle

 (Bruce S Photo)

Cast Iron possible 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a wood stand, guarding O'Dea Castle

Devoy Barracks, Naas, County Kildare

The barracks, which were originally known as Naas Barracks, were built for local militia units in 1813.  They became the depot of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers when that regiment was formed in 1881.  The Royal Dublin Fusiliers were disbanded at the time of Irish Independence in 1922.  The barracks were secured by the forces of the Irish Free State in February 1922.  The barracks, which were renamed Devoy Barracks after John Devoy, an Irish republican, closed in 1928 and the site was subsequently used for a variety of industrial uses.  The Irish Army Apprentice School was established on the site in 1956 but closed in 1998 when the barracks were finally decommissioned.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Ordnance QF 25-pounder field gun.

Dublin (preserved artillery in this location is listed on a separate page on this web site)

Duncannon, County Wexford, Ireland

 (Colin Stone Photo)

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a naval gun carriage, No. 1 of 2.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun mounted on a naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 2.

 (Colin Stone Photos)

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun unmounted, No. 1 and No. 2 of 3.

(Colin Stone Photos)

Cast Iron 6-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun unmounted, No. 3 of 3.

Galway, Ireland

 (Kanchelskis Photo)

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, a Crimean War Trophy mounted on an iron garrison gun carriage, No. 1 of 2 in a downtown park.

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, a Crimean War Trophy mounted on an iron garrison gun carriage, No. 2 of 2 in a downtown park.

Additional guns preserved in Ireland can be found in Part 2 of this web page.