|Artillery and Armoured Fighting Vehicles preserved in New England 6: Connecticut
Artillery and Armoured Fighting Vehicles preserved in New England
One of the aims of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery and all armoured fighting vehicles preserved in New England. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these tangible pieces of our military history and the list you see here is constantly being revised as new finds are discovered and the data is updated. The photos have come from various contributors, but the author likes to "ground truth" the reports, so a good number of the photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author. It often happens that military monuments that are relatively mobile, have been moved for restoration or scrapped, sometimes they are repainted with different markings and serial numbers, or they are replaced with a different piece of kit. For those reasons, any additions, deletions, corrections or amendments that you may be able to add to this list of Artillery and AFVs in New England would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com. The primary aim is preserve our military history and to keep the record accurate.
Data current to 28 May 2017.
RML 4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, 1861, No. 1 of 4 mounted at the base of the Soldier's Monument (mounted upside down), Pine Grove Cemetery. (David Pelland Photos)
RML 4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, 1861, No. 2 of 4 mounted at the base of the Soldier's Monument, Pine Grove Cemetery.
RML 4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, 1861, No. 3 of 4 mounted at the base of the Soldier's Monument, Pine Grove Cemetery, Pine Grove Cemetery.
RML 4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, 1861, No. 4 of 4 mounted at the base of the Soldier's Monument, Pine Grove Cemetery.
QF 4.7-inch Mk. IV Armstrong Gun, Serial No. 11856 on a Central Pivot Mount Mk. 1, Serial No. 10842 was emplaced at Battery Drum, Fort Strong, Massachusetts. This gun is currently on display at the State Armory, Main Street, Ansonia, Connecticut. It may be similar to this one found at Fort Peninsula at Forillon National Park in Quebec. (Author Photo)
US 57-mm (6-pounder) AT Gun, Bantam Borough Hall. (David K. Leff Photo)
US M5 3-inch Anti-Tank Gun, American Legion Post. (Dave Pelland Photos)
US Army Machine Gun Team from Company 1, 2nd Brigade, Machine Gun Battalion, 1st Division, operating an Mle 1914 Hotchkiss Machine Gun on the range near Froissy, Oise, France, 10 May 1918. (Army Heritage and Education Center Photo)
Mle 1914 Hotchkiss machine-guns (two) mounted on tripod stands flank the war memorial. The American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) in France purchased 7,000 Mle 1914 Hotchkiss machine guns in 8-mm Lebel, and used them extensively at the front in 1917 and 1918. (Dave Pelland Photo)
M114 Command and Reconnaissance Carrier on public display at the Battery A, Connecticut National Guard Armory, 87 Montowese St. (Waymarking, GA Caher Photos 1 & 2)
QF 6 pounder Hotchkiss Mark I, U.S. Navy, similar to the one in the Photo. (MKGI Photo)
Spanish Bronze smoothbore muzzle-loading 18-pounder Gun, mounted on an iron stand facing the water at Seaside Park. (David Pelland Photos)
This gun was captured from a Spanish warship has been mounted in Bridgeport’s Seaside Park to honour the service of local residents during the Spanish-American War. The bronze gun faces southeast into Long Island Sound. It was cast in Seville, Spain on 13 December 1794, according to a date inscribed near the cannon’s neck.
Captured German First World War 10-cm Kanone 04 (10-cm K 04) Field Gun, being examined by Sir Edward Kemp, following the advance East of Arras, France, 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3397930)
German First World War 10-cm Kanone 04 (10-cm K 04) Field Gun, WWI Memorial. It was the second heavy gun with modern recoil system accepted by the German Army. Although the standard version lacked a gunshield, some models, such as the 10 cm K 04/12, were fitted with a special gunshield and some other minor modifications. There was only 32 in service at the outbreak of the war. It could be transported in one load by a team of six horses, or it could be broken down into 2 loads (tandem hitches) for crossing rough terrain. (Dave Pelland Photo)
M41A3 Walker Bulldog Tank (Serial No. 1964, RN 30183222, VFW Post 6851, S Canaan Rd (US 7). Similar to this one preserved in the 1st Cavalry Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
4.7-inch Gun M1906 Field Gun, Canton Veterans Memorial. (Town of Canton Photo 1, Dan R Photo 2)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 6-pounder (TBC) mounted on a wood naval gun carriage near the Civil War memorial. (Dave Pelland Photo 1, Johnna Kaplan Photo 2, YoSam, Waymarking Photo 3)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 12-pounder Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring mounted on a wood stand, next to the beach on Waterside Lane. (Casey Bell Photo)
This gun was used in the war of 1776, and was taken by John Paul Jones from an English privateer in the English Channel, and sold to an English merchantman, who put it on board his brig and sailed for this country. The brig was wrecked on Saybrook Bar, and the wreckage was sold to the lighthouse keeper, Mr. Crane who in turn sold it to Captain James Farnham of Waterside Lane, Clinton (Killingworth). The gun was later used by residents of Clinton, (Killingworth) in repelling this attack of the British frigate in 1812. It was mounted on the Green at the foot of Waterside lane and shot so successfully as to cause the British to withdraw from the Harbor after firing a few shots ashore and into town.
4.7-inch Gun M1906 Field Gun, cast at the Watervliet Armory, New York, on display by the town war memorial. (David K. Leff Photo)
24-pounder Model 1839 Siege Gun, RLB No. 4 on the muzzle. This gun may have been rebored as 48-pdr James rifle. The gun stands on a granite base with a bronze eagle on its south face and wreaths on the east and west faces. The monument’s base has six pyramids of concrete cannonballs. The gun and monument are located at the intersection of Cornwall Hollow Road (Route 43) and Hautboy Hill Road. (David Pelland Photos)
30-pounder Parrott Rifle mounted on a granite base. (David Pelland Photos)
The Coventry Parrott Rifle was forged in 1862 at the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York. A dedication on the east face of the monument’s base reads, “Veterans, 1861-1865.” Next to the cannon is a triangular metal bracket that once held a pyramid of shells for the cannon. The fate of the shells is not recorded, but many Civil War cannonballs and shells were removed from monuments during World War II and donated to scrap metal drives.
Model 1893 Breech-loading Gun (Serial No. 15), 1896, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois, mounted on a wheeled gun carriage, Veteran's Memorial Green. (Dave Pelland Photos)
Danbury, Military Museum of Southern New England
The U.S. Military Museum opened in 1995 as a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of American military history. The original intent of the museum was to maintain the memory of American Tank Destroyer units of the Second World War. Over the museum's 20 year history, thanks to generous donations and the hard work of many unpaid volunteers, the museum's collection has expanded to over 10,000 artifacts, covering all of the armed forces of the United States. The museum currently displays a wide cross-section of weapons and materials pertaining to 20th century American military history. Many of the museum's vehicles are extremely rare, and a few may be the only examples preserved in the Western Hemisphere. The museum staff is composed primarily of unpaid volunteers who are responsible for designing and installing exhibits, running the gift shop, and participating in public events.
The Exhibits include the following tanks, armoured fighting vehicles and artillery:
M3A1 37-mm Anti Tank Gun. Similar to this one in the National Museum of WWII, New Orleans, Louisiana. (Author Photo)
M1 57-mm AT Gun firing at a German bunker near Saint-Malo, Brittany in France, 31 July 1944. (US Army Photo)
M1 57-mm Anti Tank Gun (6-pounder). Similar to this one on display at the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
M5 3-inch Anti Tank Gun. Similar to this one with the Louisiana National Guard Museum, New Orleans, Lousiana. (Author Photo)
M116 Husky Tracked Amphibious Cargo Carrier. (US Army Photo)
M-792 Gamma Goat Ambulance. Similar to this one on display at the 1st Armored Cavalry Division Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
Soviet BA-64 Light Armoured Car, similar to this BA-64B on display at Nizhniy Novgorod Kremlin, Russia. The BA-64 on exhibit was captured in Korea by the soldiers of the 24th Infantry Division and returned to the United States for evaluation. (S. Filatov Photo)
German Spahpanzer Luchs (Lynx). Similar to this one photographed by the author while serving with SFOR in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina in 1997.
German Schutzenpanzer 12-3 APC. Similar to this one in the Bundeswehr Museum, Germany. (Huhu Photo)
M42A1 Motor Gun Carriage, Duster, twin Bofors 40-mm cannon. Similar to this one on display at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas. (Author Photo)
M551 Sheridan Light Tank. Similar to this one on display at the Oshawa Military Museum, Ontario. (Author Photo)
Swedish Panzarbandvagn 302 Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC). (Jorchr Photo)
5-inch 54-calibre Anti-Aircraft Gun, similar to this 127-mm/54 Mark 16 gun aboard the USN aircraft carrier USS Midway (CVA-41). The museum's 5"/54 doesn’t have the variable protective shield housing, so all of its features can be seen. (USN Photo)
Centurion Mk. 5 Main Battle Tank (MBT), manufactured in the late 1950s and donated by the Swiss government after being deactivated in May 1993. It is similar to this one on display at the New Brunswick Military History Museum, 5 Canadian Division Support Group Base Gagetown, New Brunswick. (Author Photo)
M108 105-mm Self Propelled Howitzer. Similar to this one with the Texas Military Forces Museum, Camp Mabry, Texas. (Author Photo)
M22 Locust Light Tank. Similar to this one on display in the Bovington Tank Museum, England. (Max Smith Photo)
M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer. Similar to this one on display at the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
M36 Tank Destroyer. Similar to this M36B1 on display at the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
M47 Patton Medium Tank with 90-mm gun. Similar to this one on display at the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
M48A1 Medium Tank with 90-mm gun. Similar to this one on display at the 3rd Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
M60A1 Medium Tank. Similar to this one on display at the 1st Armored Cavalry Division Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
MBT-70 tank at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. (Raymond Douglas Veydt Photo)
MBT-70 at the Military Museum of Southern New England in Danbury, Connecticut. (Zukkor Photo)
Russian T-72 Main Battle Tank, 120-mm main gun. The T-72 is a Soviet second-generation main battle tank that entered production in 1971. About 20,000 T-72 tanks were built, making it one of the most widely produced post-Second World War tanks, second only to the T-54/55 family. The T-72 was widely exported and saw service in 40 countries and in numerous conflicts. Improved variants are still being built for export customers. Similar to this one with the New Brunswick Military History Museum, 5 Canadian Division Support Group Base Gagetown, New Brunswick. (Author Photo)
M2A1 Half-track on maneuvers at Fort Benning, Georgia, 1942. The M2 had a shorter hull compared to the M3 Half-tracks (left and background) and was equipped with hinged doors for ammunition compartments in the side armour. (US Army Photo)
M20 Light Armoured Scout Car. Similar to this one on display at the National Guard Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Author Photo)
The M20 was an M8 Greyhound with the turret replaced with a low, armored open-topped superstructure and an anti-aircraft ring mount for a .50-in M2 heavy machine gun. A bazooka was provided for the crew to compensate for its lack of anti-armour weaponry. The M20 was primarily used as a command vehicle and for forward reconnaissance, but many vehicles also served as armoured personnel carriers and cargo carriers. It offered high speed and excellent mobility, along with a degree of protection against small arms fire and shrapnel. When employed in the command and control role, the M20 was fitted with additional radio equipment.
IS-2 Joseph Stalin D25-T 122-mm Main Gun, similar to this one in the Kubinka Tank Museum, Russia. (Saiga20 K Photo)
M110A1 8-inch Self Propelled Howitzer. Similar to this one with the Texas Military Forces Museum, Camp Mabry, Texas. (Author Photo)
M578 Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARV). Similar to this one with the Texas Military Forces Museum, Camp Mabry, Texas. (Author Photo)
M40A1 106-mm Recoilless Rifle. Similar to this one held in the New Brunswick Military History Museum, 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick. (Author Photo)
Chinese Type 65 twin 37-mm Anti-Aircraft Gun, on a wheeled M1939 (61-K) gun mount. This piece was captured by the 1st Marine Division during Desert Storm in 1991, when Kuwait was being liberated. Similar this one with the Muzeyon Heyl ha-Avir, Hatzerim, Israel. (Bukvoed Photo)
BMP-1 Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Similar to this one on display at the 3rd Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
French Hotchkiss SP lA Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle. Similar to this one in the Dresden Tank Museum, Germany. (Bundeswehrmuseum Dresden Photo)
French Hotchkiss SPZ Observation Vehicle. Similar to this one in the Dresden Tank Museum, Germany. (Bundeswehrmuseum Dresden Photo)
German Schutzenpanzer 42-1 Cargo Carrier.
German SPZ Schutzen Panzer Mortar Carrier. Similar to this one in the Dresden Tank Museum, Germany. (Huhu Photo)
Test Reconnaissance Vehicle with twin rocket launchers mounted on an experimental turret.
M-52 5-ton 6 X 6 Tractor Truck.
Model M-656 Cargo Truck. (USN Photo)
Corbitt 50 SD6 5-ton truck.
M886 Dodge Ambulance.
Clarktor 6 Airport tug.
M-274 Mule. Similar to this M274 Mechanical Mule with a M40 recoilless rifle at the American Armoured Foundation Museum. (Ryan Crierie Photo)
M39 APC. Similar to this US Army M39 assisting the USMC in Korea, 25 July 1953. (US Army Photo)
British FV 603 Saracen APC. Similar to this one in the Yad la-Shiryon Museum, Israel. (Bukvoed Photo)
M101A1 Howitzer 105-mm. (USMC Photo)
M114 155-mm Howitzer. Similar to this one on display in Minto, New Brunswick. (Author Photo)
US Mk. 12 5"/38 caliber Anti Aircraft Gun. Similar to this one at Flagler Park, Okeechobee, Florida. (Ebyabe Photo)
4.2-inch 30-pounder Army Parrot Rifle, Davis Park. (Dave Pelland Photo)
German First World War 15-cm sFH 13 Field Gun, captured by Canadians, Farbus Village, France, April 1971. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3521832)
German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 16 (15 cm sFH 13), Heavy Field Gun, Veterans Memorial Building, 1 Atwater Avenue. (David Pelland Photo)
30-pounder Parrot Rifles, Serial Nos. 32, 34, 35 and 40, weight 4,200 lbs, 1861, unmounted, on the town common. (Metals - Conserve Art Photo)
30-pounder Parrot Rifle, No. 32, 1861, weight 4,200 lbs, 1861, unmounted, on the town common. (Metals - Conserve Art Photos)
30-pounder Parrot Rifles, 1861, weight 4,200 lbs, 1861, unmounted, on the town common. (Dave Pelland Photos)
10-inch Rodman Gun, (Columbiad, 10-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1861), weight 14,980-lbs, mounted on an iron gun carriage on a concrete monument honoring Civil War and American Revolution veterans, one of several war memorials on the East Haven green. (Dave Pelland Photos 1-3, Dep369 Photo 4)
East Haven, Fort Nathan Hale, Black Rock Fort
Fort Nathan Hale, also known as Fort Hale Park, Black Rock, is a 20-acre (8.1 ha) city park located on the east shore of New Haven Harbor. It includes the site of a 1659 fort, a Revolutionary War-era fort, and a Civil War-era fort. The fort was named after Nathan Hale, Connecticut's official hero. Since 1921, the site has been owned by the state of Connecticut. It has been used as a park and maintained as a historical site by the City of New Haven.
In early 1776, the colony of Connecticut commissioned the construction of a fort on a point of rock that stretched out into the harbor to protect the port of New Haven from the British. This was the location of an earlier unnamed fort from circa 1657, and on this site was erected Black Rock Fort. Unfortunately for the colonists, in 1779 British General William Tryon, during his raid of Connecticut coastal communities, captured Black Rock Fort along with its nineteen defenders after they had run out of ammunition. The British burned the barracks as they left. In 1807, the abandoned fort was reconstructed as Fort Nathan Hale, and it served to defend the port from the British once again during the War of 1812. In 1863, Fort Nathan Hale II was built alongside the original fort, out of concern that Southern raiders might strike the city during the Civil War, but the fort saw no battle action. This fort contained deep, earthen, bomb-proof bunkers. (Wikipedia)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 6-pounder Gun, weight 12-3-4 (1,432 lbs), British broad arrow, ca 1700s, mounted on a wooden gun carriage. Black Rock Fort near Fort Hale Park. (Dave Pelland Photo)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 4-pounder Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, from the War of 1812. This gun is displayed at the 1639 Henry Whitfield House and Museum was donated in 1908. (Connecticut Office of Tourism Photo)
M114 155-mm Howitzer. (Jerry Dougherty Photo)
Groton, Fort Griswold
Fort Griswold is a former military base named after then Deputy Governor Matthew Griswold. The fort played a key role in the early stages of the American Revolutionary War. In tandem with Fort Trumbull on the opposite side of the harbor, Griswold served to defend the port of New London, a supply center for the new Continental Army and a friendly port for Connecticut-sanctioned privateers who preyed on British ships.
In September 1781, British troops under Benedict Arnold raided and burned New London in the Battle of Groton Heights with the objective of ending the harassment at sea. Fort Griswold had a key strategic position above the Thames River, but the British knew the fort's inner workings thanks to the Arnold, who gave numerous secrets of American defenses to the British forces he commanded. Arnold, knowing Griswold's layout and precise position, approached the harbor from such an angle that Griswold's gun positions could never draw an effective shot on the British fleet. Arnold's troops eventually made landfall, and the fort's garrison fought back. Artillery barrages and musket fire brought (relatively) heavy casualties to each side, the fighting continuing even past commands to stop. The British eventually captured the fort and tried to destroy it, though the plan was foiled as a patriot put out the British fire before it could reach Griswold's gunpowder stores.
The fort would be rebuilt and manned in several other conflicts, but the Battle of Groton Heights was its most prominent use. It was used during the War of 1812 by United States Navy sailors commanded by Commodore Stephen Decatur when Decatur's squadron was blockaded by a superior British force in 1814.
After the American Civil War the lower battery of the fort was redesigned to mount 10-inch Rodman Guns, (Columbiad, 10-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1861). It was a sub-post of Fort Trumbull for most of its use as a fort by the U.S. Army. It was never actively garrisoned after the Civil War and was under the care of an ordnance sergeant. From 1863 to 1879 Fort Griswold was in the care of Ordnance Sergeant Mark Wentworth Smith, a Mexican War veteran. After the Spanish–American War, Fort Griswold became obsolete when Fort H.G. Wright was established on Fishers Island in Long Island Sound. (Wikipedia)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 32-pounder Gun, Model 1829, No. 1 of 2. (David Pelland Photo)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 32-pounder Gun, Model 1829, No. 2 of 2. (Fort Griswold Photo)
5.7-inch gun from the Spanish flagship "Infanta Maria Teresa", which took part in the Battle of Santiago, Cuba, ca. 1890’s. ((Ian Oliver Martin Photos 1 & 2, Chasing Blue Sky, Waymarking Photos 3 & 4)
The Groton Monument was built between 1826 and 1830, and is the oldest monument of its type in the country. Built of granite quarried locally, the Monument stands 135 feet tall with 166 steps. There is a marble memorial plaque with the names of the defenders who fell during the Battle of Groton Heights on September 6, 1781. The Spanish-American War Cannon in front of the Groton monument was taken off the Spanish flagship, the Marie-Teresa. The cannon fired upon American ships as the Marie-Teresa tried to steam out of Cuba’s Santiago Harbor during the Spanish-American War.
Groton, Naval Submarine Base New London
USS Narwhal (SS-167), with a pair of 6-inch rifled deck guns, ca 1940. (USN Photos)
6-inch rifle ca. 1920’s from U.S.S. Narwhal (SS-167), formerly V-5, outside Gilmore Hall, No. 1 of 2. These were the largest guns ever mounted on an American submarine. They were on board the Narwhal when she was berthed at Pearl Harbor during the attack on 7 December 1941. (Blaise Mayers Photos 1 & 2)
6-inch rifle ca. 1920’s from U.S.S. Narwhal (SS-167), formerly V-5, at Morton Hall, No. 2 of 2. (David Johnstone Photo)
5-inch, 25-caliber submarine deck gun, located near the Dealy Center. (TripAdvisor Photo)
5-inch, 25-caliber submarine deck gun, located near the Navy hospital.
100-pounder Parrott rifle (Parrott, 6.4-inch, rifle, seacoast, Model 1861), weight 9,672-lbs, manufactured in 1863, dedicated in 1902 to honour veterans buried in a section near the gun. (David Pelland Photos)
The gun points southeast, and has been mounted on a stone platform inscribed with the initials G-A-R to honour the Grand Army of the Republic, the Civil War veterans’ organization. A plaque on the southwest face bears the dedication “To the memory of those who fought for the preservation of the Union 1861-1865”
13-inch Seacoast Mortar M1861. (Library of Congress Photos)
13-inch Seacoast Mortar, Model 1861, weight 17,196-lbs, Reg. No. 97, Fdy No. 900, 1862, mounted on a stone memorial, nick-named “The Petersburg Express" and "The Dictator”. (Dave Pelland Photos)
This mortar was used by the First Connecticut Heavy Artillery (Civil War) during the campaign at Petersburg, Virginia (1864-1865). The First Connecticut Heavy Artillery, originally the Fourth Connecticut Infantry, was the first volunteer organization that was mustered for three years into the service of the United States (May 22, 1861-September 25, 1865). The mortar stands on a stone monument with three cannon balls in the front and another three in the back. It honours Connecticut's first volunteers of the Civil War. Three inscriptions fastened onto the stone base read: "1st Conn. Heavy Artillery Originally 4th Conn. Infantry Mustered in May 22, 1861. Mustered out Sept. 25 1865. Total enrollment officers and men 3802"; and, "Erected by the survivors and friends of the regiment and the veteran and active companies Hartford City Guard to the first volunteer organization that was mustered for three years into the service of the United States in the War of 1861-1866."; and, "This 13-inch sea coast mortar was in actual use by the regiment during the campaign in front of Petersburg 1864-65 and widely known as the Petersburg Express". It is located on the Hartford-State Capitol Grounds, part of the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery Monument.
Although the monument was authorized in 1895 the mortar was not placed here until 1902. The monument was dedicated on September 25th of that year. At the time of donation this mortar was at Fort Monroe, VA. A newspaper article from 13 Nov 1902 states that this mortar is the gun known as the “Petersburg Express”. Another article from the National Tribune of 25 Dec 1902 confirms this and states that the mortar was identified at Fort Monroe by a former crew member by a broken bolt and registration number. It was mounted on a rail car at Petersburg. This gun was long thought to be the “Dictator” used at the siege of Petersburg, VA. Based on the recorded weight of 17,186 lbs for the “Dictator” this has proven not to be the case.
Quick Firing (QF) Hotchkiss 3-pounder 47-mm Revolving Cannon, 1879, mounted on a wheeled carriage. (Jack Photo 1, James Photo 2, Perries Photo 3)
This weapon is an early hand-cranked machine gun which could fire exploding shells. It had a Gatling-type revolving barrel machine gun with five barrels, invented in 1872 by Benjamin B. Hotchkiss s(1826–1885), founder of Hotchkiss et Cie. It was a built-up, rifled, rapid-fire gun of oil-tempered steel, having a rectangular breechblock which moved in a mortise cut completely through the jacket. It was designed to be light enough to travel with cavalry, and had an effective range beyond that of rifled small-arms.
The Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon on display inside the Capitol building iwas captured from the wreck of the Spanish armored cruiser Vizcaya after the Battle of Santiago Bay in 1898. The gun was sent back to the States by a Connecticut naval captain, and it was mounted on a Gattling mount for display. Is it missing a few pieces, but is in good shape (having been refurbished by the Colt factory in 1898). It stands in the Hall of Flags.
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 6-pounder Gun mounted on a concrete stand, Memorial Green. (Dave Pelland Photos)
8-inch Rodman Gun (Columbiad, 8-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1844), weight 9,240-lbs, mounted on a concrete stand beside the Civil War memorial in the Town Square. (David Pelland Photo)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading Mortar, mounted in front of the American Legion post.
Bronze smoothbore muzzle-loading Model 1857 Light 12 Pounder Gun Howitzer "Napoleon", Confederate Army, No. 1 of 4. Soldier's Monument in the Town Square. (Metals - Conserve Art Photo)
Bronze smoothbore muzzle-loading Model 1857 Light 12 Pounder Gun Howitzer "Napoleon", Confederate Army, No. 2 of 4. Town Square. Dave Pelland Photo)
Bronze smoothbore muzzle-loading Model 1857 Light 12 Pounder Gun Howitzer "Napoleon", Confederate Army, No. 3 of 4. Town Square.
Bronze smoothbore muzzle-loading Model 1857 Light 12 Pounder Gun Howitzer "Napoleon", Confederate Army, No. 4 of 4. Town Square.
8-inch Siege and Garrison Mortar, No. 1 of 2. Veterans Memorial Hall. (Dave Pelland Photo)
8-inch Siege and Garrison Mortar, No. 2 of 2. Veterans Memorial Hall.
Civil War Gun mounted on a wheeled carriage in front of the Taylor building. (Town of Milford Photo)
M60A3 Main Battle Tank (Serial No. 3801A), RN 09A08171, Moosup Park, 121 Main St. (Jerry Dougherty Photo)
4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, 1st Connecticut Artillery, Civil War era. (Library of Congress Photo)
RML 4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, mounted on a concrete stand at the Denison Burial Ground on Route 1. (Jean B. Evans Photo 1, Ad Meskens Photo 2)
Bronze RML 6-pounder James Rifle, dated 1864 (TBC), No. 1 of 2.
Bronze RML 6-pounder James Rifle, dated 1864 (TBC), No. 2 of 2.
The James Rifle is a generic term to describe any artillery gun rifled to the James pattern for use in the American Civil War. Charles T. James developed a rifled projectile and rifling system. Early in the war there were many 6-pounder bronze guns in service with the field artillery and few rifled pieces available. A number of these guns were rifled to fire the 3.67" caliber James projectile. These are classified as "rifled 6-pounder guns" or alternately as 12-pounder James rifles. James worked with Ames Manufacturing Company, Chicopee, Massachusetts to produce 3.80" bore rifled cannon in at least six known variants. Collectively these are referred to as 14-pounder James rifles. The initial type was reaming of existing 6-pounder Model 1841 guns to 3.80", then rifling. This eliminated any deviations from tube wear--a common problem with bronze cannon that had already seen service. The other five types were new pieces all using the smooth curves of the Ordnance profile. The first five variants were bronze, while the final type was iron.
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 1 of 3 in a small park near the harbour. (Sara Photo)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 2 of 3 in a small park near the harbour.
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, No. 3 of 3 in a small park near the harbour.
Bronze Dahlgren 12-pounder light boat howitzer, No. 1 of 4. 6th Street and Howard. (Dave Pelland Photo)
Bronze Dahlgren 12-pounder light boat howitzer, No. 2 of 4. 6th Street and Howard.
Bronze Dahlgren 12-pounder light boat howitzer, No. 3 of 4. 6th Street and Howard.
Bronze Dahlgren 12-pounder light boat howitzer, No. 4 of 4. 6th Street and Howard.
New London, Fort Trumbull
Fort Trumbull is currently a state park. (Michael Hotaling Photo)
In 1775 Governor Jonathan Trumbull recommended the building of a fortification at the port of New London to protect the seat of the government of Connecticut. Built on a rocky point of land near the mouth of the Thames River on Long Island Sound, the fort was completed in 1777 and named for Governor Trumbull, who served from 1769 to 1784. On 6 September 1781 during the American Revolutionary War, the fort was attacked and captured by British forces under the command of Benedict Arnold, then serving as a brigadier general in the British Army, led a raid on Groton and New London, Connecticut. Two bodies of troops were landed on either side of the mouth of the Thames River and marched towards Fort Trumbull and Fort Griswold in Groton. Fort Trumbull fell after little resistance but about 150 Connecticut militiamen made a gallant stand at Fort Griswold. The British were able to enter the fort and the militia commander, Lieutenant Colonel William Ledyard, offered Major Bromfield, the British commander on the scene, his sword as a token of surrender. According to contemporary accounts, the Bromfield then killed Ledyard with his own sword and the British proceeded to massacre the surviving defenders. Eighty five of the militiamen were killed and the others were either severely wounded, taken prisoner or managed to escape. After the capture of both forts, the British proceed to burn New London and Groton and returned to their ships.
Under the second systems of US fortification, ca 1809, the fort was redesigned and rebuilt to meet changing military needs. First a redoubt was built at the site to react to threat of British attack. Secretary of War Henry Dearborn's report on fortifications for December 1811 describes the fort as "an irregular enclosed work of masonry and sod, mounting 18 heavy guns [with] a brick barracks for one company...". The present fortification replaced the older fort, and was built between 1839 and 1852 as a five-sided, four-bastion coastal defense fort. The new fort could accommodate 42 guns, plus 10 additional guns in two flanking batteries outside the fort. The new fort was built under the supervision of Army engineer George Washington Cullum, who later served as superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York.
During the American Civil War, Fort Trumbull served as an organizational center for Union troops and headquarters for the 14th US Infantry Regiment. Here, troops were recruited and trained before being sent to war. Fort Trumbull was briefly commanded by John F. Reynolds who rose to rank of major general and was killed at the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863.
After the Civil War Fort Trumbull was improved by having more modern artillery pieces installed. In the early 1900s several more modern Endicott era fortifications were built to defend Long Island Sound. Fort Trumbull served as the headquarters of these forts until it was given to the Revenue Cutter Service (later renamed the Coast Guard) in 1910 for use as the Revenue Cutter Academy which was renamed the United States Coast Guard Academy in 1915. The Coast Guard Academy moved to its current location in New London in 1932. Fort Trumbull served as the Merchant Marine Officers Training School from 1939–1946 and trained most of the Merchant Marine officers who served during the Second World War. During that war, Fort Trumbull hosted an office of Columbia University's Division of War Research, which developed passive sonar systems. (Wikipedia)
8-inch Rodman Gun (Columbiad, 8-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1844), weight 9,240-lbs, converted rifle mounted on an iron gun carriage, No. 1 of 2. (Roddy Pfeifer Photo)
8-inch Rodman Gun (Columbiad, 8-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1844), weight 9,240-lbs, converted rifle mounted on an iron gun carriage, No. 2 of 2. (Roddy Pfeifer Photo)
Dahlgren 12-Pounder light boat howitzer, Serial No. 176, made at the US Navy Yard Washington. This gun is located on the corner of Garfield Avenue and Williams Street.
New London, U.S. Coast Guard Academy
4-inch 20-pounder Dahlgren Boat Howitzer.
24-pounder Dahlgren Boat Howitzer.
37-mm 5-barrelled Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon mounted on a USN warship. (HyperWar Foundation Photos)
37-mm 5-barrelled Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon, No. 1 of 4.
37-mm 5-barrelled Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon, No. 2 of 4.
37-mm 5-barrelled Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon, No. 3 of 4.
37-mm 5-barrelled Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon, No. 4 of 4.
3-pounder saluting gun Model 1904, No. 1 of 2. (USCG Photo)
3-pounder saluting gun Model 1904, No. 1 of 2.
M3A1 Stuart Light Tank (Serial No. 10130), New Milford Second World War Memorial, Town Green, in place since 1948. (David Pelland Photos 1-3, city-data Photo 4)
Civil War Gun, New Preston Military Cemetery. (Dave Pelland Photos)
10-inch Rodman Gun, (Columbiad, 10-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1861), weight 14,980-lbs, 1867, mounted on an iron gun carriage on a stone based monument honoring Civil War veterans. (David Pelland Photos)
A dedication on the base’s front (west) face reads, “Erected by the town of North Haven as a tribute to the valor of her sons who on land and sea fought in the Civil War to preserve the Union.” The east face lists the monument’s 1905 dedication date and honors the battles of Cedar Mountain, Fort Wagner, Fredericksburg, Fort Gregg, and Petersburg (all in Virginia). The gun and monument is on the green across from its 1886 Memorial Town Hall. This cannon was manufactured in 1867 at the Fort Pitt Foundry in Pittsburgh, and was one of four installed at Lighthouse Point in New Haven. Another Lighthouse Point cannon stands as a Civil War monument on the East Haven green. Another that stood near Milford’s Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument was lost to a Second World War scrap drive, and the fate of the fourth cannon is unknown.
The Germans used this captured French de Bange 155-mm long cannon mle. 1877 (155 L de Bange) field gun. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3397890), and another being examined by Canadians, Amiens, France, Aug 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 35222222)
French de Bange 155-mm long cannon mle. 1877 (155 L de Bange) field gun, mounted on top of the First World War monument on the city’s green. (David Pelland Photos)
This gun had been captured by German forces in the First World War and recaptured by the French. It was presented as a gift to the city of Norwalk in 1921. The gun stood atop the monument until the monument was moved in 1949 from Belden Avenue to its present home at the intersection of East Avenue and Park Street. At that time, the cannon was shifted to a former VFW building, until it was restored and replaced on the original monument. The monument has eight bronze plaques bearing the monument’s dedication as well the names of local residents who fought and died in the First World War.
French de Bange 155-mm long cannon mle. 1877 (155 L de Bange) field gun, obsolete by the beginning of the First World War, the 155 L was nonetheless pressed into service and became the main counter-battery piece of the French army in the first two years of the war.
Bronze 6-pounder gun mounted on a wheeled carriage in front of the Buckingham Memorial, Sedgwich Post No. 1, Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). (The Distracted Wanderer Photo 1, Connecticut Diaries Photo 2)
4.2 inch, 30-pounder Parrott Rifle, Civil War Gun marked 4235 ATo. 149, 1862, WPH, AM 42 on the muzzle, mounted on an iron gun stand, Andersonville Memorial, Yantich Cemetery. (Dave Pelland Photos)
German First World War 15-cm sFH 02 Howitzer, captured at Amiens, France, Aug 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3397887)
German First World War 15-cm sFH 02 Howitzer, originally on display on the Chelsea Parade Green, now in Mohegan Park. (Dale Plummer Photo)
M5A1 Stuart Light Tank, Plainfield Veterans Park. (Johnna Kaplan Photo)
Civil War Gun, mounted on a concrete stand, Veteran's Memorial Park. (Dave Pelland Photo)
Civil War Gun, Dorence Atwater Monument. (Town of Plymouth Photo)
Civil War Gun No. 1 of 2, TTSL, No. 110, PICo, 1861, weight 811 lbs on the muzzle, mounted on a concrete stand on a triangular green at the intersection of Main Street (Route 17) and Bartlett Street. (Dave Pelland Photos)
Civil War Gun No. 2 of 2, standing on a triangular green at the intersection of Main Street (Route 17) and Bartlett Street.
Civil War Mortar, No. 1 of 2, Civil War Memorial, Jewett City Road, Route 165. (Dave Pelland Photo)
Civil War Mortar, No. 2 of 2, Civil War Memorial, Jewett City Road, Route 165.
100-pounder Parrott rifle (Parrott, 6.4-inch, rifle, seacoast, Model 1861), weight 9,672-lbs, dedicated in 1901 to honor local Civil War veterans. A dedication engraved on the front (north) face of the monument’s base reads, “Memorial gun. Reminding us of the heroic deeds of our soldiers and sailors of the Republic in the War of the Rebellion for the preservation of the Union. Erected 1901. This gun came from the USS Tallapoosa.” (David Pelland Photos)
US 155-mm Howitzer, M114A2 carriage Serial No. 5499, dated 1956, SJS. Located near the town center. (CraiginCT Photos)
57-mm Anti-tank Gun M1, Stafford Wall of Honor. (David Pelland Photo)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 32-pounder Rodman gun mounted on a concrete memorial in Stafford Springs Cemetery on Monson Road (Route 32). (Dave Pelland Photos)
This 32-pounder Rodman Gun was dedicated in 1897, and bears an inscription on its south (left) face reading, “A tribute to the patriotism of the men who went to the defence of the country from Stafford in the War of the Rebellion. The present bequeaths to the future the remembrance of the heroic past.” The west face has an inscription reading, “Veterans 1861-1865.” The north face bears an inscription reading, “Erected by Winter Post No. 44, G.A.R., assisted by the Woman Relief Corps, and the Sons of Veterans in honor of their comrades. Dedicated 30 May 1897.”
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 18-pounder Gun, 35 cwt, No. 1 of 2, flanking an historical marker in the center of Cannon Square. (David Pelland Photos 1-4, Waymarking Photo 5)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 18-pounder Gun, 35 cwt, No. 2 of 2, cast in Salisbury, Connecticut, flanking an historical marker in the center of Cannon Square. (Coastal Connecticut Life Photo 1, Friends of Fort Washington Photo 2)
The 1830 obelisk, topped with a naval shell, stands in the borough of Stonington’s Cannon Square. An inscription on the monument’s north face reads, “These two guns of 18 pounds caliber were heroically used to repel the attack on Stonington of the English naval vessels Ramilies, 74 guns, Pactolus, 44, Dispatch, 20, Nimrod, 20 and the bomb ship Terror, 10 August 1814.”
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading possibly 24-pounder Gun, mounted on a concrete stand behind the Civil War Memorial. (Dave Pelland Photo)
(Mercury Press Photo)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading possibly 24-pounder gun mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, heavily corroded.
(John Banks Photos)
10-inch Rodman Gun, (Columbiad, 10-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1861), weight 14,980-lbs, No. 631 FPF, PA149 (TBC), 9987 on the muzzle, mounted on a concrete stand.
Civil War Gun mounted on a wheeled gun carriage beside the Civil War memorial. (Dave Pellman Photo)
German First World War 7.7cm Infanteriegeschütze L/27 (Infantry Gun L/27), beside the Civil War memorial. (Dave Pellman Photo)
155-mm M114 Howitzer, Coe Memorial Park. (Dave Pelland Photo)
M114 155-mm Howitzer, Beach Memorial Park. A 1994 plaque on the howitzer expresses a wish that someday all weapons of war will have their breaches and barrels welded shut. (David Pelland Photos)
3.67-in (20-lb) Naval Parrott Gun mounted on a concrete Civil War Memorial stand with plaque and cannon balls in front. (Dave Pelland Photos)
Civil War Gun. (Dave Pelland Photo)
M42A1 Duster (Serial No. 2226), American Legion Post 73. Similar to this M42A2 Duster on display at the Louisiana National guard Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana. (Author Photo)
57-mm Anti-tank Gun M1A1, Waterbury War Memorial. (George Lynch Photo 1, 733rd Field Battalion Photo 2)
German First World War 21-cm Morser. (Waymarking Photo)
German First World War 7.7-cm FK 16 Field Gun. (Raechel Guest Photo)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 24-pounder gun mounted side by side with a 2nd gun on a concrete memorial, No. 1 of 2. Markings corroded, donated by the U.S. government. (Dave Pelland Photos)
Cast-iron smoothbore muzzle-loading 24-pounder gun mounted side by side with a 2nd gun on a concrete memorial, No. 2 of 2. The monument was dedicated in 1901. (Faith Schachne Photo)
Several monuments on and near Westport’s Compo Beach mark the starting and ending point of the invasion of Danbury by British forces who landed there on April 25, 1777. The British brought about 2,000 troops to Westport, who planned to destroy war supplies being stored about 20 miles north in Danbury. The British spent the night in Weston before reaching Danbury on April 26, where they destroyed food, medicine and ammunition (but didn’t do a great job of destroying a cache of rum, which they drank instead). Warned of the pending arrival of local militia, the British evacuated Danbury and retreated south, engaging in battles in Ridgefield and Westport before sailing away on April 28. The British suffered more than 200 casualties in the fighting, and the Americans had 20 men killed and 40 wounded. Westport marks the battles with three monuments. At the intersection of Compo Road South and Post Road East, a boulder bears a plaque reading “Here occured the first engagement between the Continentals and the British Troops when they invaded Connecticut April-25-1777.” The plaque was dedicated in 1914 by the Connecticut Society Sons of the American Revolution.
M3A1 Stuart Light Tank, Town Green. Similar to this one on display with the 3rd Cavalry Museum, Fort Hood, Texas. (Author Photo)
Civil War Gun, mounted on a concrete stand in front of the Memorial Hall. (Dave Pelland Photo)
M110A2 8-inch Self-propelled Howitzer, (Serial No. BMY1076), VFW Post 296, 114 Colebrook River Road. (Similar to this one on display at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas. (Author Photo)
M4A3(75) HVSS Sherman Tank (Serial No. 61178), American Legion Post 165, 1253 Wolcott Rd.
Civil War Gun with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, No. 1 of 2 with the Soldier's Monument on the South Green. (Dave Pelland Photos)
Civil War Gun with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, No. 2 of 2 with the Soldier's Monument on the South Green.
Harbor Defense Command
Harbor Defense Command was a military organization of the United States Army Coast Artillery Corps designated in 1925 from predecessor organizations dating from circa 1895. It consisted of the forts, underwater minefields, and other coast defenses of a particular harbor or river. Harbor Defense Commands were disestablished in 1950 along with the Coast Artillery Corps.
155-mm M1918 gun on a Panama Mount. (US Army Photo)
These commands originated as Coast Artillery Districts, to control groups of forts constructed under the Endicott beginning in 1895. A 1909 reference shows that districts could include (depending on size) a Battle Command (later Fort Command), Fire Command, Mine Command, and Battery Commands. In 1913 the districts were redesignated as Coast Defense Commands, called "Coast Defenses of..." the area protected. At this time Coast Artillery Districts became regional commands, each controlling several Coast Defense Commands. Several of these commands were disarmed and disestablished between the First World War and the Second World War; some of these were rearmed in the Second World War with "Panama Mounts", circular concrete platforms for towed 155-mm guns. In 1925 the Coast Defense Commands were redesignated as Harbor Defense Commands, called "Harbor Defenses of..." the area protected. After the Second World War all of these commands were disarmed within a few years, and they and the Coast Artillery Corps were disestablished in 1950. (Wikipedia)