|Artillery and Armoured Fighting Vehicles preserved in New England 3: Vermont
Artillery and Armoured Fighting Vehicles preserved in New England
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in New England. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in New England would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data current to 15 Feb 2017.
(Bennington Museum Photo)
Small SBML Gun, Jan and Pieter Verbruggen, mounted on a wheeled carriage, captured at the Battle of Bennington, on display in the Bennington Museum.
The Battle of Bennington was one of the pivotal early battles of the Revolutionary War. As British forces marched toward Bennington, they were intercepted just across the border in New York State and were defeated by the colonists on 16 August 1777.
RML 4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, mounted on an iron stand beside the Civil War Memorial.
Colchester, Camp Johnston, Vermont National Guard Library and Museum
M42A1 Duster Anti-Aircraft armoured fighting vehicle with twin 40-mm Anti-aircraft guns, similar to this one found in the Louisiana National Guard Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana.
M47 Patton Main Battle Tank with 90-mm Gun, similar to this one on display at 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas.
M48A5 Patton Main Battle Tank, similar to this one on display at 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Hood, Texas.
M551 Sheridan Light Tank, similar to this one in the Oshawa Military Museum, Ontario.
M60A3 FT main battle tank with 105-mm Gun. Similar to this one found in the Louisiana National Guard Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana.
M60 Bulldozer tank.
(Alan Servais Photo)
M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank, 105-mm Gun.
(US Army Signal Corps Photo)
M7 105-mm Priest SP Gun of the 14th Armored Field Artillery Battalion of the 2nd Armored Division at the intersection of Holgate Street and the railway line Paris-Cherbourg, Carentan, France, 18 June 1944.
M7 105-mm Priest Self-Propelled Gun. Similar to this one on display at the 1st Cavalry Division Museum, Fort Hood, Texas.
M109 155-mm Paladin Self-Propelled Gun. Similar to this one on display at the Centreville cenotaph, New Brunswick.
Canon de 75 modèle 1897, French 75-mm Gun Model 1897. Similar to this one found on display in the Louisiana National Guard Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana.
US M1897 75-mm Field Howitzer.
M114 155-mm Howitzer, similar to this one at CFB Kingston, Ontario.
Russian quadruple-barreled ZPU-4 Type 56 14.5-mm anti-aircraft gun, similar to this one at the Louisiana National Guard Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana.
The ZPU (Russian anti-aircraft machine gun mount) is a family of towed anti-aircraft guns based on the Soviet 14.5×114-mm KPV heavy machine gun. It entered service with the Soviet Union in 1949 and is used by over 50 countries worldwide.
Russian S60 57-mm anti-aircraft gun, Syrian Army, similar to this one at CFB Kingston, Ontario.
German First World War 15-cm schwere Feldhaubitze 1902 field gun (Serial Nr. 1449), similar to this one at Quebec City, Quebec.
(Jennifer Snoots Photo)
8-inch Rodman Gun (Columbiad, 8-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1844), weight 9,240-lbs, mounted on a concrete stand, located in downtown Middlebury, adjacent to Frog Hollow, The Sheldon Museum, the Ilsley Library, and the John Deere historical marker. Inscription: "This cannon was presented to W.P. Russell Post No. 89 G.A.R Dept. of Vt. in the year 1910 by the U.S. Govt." (G.A.R refers to the "Grand Army of the Republic", a fraternal organization of veterans of the Union Army who had served in the Civil War.)
Small SBML Gun, mounted on a wheeled carriage. This is a Hessian field piece, captured from Lieutenant Colonel Friedrich Baum's Hessian mercenaries at the Battle of Bennington. An inscription on top of the barrel reads: "Taken from the Germans at Bennington 16 Aug 1777". This gun stands in front of the State House portico.
BL 4.7-inch (120-mm) Naval Gun, Krupp Steel, No. 1 of 2 taken from the Spanish cruiser Castilla, sunk by Admiral Dewey's squadron in Manilla Bay, 1 May 1898.
BL 4.7-inch (120-mm) Naval Gun, Krupp Steel, No. 2 of 2 taken from the Spanish cruiser Castilla, sunk by Admiral Dewey's squadron in Manilla Bay, 1 May 1898. In 1902, one of the breech-loading guns from Castilla was presented by Oscar F. Williams, U.S. Consul at Manila, to the city of Rochester, New York. It is currently located in Highland Park in Rochester. The Vermont State House features a pair of the same cannon, with an almost identical plaque, as decoration on the front lawn. The only difference in the plaque is the parts pertaining to the locality the gun was presented to.
3-inch Ordnance Rifle. Serial No. 783. (TBC).
Orwell, Mount Independence
Mount Independence on Lake Champlain in Orwell, was the site of extensive fortifications built during the American Revolutionary War by the American army to stop a British invasion. Construction began in July 1776, following the American defeat in Canada, and continued through the winter and spring of 1777. After the American retreat on 5-6 July 1777, British and German troops occupied Mount Independence until November 1777. After the American Revolution, Mount Independence was farm land, used for grazing sheep and cattle. It is now a state historic site, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1972 for its historical significance.
Previously named Rattlesnake Hill, Mount Independence is located in Orwell, Vermont, on the east side of Lake Champlain opposite Ticonderoga, New York, and historic Fort Ticonderoga. At its narrowest, the lake is a quarter mile wide between Mount Independence and Ticonderoga. The decision to fortify Mount Independence was made at Fort Crown Point on 7 July 1776, by a Council of War presided over by Northern Department Commander and Major General Philip Schuyler. Less than a week earlier, an American army had returned after a disastrous ten-month invasion of Canada. Morale was low, and the defeated army was ravaged by smallpox. In a letter, Schuyler told commander in chief George Washington, the peninsula opposite Ticonderoga was “so remarkably strong as to require little labour [sic] to make it tenable against a vast superiority of force, and fully to answer the purpose of preventing the enemy from penetrating into the country south of it.”
Twenty-one field officers objected to the move from Crown Point to Mount Independence, but on 11 July work began on the new site under the direction of military engineer Jeduthan Baldwin of Brookfield, Massachusetts. Within the week, much of the army relocated to Ticonderoga while men labored on Mount Independence to clear the forest and build huts and barracks. Mount Independence is a naturally strong defensive position. Unlike Fort Ticonderoga, which dominated the portage from Lake George to Lake Champlain but was open to attack from the north, Mount Independence presented a formidable obstacle to an invader from Canada. At the height of the American fortification of Mount Independence in the late fall of 1776, the site was occupied by three brigades of New England troops or more than six thousand men, which were reinforced by temporary militia from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and the New Hampshire Grants (the territory that was to become Vermont). Numerous huts and barracks housed these troops. An extensive breastwork with a battery of 28 cannons was built at the northern point of the peninsula. Above that position was the Citadel or Horseshoe battery. A star-shaped picket fort was later constructed on the height of land.
In the late spring of 1777, batteries designed by Polish military engineer Thaddeus K?ciuszko were constructed on the southeast side of Mount Independence.
During the four-month British and German occupation five blockhouses were begun to defend the east side against attack by land. By the end of October 1776, there were more than 13,000 men defending the fortifications at Mount Independence and Ticonderoga, making the location one of the largest population centers in the new country. (Wikipedia)
(University of Vermont Photo)
Map of Mount Independence as surveyed by British assistant engineer Lt. Charles Wintersmith in 1777.
3.67-in (20-lb) Naval Parrott Gun No. 107, from USS Kanawha
3-inch Ordnance Rifle, Serial No. 266 (TBC), No. 1 of 2.
3-inch Ordnance Rifle, Serial No. 374. (TBC), No. 2 of 2.
M4A2 Sherman tank, in front of Winooski Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1767, similar to this one on display at the New Orleans National Guard Museum, Louisiana.
RML 4.2-inch (30-pounder) Parrott Rifle, Naval Model, 3,470 lbs, Serial No. RPP No. 278 on the breeching ring and front site mount, P, RHH on the left trunnion. 1864, 30-POUNDER on the right trunnion. GAR Memorial Square.