|Artillery (8) Prince Edward Island, Summerside
Artillery on Prince Edward Island,
Data current to 14 July 2019.
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:
Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website
Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake". It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign. (Acorn sends)
Prince Edward Island
9-pounder 8-cwt Field Gun in action at Batoche, 24 Apr 1885. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3623592), and A Bty in action, 9 May 1885. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3192261)
9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-7 (921 lbs), RGF No. 128, 1871, mounted on farm wheels, St Eleanor. No. 1 of 2.
9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-5 (919 lbs), RGF No. -7-, Queen Victoria cypher on the barrel, mounted on farm wheels, St Eleanor. No. 2 of 2.
9-pounder 8-cwt Muzzleloading Rifle, weight 8-1-6 (920 lbs), RGF No. 119, 1871 on the trunnion, Firth's Steel No. 2155 on the muzzle, Queen Victoria cypher on the barrel, mounted on wooden wheels, inside the Prince Edward Island Regiment Armoury, Slemon Park. Inside the RHQ building. No. 3.
German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16). (Bundesarchiv Bild 102-11934, Reichswehr)
German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 13820). This gun was captured on 29 Sep 1918 by the 25th Battalion (Nova Scotia Rifles), 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), at Moon Quarry near Cherisy, France. No. 1 of 2 German guns in the Memorial Park.
The 7.7 cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7 cm FK 16) was a German field gun with a longer range than the FK 96 n.A. The barrel is longer and the gun has a box carriage to allow for greater elevation, which increased the range. It also has separate-loading ammunition to reduce powder consumption and barrel wear at short ranges, although this had the drawback of reducing the rate of fire compared to the older gun. It was prematurely rushed into production in 1916 and early guns suffered from a number of defects, mainly stemming from the German use of substitute materials to reduce consumption of strategic metals. It also suffered from a large number of premature detonations of its shells during 1916.
German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16). (Bundesarchiv Bild 102-10041), and (Bundesarchiv Bild 146-1998-009-15)
German First World War 10.5-cm leichtes Feldhaubitze 16 (10.5-cm leFH 16), (Serial Nr. 7419). This leFH 16 was likely captured ca 1918 by a Battalion of an Infantry Brigade with a Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in France. No. 2 of 2 German guns in Memorial Park.