|Artillery (7) New Brunswick, 5 CDSB Gagetown, the Infantry School
Artillery and Small Arms on display in the Infantry School,
at 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown
Data current to 26 July 2019.
The aim of this web page is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved 5 CDSB Gagetown. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:
Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website
Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake". It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign. (Acorn sends)
Une traduction au français pour l'information technique présente serait grandement apprécié. Vos corrections, changements et suggestions sont les bienvenus, et peuvent être envoyés au firstname.lastname@example.org.
.50-cal Anti-aircraft Machine Gun display, inside the school.
Small Arms Display in the Infantry School Lines
.57-cal Snyder Carbine.
.303-inch Ross Rifle.
.303-inch Lee Enfield Rifle.
.303-inch Vickers MG.
.30-cal M1 Carbine.
.30-cal M1 Carbine and .303 Bren Gun.
.303 Bren Gun.
.45-cal Thompson SMG.
9-mm Sten Gun.
9-mm Sterling SMG.
7.62-mm FNC1 Rifle.
7.62-mm FNC2 Rifle.
9-mm Browning Hi Power single-action semi-automatic handgun. High-Power pistols were produced in Canada for Allied use, by John Inglis and Company in Toronto, Ontario. The plans were sent from the FN factory to the UK when it became clear the Belgian plant would fall into German hands, enabling the Inglis factory to be tooled up for Hi-Power production for Allied use. Inglis produced two versions of the Hi-Power, one with an adjustable rear sight and detachable shoulder stock (primarily for a Nationalist Chinese contract) and one with a fixed rear sight. Production began in late 1944 and they were on issue by March 1945 in time for use on the Operation Varsity airborne crossing of the Rhine into Germany. The pistol was popular with the British airborne forces as well as covert operations and commando groups such as the Special Operations Executive (SOE), the U.S. Office of Strategic Services (OSS) and the British Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment. Inglis High-Powers made for Commonwealth forces have the British designation 'Mk 1', or 'Mk 1*', and the manufacturer's details on the left of the slide. They were known in British and Commonwealth service as the 'Pistol No 2 Mk 1', or 'Pistol No 2 Mk 1*' where applicable. Serial numbers were 6 characters, the second being the letter 'T', e.g. 1T2345. Serial numbers on pistols for the Chinese contract instead used the letters 'CH', but otherwise followed the same format. When the Chinese contract was cancelled, all undelivered Chinese-style pistols were accepted by the Canadian military with designations of 'Pistol No 1 Mk 1' and 'Pistol No 1 Mk 1*'.
Browning Hi-Power pistols were also used during the Second World War Axis forces. After occupying Belgium in 1940, German forces took over the FN plant. German troops subsequently used the Hi-Power, having assigned it the designation Pistole 640(b) ("b" for belgisch, "Belgian"). Examples produced by FN in Belgium under German occupation bear German inspection and acceptance marks, or Waffenamts, such as WaA613. In German service, it was used mainly by Waffen-SS and Fallschirmjäger troops.
.38 cal Enfield No. 2, Mk I* revolver.
.38-cal Webley Mk 1 revolver.
.455-cal Webley revolver, (also known as the Webley Top-Break Revolver or Webley Self-Extracting Revolver) was, in various marks, a standard issue service pistol for the armed forces of the British Commonwealth, from 1887 until 1963. The Webley is a top-break revolver and breaking the revolver operates the extractor, which removes cartridges from the cylinder. The Webley Mk. I service revolver was adopted in 1887 and the Mk. IV rose to prominence during the Boer War of 1899-1902. The Mk. VI, introduced in 1915 during the Firt World War, is perhaps the best-known model. Webley service revolvers are among the most powerful top-break revolvers ever produced.
.455-cal Webley revolver.
.38-cal Enfield Mk. 1 top-break revolver, manufactured from 1932 to 1957. It was the standard British Commonwealth sidearm in the Second World War, alongside the Webley Mk. IV and the Smith & Wesson Victory Model revolvers chambered in the same calibre.
.38-cal Smith and Wesson Victory Model revolver.
.455 cal. top-break revolver.