Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (6) Québec City, Porte Saint-Jean, Porte Kent, Porte Saint-Louis

Artillery preserved in Québec

Artillerie préservée au Québec

Porte Saint-Jean, Porte Kent,

Porte Saint-Louis

Data current to 9 Oct 2020.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

Le but de ce site Web est de localiser, d'identifier et de documenter chaque pièce d'artillerie historique conservée au Canada. 
De nombreux contributeurs ont aidé à la recherche de ces armes à feu pour fournir et mettre à jour les données trouvées sur
ces pages Web. Les photos sont de l'auteur, sauf indication contraire. Toute erreur trouvée ici est de l'auteur, et tout ajout, correction
ou amendement à cette liste d'armes à feu et d'artillerie au Canada serait le bienvenu et peut être envoyé par courriel à l'auteur
à hskaarup@rogers.com.
Pour toutes les données officielles concernant le Régiment royal de l'Artillerie canadienne, veuillez cliquer sur le lien vers 
leur site Web: du Régiment royal de l'Artillerie canadienne. Remarque: À l'époque, l'artillerie au Canada était désignée par son indicatif d'appel radio «Sheldrake». Il est maintenant
désigné par son indicatif d'appel "Golf". (Acorn envoie)
Une traduction au français pour l'information technique présente serait grandement apprécié.  Vos corrections, changements 
et suggestions sont les bienvenus, et peuvent être envoyés au hskaarup@rogers.com

The Portes de Québec are works integrated into the system of walls and fortifications surrounding part of Québec City. 
There are currently four of them.
Les portes de Québec sont des ouvrages intégrés au système de murs et de fortifications entourant une partie de la ville de 
Québec. Elles sont actuellement au nombre de quatre.
The first gates were built in the 17th century during the French regime.  Others were added during the period of British 
rule which followed from the 18th century, with the British authorities being anxious to be able to block access to the city
from all sides. Guarded by soldiers, the gates were closed overnight, thus isolating Quebec's upper town from the surrounding
region. Most of the gates were demolished and rebuilt several times. Since they constituted a serious obstacle to urban traffic,
several doors were demolished definitively in 1871, among others, to allow better access to new places of development: the
station, the port and the suburbs. Three doors still exist today, after having been rebuilt on a different model, which no longer
constitutes an obstacle. Today, six entrances allow entry to the interior of Old Quebec and all are free to enter.

Les premières portes furent construites au xviie siècle durant le régime français.  D'autres s'ajoutèrent à l'époque du régime britannique qui suivit à partir du xviiie siècle, les autorités britanniques étant soucieuses de pouvoir bloquer les accès à la ville de tous les côtés.  Gardées par des soldats, les portes étaient fermées durant la nuit, isolant ainsi la haute-ville de Québec de la région avoisinante.

La plupart des portes furent démolies et reconstruites à plusieurs reprises.  Puisqu'elles constituaient un sérieux obstacle à la circulation urbaine, plusieurs portes furent définitivement démolies dès 1871 en autres, pour permettre un meilleur accès à de nouveaux pôles de développement: la gare, le port et les banlieues.  Trois portes existent néanmoins encore aujourd'hui, après avoir été reconstruites sur un modèle différent, qui ne constitue plus une entrave.  De nos jours, six accès permettent d’entrer à l'intérieur du Vieux-Québec et tous sont libres d'accès.

 (Author Photo)
Rampart walls viewed from Porte Saint-Jean looking south.












(Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 47-3-7 (5,355 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of
Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 16) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted
on a wood naval gun carriage,
between the Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification walls.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 47-3-7 (5355 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company
of Rotherham, Angleterre (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (N ° de série 16) sur le tourillon droit, chiffrement King George III, marque
de flèche large, monté sur une voiture de canon naval en bois, entre la redoute Dauphine et les murs de fortification.
















Cast Iron 13-inch 36-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, weight 35-2-9 (3,985 lbs), Low-Moor, (Serial No. 1066), 
broad arrow mark, between t
he Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification walls.

Fonte 13 pouces 36 cwt Mortier de service terrestre à chargement par muzzlel, poids 35-2-9 (3985 lb), Low-Moor, (N ° de série 1066),
large flèche, entre la redoute Dauphine et les murs de fortification.


Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-0-3 (5,603 lbs), likely Samuel 
Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion (buried), (Serial No. 114) on right trunnion, King
George III cypher, broad arrow mark,
unmounted, one of three on the ground between the Dauphine Redoubt and the
fortification walls.

Blomefield Fonte 24 livres 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 50-0-3 (5603 lbs), probablement Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche (enterré), (numéro de série 114) sur le tourillon
droit, King Chiffre George III, large flèche, non monté, l'un des trois au sol entre la redoute Dauphine et le murs de
fortification.


...the weight on this gun is stamped upside down on the barrel above the touch hole, unlike with most of the other guns.
Possibly a replica.

... le poids de ce pistolet est gravé à l'envers sur le canon au-dessus du trou tactile, contrairement à la plupart des autres
canons. Peut-être une réplique.



(Author Photo)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-0-0 (5,600 lbs), Samuel Walker & 
Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 106) on right trunnion and above the King George III
cypher, broad arrow mark, unmounted, middle gun of three on the ground
between the Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification
walls.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24 livres 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 50-0-0 (5600 lbs), Samuel Walker &
Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (série N ° 106) sur le tourillon droit et au-dessus du King 
George III chiffre, marque de flèche large, non monté, canon central de trois au sol entre la redoute Dauphine et les murs
de fortification.



(Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight c50-x-x (corroded number greater than 5,600 lbs), 
The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. corroded, CARRON, c1806) on the left trunnion, (24P) on the right trunnion,
King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, unmounted, 3rd
of three on the ground between the Dauphine Redoubt and the
fortification walls.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids c50-x-x (nombre corrodé supérieur à 5600 lbs),
La société Carron de Falkirk, Ecosse (N ° de série corrodé, CARRON, c1806) sur le tourillon gauche, (24P) sur le tourillon droit,
Chiffre du roi George III, large flèche, non monté, 3e des trois au sol entre la redoute Dauphine et le murs de fortification.

(Author Photo)

Gun gin with 24-pounder gun carriage near the three guns on the ground
between the Dauphine Redoubt and the
fortification walls.
Gun gin avec chariot de 24 livres près des trois canons au sol entre la redoute Dauphine et le murs de fortification.









(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 48-0-1 (5,376 lbs), Samuel Walker & 
Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 174) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad
arrow mark,
mounted on a 24-pounder iron garrison carriage, 1 of 3 in the northwest corner of the Dauphine Redoubt.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24 livres 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 48-0-1 (5376 lbs), Samuel Walker &
Compagnie de Rotherham, Angleterre (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (N ° de série 174) sur le tourillon droit, chiffrement 
King George III, large flèche, montée sur une voiture de garnison en fer de 24 livres, 1 sur 3 dans le coin nord-ouest de
la redoute Dauphine.






(Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-3-12 (5,696 lbs), (blank) on left trunnion,
(Serial No. blank) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark,
mounted on a 24-pounder iron garrison carriage,
possible replica, second of three in the northwest corner of
the Dauphine Redoubt.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 50-3-12 (5696 lbs), (vide) sur le tourillon gauche,
(N ° de série vide) sur le tourillon droit, le chiffre du roi George III, large flèche, monté sur un chariot de garnison en fer de 24 livres,
réplique possible, deuxième des trois dans le coin nord-ouest de la redoute Dauphine.









(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 49-x-x (>5,488 lbs), Samuel 
Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 66) on right trunnion, King
George III cypher, broad arrow mark,
mounted on a 24-pounder iron garrison carriage, No. 3 of 3 in the northwest corner
of
the Dauphine Redoubt.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 49-x-x (> 5488 lbs), Samuel
Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (numéro de série 66) sur le tourillon droit, 
King Chiffre George III, marque de flèche large, monté sur une voiture de garnison de fer de 24 livres, N ° 3 sur 3 dans
le coin nord-ouest de la redoute Dauphine.
 (Christophe.Finot Photo)

Redoubt Dauphine

The Dauphine Redoubt is a large, gable-roofed structure prominently located in the city of Québec, as part of the Artillery Park
Heritage Site, within the Fortifications of Québec National Historic Site of Canada. Built into a rising terrain, it has four, three
and two-story sections with symmetrically arranged multi-paned windows along its parged masonry walls. The building, an
example of traditional Québec architecture, features cut stone around the openings, gabled dormers, masonry chimneys, a wood
shingle-clad roof and a metal-clad roof. Tall, gabled stone buttresses on the east façade distinguish the building in its urban landscape.
The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Dauphin Redoubt in Artillery Park, was constructed in two phases. Work began on the building in 1712, but then the original
plans were amended, and it was not completed until 1747- 48. Subsequently, alterations were made to suit its changing role. It was
completely restored as a museum in 1974-75. Parks Canada is the current custodian of the Dauphin Redoubt, which is part of Artillery
Park National Historic Site.

La redoute Dauphine est un grand bâtiment à toit à deux versants sis bien en vue dans le site patrimonial du Parc-de-l'Artillerie,
dans le lieu historique national du Canada des Fortifications-de-Québec, dans le secteur historique du Vieux-Québec. Épousant
la déclivité du terrain, l’ouvrage est en deux sections, l’une de trois étages et l’autre de quatre, dont les murs en maçonnerie et
enduits de crépi sont percés de fenêtres à carreaux multiples disposées de façon symétrique. Le bâtiment, qui est typique de
l’architecture québécoise traditionnelle, présente des encadrements en pierre de taille autour des ouvertures des lucarnes à pignons,
des cheminées de maçonnerie, un toit revêtu de bardeaux de bois et un toit à couverture métallique. La façade est présente de
hauts contreforts en pierre, coiffés d’un pignon qui distingue le bâtiment dans le paysage urbain. (historicplaces.ca)
Sa construction s’amorce en 1712 à partir des plans de l’ingénieur Josué Boisberthelot de Beaucours. Abandonnée dès l’année
suivante, c’est Joseph-Gaspard Chaussegros de Léry qui la complète en 1747-1748. Elle est construite sur une dénivellation
importante. C’est ce qui explique que sa section sud comporte deux étages alors que celle du nord en compte quatre. À l’époque,
on la décrivait comme une «tour bastionnée. En effet, il s’agissait d’une caserne de soldats qui était appuyée sur un bastion armé
de batteries. Ça en faisait un bâtiment de défense autonome. Ce qui lui a donné sa personnalité distinctive est sans doute la
présence de ses cinq imposants contreforts. Ces derniers n’étaient pas d’origine. En effet, c’est en 1770 les Britanniques
constatent un mouvement du bâtiment qui semble se déplacer vers le pied de la pente sur laquelle il se trouve. C’est pourquoi ils
ajoutent ces contreforts pour contrer la poussée qui s’exerce vers le bas. C’est ce qui rendra cet édifice unique. Au fil du temps,
elle aura servi de caserne, de logis d'officiers, de mess, d'entrepôts, de logement pour le surintendant de l'Arsenal du Dominion
et de local de la YWCA. Par ailleurs, il s’agit du deuxième plus ancien bâtiment militaire au Canada. Seule la redoute du Cap
de la citadelle (1693) est plus ancienne. (Société historique de Québec)

(Author Photo)

The Porte Saint-Jean was built in 1693. It is located on rue Saint-Jean and faces west, towards Sainte-Foy. In 1745, it was replaced by
a second, further west. The latter was demolished and a new one was rebuilt in 1863. In 1897, this third gate was demolished to facilitate
movement. The current gate, the fourth, was built in 1939-1940. The escutcheon above the front door is sculpted by Théodule Guilemette,
to whom we also owe several sculptures in Quebec.

La porte Saint-Jean est construite en 1693. Elle se situe sur la rue Saint-Jean et donne sur l'ouest, en direction de Sainte-Foy. En 1745
elle est remplacée par une seconde, plus à l'ouest. Cette dernière est démolie et une nouvelle est reconstruite en 1843. En 1897, cette
troisième porte est démolie pour faciliter la circulation. La porte actuelle, la quatrième, est construite en 1939-1940
. L'écusson
au-dessus de la porte d'entrée est sculpté par Théodule Guilemette
, à qui nous devons également plusieurs sculptures à Québec.







Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-2-x (>5,656 lbs), The Carron Company 
of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 69848, CARRON, 1806) on the left trunnion, (24P) on the right trunnion, King George III
cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage. This is the third of
three guns mounted on the north side
of Porte Saint-Jean, overlooking the road and facin south of
the Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 50-2-x (> 5656 lbs), Le Carron Company
de Falkirk, Ecosse (N ° de série 69848, CARRON, 1806) sur le tourillon gauche, (24P) sur le tourillon droit, King George III
chiffre, marque de flèche large, monté sur une voiture de garnison en fer.  C'est le troisième des trois canons montés sur le côté nord
de la porte Saint-Jean, donnant sur la route et face au sud de la redoute Dauphine et des murs de fortification.





(Author Photos(
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 55-1-21 (6,209 lbs), Samuel 
Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 26) on right trunnion, King
George III cypher, broad arrow mark,
mounted on a 24-pounder iron garrison carriage. This is the second of three guns
mounted on the north side of Porte Saint-Jean, overlooking the road and facin south of
the Dauphine Redoubt and the
fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24 livres 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 55-1-21 (6209 lbs), Samuel
Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (numéro de série 66) sur le tourillon droit, 
King Chiffre George III, marque de flèche large, monté sur une voiture de garnison en fer de 24 livres. C'est le deuxième
de trois pistolets monté du côté nord de la porte Saint-Jean, surplombant la route et face au sud de la redoute Dauphine
et de la murs de fortification.




(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 51-2-7 (5,775 lbs), The Carron Company 
of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 70827, CARRON, 1807) on the left trunnion, (24P) on the right trunnion, King George III
cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage. This is the third of
three guns mounted on the north side
of Porte Saint-Jean, overlooking the road and facing south of
the Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 51-2-7 (5775 lbs), The Carron Company
de Falkirk, Ecosse (N ° de série 70827, CARRON, 1807) sur le tourillon gauche, (24P) sur le tourillon droit, King George III
chiffre, marque de flèche large, monté sur une voiture de garnison en fer. C'est le troisième des trois canons montés sur le côté 
nord de la porte Saint-Jean, surplombant la route et face au sud de la redoute Dauphine et des murs de fortification.





(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-0-1 (5,601 lbs), unknown maker, likely 
a replica (Serial No. blank, 1803) on the left trunnion, (24P) on the right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark,
mounted on a wood naval gun carriage. This is the first of
three guns mounted on the south side of Porte Saint-Jean,
overlooking the road and facing nroth towards
the Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 50-0-1 (5601 lbs), fabricant inconnu, probable
une réplique (N ° de série vierge, 1803) sur le tourillon gauche, (24P) sur le tourillon droit, chiffre King George III, marque de 
flèche large, monté sur un chariot de canon naval en bois. C'est le premier de trois canons montés sur le côté sud de la porte
Saint-Jean, surplombant la route et face au nord vers la redoute Dauphine et les murs de fortification.



(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-1-12 (5,640 lbs), unknown maker, likely 
a replica (Serial No. blank, 1802) on the left trunnion, (24P) on the right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark,
mounted on a wood naval gun carriage. This is the second of
three guns mounted on the south side of Porte Saint-Jean,
overlooking the road and facing north towards
the Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 50-1-12 (5640 lbs), fabricant inconnu, probable
une réplique (N ° de série vierge, 1802) sur le tourillon gauche, (24P) sur le tourillon droit, chiffre King George III, marque de 
flèche large, monté sur un chariot de canon naval en bois. C'est le deuxième de trois canons montés sur le côté sud de la porte
Saint-Jean, surplombant la route et face au nord vers la redoute Dauphine et les murs de fortification.







(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-x-0 (>5,600 lbs), The Carron Company 
of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 70827, CARRON, 1807) on the left trunnion, (24P) on the right trunnion, King George III
cypher, broad arrow mark,
mounted on a wood naval gun carriage. This is the third of three guns mounted on the south side of
Porte Saint-Jean, overlooking the road and facing north towards
the Dauphine Redoubt and the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 50-x-0 (> 5600 lbs), The Carron Company
de Falkirk, Ecosse (N ° de série 70827, CARRON, 1807) sur le tourillon gauche, (24P) sur le tourillon droit, King George III
chiffre, marque de flèche large, monté sur un chariot de canon naval en bois. C'est le troisième des trois canons montés sur le 
côté sud de Porte Saint-Jean, surplombant la route et face au nord vers la redoute Dauphine et les murs de fortification.

(Author Photo)
Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, Bollard No. 1, embedded in the rampart between the Porte 
Saint-Jean and Porte Kent.

Canon en fonte 24 livres 50 cwt à alésage lisse, borne N ° 1, encastré dans le rempart entre la Porte Saint-Jean et Porte Kent.

(Author Photo)

Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, Bollard No. 2, embedded in the rampart between the 
Porte Saint-Jean and Porte Kent.
Canon en fonte 24 livres 50 cwt à alésage lisse, borne N ° 2, encastré dans le rempart entre la Porte Saint-Jean et Porte 
Kent.








(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 48-0-4 (5,380 lbs), Samuel Walker & 
Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 149) on right trunnion, King George III cypher,
broad arrow mark,
mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, facing 4-pounder iron garrison carriage. This is the first of three
guns mounted on the south side of Porte Saint-Louis, overlooking the road and facing north of
the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 48-0-4 (5380 lbs), Samuel Walker &
Compagnie de Rotherham, Angleterre (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (série N ° 149) sur le tourillon droit, le chiffrement 
King George III, large flèche, montée sur un chariot de canon naval en bois, face à un chariot de garnison en fer de 4 livres.
C'est le premier des trois pistolets monté sur le côté sud de la porte Saint-Louis, surplombant la route et face au nord des
murs de fortification.









(Author Photos)
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 5x-x-x (>5,600 lbs), Samuel Walker & 
Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 26) on right trunnion, King George III cypher,
broad arrow mark,
mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, facing 4-pounder iron garrison carriage. This is the second of three
guns mounted on the south side of Porte Saint-Louis, overlooking the road and facing north of
the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 5x-x-x (>5600 lbs), Samuel Walker &
Compagnie de Rotherham, Angleterre (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (série N ° 26) sur le tourillon droit, le chiffrement 
King George III, large flèche, montée sur un chariot de canon naval en bois, face à un chariot de garnison en fer de 4 livres.
C'est le seconde
des trois pistolets monté sur le côté sud de la porte Saint-Louis, surplombant la route et face au nord des
murs de fortification.
 









(Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 48-0-0 (5,376 lbs),
Samuel Walker &
Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 160) on right trunnion, King George III cypher,
broad arrow mark,
mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, facing 4-pounder iron garrison carriage. This is the third of three
guns mounted on the south side of Porte Saint-Louis, overlooking the road and facing north of
the fortification walls.
Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, poids 48-0-0 (5,376 lbs), Samuel Walker &
Compagnie de Rotherham, Angleterre (WCo) sur le tourillon gauche, (série N ° 160) sur le tourillon droit, le chiffrement 
King George III, large flèche, montée sur un chariot de canon naval en bois, face à un chariot de garnison en fer de 4 livres.
C'est le troisième des trois pistolets monté sur le côté sud de la porte Saint-Louis, surplombant la route et face au nord des
murs de fortification.
 (Smudge 9000 Photo)
The Porte Saint-Louis was built in 1693. It is located on rue Saint-Louis and faces west, towards the heights of Abraham. 
It was replaced by another, further west, in 1745. It was demolished and then rebuilt in its current form in 1878.

La porte Saint-Louis est construite en 1693. Elle se situe sur la rue Saint-Louis et donne sur l'ouest, en direction des hauters
d'Abraham.
Elle est remplacée par une autre, plus à l'ouest, en 1745. Celle-ci est démolie puis reconstruite dans sa forme
actuelle en 1878
.

The Prescott Gate was built in 1792, under British rule. It overlooked the east. Located in the Côte de la Montagne, it closed
this communication route between the lower town and the upper town. It was surmounted by a guardhouse where the soldiers
on duty were housed. It was named after Robert Prescott, Governor General of Canada at the time. It was demolished in 1871.
Today there is an elevated pedestrian bridge, built in 1983, which spans the Côte de la Montagne. This gateway, although called
the “Prescott Gate”, has nothing in common with what the Prescott Gate was.

La porte Prescott est érigée en 1797, sous le régime britannique. Elle donnait sur l'est. Située dans la côte de la Montagne, elle
fermait cette voie de communication entre la basse-ville et la haute-ville. Elle était surmontée d'un corps-de-garde où logeaient
les soldats de faction. Elle portait le nom de Robert Prescott. gouverneur général du Canada
 à cette époque. Elle est démolie en 
1871. On trouve aujourd'hui à cet endroit une passerelle piétonnière surélevée, construite en 1983, qui enjambe la Côte de la
Montagne. Cette passerelle, bien que nommée « porte Prescott », n'a toutefois rien de commun avec ce qu'était la porte Prescott.


Kent Gate is the last gate to be built. It was not open until 1878 and 1879. Unlike all other gates, the Kent Gate never played a
role as a functional part of the town's fortifications. It was only erected for ornamental purposes, as part of the fortification
conservation plan proposed by the then Governor General, Lord Dufferin, after the departure of the British garrison. It is
named in memory of the Duke of Kent, father of Queen Victoria, and the latter contributed financially to its construction.

La porte Kent est la dernière porte à être construite. Elle ne le fut qu'en 1878 et 1879. Contrairement à toutes les autres portes,
la porte Kent n'a jamais joué de rôle en tant qu'élément fonctionnel des fortifications de la ville. Elle ne fut érigée que dans un
but ornemental, dans le cadre du plan de conservation des fortifications proposé par le gouverneur général de cette époque, lord
Dufferin
, après le départ de la garnison britannique. Elle est nommée en souvenir du duc de Kent, père de la reine Victoria, et
celle-ci contribua financièrement à sa construction.

The Porte du Palais, also called the Porte Saint-Nicolas, was built in 1690. It was replaced in 1748, then again in 1830-1831.
It is located on the coast of the Palace. On the outside, it faces north, towards what was then the Faubourg Saint-Nicolas.
Narrow, constituting an obstacle to traffic and having lost its raison d'être, it was definitively demolished in 1873.

La porte du Palais, aussi appelée la porte Saint-Nicolas, est construite en 1690. Elle est remplacée en 1748, puis de nouveau
en 
1830-1831. Elle se situe dans la côte du Palais. Du côté extérieur, elle donne au nord, vers ce qui était alors le faubourg
Saint-Nicholas
. Étroite, constituant un obstacle à la circulation et ayant perdu sa raison d'être, elle est définitivement démolie
en 1873.


The Hope Gate, also called the Canoterie Gate, was built in 1786. It was located at the top of the Côte de la Canoterie.
It overlooked the north, the bottom of the Canoterie hill leading at this time practically to the Saint-Charles river. On one of
its sides, it was flanked by a guardhouse overlooking the cliff. Towards the interior of the city, it was located in the axis of
rue Sainte-Famille, sometimes called rue Hope by anglophones. It is named after Henry Hope, Lieutenant Governor of
Quebec. It was definitely demolished after 1871. In 2008, during the 400th anniversary of Quebec City, the gate was
temporarily recreated with plants. (https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/qc/fortifications)

La porte Hope, aussi appelée la porte de la Canoterie, est construite en 1786. Elle était située au haut de la Côte de la
Canoterie. Elle donnait sur le nord, le bas de la côte de la Canoterie débouchant à cette époque pratiquement sur la rivière
Saint-Charles
. Sur l'un de ses côtés, elle était flanquée d'un corps de garde surplombant la falaise. Vers l'intérieur de la ville,
elle se situait dans l'axe de la rue Sainte-Famille, parfois appelée rue Hope par les anglophones. Elle est nommée d'après 
Henry Hope. lieutenant-gouverneur du Québec
. Elle est définitivement démolie après 1871. En 2008, lors du 400e
anniversaire de Québec, la porte est temporairement recréée avec des végétaux.
(https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/qc/fortifications)