Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (6) Québec City, Presbytère St-Michel de Sillery, Upper Town Fortifications, Dufferin Terrace, Batterie Royale, HMCS Montcalm

Artillerie préservée à Québec, 
Presbytère St-Michel de Sillery,
Terrasse DufferinBatterie Royale,
Fortifications de la haute ville,

Artillery preserved in Québec City,

Presbytère St-Michel de Sillery, Dufferin Terrace, Batterie Royale, 

Upper Town Fortifications 

Data current to 22 June 2020.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

Le but de ce site Web est de localiser, d'identifier et de documenter chaque pièce d'artillerie historique conservée au Canada. 
De nombreux contributeurs ont aidé à la recherche de ces armes à feu pour fournir et mettre à jour les données trouvées sur
ces pages Web. Les photos sont de l'auteur, sauf indication contraire. Toutes les erreurs trouvées ici sont de l'auteur, et tout ajout,
correction ou amendement à cette liste d'armes à feu et d'artillerie au Canada serait le bienvenu et peut être envoyé par courriel
à l'auteur à hskaarup@rogers.com.

Une traduction au français pour l'information technique présente serait grandement apprécié. Vos corrections, changements et suggestions sont les bienvenus, et peuvent être envoyés au hskaarup@rogers.com

Québec City

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3330196)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, Quebec City, ca 1950s. 

There are many guns located in and around the defence works of old Québec City.  From the Highway 20 exiting North on Highway 73, you turn East onto Route 173, Boulevard Laurier, and then take a turn South onto St. Louis Street.  Four guns are located in front of the church overlooking the St Lawrence River at Sillery.

De nombreux canons se trouvent dans et autour des ouvrages de défense de la vieille ville de Québec. De l'autoroute 20 sortant 
du nord sur l'autoroute 73, vous tournez vers l'est sur la route 173, boulevard Laurier, puis tournez vers le sud sur la rue Saint-Louis.
Quatre canons sont situés devant l'église surplombant le fleuve Saint-Laurent à Sillery.

Québec City, Presbytère St-Michel de Sillery

 (James Simonds Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-2-23 (6,351 lbs), The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 70743, CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage marked 24-pounder, weight 21-32-2 (2,438 lbs). This Gun is No. 1 of 4 facing the St Lawrence River.

The Blomefield 32-pounder 56-cwt Gun has a length of 9 feet 6 inches.  It is the most common 32-pounder in Canada and can be recognized by a reinforcing ring that is slightly raised followed by a definite "step-down" in the barrel just forward of the trunnions heading to the muzzle.

Le pistolet Blomefield de 32 livres et 56 cwt a une longueur de 9 pieds 6 pouces. Il est le plus courant de 32 livres au Canada 
et peut être reconnu par un anneau de renforcement légèrement surélevé suivi d'un "abaissement" définitif dans le canon juste
en avant des tourillons se dirigeant vers le museau.

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 55-2-18 (6,234 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 318) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron carriage, weight 22-3-25 (2,573 lbs).  No. 2 of 4 facing the river.

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 55-3-14 (6,258 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 316) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, weight 21-3-6 (2,442 lbs).  No. 3 of 4 facing the river.

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-0-0 (6,272 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 315) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, weight 21-2-20 (2,428 lbs).  No. 4 of 4, beside the church, facing the river.

Artillery found on the Plains of Abraham Battlefield Park is listed on a separate page.

Québec City, Upper Town

Cast Iron 10-inch 16-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, weight 16-1-7 (1,827 lbs), maker and Serial No. unknown.  No. 1 of 2, standing in front of the entrance to 35 Brigade Group Headquarters on the street leading up to the Citadel.

Cast Iron 10-inch 16-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, weight 16-1-7 (1,831 lbs), maker and Serial No. unknown.  No. 2 of 2, standing in front of the entrance to 35 Brigade Group Headquarters on the street leading up to the Citadel.

Cast Iron 10-inch 16-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, weight 16-1-7 (1,827 lbs), with a pair of Dolphin carrying handles, mounted on a wood carriage minus the wheels, No. 1 of 2, guarding the outside entrance to the Citadel.

Cast Iron 10-inch 16-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Land Service Mortar, weight 16-?-? (>1,800 lbs), with a pair of Dolphin carrying handles, mounted on a wood carriage minus the wheels, No. 2 of 2, guarding the outside entrance to the Citadel.

Cast Iron 68-pounder 36-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight TBC, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage in front of Hotel Ashton on Rue St. Louis in Old Quebec.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight and maker unknown, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage in front of Hotel Ashton on Rue St. Louis in Old Quebec.

Québec CityDes Braves Monument

 (Pjposullivan Photo)

In the early 1850s, some workers discovered bones that appeared to belong to the soldiers who died on 28 April 1760, in the Battle of Sainte-Foy.  On 5 June 1854, the Saint-Jean Baptiste Society undertook to transfer the remains to a common grave on a property donated by a private citizen.  To commemorate this French victory, plans were made to erect a monument on the site of the Dumont Mill, where the fiercest fighting had taken place.  The cornerstone of the monument was laid on 18 July of the same year, in the presence of a procession of thousands.  Also participating in the ceremony was the crew of the French warship “La Capricieuse,” one of the first French ships to visit Quebec City since the Conquest.  This symbolic reconciliation coincided with the new alliance between England and France during the Crimean War (1853-1856).  A subscription campaign was conducted by the Saint-Jean Baptiste Society of Quebec to produce the monument designed by architect Charles Baillairgé and constructed by John Ritchie and Joseph Larose.  A stone base was erected in 1860, on the occasion of the battle’s centennial. The pedestal and cast column were added on 24 June 1861. The statue on top of the column, a representation of Bellona, the Roman goddess of war, was donated by the French prince Jerome-Napoleon, the uncle of Emperor Napoleon III.  The figure stands three metres high, carries a lance and shield, and looks over the part of the battlefield that was occupied by the French army.  On the cenotaph furnishing the base of the statue are four bronze mortars. Inscribed on two plaques are the names of Lévis and Murray, the generals who led the opposing armies. The 22-metre monument was officially inaugurated on 19 October 1863.  Archives of the National Battlefields Commission.

Au début des années 1850, certains ouvriers ont découvert des ossements qui semblaient appartenir aux soldats décédés le 28 avril 
1760, lors de la bataille de Sainte-Foy. Le 5 juin 1854, la Société Saint-Jean Baptiste s'engage à transférer les restes dans une fosse
commune sur une propriété donnée par un simple citoyen. Pour commémorer cette victoire française, il a été prévu d'ériger un
monument sur le site du Moulin Dumont, où les combats les plus acharnés avaient eu lieu. La pierre angulaire du monument a
été posée le 18 juillet de la même année, en présence d'un cortège de milliers de personnes. L'équipage du navire de guerre français
«La Capricieuse», l'un des premiers navires français à visiter la ville de Québec depuis la Conquête, a également participé à la cérémonie.
Cette réconciliation symbolique a coïncidé avec la nouvelle alliance entre l'Angleterre et la France pendant la guerre de Crimée (1853-1856).
Une campagne d'abonnement a été menée par la Société Saint-Jean Baptiste du Québec pour produire le monument conçu par l'architecte
Charles Baillairgé et construit par John Ritchie et Joseph Larose. Une base en pierre a été érigée en 1860, à l’occasion du centenaire de
la bataille. Le piédestal et la colonne en fonte ont été ajoutés le 24 juin 1861. La statue au sommet de la colonne, une représentation de
Bellone, la déesse romaine de la guerre, a été offerte par le prince français Jérôme-Napoléon, l'oncle de l'empereur Napoléon III. La figure
mesure trois mètres de haut, porte une lance et un bouclier et regarde la partie du champ de bataille qui était occupée par l'armée française.
Sur le cénotaphe meublant la base de la statue se trouvent quatre mortiers en bronze. Les noms de Lévis et Murray, les généraux qui ont
dirigé les armées adverses, sont inscrits sur deux plaques. Le monument de 22 mètres a été officiellement inauguré le 19 octobre 1863.
Archives de la Commission des champs de bataille nationaux.

  (Studio Livernois Photo)

Bronze Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight and maker TBC, No. 1 at the foot of Des Braves Monument, Des Braves Avenue and St. Foy Road.

Bronze Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight and maker TBC, No. 2 at the foot of Des Braves Monument, Des Braves Avenue and St. Foy Road.

Bronze Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight and maker TBC, No. 3 at the foot of Des Braves Monument, Des Braves Avenue and St. Foy Road.

Bronze Smoothbore Muzzleloading Mortar, weight and maker TBC, No. 4 at the foot of Des Braves Monument, Des Braves Avenue and St. Foy Road.

 (Jeangagnon Photo)

Québec CityLa Citadelle

 (Musée Royal 22e Régiment - Caporal David Robert Photo)

The guns on display in the Quebec Citadel are listed on a separate web page.

Les armes exposées dans la Citadelle de Québec sont répertoriées sur une page Web distincte.

The guns on display along the Rues des Remparts in Quebec City are listed on a separate web page.

Les fusils exposés le long des Rues des Remparts à Québec sont répertoriés sur une page Web distincte.

Québec CityChateau Frontenac, Dufferin Terrace

There are six smoothbore muzzleloading guns mounted on Duffering Terrace facing the St. Lawrence River.  The guns are listed from right to left as you stand behind them.

Il y a six pistolets à chargement par la bouche à canon lisse montés sur Duffering Terrace, face au fleuve Saint-Laurent. 
Les armes sont répertoriées de droite à gauche lorsque vous vous tenez derrière elles.

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, (6,000 lbs +), The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 71504, CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  West side of the Promenade in front of Chateau Frontenac.  No. 1.

 

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded (6,000 lbs +), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 291) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a iron garrison gun carriage.  West side of the Promenade in front of Chateau Frontenac.  No. 2.

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, (6,000 lbs +), The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 70952, CARRON, 1806) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  West side of the Promenade in front of Chateau Frontenac.  No. 3.

 

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded (6,000 lbs +), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. 446) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a iron garrison gun carriage.  West side of the Promenade in front of Chateau Frontenac.  No. 4.

 

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, Serial No. 64312 on left trunnion, forged by Gascoigne at Alexandrovski with double-headed Eagle, Crimean War trophy with trunnions, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  West side of the Promenade in front of Chateau Frontenac.  No. 5.

 

 

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight corroded, Serial No. 7379 on left trunnion, forged by Gascoigne at Alexandrovski with double-headed Eagle, Crimean War trophy with trunnions, mounted on an iron garrison gun carriage.  East side of the Promenade in front of Chateau Frontenac.  No. 6.

Québec City, Artillery Park

 (Photo courtesy of Christophe Finot)

Cast Iron 24-pounder 13-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Carronade with a Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight TBC, mounted on a wooden naval carriage.  La Fonderie du bastion Saint-Jean.

Québec City, Batterie Royale

The Batterie Royale (Royal Battery) saw service from 1691 to 1759, although initially the only enemy the battery faced was the weather and nature.  During that period it was surrounded by the river and brushed by the tides, water currents and thick ice.  These elements caused extensive damage, and therefore over the years many repairs and adjustments were required to keep it intact.  The battery engaged in its first and only action in 1759.  General James Wolfe led the British Army to Quebèc and for three months, Commander Monckton and his gunners bombarded the city from the Lèvis shore.  Between 12 July and 13 September, over 40,000 rounds of shot and 10,000 shells rained down on the city.  Because the Royal Battery was a well-known defensive fortification it was a frequent target and during the bombardment, hundreds of houses behind it were reduced to rubble. The Battle of the Plains of Abraham on 13 September ended the siege, and five days later the city surrendered.  Once its military function became obsolete, the battery was used as a wharf.  Over the course of the 19th century, the battery was gradually built over and buried under landfill.  It was restored in 1977 after the buried ruins were discovered by archeologists.

There are ten replica SBML guns of various weights and sizes, but no markings, cyphers or makers marks, mounted on wood naval gun carriages behind a reconstructed wood defence position on Boulevard Champlain.

La Batterie Royale (Royal Battery) a été mise en service de 1691 à 1759, bien qu'au départ le seul ennemi auquel la batterie ait 
été confrontée était la météo et la nature. Pendant cette période, il était entouré par la rivière et balayé par les marées, les courants
d'eau et la glace épaisse. Ces éléments ont causé d'importants dommages et, au fil des ans, de nombreuses réparations et ajustements
ont été nécessaires pour le maintenir intact. La batterie entreprit sa première et unique action en 1759. Le général James Wolfe
conduisit l'armée britannique à Quebèc et pendant trois mois, le commandant Monckton et ses canonniers bombardèrent la ville
depuis le rivage de Lèvis. Entre le 12 juillet et le 13 septembre, plus de 40 000 tirs et 10 000 obus sont tombés sur la ville. Parce
que la batterie royale était une fortification défensive bien connue, elle était une cible fréquente et pendant le bombardement, des
centaines de maisons derrière elle ont été réduites en ruines. La bataille des plaines d'Abraham le 13 septembre mit fin au siège et
cinq jours plus tard, la ville se rendit. Une fois sa fonction militaire devenue obsolète, la batterie a été utilisée comme quai. Au cours
du XIXe siècle, la batterie a été progressivement reconstruite et enfouie sous décharge. Il a été restauré en 1977 après la découverte
des ruines enfouies par des archéologues. Il y a dix répliques d'armes SBML de différents poids et tailles, mais pas de marques, de cyphres ou de marques de fabricants,
montées sur des chariots à canon naval en bois derrière une position de défense en bois reconstruite sur le boulevard Champlain.

 

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 1.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 2.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 3.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 4.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 5.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 6.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 7.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 8.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 9.

Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, No. 10.

There are a number of Cast Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns in Quebec City for which the location has not been confirmed.  These guns may have the following weights and measures:

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-3-?-? (>4,676 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC.

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-3-12 (4,688 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC.  

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 41-3-11 (4,687 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC.

Blomefield Cast Iron 18-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 4 of 4, weight 42-0-19 (4,723 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC. 

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Gun, weight 48-0-6 (5,382 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 47-3-4 (5,352 lbs), Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, England (WCo) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-1-21 (5,649 lbs), The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. TBC, CARRON, 1812) on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC.

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 4 of 4, weight 51-2-0 (5,768 lbs), The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. TBC, CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, location TBC.

Québec CityHMCS Montcalm

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Guns.  CFFS (Q) has four of these guns, all used for training.  One is on HMCS Montcalm’s parade square for students to practice gun drills, one is in a training simulator (FATS) at 170 Dalhousie Street, and two are operational and used on a range at CFB Valcartier.  All RCN Kingston Class vessels continue to operate the QF 40-mm Bofors LAA Gun.

Canons anti-aériens légers Bofors de 40 mm. CFFS (Q) possède quatre de ces canons, tous utilisés pour l'entraînement. 
L'une se trouve sur le terrain de parade du NCSM Montcalm pour permettre aux étudiants de s'entraîner à l'exercice des
armes à feu, une dans un simulateur d'entraînement (FATS) au 170, rue Dalhousie, et deux sont opérationnelles et utilisées
sur un champ de tir à la BFC Valcartier. Tous les navires de la classe Kingston de la MRC continuent d'utiliser le canon
Bofors LAA de 40 mm QF.

Shelldrake can be ordered online in softcover or e-book at these bookstores:

Shelldrake peut être commandé en ligne en couverture souple ou e-book dans ces librairies:

http://www.amazon.ca/Shelldrake-Canadian-Artillery-Museums-Monuments/dp/1469750007/ref=sr_1_44?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331231081&sr=1-44

http://www.amazon.com/Shelldrake-Canadian-Artillery-Museums-Monuments/dp/1469750007/ref=sr_1_45?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331231130&sr=1-45

http://bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000542288/Shelldrake.aspx

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shelldrake-harold-a-skaarup/1109124375?ean=9781469750002&itm=46&usri=harold+skaarup 

Photos and technical data on artillery preserved in Canada may be viewed by Province on separate pages on this website.

Les photos et les données techniques sur l'artillerie conservée au Canada peuvent être consultées par la province sur des 
pages distinctes de ce site Web.