Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (5) Ontario, Toronto, Queen's Park Legislature, University of Toronto

Artillery in Ontario, City of Toronto,

Queen's Park Legislature, and the

University of Toronto

Data current to 21 Feb 2020.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

According to the  1974 edition of ACP 125 Cansupp 1A, "Sheldrake" was the appointment title for the artillery representative in a headquarters.  "GOLF" was the arms indicator to be used by artillery callsigns on nets other than their own, especially those of the supported arms.

Toronto, Queen’s Park Legislature

 (Photo courtesy of Terry Honour)

 (Author Photos)

Russian Cast Iron 68-pounder, 8-inch Smoothbore Shell Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, stamped 1840, (Serial No. 27054), Crimean War trophy gun captured at Sebastopol, given to Toronto in 1859, southwest of building entrance.  Queen’s Park Legislature.

 

Russian Cast Iron 68-pounder, 8-inch Smoothbore Shell Gun with Millar pattern breeching ring, stamped 1840, (Serial No. 29769), Crimean War trophy gun captured at Sebastopol, given to Toronto in 1859, southeast of building entrance.  Queen’s Park Legislature.

 (Skeezix1000 Photo)

French Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Guns (two), broken parts, trunnions missing.  Two guns flank the West Entrance to the Whitney Block on Queen's Park Circle in Toronto.  The cannons were on the French naval ship Prudent, captured and burned by the British in June 1758 during the siege of Louisbourg.  Twenty cannons, from Prudent and other French ships sunk during the siege, were raised in 1899, two of which were acquired by the Government of Ontario.

Toronto, Riverdale Park

 

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-0-0 (6,272 lbs) under the cascabel, The Carron Company of Falkirk, Scotland (Serial No. 70450, CARRON, 1806) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand.  Riverdale Park East.

Toronto, University of Toronto

 

Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a wood gun carriage, recovered from Louisbourg Harbour, No. 1 of 2, University of Toronto, King’s College Circle. 

Cast Iron 32-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, mounted on a wood gun carriage, recovered from Louisbourg Harbour, No. 2 of 2, University of Toronto, King’s College Circle.