Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (5) Ontario, Madoc, Manitoulin Island, Mannotick, Massey, Meaford, Merrickville, Midland, Milton, Mississauga, Moose factory, Morrisburg, Mount, Mount Forest and Mountain Grove

Artillery in Ontario, 

Madoc, Manitoulin Island, Mannotick, Massey, Meaford, Merrickville, Midland, Milton, Mississauga, Moose Factory, Morrisburg, Mount, Mount Forest and Mountain Grove

Data current to 18 Nov 2019.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

Madoc

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. TBC), mounted on its Schlitten stand set on the roof of the Royal Canadian Legion, 33 Lawrence Street.

 (JustSomePics Photo)

 (Maxwell Toms Photo)

 (Terry Honour Photo)

German First World War 17-cm mittlerer Minenwerfer (17-cm mMW), (Serial Nr. 1157).  Thomas Thompson Memorial Park, St Lawrence Ave E.

Manitoulin Island

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. TBC), mounted on its Schlitten stand as part of the town cenotaph, No. 1 of 2.

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. TBC), no stand, mounted on iron posts as part of the town cenotaph, No. 2 of 2.

Mannotick

 (Maxwell Toms Photo)

Soviet 76.2-mm M1942 (Zis-3) Field Gun, Capital Memorial Cemetery.

Massey

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. TBC), mounted on its Schlitten stand in front of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 432, 320 Imperial Street.

Meaford

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, marked with King George III cypher, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  Georgian Bay Foundry reproduction.

Merrickville

 (Doktor Ellis Photo)

 (Terry Honour Photo)

 (jiggs11 Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, cenotaph.

Midland, Saint Marie among the Hurons

Bronze and Iron Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, known as the “Penetang Gun”, stamped 1630, LeGC with a crown above the breech.  The initials stand for “Le Grand Condé” who served under Prince Louis II as Captain General of the French Army in the mid-17th century.  The gun’s breech is made of Bronze which has been cast in a hexagonal shape.  Its iron barrel is reinforced with iron hoops.  The chase and breech-ends of the cannon are of separate construction.  The wrought iron construction of the chase is associated with guns of the late 15th and early 16th centuries.  The octagonal section of the cast bronze breech and the shape of the cascabel also indicate a date in the first half of the 16th century.  To be operational it would have been strapped with iron bands or strong ropes onto a wooden bed, which could itself be mounted on a yoke or carriage.  The gun would have been brought to Sainte-Marie by the Militia hired to protect the Jesuit Mission.  The gun is reputed to have been found in 1919 by Mr.  King of Christian Island which links it with the Jesuit missionaries who fled Sainte-Marie I in 1649.  The missionaries and a large group of Huron people spent the winter of 1649-50 establishing Sainte-Marie II on Christian Island, in Georgian Bay.  (Photos and information courtesy of Sainte-Marie among the Hurons Midland, Ontario.  Ministry of Tourism and Culture)

Midland

 (Kanadaguy Photo)

155-mm C1 (M1A2) Medium Howitzer on M1A2 Carriage, aka M114, manufactured at Sorel Industries Limited in Quebec, Queen Elizabeth II cypher.  CFR 34446.  The carriage plate reads: CARR. HOW. 155MM M1A2 CDN. SOREL INDUSTRIES LTD. CANADA (year TBC), REG. NO. CDN 168, INSP (symbol).  This gun stands in front of the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch No. 80.

Milton

 (Bob Elliott Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 16 (7.7-cm FK 16), (Serial Nr. 9563), L-7586, 1917.  This gun was captured by the 3rd Canadian Infantry Battalion, 1st Brigade of the 1st Canadian Division when the Canadian Corps crossed the Canal du Nord to take Bourlon Wood at Cambrai on 27 September 1918.  Canadian Military Heritage Museum.

Milton was also allocated four MG 08s, (Serial Nr. 3227), (Serial Nr. 3781), (Serial Nr. 6765), and (Serial Nr. 7157).

Mississauga

QF 40-mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft Gun, Picton.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4234051)

Ordnance QF 40-mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft Gun.  This gun stands in front of Unit 262, ANAF, 765 Third Street, beside the cenotaph.

Moose Factory

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 1, mounted on a wooden carriage, Centennial Park.

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 2, mounted on a wooden carriage, Centennial Park.

Cast Iron 12-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, No. 3, mounted on a wooden carriage, Centennial Park

Morrisburg, Crysler’s Farm Battlefield

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 50-2-12 (5,668 lbs), (Serial No. 70073, CARRON, 1806) on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  No. 1.  This gun is mounted west of the monument at the Crysler’s Farm Memorial, along Highway No. 2, 12 km East of Morrisburg.  No. 1. 

 (Terry Honour Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 51-0-24 (5,736 lbs), (Serial No. 69775, CARRON, 1806) on left trunnion, (24P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on an iron garrison carriage.  No. 2.  This gun is mounted East of the monument at the Crysler’s Farm Memorial.

 (Author Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 55-3-0 (6,244 lbs), (Serial No. 55032, CARRON 1796) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a wood Naval gun carriage.  No. 3. This gun is located at the entrance to the Crysler’s Farm Memorial.

One of the decisive battles of the War of 1812 was fought on the farm of John Crysler.  On 11 November 1813 Lieutenant-Colonel Joseph Morrison, with 800 British and Canadian regulars, militia and Indians, engaged an American force of 4,000 under Brigadier-General John Boyd.  The open terrain was suited to the training of the well-drilled British regulars who, after two hours of heavy fighting, routed the enemy.  This victory ended a major American thrust towards Montréal.

Morrisburg

 (Cam Martel Photo)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 2542), Kaiser Wilhelm I cypher.  This gun was captured by the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles on 26 August 1918 near Monchy, France.  It was put back into action by the 66th Battery CFA, NW of Monchy-le-Preux.  It stands beside the First World War Memorial in front of the South Dundas Justice Building.

 (Cam Martel Photo)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 1323),  Kaiser Wilhelm I cypher, no data.  This gun stands beside the First World War Memorial in front of the South Dundas Justice Building.  (One 10.5-cm gun was allocated to Morrisburg; it is not one of these).

Mountain

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun, possibly (Serial Nr. 2946b), captured by the 22nd Battalion on 15 Aug 1917 in the vicinity of Catapult Trench, Lens; or (Serial Nr. 3018), captured by the 54th Battalion on 27 Sep 1918 in Bourlon Wood, France.

Mount Forest

 (Balcer Photos)

German First World War 7.7-cm Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7.7-cm FK 96 n.A.), (Serial Nr. 268).  There is no official record of this gun.  It is stamped R.268.  L.393.  AWDr. On the right side below the breech, and gef. 1898. Fr. Kp. abg. 1907. F.F.E. under the breech.

155-mm M109 Self-propelled Howitzer turret on a heavy duty mounting in the War Memorial Park on Hwy 6.

Mountain Grove

 (Terry Honour Photo)

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. TBC).  No. 1 (North) of two guns flanking the town cenotaph.

German First World War 7.92-mm Maxim Spandau MG 08 Machinegun (Serial Nr. TBC).  No. 2 (South).