Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (5) Ontario, Caledonia, Cambridge Galt, Cardinal, Carleton Place, Cayuga, Chapleau, Chatham-Kent, Cobalt, Cobourg and Coe Hill

Artillery in Ontario, Caledonia, Cambridge Galt, Cardinal, Carleton Place, Cayuga, Chapleau, Chatham-Kent, Cobalt, Cobourg and Coe Hill

Data current to 5 Sep 2019.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

Caledonia

 (Lumbricus Photos)

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art (7.58-cm leMW), (Serial Nr. 48187), captured by the 7th Battalion (1st British Columbia), 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force, West of Villers-lez-Cagnicourt, France on 2 Sep 1918.  This trench mortar was placed in front of Royal Canadian Legion Branch 154, in 2016.

Cambridge Galt

 (JustSomePics Photos)

Russian Cast Iron 24-pounder 50-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, by Butyenev, with double-headed Eagle, Crimean War trophy, (Serial No. 29619), 24.  Captured by the British in the Crimean War, on display in Cambridge on 10 September 1855, given to Galt in 1863.  Mounted in Queen’s Square.  The left trunnion carries the serial number, the name of the maker and its director, the right trunnion is engraved with the calibre, type of gun, weight, and date of casting.

 (JustSomePics Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, J.A.  McIntosh Armoury.

Cardinal

 (jiggs11 Photos)

40-mm Bofors Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, located outside Royal Canadian Legion Branch 105.

Carleton Place

 (Maxwell J. Toms Photo)

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, CDN 215, 1959, No. 1 beside the town cenotaph.

105-mm C1A1 M2A2 Howitzer, CDN 38, 1955, No. 2 beside the town cenotaph.

Cayuga

 (JustSomePics Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight TBC, (Serial No. 71976, CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand.   No. 1 of 2 in front of the courthouse.

 (JustSomePics Photos)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight TBC, (Serial No. 71276, CARRON, 1807) on left trunnion, (32P) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, mounted on a concrete stand.  No. 2 of 2 in front of the courthouse.

Chapleau

 (Tim Laye Photo)

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art (7.58-cm leMW), (Serial Nr. 33025), no data, AEG M1916, mounted on an iron wheeled carriage.

Ordnance QF 17-pounder Anti-Tank Gun, town cenotaph, Harry Seale Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 5.  The RCA held 138 of these guns.

Chatham-Kent

SBML 6-pounder Gun captured on Fighting Island, Detroit River, 28 February 1838.

 (Michael Hugall Photo)

Blomefield Cast Iron 32-pounder 56-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight 56-1-0 (6,300 lbs), (WCo) (Walker & Company) on left trunnion, (Serial No. TBC) on right trunnion, King George III cypher, broad arrow mark, CV C K.  This gun faces up the Thames River, in Tecumseh Park.

Cobalt

 (Normand Roberge Photo)

90-mm M1A2 Anti-Aircraft Gun, (Serial No. 5623), Ord Dept USA WVT Arsenal.  Across from the Royal Canadian Legion. 

Cobourg

 (Terry Honour Photo)

SBML 32 Pounder Carronade with Blomefield pattern breeching ring, weight 17-3-0 (1,988 lbs).  This gun is set on a concrete stand under a sign  at the corner of Albert St and 3rd St.

 (Author Photos)

BL 12-pounder 6-cwt Gun Mk. IV, (Reg. No. 261), carriage Reg. No. 7616.  This gun was in service with 18 Field Battery, Regina.  It now stands in a downtown park.  It has been on loan since 1980 from the RCA Museum, CFB Shilo, Manitoba.

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

8-inch Mortar, dated 1886, S. Bowling, Great t., Ch. 211, Ra: 2000 yds, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 133.

 (Andre Blanchard Photo)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, Reg. No. CA10475, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 133.

Coe Hill

 (Terry Honour Photo)

German First World War 7.58-cm leichtes Minenwerfer neuer Art, (Serial Nr. 7594), mounted on a round iron stand.  This trench mortar was captured at Vimy Ridge by the 78th Battalion on 9 Oct 1917.  It is located near the cenotaph in front of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 581 on Main Street.