Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Artillery (1) British Columbia, Victoria, Maritime Museum of BC, 5 (BC) Field Artillery Regiment, and HMCS Malahat

Artillery preserved in the province of

British Columbia, Victoria, 

Maritime Museum of BC,

5 (BC) Field Artillery Regiment, and

HMCS Malahat

Data current to 16 Sep 2019.

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these guns to provide and update the data found on these web pages.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Guns and Artillery in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

For all official data concerning the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, please click on the link to their website:

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Website

Note: Back in the day, artillery in Canada was referred to by its radio call sign "Sheldrake".  It is now referred to by its "Golf" call sign.  (Acorn sends)

British Columbia

Victoria, Beacon Hill Park

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo, AM1545-S3-: CVA 586-145)

Chinese Bell, Torpedo and a "War Trophy" Field Gun, Beacon Hill Park, 1940.

 (City of Vancouver Archives Photo, AM1535-: CVA 99-1155.1)

Vancouver Volunteer Regiment Artillery hauling an RML 9 pounder 8 cwt gun and limber through a forest, 1917.

Victoria, Maritime Museum of British Columbia

 (Maxwell Toms Photo)

Bronze ½-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Rail Gun, possibly ca. 1457, large cypher,weight, maker and Serial No. unknown.  Maritime Museum of British Columbia.

 (Maxwell Toms Photo)

Cast Iron 4-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun with Blomefield-pattern breeching ring, weight unknown, Brander Potts and Co., no cypher, small gun made for the Hudson's Bay Company, mounted on a small wood naval gun carriage, Maritime Museum of British Columbia.

  (Maxwell Toms Photo)

Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight unknown, King George III cypher, (F. KINMAN 1808) (Francis Kinman at Woolwich, England) on the chase, John Pitt, 2nd Earl of Chatham, Master General of the Ordnance (MG) 1807-1810 cypher.  This gun is equipped with a fitting for an elevating screw, and is mounted on a wooden naval gun carriage in the Maritime Museum of British Columbia.

Cypher, General John Pitt, 2nd Earl of Chatham, Master General of the Ordnance 1801–1806  and 1807–1810

  (Maxwell Toms Photo)

Bronze 6-pounder 6-cwt Lyle Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, mounted on a naval carriage, Maritime Museum of British Columbia.  Possibly an artifact listed as a small SBML bronze Mortar, received from the RCN in 1953.  These guns were used to fire a safety line to aid in rescues.

Cast iron 9-pounder carronade on a wooden truck carriage, reported to have been part of the defences of the Hudson’s Bay Company’s Fort Rupert. It is mounted on a wood naval gun carriage.

Bronze SBML Coehorn mortar with King Geoge III cypher, mounted on a replica wooden box stand.

Nordenfelt Mk.2 five-barreled machine gun marked Enfield 1889, Serial No. 263.  This gun was part of the armament of HMCS Rainbow, the first vessel of the Royal Canadian Navy on the west coast.

2-pounder QF anti-aircraft gun. This gun was used for training and had part of the housing and barrel cut away to expose the internal mechanism to be able to demonstrate how it works.  It is without a mounting.  The 2-pounder was technically an enlarged version of the Maxim machine gun and became the standard Royal Navy short range anti-aircraft gun in the inter-war years and continued in service through the Second World War.  The 2-pounders were also made in Canada by Dominion Bridge during the Second World War, and in serviced on Canadian destroyers and corvettes.  They were installed in single, quadruple and octuple mountings.  The latter were mounted on capital ships and referred to as “Chicago Pianos”.  (Dale Mumford)

40-mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun, with part of the breech housing and barrel cut away for use as a training aid.  This Swedish designed gun generally began to replace the 2-pounder as the standard light anti-aircraft gun on British and Canadian naval vessels in the later years of the Second World War.  A power-operated version is still in service with the Royal Canadian Navy.

  (Maxwell Toms Photo)

Cast Iron ½-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, weight, maker and Serial No. unknown, mounted on a wood naval gun carriage, waterside walkway, Laurel Point.

Victoria, 5 (British Columbia) Field Artillery Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery

The 5th Field Artillery Regiment is a Primary Reserve Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) regiment based in Victoria.  15th Field Regiment is part of the 39 Canadian Brigade Group of Land Force Western Area.  5th Field Regiment sub units include the 55th Field Battery and the 56th Field Battery.

  (Maxwell Toms Photo)

 (Al Dadds Photos)

6-pounder 8-cwt QF Mk. I Hotchkiss Gun, (Serial No. 1585), previously served as part of the Victoria harbour coast defences until 1956.  Room 505 of the Armoury, 715 Bay Street.  Two guns of this type were mounted in the Victoria-Esquimalt Defences at Duntze Head from ca.1900-1904. 

7-pounder RML Gun. This British steel barrelled gun (there were some 7-pounder RML’s produced in bronze) was the smallest variety of rifled muzzle loader produced for British service.  This gun has been on display in the 5th Regiment, RCA Officer’s Mess for many years.  It is mounted on a steel carriage with two small wooden truck wheels at the front and a skid at the rear.  Its service history is unknown and there is no record of guns of this type having been issued to this regiment.  These guns were used as small (and hence easily transportable) siege pieces by the army and on small vessels by the navy.

   (Maxwell Toms Photo)

 (Al Dadds Photos)

  (Maxwell Toms Photo)

13-pounder 6-cwt QF Mk. I Field Gun, weight 7-3-26 (894 lbs), Queen Victoria cypher, RGF No. 26, I, 1881 on the right trunnion, 1° 3', muzzle stamped WHITWORTH S STEEL, 5929, trail marked W arrow D, RCD 1881, No. 55.

This gun is one of only six Guns of this type used in Canada, issued to the 5th Canadian Garrison Artillery (CGA) Field Company for the Victoria/Esquimalt fortress defences from ca.1897 to 1910.  The Commanding Officer of the 5th (BC) Field Battery, RCA arranged to have these gun returned to the unit in the early 1980s from Vernon Cadet Camp.

 (Maxwell Toms & Terry Honour Photos)

12-pounder 8-cwt QF Royal Navy Landing Gun, weight 7-3-10 (878 lbs), Gun Serial No. TBC, Breech Block Serial No. TBC.  King Edward VII cypher.  Carriage plate: Q,F, 12 Pr. Naval Trg, Made by R.C.D. Woolwich. 1899, Exd (Examined) at Portsmouth 1899, Wt Carriage Complete 6 Cwt. Admiralty No. 89, Kings Arrow.

 (Al Dadds Photos)

The 12-pounder 8-cwt QF Naval Landing Gun was carried on ships of the British and Commonwealth navies for use by naval landing parties.  This is one of two in Victoria.  These guns were almost entirely restricted to use as naval landing guns by sailors and marines. Its ammunition was separate Quick Firing (QF), which means the projectile and propellant were separate loading, the latter in an ejectable brass cartridge case; this same ammunition was also used by heavier shipboard 12-pounders. Typically, the landing gun appears on a low carriage, with small-diameter spoked wheels. Despite its 8 hundredweight (8-cwt), it had the same length of rifled bore as the 12-pounder 7-cwt. Nelson Lawry.  The Naval Landing Guns found in Canada probably originated on early ships of the Royal Canadian Navy, such as HMCS Niobe, HMCS Aurora, HMCS Rainbow and others.

 (Maxwell Toms Photo)

 (Al Dadds Photos)

25-pounder C Mk. 2 QF Field Gun with No. 9 circular firing platform, and Limber.  This was previously equipped with a funeral platform for the funeral of General Pearkes, who was the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia.

German First World War 7.92-mm Spandau MG 08 heavy machine gun (Serial Nr. unknown), inside the Canadian Scottish Regiment Museum in the Bay Street Armoury.

German First World War 7.92-mm Spandau MG 08/15 heavy machine gun (Serial Nr. unknown), inside the Canadian Scottish Regiment Museum in the Bay Street Armoury.

German Second World War 7.92-mm MG 34 heavy machine gun (Serial Nr. unknown), inside the Canadian Scottish Regiment Museum in the Bay Street Armoury.

German Second World War 7.92-mm MG 42 heavy machine gun (Serial Nr. unknown), inside the Canadian Scottish Regiment Museum in the Bay Street Armoury.

Japanese 7.92-mm Type 99 machine-gun inside the Museum.
 

 

  
 
 
 (Al Dadds Photos)
106-mm M40 Recoiless Rifle, CO-9809, inside the Museum.

 Victoria, HMCS Malahat

 (Richard Gear Photos)

12-pounder 8-cwt QF Naval Landing Gun, weight 8-0-0 (896 lbs), Gun Serial No. 1213, 1900, Breech Block Serial No. 2294 stamped out, new number 1213, dated 1910  King Edward VII cypher.  Carriage plate: Q.F. 12 Pr. Naval Trg, Made by (TBC) date (TBC), Exd (Examined) at (TBC).  Wt Carriage Complete 6 Cwt (TBC). Admiralty No. (TBC), Kings Arrow.

The original breechblock of the landing gun at HMCS Malahat has been replaced with a new and likely reworked block. The old serial number on the breechblock has been scratched out and a new serial number, 1213 (in 1910) at Malahat has been stamped on so that the parent gun and block continue to possess the same serial number. Apparently an upgrade was made in the QF breech mechanism a few years later, and new blocks were sent out from Britain.  The originals were likely returned to Woolwich or Elswick to be modified in turn and sent to another location.  (Nelson Lawry) 

 (Richard Gear Photos) 

Cast Iron possible 3-pounder Smoothbore Muzzleloading Gun, reproduction, ESQ 001 above the touchhole, mounted on a wood wheeled wood gun carriage, used for the "gun run" drills.

Victoria, Lieutenant-General E.C. Aston Armoury

German Second World War 7.92-mm MG 42 heavy machine gun (Serial Nr. TBC), inside the 39 Canadian Brigade Group Armoury Museum.

Portable Infantry Anti-Tank Projector (PIAT).

Victoria, Canadian Forces Ammunition Depot, Rocky Point

Part of CFB Esquimalt, Canadian Forces Ammunition Depot (CFAD) Rocky Point is one of four ammunition depots strategically located across Canada. It provides ammunition, explosives and related support services to CF operations and DND activities.

  

 (Al Dadds Photos)

4-inch/45 QF Mk. XVI* Twin Guns ((Serial No. unknown), left, and (Serial No. unknown), right, on a 4-inch High Angle Mk. XIX Twin Sight manufactured by the Vivian Engine Works, Vancouver BC, ring Company, No. Can 83, 1942.