|Armoured Fighting Vehicles and Tanks preserved in Canada 1: British Columbia
Armoured Fighting Vehicles preserved in British Columbia
The data found on this page has been compiled by the author. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any additions, correctons or amendments to this list of Armoured Fighting Vehicles in Canada would be most welcome.
If you have information and photographs of armoured fighting vehicles missing from this list that you are willing to share, updates would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
Data current to 26 May 2017.
Canadian M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 69301), built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30129780, “Caroline”. This tank is still in running order. It belongs to the 39th Combat Engineers Regiment and is currently on display at the Armoury (Old Area Support Unit facility) on Keith Wilson Road. (Photo courtesy of the Royal Canadian Legion, Chilliwack)
In 1946 the first of 294 M4A2 (76-mm) Wet Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS) Sherman tanks arrived at Camp Borden and at the Long Pointe Ordnance Depot in Montreal. The Canadians referred to this tank as the M4A2E8. 96 Stuart tanks were also delivered at the same time. The new Shermans were manufactured by the Fisher Tank Arsenal in Grand Blanc, Michigan between May 1944 and May 1945. M24 Chaffee light tanks were also purchased at this time. Compared with the Shermans used by Canadians in the Second World War, the ammunition storage in the new tanks was improved by surrounding the racks with water and etheylene glycol-filled jackets to reduce the probability of explosion in the event of penetration of the armour by enemy fire. The tanks equipped with this protection system were designated "Wet". The M4A2E8 was powered by a pair of side-by-side mounted General Motors 6046 diesel engines producing 375 hp mounted in the rear of the hull. The tank could sustain a speed of 48 kmh (30 mph). Its main armament was a 76-mm M1A2 long-barreled, high-velocity gun fitted with a muzzle brake. Its secondary armament included one Browning .30-calibre M1919A4 machine-gun mounted co-axially with the main gun, a bow machine-gun in the front of the hull, and a Browning .50-calibre machine-gun mounted on a post between the loader's and commander's hatches for AA protection. The HVSS system used four wheels per bogie instead of two, which allowed tracks that were wider (165-mm) to be installed, and which made for better performance on soft ground and allowed for a smoother ride. The M4A2E8 had a five-man crew. The driver and co-driver sat in the front of the hull with the driver on the left and co-driver on the right. The crew commander, loader and gunner sat in the turret. The crew commander's position was on the right side of the turret, the loader sat on his left and the gunner sat in front of the commander. After the first batch of the new tanks went to the RCD at Camp Borden 1946, another 30 went to the LdSH at Camp Wainwright, Alberta in March 1947. Training on the tanks by the LdSH was also conducted at Camp Sarcee in Alberta, and at Camp Petawawa when the RCD moved there in the spring of 1948.
M113 Tow Under Armour, on display at the Armoury (Old Area Support Unit facility) on Keith Wilson Road.
M113 Engineer Vehicle, on display at the Armoury (Old Area Support Unit facility) on Keith Wilson Road.
Universal Carrier, Canadian patrol, possibly Normandy, France, 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4233296)
Universal Carrier, Memorial, off Nancy Green Lake-Rossland Mead (3B), Fruitvale, BC.
Universal Carrier, Recce 41, No. 3, Rocky Mountain Rangers Museum.
M113 Armoured Personnel Carrier, in front of the J.R. Vicars Armoury.
M113 C & R Lynx, in front of the J.R. Vicars Armoury. (Google Earth Photo)
Canadian M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 69132), built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30129611, No. 53, Brigadier Angle Armoury, 720 Lawrence Ave.
M113 C & R Lynx, Brigadier Angle Armoury, 720 Lawrence Ave, Kelowna, BC.
M113A2 EVSEV in front of the LCol J.P. Fell Armoury (home of the 6th Fd Sqn), 1513 Forbes Ave. (John Eckersley Photo)
M38 A1 CAN 2¼ -ton 4 X 4 Jeep with ¼-ton trailer, painted in white with UN markings. 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion Armoury. (John Eckersley Photo)
IHC M62 5 Ton 6X6 Wrecker, 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion Armoury. (John Eckersley Photo)
GMC M135 CDN – 2½ Ton 6 X 6 Truck, 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion Armoury. (John Eckersley Photo)
M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 69087), built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30129566, “Cheetah”, Army, Navy & Air Force (ANAF) Hall, Unit No. 302, 9831 4th St. (Colin Stevens Photo 1, Maxwell Toms Photo 2)
Ram II tanks on maneuvers, ca 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4232743)
Ram II Tanks, Camp Borden, ca 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4232618)
Ram II tanks in service with the 27th Armoured Regiment (the Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment) of the 2nd Armoured Brigade and the North Nova Scotia Highlanders of the 9th Infantry Brigade on manoeuvres, conditioning for Second Front Operations. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No.3255723)
Ram II Cruiser Tank, (Shop No. 154), A13, (Serial No. WD CT39934), Beatty Street Drill Hall, 620 Beatty St. (Author Photo 1, June 1975, Mike Thornley Photo 2, British Columbia Regiment Photo 3)
Canadian M4A3(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tanks in Korea, ca 1952. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235604)
Canadian M4A3(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank B Sqn, LdSH (RC), Korea, 16 July 1952. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, PA115496, Paul E. Tomelin)
Canadian M4A2(76)W HVSS Sherman "Easy 8" tank (Serial No. 69192), built by Fisher, Reg. No. 30129671, No. 53, “Boss”, Beatty Street Drill Hall, 620 Beatty Street. (Photo courtesy of Mike Thornley)
M113 C & R Lynx, Armoury Park, 2901 18th Ave, Vernon, BC.
Ferret Scout Car Mk II. LGen E.C. Ashton Armoury Museum, 724 Vanalman Ave.
Ferret Scout car, LdSH, Cyprus. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235910)